Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Be The New Tory Leader?
This poll is closed.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson 71 12.66%
Michael Andrew Kaajh'Kaalbh Gove 22 3.92%
Jeremy *cough*unt 29 5.17%
James, Cleverly 1 0.18%
App Mancock 4 0.71%
The Brexit Party 31 5.53%
Rory 'Midnight Oil' Stewart 15 2.67%
Mark 'Wedding Crasher' Harper 0 0%
Kit 'Tokelau Smith' Malthouse 0 0%
Priti 'Little Liar' Patel 2 0.36%
Dominic 'Rennie' Raab 11 1.96%
'Andrea' Leadsom 5 0.89%
Jess Phillips 31 5.53%
Esther McVey 1 0.18%
Jacobus Rhesus-Moggus 6 1.07%
Dr. Ivo Robotnik 75 13.37%
Alastair Campbell 12 2.14%
Sinn Fein Dad 46 8.20%
Pissflaps 199 35.47%
Total: 561 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lycus posted:

Is Rory Stewart your guys's Beto/Mayor Butt? "Moderate" guy that very few people care about, but the media artificially pushes as the next big thing?

I wasn't aware he was anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

Is Brexit still strong and stable?

What's the latest plan?

What are you talking about? Nothing has changed. We've always been clear about the need to send a strong message.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hopefully it cost the Brexiteers a fair bit of oligarch cash to contest the seat which is gone now

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

kustomkarkommando posted:

Electoral Calculus predicts a BXP majority if last nights swings where's applied nationally

How does that work? They didn't get the most votes.

Edit: Oh, the swings

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Well if the battle is lost you can stop voting now

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You'd have thought the obvious line of attack on Gove and Leadsom would be to have them jailed for the crimes they've publicly admitted to committing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

I'm glad I'm smart and bought during the bull trap :grovertoot:

Kinda needs to be adjusted for inflation to really mean anything

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

jabby posted:

My commute is about 80 miles a day, which works out over £200 a month in diesel. If you add in insurance/tax/repairs I bet my car costs me close to £300 a month.

That's a mad commute to be doing solo in a car, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hell yeah.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what about when the government taxes you and gives the money to a company that gives it to the shareholders

and when the Conservative party taxes you and gives the money to a company that gives it to the shareholders who donate some of it to the Conservative party in order to secure similar arrangements in future

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Tory leadership election is being done how we should've done the Brexit votes - big list of options, no-hopers like no-deal eliminated early, then a referendum between the two most popular options at the end.

And we can fund it out of Boris Johnson's pocket.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So how many more votes before we are cursed with Boris?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jose posted:

I feel really bad about a job I applied for today but I'm not sharing who with for obvious reasons except I really need a job

Do the absolute minimum to not get fired, same as everyone else

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Not great. I have a friend who made the mistake of getting a master's in her field and couldn't get a job in it. Now she gets turned off every interview for being overqualified and they look at her like an alien assuming she'll be a weirdo who won't fit in.

Wouldn't it make sense to just leave it off the CV for jobs where overqualification is a worry? Actual government ministers get away with making up qualifications they don't have, McDonalds aren't going to throw you in prison for not mentioning your Art History MA.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

crispix posted:

Prison, no, but I have heard of employers abusing the right to sack people over quite trivial details in their application materials to get rid of people they take a dislike to.

You could probably find anything you wanted if you wanted to sack someone though. Especially now that you have to pay to get an employment tribunal.

Plus, if you get sacked that means you got the job, which puts you ahead of the dude who wasn't even considered due to their MA.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1140886567260753926?s=21

Lmao Tories would rather see their party destroyed than Corbyn become Prime Minister.

How the hell did Brexit become a religion

There has to be a point when people don't get to vote any more because they're clearly insane, and we're well beyond it

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

BBC Assistant Political tweets that the remaining candidates will gouge each other's eyes out until one remains, perhaps two if the victor is really lucky:

https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1141034594046808066

Do they not also need Boris's votes? Or are those regarded as a lost cause for some reason?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Aphex- posted:

I would give anything to live in Canada, British Columbia in particular but I'm 31 already so would just miss out on this. :negative:

Snow and mosquitoes might change your mind

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd far prefer to see 'we will re-nationalise the NHS, public transport, schools, and utilities, and we will pay for it by expropriating the wealth of the hyper-wealthy' than 'lol the fake goofball said a thing'.

You say the former, others say the latter.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Was it really this easy all along

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can I just ask, why specifically is A/C bad for the environment? Is it just because it uses a ton of power and power tends to come from fossil fuels, or do the units themselves produce carbon / pollution?

This was my understanding.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You don't need the support of your CLP to want to stand. In fact, you're unlikely to get the support of your CLP if you don't want to stand.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

it's gonna be a while yet before you all acknowledge it's a uniquely unappealing policy that gains labour nothing while alienating literally everyone won't it.

I dunno, saying "gently caress you and how you voted, we're not doing Brexit in any way despite what we said after the referendum" seems fairly alienating.

Especially if PM Boris just no-deals in three months time and that alienation was completely pointless.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

IrvingWashington posted:

blockchain

I... I don't know if I'm joking

Oh poo poo, at first I thought it was at least "Snitch and we'll pay you" but it's actually "Snitch and get a lottery ticket"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

my lack of Britishness.

this changes everything