Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Taear posted:

Yea I absolutely agree with you here.

For me the lord of the rings adaptions didn't capture the spirit whereas Hitchhiker's Guide did, because the mood that the book put me in is the same mood that the film did. I can't say that the Good Omens TV show did the same, although I still feel like it was close.

I hated the movie because they remake the earth at the end but it picks up at the moment it got destroyed. Like the whole point was they were remaking Earth but it wouldn’t be OUR Earth.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This was cool and good and I didn't even expect it to be out yet, feels like it was just announced still. I think demon-eyes on crowley was kind of a goofy choice but not enough to be a big deal. Better than I expected. I'm putting this up there with LotR in terms of adaptations that are as good as their sources.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MokBa posted:

That movie is so perfectly cast even with all the Americans that I have a hard time faulting it too badly. Plus good puppetry.

Casting an actor from New York as Ford was absolutely on point with the books, even though Arthur thinks he's from Guildford. Ford's unexpurgated Guide article on the Earth says that the first thing any visitor should do is go to New York and become a cab driver, because nobody will care what you look like as long as you speak English. Evidently movie Ford learned by doing and picked up the accent.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Khanstant posted:

This was cool and good and I didn't even expect it to be out yet, feels like it was just announced still. I think demon-eyes on crowley was kind of a goofy choice but not enough to be a big deal. Better than I expected. I'm putting this up there with LotR in terms of adaptations that are as good as their sources.

I dig, but than again it gave him a reason to wear lennon shades constantly which is very on brand.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think the only issue I had with Tennant is that he looked too slimy to be Crowley.

I expected him to be more charming. Less estate agent and more lawyer, you don't like him but he sweeps you off your feet somehow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taear posted:

I think the only issue I had with Tennant is that he looked too slimy to be Crowley.

I expected him to be more charming. Less estate agent and more lawyer, you don't like him but he sweeps you off your feet somehow.

Jon Hamm as Crowley

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Jon Hamm as Crowley

You know what, yea absolutely.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The demons were well acted I thought.

Beelzebub was loving excellent. Totally evil/spiteful/uncaring all in one go. Wish there was more of her.
Hastur was good too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

Jon Hamm as Crowley

Jon Hamm as Newt

Jon Hamm as Shadwell

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

precision posted:

Jon Hamm as Newt

Jon Hamm as Shadwell

Jon Hamm as Madame Tracy.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

precision posted:

Jon Hamm as Newt

Jedit posted:

Jon Hamm as Madame Tracy.

Jon Hamm as Anathema

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I thought tenant was spot on personally but I could see it.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just finished it. It rules, has a very Douglas Adams feel, which from what I understand is very Terry Pratchett (I've never read any of his books).

Everything with Crowley and Aziraphale was great, everything else felt a little....BBC Sci Fi if you know what I mean. The horsemen of the apocalypse were maybe the cringiest part of it, but it is what it is. They did what they needed to.

Would be cool if they could come back for another season. Aziraphale and Crowley hopping around in history is a show enough as is.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 24, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

*Kicks in the door, dashes into room*

Ok hear me out, the forces of heaven and hell want to change the past to make sure the Apocalypse happens, and Crowley and Aziraphale team up to stop them. And they have a magic car that can travel through time and transform into different shapes and please stop dialing 911 I'm almost finished.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I hope it doesn't come back. Gaiman is explicitly disinterested in showrunning again, he did the show because Terry wanted it to happen and he really didn't have a good time doing it, and honestly what's even the point? Even without Gaiman involved there's nothing left to say that needs or wants to be said. One and done.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mike N Eich posted:

Would be cool if they could come back for another season. Aziraphale and Crowley hopping around in history is a show enough as is.
Yeah I'm glad Neil just did what he did with Hob and Morpheus in the Sandman for Aziraphale and Crowley over the years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wouldn't want them to actually try to make an "Aziraphael and Crowley's Adventures Near Famous Events in History" TV show it's just that the beginning of episode 3 [4?] was far and away my favorite thing in the whole series. I think it just reminded me of why I liked Black Adder or Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

qirex fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 24, 2019

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Az dancing the Gavotte is blessed and pure. Sheen stole the goddarn show for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

Just finished it. It rules, has a very Douglas Adams feel, which from what I understand is very Terry Pratchett (I've never read any of his books).

