Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Perestroika posted:

But in my heart I'd still know it doesn't match. :arghfist::spergin:

Also I don't wanna spend money on transmog orbs :v:

Fwiw transmog orbs are only required when making one item look like a different crafted item. Skins acquired from the hunt pass/shop can be applied and removed freely. I still think they’d be smart to remove the transmog stone requirement (or make them much easier to get) in the future, though, as that’s one of the biggest draws of a lot of f2p games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Fwiw transmog orbs are only required when making one item look like a different crafted item. Skins acquired from the hunt pass/shop can be applied and removed freely. I still think they’d be smart to remove the transmog stone requirement (or make them much easier to get) in the future, though, as that’s one of the biggest draws of a lot of f2p games.

Make transmog stones unlock a given look as a cosmetic. So if you like the Nayzaga coat you spend a stone and then a version of it moves up to the Cosmetics section alongside your other reusable skins.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Perestroika posted:

Personally my biggest annoyance with the armor system is that there are no set bonuses. That means really the smartest thing to do is to mix and match individual pieces for the best perks and socket types. But that would also mean running around like an uncoordinated hobo, and that just will not do. :colbert:

I mean crafting/upgrading/killing its origin monster with the whole armor set is more Mastery EXP so there kinda is but :shrug:

Dauntless for Switch coming eventually, Frosthorn Skraev coming soonish, game roadmap updated with a few new future features: Next hunt pass will be sky pirate themed, basic how-to weapon demo videos, Trial Hunts (semi-randomized Challenge Mode hunts for rewards), Terra element will be getting a health-siphon debuff proc for player weapons, cosmetic head/back slots, and the already-mentioned Savable Gear Loadouts

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Archenteron posted:

I mean crafting/upgrading/killing its origin monster with the whole armor set is more Mastery EXP so there kinda is but :shrug:

Dauntless for Switch coming eventually, Frosthorn Skraev coming soonish, game roadmap updated with a few new future features: Next hunt pass will be sky pirate themed, basic how-to weapon demo videos, Trial Hunts (semi-randomized Challenge Mode hunts for rewards), Terra element will be getting a health-siphon debuff proc for player weapons, cosmetic head/back slots, and the already-mentioned Savable Gear Loadouts

It’ll be interesting to see if the rewards from that trial mode are any good. Could be a good place to sock away some cosmetics. Do they have a schedule attached to their roadmap at all?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really counting on us being able to cross-progress on Switch.
Or at least transfer progress once.
I hate gaming at my desk but the Switch... is perfect.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I'm really counting on us being able to cross-progress on Switch.
Or at least transfer progress once.
I hate gaming at my desk but the Switch... is perfect.

If it's like the other consoles, you should be able to link your EpicGames account and fully cross-progress

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nice.

I made a guild so gimme your names if you haven't already.

Just discovered that daily patrol chests roll over. I had six waiting. I figured I'd miss out.
Nice!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Nice.

Just discovered that daily patrol chests roll over. I had six waiting. I figured I'd miss out.
Nice!

ArchenteronSA

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
DroidWashington

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Telefishopolis

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'll get you two in an hour or so.

Nearly all permutations of Something Awful and Goon Squad were already taken.

So we are SOMETHINGAWFUL.

If someone comes up with a better name (not hard), we can pretty easily reform.

Edit: Bloodmane Embershithead can suck my rear end.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 15, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I really didn't like the one electric deer fight where you had to destroy his little thunder bolt cage summons while he would lunge at you from off-screen and now I'm starting to worry that this is going to be every monster from here on out

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nah, none of the monsters have a ton of moves. They are kinda easy to suss out.

The pylons shoot ball lightning that can be hit back for massive damage. Gunners and chain blades can sweep them and make the whole thing a non issue.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

Nah, none of the monsters have a ton of moves. They are kinda easy to suss out.

The pylons shoot ball lightning that can be hit back for massive damage. Gunners and chain blades can sweep them and make the whole thing a non issue.

No that's a different electrical boss with summons, I mean the one that makes a forcefield

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Inzombiac posted:

Nice.

Elpato1

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No that's a different electrical boss with summons, I mean the one that makes a forcefield

Break 1-2 pylons as/right after he sets them up and the remaining electric fence should be ignorable

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Inzombiac posted:

Nice.

Nice!

Electroacoustic

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, the electric fence one?

When it starts laying them down, go after the SECOND one it placed.
The monster will try to make its final leap back to the first pylon and you probably will get smashed.

So long as you remove two pylons, it's a total non-threat.

He sucks but overall is fine.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
7cNickel in game

Honestly the electric fence is kind of a waste, because they could have leaned in to it so much more. You would have to use a different skeleton, but a monster that posed on top of the pylons and then did flying elbow drops would have enhanced it so much.

RAGE IN THE CAGE BROTHER!

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Nice.

Nice!

Same name as I use here. I'm not very good at the game, but you guys aren't joking about that 300 wall. Most of these people don't even try to dodge and ratchet up the threat meter like crazy because they spend more time down than fighting. It's been tough but I've been able to get most of the mats and quests I've needed so far. I do enjoy going into easier zones and just demolishing the easier behemoths. Very satisfying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

papersack posted:

Same name as I use here. I'm not very good at the game, but you guys aren't joking about that 300 wall. Most of these people don't even try to dodge and ratchet up the threat meter like crazy because they spend more time down than fighting.

I'll admit I've been playing super not well because fights are so short that it makes more sense to just go all-in on aggression and use up all your self-revives than to play it slow. I expect I'll hit the same wall where eventually I'll need to actually worry about dodging attacks and playing it more like Monster Hunter, but all the fights up until now I've managed to kill by just slapping it to death with a hammer

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do the behemoths scale with the number of players?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

iddqd posted:

Do the behemoths scale with the number of players?

