Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
OP is kinda old and I don't play currently, see second post for updated details about the game

Dauntless is a beast-slaying co-op game by Phoenix Labs and officially launched on May 21st (and staggering queues to join the game until they got enough server capacity), and is currently on PS4, XBone, and PC. The three clients are fully crossplay compatible, and if you have/make an Epic Games account, you can link your character data such that you can play the same character across all the consoles.

Note: You can only enable this character cross-progression account feature at the time you create your character.

In Dauntless, you are a Slayer, helping defeat wild Behemoths that rampage across the Shattered Isles and threaten the safety of civilization, primarily Ramsgate, your hub town.

Like other games of the genre, you enter Hunts with up to 3 other players to track down and defeat a Behemoth, and optionally collect herbs and ore along the way, as well as any additional components you break/cut off the beast itself.

Meet the Gnasher, babby's first Behemoth. Chip its teeth, crack its shins, sever its tail

Back in town, you can mix herbs into helpful potions, and forge the monster parts into various weapons/armor to increase your power/durability in future hunts. Do quests to unlock more and stronger Behemoths and new items, and so on.

Gear Advancement:

Wear that Angry Beaver you murdered proudly

Every piece of crafted gear starts at the same attack/defense (100 atk for weapons, 25 def per armor piece). The primary difference between pieces is fashion, Mastery-gain from crafting/using (more on that below), the base Perk on the gear (more on that below), and the type of Cell slot(s) the gear has. Elemental armor adds extra protection from its same element and weakness to its opposing element (Fire-Ice, Lightning-Earth, and later, Light-Dark). Elemental weapons do bonus damage to the opposing elemental Behemoths and reduced against same-element. Some Behemoth's weaponry also has inherent bonuses (weapons made from the owl-like Shrike give bonus damage on the next attack after a dodge, weapons made from the rock-scaled Skarn give small shield-buffs on dealing damage)

Weapons and Armor are upgraded by spending various upgrade materials (Primarily elemental Orbs gained from hunts, later additional Behemoth pieces are also required as well as Arcstones for higher levels) There is no inherent set bonus to wearing a full armor set from the same Behemoth (but that is a path to more Mastery), so eventually a Slayer will mix-and-match to fit their desires. There are transmogrification consumables to give gear the appearance of other gear, but they primarily cost premium currency.

Weapons can be further modified by adding in or changing Mods (an extra buff to that weapon) and alternate Special Attacks (gained by ranking up that weapontype's Mastery)

Also: You can set your helm to be invisible for Peak Fashion, and armor is dyable (several free colors will be unlocked from quests, and many more are buyable with $)

Perks and Cells:

Additional weapon/armor power is customized through your Perks, various traits that are stacked through your gear and the Cells you put into them. The sword here has one level of the Conditioning perk (stamina regen) and two cell slots - both for Mobility-type cells. Cells give 1-3 levels of one Perk, and are acquired (via gacha-like Hunter Cores) through leveling up your Mastery and doing quests. Cells are freely re/movable so remember to gear up when you change armor. Perk levels stack from +1 to +6, and many perks have a secondary benefit at +4 and higher (the Nine Lives defensive perk has a chance to negate damage, and at +4 and higher, gives you one free auto-revive the first time you're downed). You can technically buy/merge/upgrade cells via an NPC called The Middleman but it's primarily a premium currency sink.

Mastery - Player Progression:
The official website explains it nicely with pictures. tl;dr: Mastery is a variety of exp gained from crafting/using different weapons/armor and hunting different behemoths. Slayer Mastery, the overall-exp, is gained from Behemoth and Weapon sub-categories, and each sub-category has its own progression, rewards, and sub-sub categories (individual weapons and behemoths). Nice and tidy with lists, progress bars, and checkboxes.

Weapons:
There are six categories of weapons in Dauntless, each with their own playstyle and use. The Mastery system encourages general use of each kind, so try them out. Each weapon has a mixture of light and heavy attacks, and a Special Attack that can be charged up and used under certain circumstances.

