Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The grind loop has completely caught me. I tried this game out on PS4 years ago, but, I wasn't really won over. But somehow the new rework got me super interested. I hope I can get those 100+ Lantern cores before the end of the month :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fancy Hat! posted:

The grind loop has completely caught me. I tried this game out on PS4 years ago, but, I wasn't really won over. But somehow the new rework got me super interested. I hope I can get those 100+ Lantern cores before the end of the month :v

That one is definitely a grind. 250 of them and you earn 5 per escalation. I've been able to get 6 before on a patrol, but typically I'll only find 2 of them on average before I help my teammates kill the behemoth.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Haha, oops. Completely forgot to check the date of the last post when I bumped.

But yeah, last big patch gave us an entirely new Ramsgate, as well as a full sword rework, so now it's a bit more complex than "spam elements forever".

The absolute best change in Ramsgate is that Wils and Moyra now share a place, and it's right in front of where you drop in after a hunt.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I only played in old Ramsgate like... a long time ago, back when the Battle Pass was Ninja Themed so I can't remember, how far away were the Weapons/Armor places?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I recently got into the game as well but have burned through all of the content except trials so far. I really enjoyed it, definitely has some good ideas that Monster Hunter is lacking. Especially the interrupt mechanics.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hello Dauntless thread. The game just had a huge update today. The devs have completely changed the way progression works again, and have also made changes to the way you hunt.

The power scale has changed a lot now. Gear score now plays a more important role in attack and defense. There are no more diminishing returns to being way above or way below a Behemoth's target score and each point of difference has a bigger effect on attack/defense. Elemental bonuses have also been doubled. There is a lot more incentive to actually care about which gear you bring with you rather than what gives the best perk slot combinations.

Weapons no longer upgrade to +15. Weapons are now tiered and have an increasing amount of base power as you go up in tier. It isn't that much, though, as a higher tier weapon will have, like, 20 power, versus a lower tiered one with 10. Most of your power comes from your weapon class level. As you fight with a weapon class, it levels up. Each time it levels up you get somewhere around +20 attack/defense score. However, the lower tiered equipment have +1 perks while higher tiered have +2 perks.

Once you reach level 20 on a weapon class, you can spend a type of in-game currency and prestige yourself back down to level 1. Each time you do this you unlock a new permanent passive buff (although there is a limit per weapon class on how many buffs you can unlock before prestige gives you nothing).

When you prestige, you get an item that lets you power up a weapon or piece of gear. It maxes the gear score of the item and makes the gear's perk +3. All powered up weapons and gear have the same stats. Basically, the bad tier 1 gear with +1 gear perks and low power becomes just as good as top tier gear.

Patrol and pursuit have been removed from the game. They made most of the islands bigger and added a bunch of new islands to the game. You basically have a list of all the islands and what behemoths are found on them and how strong they are. It is 6 players per island and you free roam around fighting Behemoths that spawn. There are about 3-4 Behemoths that spawn on the island so you can end up fighting it yourself, or with a whole team of 6. There are also special zone events that pop up that give a lot of rewards if you complete it. Each island has 3 different zone events and you can see what they are when looking through the list of islands.

There is also a new "Slayer Track" thingy where you spend different types of currencies to unlock potions, islands, buffs, etc.

So yeah. There you go. Honestly, I think I prefer this new system compared to what it used to be. Lots of people were angry, though, as private hunts are pretty much gone. But I don't care that much because I never did private hunts.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 4, 2020

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wow, sounds like it's more like Monster Hunter and you now roam around an open area hunting the behemoths that roam around. What a wild and probably good change.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

The new hunting grounds and especially the island events are good fun, though I'm sad at losing solo hunts.

The update has put me in a weird position though... It transfered my main weapons over at max level, but hasn't given me access to any level-appropriate hunts - literally everything I can do is classified as "Too Easy". Based on my progress so far I'm still around 15+ hours of grinding away from accessing stuff like reforging or high level hunts, which is compounded by the fact that hunting monsters below your weapon level gives less exp so if I want to use my favourite weapons it's going to take even longer. I'm not sure if this is really worth my time anymore.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rage McDougal posted:

The new hunting grounds and especially the island events are good fun, though I'm sad at losing solo hunts.

