Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Be The New Tory Leader?
This poll is closed.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson 71 12.66%
Michael Andrew Kaajh'Kaalbh Gove 22 3.92%
Jeremy *cough*unt 29 5.17%
James, Cleverly 1 0.18%
App Mancock 4 0.71%
The Brexit Party 31 5.53%
Rory 'Midnight Oil' Stewart 15 2.67%
Mark 'Wedding Crasher' Harper 0 0%
Kit 'Tokelau Smith' Malthouse 0 0%
Priti 'Little Liar' Patel 2 0.36%
Dominic 'Rennie' Raab 11 1.96%
'Andrea' Leadsom 5 0.89%
Jess Phillips 31 5.53%
Esther McVey 1 0.18%
Jacobus Rhesus-Moggus 6 1.07%
Dr. Ivo Robotnik 75 13.37%
Alastair Campbell 12 2.14%
Sinn Fein Dad 46 8.20%
Pissflaps 199 35.47%
Total: 561 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

very interesting how the guardian and that are scrambling to present the tory leadership election as legit and normal but are aware discussing any of the cunts running for PM falls apart the moment you look at their monstrous voting records, so they all focus on the most trivial shite imaginable like e.g how rory stewart eats boiled pheasant instead of the usual tory diet of orphan blood and virgin hymen and this makes him a Good Decent Normal Person, lol cheers hadley freeman I'll bear that in mind when another million children are in poverty a year from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

mehall posted:

We really should do another UKMT Glasgow meet up, I didn't make it to the last one.

I didn’t make it to the last one either so I’d be up for this. Perhaps we can time it for the next glimpse of summer Glasgow gets a shot of.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Those of us not in or near Glasgow are feeling pretty miffed rn

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Sloth Life posted:

I have absolutely no desire to meet or to be met.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

very interesting how the guardian and that are scrambling to present the tory leadership election as legit and normal but are aware discussing any of the cunts running for PM falls apart the moment you look at their monstrous voting records, so they all focus on the most trivial shite imaginable like e.g how rory stewart eats boiled pheasant instead of the usual tory diet of orphan blood and virgin hymen and this makes him a Good Decent Normal Person, lol cheers hadley freeman I'll bear that in mind when another million children are in poverty a year from now

Not to mention the media going along with the charade that somehow the opinions of anyone other than Tory MPs (and maybe the membership) matters.

I mean the sheer farce of holding national televised debates when the selectorate numbers about 300, roughly 5% of whom will be on the stage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sloth Life posted:

Not even sure why'd you even arrange a UKMT meet if I'm not going to be there tbh :thunkher:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

salt and vinegar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jabby posted:

Not to mention the media going along with the charade that somehow the opinions of anyone other than Tory MPs (and maybe the membership) matters.

I mean the sheer farce of holding national televised debates when the selectorate numbers about 300, roughly 5% of whom will be on the stage.

It's actually good though because it lets the general public see just how insane they will have to be to pander to their members

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Maybe it's time for a Lord to be PM again :wotwot:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Farecoal posted:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Farecoal posted:

:agreed:

https://www.buckethead4maidenhead.com/

Lord Buckethead posted:

1. The abolition of the Lords (except me).

4. Ceefax to be brought back immediately, with The Oracle and other Teletext services to be rolled out by the next Parliament.

6. Buckethead on Brexit: a referendum should be held about whether there should be a second referendum.

10. Legalisation of the hunting of fox-hunters.
11. New voting age limit of 16 to be introduced. New voting age limit of 80 to be introduced too.
12. Katie Hopkins to be banished to the Phantom Zone.

14. Prospective MPs to live in the seat they wish to represent for at least five years before election, to improve local representation in Parliament.
15. Free bikes for everyone, to help combat obesity, traffic congestion and bike theft.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
11, 14 and 15 are genuinely good and realistically achievable ideas. I wish 12 was. I'm less sure of 1 if only because they're the last line of defense between poo poo ideas governments have and would like to see what it would be replaced with first.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
American history podcast The Dollop just did a really good episode on The Landlords game if you want to know just how ironically hosed the history of Monopoly is.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://twitter.com/_curlytrill/status/1131913786808516609

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can roll your own Teletext/Ceefax with a Raspberry Pi, it's called Teefax and can pull content direct from the internet and encode it.