Swords: Basic combos, good attack speed, slashing damage (good at severing tails/horns and aggravating Wounds). Special attack (once the meter is charged from repeated attacks/combos) speeds your attacks and empowers your sword to shoot energy waves as you swing, for bonus damage and range.

Axes: Big, Slow, and Choppy. Axes also deal slashing damage, but their primary gimmick is being able to Charge many of their attacks for Big Damage (protip: You can move while charging your initial Heavy Attack, but it drains stamina). Light attacks are primarily vertical, and heavy are mostly horizontal. The Axe Special chucks your axe as a spinning penetrating boomerang, and reactivating while the axe is out instantly recalls it to your hand in a massive leaping slam that has knockback-invulnerability. Landing charge attacks and the Special builds up a meter that, when full and you land the Special slam, grants stacking damage buffs.

Hammers: Big, Slow, and Blasty. Do -not- deal slashing damage, but still good at breaking plates/scales/armor. Hammers specialize in dealing Stagger damage (best done by hits to the head, and to a lesser extent the legs) to stun and/or knock-over a Behemoth to let people get in Big Damage. Hammers have a built-in cannon whose usage replaces their heavy attack. You can stand still to shoot a blast (charge to use more ammo for a bigger boom), tap the button during the wind-up of a light attack to spend an ammo charge and augment that swing, do rocket-assisted jumps and dodges, or end a 3-hit light combo with a giant exploding overhead that uses all loaded ammo (and if it connects, auto-reloads with Enhanced Ammo). The special attack button for Hammers just reloads your ammo chamber. Tap it again when the bar is in the center to speed your reload.

Chain Blades: Lots of fast weaker attacks. Slashing damage. Heavy attack swings out wider to hit an area. Special move is mobility-based, using it from a distance will hookshot your way to the Behemoth, using it up close will spring-jump away from the Behemoth and deal some damage.

War Pikes: A support weapon dealing two kinds of damage. Light attacks are thrusts that deal Piercing/Wounding damage, which, after enough is built up, causes all attacks on the Wounded part to deal increased damage. Heavy attacks are Slashing spins of the spear and quickly build up your Special meter. The spear's Special converts built-up meter into ammunition which can be shot back out later (hold down the special button to increase accuracy to a point)

Repeaters: Put Ya Guns On. These unlock slightly later than the base 5 weapon types and are modular, consisting of four interchangable (and individually upgraded) components: The Barrel (determines element), the Grip (determines your Thrown Special ability), the Chamber (determines your Shot Special ability), and the Prism (a passive buff). Guns operate slightly differently from normal weapons: They have a 12 shot magazine, damage falloff, you cannot run while they're out (the run button is your shoot button), your special button is your reload button (If you reload while close to the Behemoth, your shots and specials are powered up for a short time. Always be close), and your light/heavy attack buttons are your Thrown/Shot Specials (both on a timed cooldown instead of a meter buildup). Jack-of-all-trades but fiddlier than other weaponry.

General Starting Advice:
You have 5 healing potions that restock at the start of each Hunt, and 3 self-revives.
When Behemoths run away halfway through a fight, make sure to use the Healing Rift to top up before you chase it down - but the rift isn't unlimited. A second Rift will be at the second stage of the fight.
RT/R2 to run. If your weapon is sheathed (R3), it doesn't take stamina. The blue wisps give you a temporary speed boost and slight Lantern (support item) recharge.
Take the time to pluck herbs during hunts, and brew potions in town. One of the first ones you can make gives you massive damage reduction for the next 3 hits.
After your first few hunts, when you unlock the Patrol hunts (Hunting a random Behemoth of the chosen element for increased rewards), you're going to want to start upgrading your armor. The new/stronger Behemoths pack a bit more punch and repeated downings against a Behemoth increases its difficulty.
When in doubt, level up Neutral stuff since it doesn't have any weaknesses.

Other Things:
Savable loadouts are coming Soon(tm)
There's no Push to Talk button for voice chat.
Inventory checking/management is a bit pants.
Disconnects mid-Hunt are a known issue that they're working on.
Switch port coming Eventually.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

12/4/20: Big Update Apparently?