The update has put me in a weird position though... It transfered my main weapons over at max level, but hasn't given me access to any level-appropriate hunts - literally everything I can do is classified as "Too Easy". Based on my progress so far I'm still around 15+ hours of grinding away from accessing stuff like reforging or high level hunts, which is compounded by the fact that hunting monsters below your weapon level gives less exp so if I want to use my favourite weapons it's going to take even longer. I'm not sure if this is really worth my time anymore.

Are you saying that not all of the islands were unlocked for you? What does it require to unlock them on the Slayer's Path? I'm guessing that you hadn't unlocked Heroic+ hunts before the patch?

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah I'd just unlocked Heroic hunts and upgraded a couple of weapons to +10. So my Axe/Repeaters are now level 20 but the highest hunts I can get to are level 15.

Unlocking the milestones requires gaining a total amount of weapon exp, but it doesn't really work well if you're partway through like me. Let's say you need 100 exp for I and 500 for II. The 100 exp you get to unlock I will also contribute towards II so you only need another 400 to reach II. So even though it put me straight to milestone VIII, since I'm starting from 0 exp it's going to take me just as much work to get from VIII to IX as it would to get a new player from I to IX. Except I won't be unlocking anything new that entire time.

It's so weird part of me wonders if it's a bug.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rage McDougal posted:

Yeah I'd just unlocked Heroic hunts and upgraded a couple of weapons to +10. So my Axe/Repeaters are now level 20 but the highest hunts I can get to are level 15.

Unlocking the milestones requires gaining a total amount of weapon exp, but it doesn't really work well if you're partway through like me. Let's say you need 100 exp for I and 500 for II. The 100 exp you get to unlock I will also contribute towards II so you only need another 400 to reach II. So even though it put me straight to milestone VIII, since I'm starting from 0 exp it's going to take me just as much work to get from VIII to IX as it would to get a new player from I to IX. Except I won't be unlocking anything new that entire time.

It's so weird part of me wonders if it's a bug.

That does sound unintentional. Unfortunately, reddit hasn't brought up this problem. The community issues Trello doesn't have mention of it. The admins on the official Discord hadn't seen it mentioned either.

You'll probably have to post feedback on the reddit thread and contact support. Having to grind milestones 1-9 can't be right. I guess congrats, you've expertly managed to find a hole to fall into during the migration.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been playing on a lot of the new islands and they are pretty cool. Most of the island events are just a wave of fights with certain modifiers like you would find in Escalation or Trials. Some of them are kinda boring. Razorcliff Isle's (16-19) "Swarmageddon" doesn't even work right. But man, Hades Reach's (15-18) "Melting Point" was just pure terror. Fighting Heroic tier Hellions while Gruk-Gruk's keep spawning was absolute hell. I've always completely ignored them, but this patch made them perfect little murder-bugs. You hear them rolling and you pray that you aren't their target.

I think the only event that will cause more pubbie death will be Twilight Sanctuary's (17-20) "Sudden Death" fight which makes Behemoth attacks OHK. I haven't gotten that one yet but I really hope I do. Well, Twilight Sanctuary also has "Shockwaves" which is just a whole bunch of Stormclaws so I can't discount that one yet. Two Stormclaws at once is probably a little too much for the pubs to handle.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Did they change where you craft grenades with the latest update or do I need to cool it with the smoking lamp?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lib and let die posted:

Did they change where you craft grenades with the latest update or do I need to cool it with the smoking lamp?