I'm not sure whether it can do the background music at the same time though yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUesc8pXj4

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Just been talking to a councillor from a neighbouring CLP and she said, "I hear your CLP is non-functioning." I mean, it's true, but drat, WOMAN!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

StarkingBarfish posted:

11, 14 and 15 are genuinely good and realistically achievable ideas. I wish 12 was. I'm less sure of 1 if only because they're the last line of defense between poo poo ideas governments have and would like to see what it would be replaced with first.

4 is a genius policy. I honestly think any party could win a landslide by pledging to bring back Ceefax coupled with a policy to implement a nationwide rubbish sorting and processing infrastructure with local weekly collection of one, big bin from each household.

Guavanaut posted:

You can roll your own Teletext/Ceefax with a Raspberry Pi, it's called Teefax and can pull content direct from the internet and encode it.

I'm not sure whether it can do the background music at the same time though yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUesc8pXj4

It sounds like they just used the music from all the necking scenes in James Bond films up to the 1990s

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think people love having lots of bins, just want them collecting more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rarity posted:

Not even sure why'd you even arrange a UKMT meet if I'm not going to be there tbh :thunkher:

I do believe you've hit upon it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

crispix posted:

a policy to implement a nationwide rubbish sorting and processing infrastructure with local weekly collection of one, big bin from each household.
the idea of abolishing local government is pretty attractive to me, but googling that phrase the first result is a ron liddle spectator article so consider me chastised

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sloth Life posted:

Hey now we had a MEATY GOONS in London last month and Im happy to organise something in Cambridge if any of you fuckers are nearby.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rarity posted:

I would never go to a meet that couldn't guarantee that I would be there.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
my biggest problem with local government is that it's anti-redistributive, but that could be solved by a progressive central government and the abolition of council tax. my second biggest problem is that voters don't care enough about it or about local media to provide effective oversight. that i guess could also be fixed with more auditing and standards from central government, but at that point it starts to feel like you may as well get rid of the whole thing and replace it with a branch of the civil service

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

They just went over the tory membership last time

Mind you I don't think any tory mps like him either

Well, no, the other final candidate dropped out. Don't see that happening this time

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

coffeetable posted:

the idea of abolishing local government is pretty attractive to me, but googling that phrase the first result is a ron liddle spectator article so consider me chastised

I actually have in mind a model where local councils continue to be responsible for the local collection.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You evidently don't talk to many old people. Too many confusing bins and recycling-gone-mad and lazy-bin-men-not-arsed-with-the-job-like-in-the-good-old-days-when-they-had-to-hoy-big-metal-dustbins-about-all-day is an issue that could make them forget all about Brexit in the space of a week

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My nan used to complain about the bin being too big cos she couldn't shift it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

My nan used to complain about the bin being too big cos she couldn't shift it.

The bin men here used to come into people's gardens and lift the bin from wherever it was. Some old folk are still bitter about having to wheel their bins out to be collected by these modern namby-pamby excuses for bin men :bahgawd:

You should have seen what happened when they started putting stickers on the bins for people having sorted their rubbish incorrectly, threatening to refuse collection. If the council hadn't backed off I think there would have been bloodshed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She sort of did take that positon but she was nice to the bin man and they did collect it for her, literally couldn't shift it out of the yard, also managed to get a slightly smaller one off the council.

She didn't even put much in it, so she also didn't have to do recycling.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

crispix posted:

old folk are ... bitter ... rubbish

Yes I agree

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seeking thread suggestions on games (video or otherwise) that put forward leftist arguments. Also interested in an critical of liberalism from the left perspective.
The Ezio trilogy (2 / Brotherhood / Revelations) of Assassin's Creed is heavily lefty, especially the hidden stuff you unlock by doing the boring real world stuff and the animus glitches:

Basically the Templars represent centre-right authoritarianism and the assassins represent anarchist leftism.