Nalin posted:

Hello Dauntless thread. The game just had a huge update today. The devs have completely changed the way progression works again, and have also made changes to the way you hunt.

The power scale has changed a lot now. Gear score now plays a more important role in attack and defense. There are no more diminishing returns to being way above or way below a Behemoth's target score and each point of difference has a bigger effect on attack/defense. Elemental bonuses have also been doubled. There is a lot more incentive to actually care about which gear you bring with you rather than what gives the best perk slot combinations.

Weapons no longer upgrade to +15. Weapons are now tiered and have an increasing amount of base power as you go up in tier. It isn't that much, though, as a higher tier weapon will have, like, 20 power, versus a lower tiered one with 10. Most of your power comes from your weapon class level. As you fight with a weapon class, it levels up. Each time it levels up you get somewhere around +20 attack/defense score. However, the lower tiered equipment have +1 perks while higher tiered have +2 perks.

Once you reach level 20 on a weapon class, you can spend a type of in-game currency and prestige yourself back down to level 1. Each time you do this you unlock a new permanent passive buff (although there is a limit per weapon class on how many buffs you can unlock before prestige gives you nothing).

When you prestige, you get an item that lets you power up a weapon or piece of gear. It maxes the gear score of the item and makes the gear's perk +3. All powered up weapons and gear have the same stats. Basically, the bad tier 1 gear with +1 gear perks and low power becomes just as good as top tier gear.

Patrol and pursuit have been removed from the game. They made most of the islands bigger and added a bunch of new islands to the game. You basically have a list of all the islands and what behemoths are found on them and how strong they are. It is 6 players per island and you free roam around fighting Behemoths that spawn. There are about 3-4 Behemoths that spawn on the island so you can end up fighting it yourself, or with a whole team of 6. There are also special zone events that pop up that give a lot of rewards if you complete it. Each island has 3 different zone events and you can see what they are when looking through the list of islands.

There is also a new "Slayer Track" thingy where you spend different types of currencies to unlock potions, islands, buffs, etc.

So yeah. There you go. Honestly, I think I prefer this new system compared to what it used to be. Lots of people were angry, though, as private hunts are pretty much gone. But I don't care that much because I never did private hunts.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 5, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Game fun but if you're a veteran monster hunter player you will absolutely dump on like every single monster. Good for people new to the genre or for people desperately trying to get some new monsters to hunt in the lead-up to the MH:W expansion.

That being said this game's hammer rules

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Veteran from GU on switch transplanted here. I like this and can't wait for it to come to the switch too. I don't know about dumping on every monster though... unless you just played the beginning.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My hunt squad hasn't had a real issue outside of some surprises (Kharabak's rage mode lol), but I can see playing with pubbies being a problem on some of the fights where there's a lot going on, like Rezakiri. I just don't think anything ever gets as difficult as, say, Kushala Doara or Diablos

Just my opinion though, there's still a solid game here and a lot of fun to be had. Kind of wish getting transmog things was easier but I'm happy with the dye system. Smashing cores together suuuuucks though. 24 hours for just two

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 1, 2019

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Smashing cores def sucks. I mostly just roll with it and keep one in there. When you combine 2 level 2 cores in there it takes 48 hours I've found out now lol.

also this

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Played this a little when it was in the beta picked back up I'm really enjoying this the hammer is rad as hell.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Firstscion posted:

Played this a little when it was in the beta picked back up I'm really enjoying this the hammer is rad as hell.

The hammer-charge mechanic is rad as hell. Someone I was playing with online told me that if I'm doing a full combo, don't charge the three hits and save all the ammo for the superslam, but if I'm only gonna get a hit or two in, go ahead and charge-em. Served me well so far.

