Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah Crowley wanting holy water was showing that Crowley was less rigid in his thinking and less safe than Aph was. Aph assumed it was for personal sacrifice because Aph is an angel, Crowley knew demons might one day come for him because Crowley is a demon. Aph giving him the thermos is probably the moment Aph starts really crossing the line too.

I assumed Crowley wanted the holy water to suicide after the world ends because he couldn't stand living inn that world. Aziraphale clearly got that impression too because he says "but...you won't just be discorporated, you'll cease to exist". Using it in the bucket trap wasn't the original plan but Crowley's good at improvising so that's what happened.

WTF is "Aph"? If you're going to abbreviate Aziraphale it's just Az.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
They should have got Stephen Briggs to do it, honestly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Brian Cox was bad as Death. Just generally lacking in... I don’t know. Gravitas?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The_Doctor posted:

Brian Cox was bad as Death. Just generally lacking in... I don’t know. Gravitas?

I always read Death as monotone. Brian Cox was not monotone.

Edit: actually I read him like Marvin from the Hitchhiker’s guide series.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Death's voice should have been deeper and more breathy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Christopher Lee was the best. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bu6LTiZZac

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elephant Ambush posted:

Death's voice should have been deeper and more breathy.

Meaning of Life style?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

Edit: actually I read him like Marvin from the Hitchhiker’s guide series.
When I was very young, my mother would read me Adams and Pratchett books as bedtime stories, which is why I was weird and had no friends. She also did the same voice for Marvin and Death.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
REMIND ME HOW THE LITTLE HORSEY MOVES

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
KICKING VIGOROUSLY IS FUN

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh man, that moment when I'm In Love With My Car plays. Objectively the best Queen song. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adding more Queen songs was really a great move all around

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You literally can't go wrong adding more Queen.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The entire thing is very well casted but Jon Hamm is really a standout for reasons I can’t pin down. It’s not just that he stands out as an American but his character seems so wholesome

One of the things I love about Jon Hamm is apparently he just accidentally feel into Mad Men and his famous persona as that type of character. From what I read he was mostly into comedy coming up and even improv and was surprised as anyone when he got cast in a drama. So it's always funny to see him cast in somewhat funny roles because it's not what you expect from him, but it's really in his wheelhouse. He was goofy as poo poo on 30 Rock and even in that horrifying episode of Black Mirror he was funnier than you'd think. Just being that handsome and playing such a stern role on a prestige drama you have an idea of the guy, but I really think he just wants pies thrown in his face.

As for the series as whole, I really loved it. I read the book when I was a kid, and honestly didn't remember much about it. I kinda got Good Omens, Neverwhere, and American Gods mixed up in my head because I read them so long ago so I forgot what the plot even was until I started watching it. Micheal Sheen and David Tennant had amazing chemistry. All of the actors were really good. It was a bit off my radar because I'm so burned out on remakes and reboots and nothing original, but I thought it was really, really good.

I see how they set up a second season and I'd be okay with that, but I'd be totally fine with it just being this little mini-series.

RedSnapper posted:

After seeing two episodes - a little, yeah.

And a LOT of the narration could really be replaced by dialogue or action - the baby switch and burning of Agnes Nutter being the first that come to mind.

I don't usually like narration, but it's a lot like Hitchhiker's Guide, where I think you have to lean into it if you're turning into a show. You just miss too many jokes that I don't think would work as dialogue. I thought the baby switching thing worked perfectly and I don't know how you do that without narration because all of the characters are being fools who don't understand what is happening. You need that omniscient voice, I think.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Film is a visual medium though and dialogue is by far not the only option to adapt jokes that originate in writing. We've got like 120 years of film tradition and different approaches to draw from when it comes to conveying an idea visually, and a shitton of movies and shows have the viewer take an omniscient perspective to bring across events that characters have no idea are happening. In fact I'm prepared to claim it's the single easiest and most common way to do it. You don't need to explicitly tell the audience something they can see.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

1glitch0 posted:

One of the things I love about Jon Hamm is apparently he just accidentally feel into Mad Men and his famous persona as that type of character. From what I read he was mostly into comedy coming up and even improv and was surprised as anyone when he got cast in a drama. So it's always funny to see him cast in somewhat funny roles because it's not what you expect from him, but it's really in his wheelhouse. He was goofy as poo poo on 30 Rock and even in that horrifying episode of Black Mirror he was funnier than you'd think. Just being that handsome and playing such a stern role on a prestige drama you have an idea of the guy, but I really think he just wants pies thrown in his face.

Well, the sap does have dignity.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

He also appeared in one episode of Toast of London and was quite good (episode title "Hamm on Toast")

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

One of the things I love about Jon Hamm is apparently he just accidentally feel into Mad Men and his famous persona as that type of character. From what I read he was mostly into comedy coming up and even improv and was surprised as anyone when he got cast in a drama.

I can’t remember what podcast it was that he was interviewed on where he talked about that. I do recall it being eye-opening to me too and made me view him in a new light.

Also, can we talk about Jon Hamm choosing to jog in slightly-too-tight grey sweatpants? That was... unexpected.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

1glitch0 posted:

I see how they set up a second season and I'd be okay with that, but I'd be totally fine with it just being this little mini-series.

Neil and Terry did do a little bit of work on a sequel, it even had a name. So I guess it wouldn't be that weird for it to get adapted. I'm not really saying I want it, but I could see Neil doing it.

After all he was writing Neverwhere as the show was being made, the creative process of "adapting a book that isn't actually written" is something he's familiar with.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The working title was '668, The Neighbour of the Beast' IIRC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

One Swell Foop posted:

The working title was '668, The Neighbour of the Beast' IIRC.