It's still the guy who makes Repeater parts. This might be your problem, though:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

It's still the guy who makes Repeater parts. This might be your problem, though:

Ah yup, that's it. I swear I checked the tree up and down for it! Thanks!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

God drat is it supposed to feel like it takes forever to grind any appreciable amount of Rams for node unlocking? I'm drowning in a sea of marks but am bone dry on rams.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lib and let die posted:

God drat is it supposed to feel like it takes forever to grind any appreciable amount of Rams for node unlocking? I'm drowning in a sea of marks but am bone dry on rams.

In a Q&A the devs did the lack of rams was brought up and they said they are going to be fixing it in probably the next patch. The main problem is that you aren't getting money for killing behemoths anymore. The best thing you can do now is do the island events and open up the cores you get.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I started playing this again after like, a year away and it's pretty fun! The reforged update seems cool, some of the later tier monsters are actually pretty challenging, and if you do the island events you have a steady enough supply of cores that with the middleman to upgrade the cells you get from them there's a lot of potential for build diversity. There's a lot of different ways to play, from casual island hunting in the hunting grounds to super intense leaderboard chasing in trials. If you're burned out on Monster Hunter like me there's a lot of fun to be had in this game!

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Is it me, or does armor resistance just not matter? I managed to powersurge my Hellplate armor but I still get absolutely wrecked by Torgadoro.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

NovaLion posted:

Is it me, or does armor resistance just not matter? I managed to powersurge my Hellplate armor but I still get absolutely wrecked by Torgadoro.

Armor matters quite a bit. However, with escalations, the power boosts have a huge impact on how sturdy you are. You will get wrecked very easily, even when wearing a full set of on-element gear, when you have no power boosts at all. But, once you get the 3rd power boost, you become super tanky and basically stop worrying too much about being hit by the boss.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Is anyone still playing this?

My regular co-op group took a break from Sea of Thieves, and Back 4 Blood is fun, but I don't see it having a long lifespan for us. We looked for other good co-op games, and someone suggested Dauntless, so we logged in for an evening and had fun killing our first few behemoths together.

Finding informational resources on the game that aren't ridiculously out of date has been kind of tough. It looks like the devs have completely overhauled every major system at least once over the past couple of years, so most of the info out there is no longer applicable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I don’t think the game has a very big player base. They do seem to have put a poo poo load of effort into the game but eh I dunno I just keep bouncing off it for some reason.

Like it’s not a bad game but I’m just not sure what doesn’t hook me.

I think I’m gonna give it another shot though because I keep getting emails from them and they have done a drat lot since launch.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I guess the appeal for me is that I've always wanted to play a Monster Hunter game but don't like some of the core design decisions in Monster Hunter. Too many systems, fights that go too long, and the weird choice of not showing enemy health bars (I get that some people love this, but if I'm 20 minutes into a fight, I want to know how much progress I've made).

I have a regular group and tend not to play co-op games with pubs, so a low player base is fine, except that this also equates to less general knowledge being out there. It's hard to find newbie-oriented stuff on Reddit or Discord, which seem to be where most of the discussion about this game happens.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I still play it regularly. If you have any questions, I should be able to answer them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why does the game seem like there’s vaseline smeared on the screen? I’ve played it on two different PCs and it looks exactly the same.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't have that problem at all. Try disabling motion blur and set anti-aliasing to medium quality.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been getting back into the game for the first time in a few years and it's a lot of fun! I figured I might drop some cash in the store to support the game, but is there anything must-get in there?

As far as I can tell, the only weapon with any kind of in-game effect is the pair of legendary pistols (which I can also get by doing a few weeks of trials) and everything else is cosmetic, right?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Don't the extra cell fusing slots cost real money too? You get one for free, and can buy two others.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Almost everything in the store is just cosmetic, yes. You CAN buy potions and whatnot, but you honestly can make so many of them just by playing the game that there is no need. You can also buy some extra character loadout slots and 2 extra cell fusion slots. I personally only bothered with buying my 2nd cell fusion slot, but that's because I've played forever and own stacks and stacks of cells.

If you want to spend money, just buy the packs that give you a fancy skin and some currency. They've got enough now that you don't really need to be buying straight currency.