I first picked up a hammer for the first time when I fought the Skarn (rock-scale lizard) and holyyyy poo poo just blowing its scales off and repeatedly stunning it with big headshots felt so good.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I'm loving this game, but on the regular PS4 the framerate (especially in town) is straight rear end. Hopefully there's a performance pass in the near future

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Heres a neat trick to the hammer, the gun is mostly used to interrupt behemoths, and every single one has one move they do that if you blast them in the middle of it it will knock them on their rear end. Its usually a big high commitment move.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Archenteron posted:

The hammer-charge mechanic is rad as hell. Someone I was playing with online told me that if I'm doing a full combo, don't charge the three hits and save all the ammo for the superslam, but if I'm only gonna get a hit or two in, go ahead and charge-em. Served me well so far.

I first picked up a hammer for the first time when I fought the Skarn (rock-scale lizard) and holyyyy poo poo just blowing its scales off and repeatedly stunning it with big headshots felt so good.

You can also quick reload 1 shell after charged/normal hammer strikes. So the absolute optimal combo is

Attack, Charge, Quick Reload, Attack, Charge, Quick Reload, Attack, Charge, Quick Reload, Full Burst

but pulling it off in combat is pretty hard. It's definitely the most technical weapon in there right now.

Zoig posted:

Heres a neat trick to the hammer, the gun is mostly used to interrupt behemoths, and every single one has one move they do that if you blast them in the middle of it it will knock them on their rear end. Its usually a big high commitment move.

You can tell when they're unstable by a bunch of angry lines around their head.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I just met the Riftstalker :catstare:

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Archenteron posted:

I just met the Riftstalker :catstare:

I haven't beaten it yet, that thing is quite a tough customer.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I really like batdog but man, pubs never seem to get out of the way fighting him.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zoig posted:

I really like batdog but man, pubs never seem to get out of the way fighting him.

This game has a pretty gentle learning curve, to the point that the beginner monsters are basically punching bags to any monster hunter vet, but the Riftstalker is gonna be a wall to a lot of people.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Good:

- It's MH stripped down to its core loop, way more than MHW ever could be. If you liked MHW but couldn't get into dealing with a hundred systems at once, this is for you.
- It's jank as gently caress but at least it's way more complete than anthem lol.
- The weapons are all viable, fun and different from both each other and the weapons in MH
- Completely seamless cross-device play, the first time I've ever seen it work this well

Bad:

- This is not a release quality game. The servers are barely keeping up, rubberbanding in town is constant, you can get stuck on splash screens requiring a restart, framerates are iffy even with a good PC and honestly just wait for a patch if you're on an OG console. Consider it a public beta, but hey it's free!
- Missing or broken basic QoL stuff like "assign the game to a monitor that isn't your primary" or "remember my loving mouse settings between sessions" or "i literally can't back out of a mission without alt-f4"
- There's not much story or worldbuilding if you're looking for that sort of thing
- F2P rot is starting to set in a little, I'm already seeing bot sellers pop up in town.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Bad:
"i literally can't back out of a mission without alt-f4"

This is not an exaggeration, by the way. On PC the only option we have once a mission is started is "Quit to Desktop". This was really bad in the first week, as the options to cancel a quest after you selected it but before you departed straight up didn't work and put you in an infinite matchmaking session, and when you did quit and logged back in, you got to sit in the queue again.

It's one of the reasons I'm not playing right now lol

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm a bad and only like the MHW bow. Is the repeater good?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yes, although the damage dropoff is serious and your buffs come from reloading near the monster, so it's a very different playstyle. The combat is honestly heck of fun no matter what you use, it's like if dark souls 3 were balanced like a party brawler.

Also, looks like their hosting provider went tits up so the whole game is down-ish at the moment.

edit: it's back

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 2, 2019

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I’m having a lot of fun scratching the monster hunter itch until Icebound. Playing on Xbox now and after played on PC during Beta, this is much more polished than it used to be.

Is there a goon guild up? Do we know if guilds can be cross-platform?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I like the War Pike but I have no idea how the wound/part/raw damage stuff works in this game. The stabby move does white damage and the spinny move doesn't? But sometimes the spinny move does do white damage? Is there a guide that explains this somewhere?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Gnumonic posted:

I like the War Pike but I have no idea how the wound/part/raw damage stuff works in this game. The stabby move does white damage and the spinny move doesn't? But sometimes the spinny move does do white damage? Is there a guide that explains this somewhere?