You should remedy that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

I wouldn't want them to actually try to make an "Aziraphael and Crowley's Adventures Near Famous Events in History" TV show it's just that the beginning of episode 3 [4?] was far and away my favorite thing in the whole series. I think it just reminded me of why I liked Black Adder or Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

Oh man, Tennant/Sheen for another adaptation of Ros and Guil please

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I feel like this show should be 100% in my wheelhouse, but after the first 2 episodes I'm kind of struggling to maintain interest. The narration is just :effort:, and so far it feels like 3-4 episodes of content stretched out to fill 6, which seems insane for a book that's like 500 pages long in paperback. I'm not sure if it's trying to set up a ton of threads that all pay off at the end or what, but it feels too much like work just to get to a couple good bits here and there.

Does it get more funny/less funny/stay about the same? Is there some kind of great payoff at the end?

e: I will say this, Agnes booby trapping herself for her burning at the stake did make my day. :v:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it picks up significantly after ep2

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sean10mm posted:

e: I will say this, Agnes booby trapping herself for her burning at the stake did make my day. :v:

Pretty rad shoutout to Anne Askew I should say.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

He's not really popular or successful or charismatic in the book. There's a reason he really only has one friend, and both he and Aziraphale are pretty explicitly lonely.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's not really popular or successful or charismatic in the book. There's a reason he really only has one friend, and both he and Aziraphale are pretty explicitly lonely.

well, duh. They're protagonists in what is 50% a gaiman novel. isolated social outcasts are his go-to archetype.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

precision posted:

Oh man, Tennant/Sheen for another adaptation of Ros and Guil please

Natalie Walker, Internet darling, has got a fix for you

https://mobile.twitter.com/nwalks/status/1134884181169901569

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mike N Eich posted:

Everything with Crowley and Aziraphale was great, everything else felt a little....BBC Sci Fi if you know what I mean. The horsemen of the apocalypse were maybe the cringiest part of it, but it is what it is. They did what they needed to.

I've read some Pratchett and he always seemed too cutesy for my taste. But mix him with the cynicism of Neil Gaiman and yeah you pretty much get Douglas Adams.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

I've read some Pratchett and he always seemed too cutesy for my taste. But mix him with the cynicism of Neil Gaiman and yeah you pretty much get Douglas Adams.

Pratchett was way more serious than Adams. What were you reading?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, seriously. If you didn’t get Terry’s cynicism (and he uses much more varied strokes than Gaiman ever does), I feel like you really missed out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can see how you'd miss it for the wacky inversions of genre staples and plots where things generally work out for the better, but hoo boy once you find it.

Adams was pretty serious, but stylistically more sardonically observant I'd call it. Gaiman actually strikes me as the least cynical of the three, it just seems that way on the surface because he's got the most serious style and darkest subject matter, whereas Pratchett's got the lightest style that buries a desperately bleak world view.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I always took that to be because they're immortal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

well, duh. They're protagonists in what is 50% a gaiman novel. isolated social outcasts are his go-to archetype.

Neil and Terry used to say that the parts of the book that people assumed were written by one of them were actually written by the other

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

precision posted:

Neil and Terry used to say that the parts of the book that people assumed were written by one of them were actually written by the other

I refuse to believe that Gaiman didn't write the bit with all the maggots.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

yeah but what do they know? pfft, writers.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

precision posted:

Didn't they also say that everything went under so many revisions that they no longer remembered who wrote what?

It was Gaiman's first novel, I could see Pratchett deflecting those sorts of questions so his friend could get some credit for the good parts of the book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
IIRC the big one was that Gaiman mostly wrote the Horsemen stuff, when people assumed because of Death that Terry had done

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

precision posted:

Reminds me of Blackadder; Ben Elton said people assumed that Richard Curtis was responsible for all the historical gags, while he did all the crude humor, when it was actually the other way around.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Just have to throw in a word for PG Wodehouse, who was the original master of the Pratchett/Adams voice. Might not be to everyone's taste as Bertie Wooster's worst threats are domineering aunts, potential engagements, and wayward silverware, but when he's good he's easily funnier than either of them. Code of the Woosters is a good intro starting point.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Disconnecticus posted:

Just have to throw in a word for PG Wodehouse, who was the original master of the Pratchett/Adams voice. Might not be to everyone's taste as Bertie Wooster's worst threats are domineering aunts, potential engagements, and wayward silverware, but when he's good he's easily funnier than either of them. Code of the Woosters is a good intro starting point.

I really need to read some of that, I absolutely adore the TV series with Laurie and Fry. The entire run of House whenever I'd see a preview with Hugh Laurie making some kind of grim, dour face all I could think of was Bertie Wooster with some gormless expression and giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

One Swell Foop posted:

The working title was '668, The Neighbour of the Beast' IIRC.
Boy do I have a surprise for you. (I read all of these books back in the 90s when I would devour anything vaguely humorous that was also fantasy or sci-fi adjacent.)