Yep, it was!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Someone said that David Tennant was doing Billy Nighly from Still Crazy and now that's all I can think about it. It's not a terrible choice really.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I read good omens after a long pratchett kick and found that having his voice/vision interrupted was really bad, to the point where I felt it was a fun experiment, but ultimately not very good. Pratchett is a comic genius to me, and i was sad to see his style diluted.

I’ve only got the last episode to go, but I honestly feel gaiman should never be let anywhere near a script again. The book is super dated, but a decent writer could’ve adapted every idea with an eye towards making it work on the screen. I’m pretty it’s mostly me just not liking gaimans sensibilities, or maybe he thought his genius could force mediocre ideas to work, but pretty much none of the things in this show, especially the weird PG tone, clicked for me. It doesn’t help that it felt rushed pretty much every episode.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 16, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Someone said that David Tennant was doing Billy Nighly from Still Crazy and now that's all I can think about it. It's not a terrible choice really.

I think you mean Bill Nighy!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The_Doctor posted:

Also, can we talk about Jon Hamm choosing to jog in slightly-too-tight grey sweatpants? That was... unexpected.

Hamms got a huge hog. I really liked the show for all of the reasons already stated like the casting and chemistry. I just really wanted death to be voiced like the Discworld audiobooks. It really nailed the SPEAKING IN ALL CAPS vibe.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TK-42-1 posted:

I just really wanted death to be voiced like the Discworld audiobooks. It really nailed the SPEAKING IN ALL CAPS vibe.

So .. Brian Blessed?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Is this the book that has the 'all CDs left in a car turn into Queen's Greatest Hits' joke?

If it is, did they mention that on the TV?
If it isn't, which book am I thinking about?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Unkempt posted:

Is this the book that has the 'all CDs left in a car turn into Queen's Greatest Hits' joke?

If it is, did they mention that on the TV?
If it isn't, which book am I thinking about?

It is.

They reference it by playing Queen while Crowley drives around.

They also turn a Mozart song into Queen in real time.

One of the few instances of showing instead of telling.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

KPC_Mammon posted:

It is.

I thought it must be that. TBH I think a bit of telling might have come in handy there, it's not really a joke if he's just listening to Queen.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

KPC_Mammon posted:

It is.

I must have missed the Mozart bit. I had to tell the person I was watching it with that the car only playing Queen was the running joke.

Also I agree with the Death sentiment. The voice was not what expected to match ALL CAPS. And the scene with directions to the air base I felt landed kind of flat from how I remember reading it.

Overall enjoyable but definitely lacking in some areas.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why exactly did Crowley want holy water anyways? Was it just in case the other demons ever came for him he could put it in a bucket for a classic bucket of water on the head gag as they opened the door?

Pretty much.

IIRC, in the book there's no backstory to Crowley having holy water. It's just shown that he keeps some in case of emergency, and takes the opportunity to soak someone with it.

The show decides to fill a plot hole that never existed, and makes a big thing out of him trying for centuries to get his hands on that water. The gag would actually work way better if you didn't know what the secret weapon in his safe was until after he used it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Unkempt posted:

I thought it must be that. TBH I think a bit of telling might have come in handy there, it's not really a joke if he's just listening to Queen.

Yea, without telling it doesn't make sense.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Any gripes I had about this show evaporated in the instant Aziraphale exclaims "gently caress!"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Supercar Gautier posted:

The gag would actually work way better if you didn't know what the secret weapon in his safe was until after he used it.
That originally was the gag. Crowley's seen handling something dangerous like it's uranium, and then it turns out to be holy water.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Taear posted:

I think you mean Bill Nighy!

Oops, I always do that.

I read the book 25 years ago, so I'd forgotten most of it, but I know I envisioned Amathema as more of a dirty hippy, not a super hot goth librarian.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I read the book 25 years ago, so I'd forgotten most of it, but I know I envisioned Amathema as more of a dirty hippy, not a super hot goth librarian.

Do did I, but as always, new supercedes old.

Joke answer: Adria Arjona in thick glasses, man. How are you complaining? Forgive the pun, but good lord.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always imagined her as pretty goth but to be fair this is Neil Gaiman writing we're talking about here and also me reading

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

latinotwink1997 posted:

I must have missed the Mozart bit. I had to tell the person I was watching it with that the car only playing Queen was the running joke.

I read the book so long ago I totally don't remember the Queen joke. I just thought there was a lot of Queen songs because Queen is awesome.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I always imagined her as pretty goth but to be fair this is Neil Gaiman writing we're talking about here and also me reading

He married Amanda Palmer who is sort of a mix between a dirty hippy and a goth librarian, so it tracks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Queen joke is that Best Of Queen tapes are so ubiquitous in cars, the only explanation is that any tape you leave in a car for more than two weeks inexplicably becomes one. I'm not sure it even adapts well to a 2019 show as-is even if you do explain it. For one thing I have this vague notion that listening to Queen had a whole other cultural context in 1990 than it does today where everybody loves them. I even think in the book Crowley always came off as slightly frustrated with the Queen tapes all the time, whereas in the show he's just hip with the times.

You know what would have been cool is if they'd subtly rolled the gag that Hell is responsible for frustrating tech problems into it, like a joke about how Bluetooth in cars never pairs right or something.

really loving weird that the book is 30 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MisterBibs posted:

Do did I, but as always, new supercedes old.

Joke answer: Adria Arjona in thick glasses, man. How are you complaining? Forgive the pun, but good lord.

To answer the joke, I was not complaining.