Colors represent different things

Yellow = Damageable Part (This will drop materials once it reaches a threshold at which point further attacks will do white, unless its a part that can be broken twice)
White = Raw Damage (This kills the crab)
Blue = Stagger (Built up on the head and legs, will KO the monster, swirls around the monsters head means it's about to drop)
Red = Wound (Builds up status until a "wound" is placed on a part causing extra damage for everyone in the party, looks like a big glowing wound that leaks aether)

Only raw and part actually contribute to killing the monster.

For the warpike the light attacks cause wound damage while the heavy builds up meter faster and has nice sweeping attacks but takes stamina. Try to concentrate on one part at a time to create a wound as quickly as possible. Your meter gives you an attack bonus but goes down when you take a hit. You can also bank the meter into a shot that you release by holding down special. Very useful for long range boops.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby
Loving this game so far. The hammer rocks, Thanks for explaining the pike/wound mechanic because i could not figure out that quest. I'm on pc as Mexicola456 if anyone wants to add.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
This game is pretty fun. There not being a way to exit from Hunts once you're committed or maybe do some mid-hunt instance filling is the biggest thing right now. I tried to queue into a hunt and the game only matched me and one other person. The other person dropped from the hunt so I just had to restart the game.

I've tried all the weapons except repeaters now. I like the Pike and Axe best. Axe seems like it has a huge skill ceiling.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Game's actually surprisingly good. It's obviously a fair bit shallower than Monster Hunter, but with the major upside that it's that much quicker and easier to just hop in and go punch a monster or three with some friends on a moment's notice. I ended up dropping off of MHW because it felt like I was spending more time doing preparatory busywork than actually hunting the monsters, and it's the exact opposite here.

But yeah, there is some serious jank going on at the moment. Especially aggravating is that every now and then the game will just straight-up not register attack inputs. How did that ever go through QA? :psyduck:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I’m having a lot of fun with this game so far. If they’re able to work up to an update frequency similar to Fortnite, it could have some serious staying power.

Also, as someone who hasn’t played a MH-style game before, the intermediate and higher-tier monsters pose an enjoyable challenge. I just wish I could make my solo queue work as some of the upper-end behemoths become a slog if your party isn’t very good.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Does monster health scale based on how many slayers are there? How about stun thresholds? Limb break points?

I'm finding the hammer alot of fun. But I'm finding the further I get into the game the less obvious the boops are.

Been playing since yesterday and I just fought the first radiant dude and my slayer rank is 20,

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

LeninVS posted:

Does monster health scale based on how many slayers are there? How about stun thresholds? Limb break points?

Health is almost certainly scaled by the number of players. And annoyingly, if someone drops out mid-fight, the scaling stays the same.

I don't know this from hard numbers, I just know it takes roughly the same amount of time to kill a monster with 2 competent people as it does with 4. And in a game where I was in a duo and the other person left, it took for-loving-ever to slay a Skarn.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I've started mix-and-matching my elemental armor sets based on look, their inherent perks, and, most importantly to me because I am A Bad: Having 2 Shield Core Slots between my armor and weapon. Two shield core slots means I can slot two Nine Lives cells (so anywhere from +2 to +6 of the perk depending on cell rank). Nine Lives is ok as-is, giving a percentage chance to halve incoming damage, but at +4 and higher, the first time you would die, you don't, and get healed to 400+ health.

I haven't properly tested/checked, but I think that it doesn't count as a downing for end-of-hunt reward bonuses, and I like having that extra safety cushion, especially as I'm getting bopped by the later dire behemoths

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
E: I'm early on, so please if I'm wrong correct any of my assumptions:

I've found it interesting how I've found the weapons not to always match up with my expectations of their MH analogues.

The Hammer in Dauntless is actually a Gunlance. The Axe looks like a pure Greatsword, but it's actually the MH Hammer, too. I expected the War Pike to be extremely Glaive, but with the way boops work (as I understand it very early on) it's more like using your R2 as a version of counter Lance.