Yeah, they get 33% more health for every additional person in a group, up to 100%

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Sailor Dave posted:

Yeah, they get 33% more health for every additional person in a group, up to 100%

I heard 66% per player according to the semi-official Discord

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Somebody explain to me the gun-part of the Hammer please. Maybe it's just because I'm switching over from the axe, but the actual shots seem to deal rather pitiful damage, and at a rather short range to boot. And even the fully charged-up version is just pitiful damage times 4. It feels like just charging up your melee attacks is a way more effective way of using your ammo, particularly since you can keep yourself topped up in the process.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Perestroika posted:

Somebody explain to me the gun-part of the Hammer please. Maybe it's just because I'm switching over from the axe, but the actual shots seem to deal rather pitiful damage, and at a rather short range to boot. And even the fully charged-up version is just pitiful damage times 4. It feels like just charging up your melee attacks is a way more effective way of using your ammo, particularly since you can keep yourself topped up in the process.

use it when monsters are charging at people and it will make the behemoth stumble and fall

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

use it when monsters are charging at people and it will make the behemoth stumble and fall

Oh, that makes more sense, thanks! Somehow I had it in my head that booping had a minimum damage threshold, I didn't think that'd be enough. Gonna give that a try, then.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, the only real use for the gun direct attack is to stagger them on the right attacks, every other use of ammo is better any other time. I think there may be some sort of stun value or something, also charging it is more for delaying the attack and adding range than damage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Oh, that makes more sense, thanks! Somehow I had it in my head that booping had a minimum damage threshold, I didn't think that'd be enough. Gonna give that a try, then.

It's unconnected to damage. Attacks either boop or they don't, but the Weighted Strikes cell can change that.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Nice.

Nice!

Dazerbeams. Got into this recently and I’m having fun.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
The thing with using right-click blast to stagger monsters is that you can do the same thing by using the double right-click evasion moves, even if you have, say, the Mighty Landbreaker equipped instead. There's not really any point in using the blast.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having a blast with this game even though I never could get into Monster Hunter. Also, it's incredibly frustrating at times. Normally I can't deal with frustrations in games but in this one I just want to get better/more powerful to step up to the frustration.

I haven't really delved into the cells yet with the Middleman guy or whatever his name is. What exactly does that guy do and how does it work? It looks like you can merge cells? So does that allow you to merge different kinds of cells to have the properties of 2+ cells on a single cell? Or do you just merge 2 cells of the same kind to get a higher quality of that one?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You should probably start messing with him. Seems like he’s the most reliable way to get higher level cells.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

iddqd posted:

Having a blast with this game even though I never could get into Monster Hunter. Also, it's incredibly frustrating at times. Normally I can't deal with frustrations in games but in this one I just want to get better/more powerful to step up to the frustration.

I haven't really delved into the cells yet with the Middleman guy or whatever his name is. What exactly does that guy do and how does it work? It looks like you can merge cells? So does that allow you to merge different kinds of cells to have the properties of 2+ cells on a single cell? Or do you just merge 2 cells of the same kind to get a higher quality of that one?

I used this to figure out how cell fusing works: https://gamewith.net/dauntless/article/show/9321

Basically, you use the Middleman to fuse cells together (and sometimes buy new cells, he has a selection of cells at the top that changes every week.) Merging two cells of the same level will fuse them together into one cell a level higher. So two +1 Knockout Kings, for example, will merge into one +2 Knockout King. You can't fuse a +2 and a +1, unfortunately. They have to be the same level.

But if you fuse two different cells of a different category, like a +2 Knockout King and a +2 Tough, you'll get a single +3 random cell, no way to tell what type it'll be. It doesn't merge their properties or anything like that, it could turn into a +3 Overpower or +3 Iceborne or anything.

If you fuse two different cells of the same category, like Power, you get a random Power cell instead, so a bit more narrow. Still a level higher.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another question. I've been duoing with a buddy and we just did Skraev. He used guns to focus on beak and I used sword to focus on tailfeathers. Both dropped for him and neither dropped for me. Is it just random or how does that work?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

iddqd posted:

Another question. I've been duoing with a buddy and we just did Skraev. He used guns to focus on beak and I used sword to focus on tailfeathers. Both dropped for him and neither dropped for me. Is it just random or how does that work?

They drop as shiny little balls. You need to run over them to grab them. When the monster dies any balls that are near it get autocollected. They can be hard to see against snow sometimes.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

They drop as shiny little balls. You need to run over them to grab them. When the monster dies any balls that are near it get autocollected. They can be hard to see against snow sometimes.

OK. Well he is using guns and it auto-collected the things from range for him, and there were no balls for me to pick up right underneath the behemoth when the parts got knocked. I guess only 1 person can collect each piece?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

iddqd posted:

OK. Well he is using guns and it auto-collected the things from range for him, and there were no balls for me to pick up right underneath the behemoth when the parts got knocked. I guess only 1 person can collect each piece?

I believe when a part gets broken it just makes a per-player roll to determine what gets dropped. So if you break the tail your friend may get a ball, and you might not. Your ball might be a tail feather, and his might be whatever the bosses common drop is.

That being said, I wish the balls dropped for part breaks were WAY more obvious, maybe like a column of light instead of a glowy ball. Even if you are watching the boss and KNOW a part just broke, if he happened to be in tall grass it can be impossible to know if you just didn't get a drop, or if it is hidden in the grass somewhere.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Or inside the severed tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
drops are stored in the balls