Also, make sure you buy the hunt pass at least once. It costs like $9.50 in currency, but if you complete the pass you get all that currency back, so if you play a lot that $9.50 can last years.

EDIT: The "Slayer's Pass" or whatever that gives double coins and +20% XP is also a good purchase if you want to power level your stuff. That double seasonal coins perk applies to every time you earn coins; not just the daily and weekly rewards, but even your hunt pass rewards. Once you go over level 50 on your hunt pass, you'll be earning 50 coins per level. This means you can buy tons of combat/exploration tokens and aether shards.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 21, 2021

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Been playing this and enjoying the crap out of it for the last week or so. Is anybody else playing this?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Arsonide posted:

Been playing this and enjoying the crap out of it for the last week or so. Is anybody else playing this?

Probably just me.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Checked back into this a couple of days ago and having a bit of fun. Not sure on how exactly gear works, since I seem to have two sets of neutral gear, but also can't find any higher neutral gear? And I don't seem to have much difference between weapons if I use the same tier?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Gear and weapons have a power rating on them. The neutral stuff is all pretty low level. The more powerful Behemoths that you see for the first time in later islands have items with higher base stats.

Your Gnasher, Quillshot, Embermane, Boreus, Drask, and Skarn weapons have a base power of 20. Next comes Shrike, Charrogg, Pangar, Nayzaga, and Kharabak at power 40. Then Frostwülf, Skraev, Sahvyte, Koshai, Valomyr, and Stalker at 60. Then finally Hellion, Phaelanx, Stormclaw, Thunderdeep Drask, Alyra, Rezakiri, and Shrowd at 80.

Legendary weapons have a power of 100.

And finally, Power Surging ANY weapon brings it up to 120 power. So all those 20 power weapons permanently upgrades to 120.

The same is with armor. Tiered by Behemoth difficulty, then power surged to equal power at beyond max level.

Power surging is the hook for prestiging. You trade in 100 Aethersparks for an item that lets you power surge one piece of gear to max level. Eventually, if you do this enough, all items in the game will have the same power stat.

And about power, each island has a base power attached to it. For every point above that power, you do extra damage and take less damage. For every point below it, you do less damage and take extra. There is, of course, diminishing returns on that, but as you level up and power surge gear, you start to be more powerful when at the same level as all that extra power is basically free character levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nalin posted:

Gear and weapons have a power rating on them. The neutral stuff is all pretty low level. The more powerful Behemoths that you see for the first time in later islands have items with higher base stats.

Your Gnasher, Quillshot, Embermane, Boreus, Drask, and Skarn weapons have a base power of 20. Next comes Shrike, Charrogg, Pangar, Nayzaga, and Kharabak at power 40. Then Frostwülf, Skraev, Sahvyte, Koshai, Valomyr, and Stalker at 60. Then finally Hellion, Phaelanx, Stormclaw, Thunderdeep Drask, Alyra, Rezakiri, and Shrowd at 80.

Legendary weapons have a power of 100.

And finally, Power Surging ANY weapon brings it up to 120 power. So all those 20 power weapons permanently upgrades to 120.

The same is with armor. Tiered by Behemoth difficulty, then power surged to equal power at beyond max level.

Power surging is the hook for prestiging. You trade in 100 Aethersparks for an item that lets you power surge one piece of gear to max level. Eventually, if you do this enough, all items in the game will have the same power stat.

And about power, each island has a base power attached to it. For every point above that power, you do extra damage and take less damage. For every point below it, you do less damage and take extra. There is, of course, diminishing returns on that, but as you level up and power surge gear, you start to be more powerful when at the same level as all that extra power is basically free character levels.

Ah so it's the power surge that equalizes them. I somehow can power surge a few pieces of gear, but that's what I was missing. I remember when I was first playing, I got a neutral set first so that I wouldn't be useless against some of the Behemoths, so now I guess I could power surge those to start with a baseline.

Maybe today I'll check out Trials or Escalations, since so far I've only just done a few Island Hunts for the dailies