Repeaters are pure GenU evade lancing with hunter arts. Stand close, poke a ton, stay on top of your cooldowns.

Chain blades are duals, but also they have a meter for some reason. The meter lets you chain more blades, I guess?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Huxley posted:

Chain blades are duals, but also they have a meter for some reason. The meter lets you chain more blades, I guess?

Chain blades have a limited amount of charges you can spend to either jump in close to the behemoth if you're far away or jump away (dealing a little damage) if you're up close. When you damage the behemoth you fill up a meter, and when the meter is completely full it gives you back a charge and drops back to empty.

If I get time I might make full write-ups for all the weapons. I don't think any of them have as much mechanical depth as anything in MHW, but they still have some things that might be easy for people to miss.

Moose King fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 3, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Moose King posted:

Chain blades have a limited amount of charges you can spend to either jump in close to the behemoth if you're far away or jump away (dealing a little damage) if you're up close. When you damage the behemoth you fill up a meter, and when the meter is completely full it gives you back a charge and drops back to empty.

AH! That's why sometimes that button didn't work. I assumed it was a stamina dump not the meter.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Moose King posted:

If I get time I might make full write-ups for all the weapons. I don't think any of them have as much mechanical depth as anything in MHW, but they still have some things that might be easy for people to miss.

I'd appreciate that and would throw them into the second post. I never played MonHun so I don't have the extra context for some weapon playstyles.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I can provide a little bit of info on playing sword, since its my usual weapon when I just want something I can play well in general.

Stamina is pretty important, because they have a combo that can go on for as long as you want which is important to filling the meter to overcharge your sword. While you do extra damage in this mode you can also do the same combo to do a lot of concentrated damage, and that plus the fact that there's a augment that lets attacks out of a dodge always crit. stamina tonics are fantastic on it, and attack speed is also really nice. They mostly play middle of the road, about as average as you would expect otherwise, but there is a neat thing in that a q dash counts as a dodge so that always crits with the aug.

Ardent cyclone seems kinda bad on the other hand, it would need to have much higher base damage to feel good and if i wanted to see a bunch of smaller numbers there are better weapons for that. that being said, adhesive hilt plus ardent cyclone is probably the right choice because that means you cant be knocked out of its rather high damage finisher. I just don't think its worth it because you get basic attacks but stronger with overdrive and a very good dash.

As for what reason to pick it up, it's very well rounded and feels good, but unless you really like how using a sword feels I can't recommend using it over any other weapon that's more specialized.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wow this game made huge strides in just about everything in the last few months before launch. I'd basically given up on it despite loving the premise (my least favorite part of MH is all the not hunting parts) because it was just so shoddy in almost every respect - controls, performance, design, quality [art, sound, voice] - and it seems like they turned every single thing around.

I think for what it is, Hunt Monsters gently caress Gathering, it's probably gonna stick around and be pretty okay on its own because let's face it MH:W despite its strides is still 95% inscrutable. Doesn't hurt that the monster designs are clearly made by people who love good MH monsters.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm having so, so much fun already.

I've tried MonHun a ton of times and always bounce off due to the huge amount of systems at play.

So far I've tried all the weapons, understand what they do and am effective. I'll be spending some time and money on this game for sure.

Are the premium cosmetic items infinite use? I got the ninja outfit from the track and am scared to use it at an early level.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Game’s pretty fun. Surprised that I’m enjoying the basic sword. Probably because it’s that much more mobile than MH counterparts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The hammer finally clicked with me and being able to poo poo down monsters routinely is soooooo satisfying.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Koshai lantern is my new favorite. The vampire on the tap is actually really strong and help take the edge off the occasional hit. The hold dash is super useful in general and has good synergy with the conduit skill that gives team attack speed on lantern hold use. Booping a charge, instantly dashing to the prone monster and then having the buff activate for a beatdown party feels really solid. The damage it causes is just a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Neat thing is the dash also instantly resets you to standing, so if you get knocked on your butt it can prevent the knockdown animation.