In the Ezio trilogy, it gives you a history of the world and how the templars were assholes, the church and slavery were methods of control, and is basically an excellent anticapitalism primer. It frames it as 'the templars were secretly behind all of this nasty poo poo using magic superweapons,' but it still leaves the reader with the impression that capitalism and control are just the worst.

The world history lesson culminates with a stolen message from the templars around the time of the abolition of slavery saying 'poo poo we need a new system of control' and immediately mass entertainment pops up. :tinfoil:

Plus you can punch the Borgia antipope in the face, where else can you say you can do that?

The controls are so much better in Origins and Odyssey but the Ezio trilogy is great and absolutely worth playing (just not on PC because it still uses dodgy copy protection I think).

Most of the AC series is very, very lefty / anarchist in its outlook. I guess it is critical of liberalism in that the enemy are effectively free market capitalists (they claim to be doing it in the name of order and control and it's just a coincidence that making a poo poo ton of money is the best method of maintaining that control).

There is also the idea that you do need something like the assassins in an anarchist utopia, because assholes are always going to pop up and cause poo poo, so you do need someone willing to keep the weeds pruned so that the general population can get on with being free without someone using that freedom to gently caress everyone back into capitalism.

The Hidden Ones DLC for Origins is also good because it explores the role of the assassins as protectors and how it can all go wrong unless everyone is on the same altruistic page.

Skip 1 because it hasn't aged well and Rogue because it's written from the templar perspective and also it's dull as gently caress. Skip 3 unless your kink is the American revolution. 2, 4 and Origins are must plays (just probably not one after another, they are huge games). I haven't played Unity, Syndicate, Odyssey or any of the mobile games.

4 is probably the most communist of the lot if you only play the plot halfway through. The meta game company you are working for in the 'real world' bits is a templar front and some of the memos you find say how they are trying to rewrite how the anarchist paradise was doomed to failure. Plus ancient alien bullshit.

5/7 good series of games.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I straight up just paid for a second garden waste bin, love me some bins.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 1, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

American history podcast The Dollop just did a really good episode on The Landlords game if you want to know just how ironically hosed the history of Monopoly is.

And they're doing a UK tour later this year!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is this a crossover episode!?

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1134793789866950656?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think chapo had basically the same response and it doesn't stop being funny.

It me, mr marketman here to tell you how the market is just a magical hole you shovel stuff into and money comes out!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Perhaps we can time it for the next glimpse of summer Glasgow gets a shot of.

half an hour isn't very long for a meetup

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Braggart posted:

A genuinely good Ronya post.

But you should apologise for your callous words about mental health before.

Liberals never apologise

See Tower, Tin

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On the topic of left podcasts:
Stats for Lefties - Pod of the Stats for Lefties twitter. Deals in...uh...stats for lefties. Often in depth.
Media Democracy Pod - Examines our garbage media, and what can be done to improve it - as well as news commentary.
Boonta Vista - Australian focused commentary on all the political insanity from the land down under.
Politics Theory Other - UK based, podcating about radical politics, critical theory, and culture. Pretty informative.

And also, as it's been six months, an updated Previous Threads list:
:siren: Previous Threads :siren:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 1, 2019

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
there's only one video game that'll teach you anything about politics

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DExEU's Midnight Runners "Come On Arlene" still has to be one of the best thread titles ever.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

If we're including people who've been to at most 1 meeting of their CLP then add me to the ranks of the hard-left entryists corrupting the moderate and sensible labour party. I'm currently infiltrating the innocent CLP of Stockon South where thanks to my cunning plan of ignoring all the emails they keep sending me and never attending meetings will somehow bring to fruition the 1000 year Corbynista Reich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Top notch us state department propaganda from the BBC. Check out her title in the article

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/st...ingawful.com%2F