Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fire Emblem randomizers have been a thing for a while now, but they have come a long way since the early days. The latest and possibly greatest is Yune, which handles FE4 as well as all three GBA games - although there is something to be said for the self-randomizing FE8 hack which not only randomizes characters, stats, and items, but throws 3DS-era styled skills into the mix as well.

I started a Yune-randomized run of Blazing Sword in the Romhackeria a little while ago, but since several people were interested in doing their own runs as well, we decided to gather them all in this thread.

Just like the original Romhackeria, this is a megathread where anyone can participate! Any format is fine, but please use the test poster for screenshot lp updates and link them rather than posting them directly in the thread. If you make an intro post in the thread, I will link to it below.

A warning before you proceed: This thread is likely to be full of spoilers for any game being played here, and probably won't make very much sense if you aren't familiar with the original titles. If you're interested in seeing the stories as they were intended, there are finished "proper" let's plays of most of them on the archive.

LP index

Ninian's Bizarre Randomizer (FE7) by vilkacis (Finished!)

FE8 self-randomizer by Minus Green (Finished!)

Fire Emblem 7 Randomised by silversatyr

The one without Roy (FE6) by Faillen Angel

FE4 by MarquiseMindfang

Thracia 776 by Miacis

FE8 Self Randomizer Thracia 776 mode by Saladin Rising

Fire Emblem: Path of Randomness (FE9) by Sorites (abandoned)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I've been feeling a little worn out recently. I think I need to play something nice and relaxing.

Ah, good old Blazing Sword. Surely we're all sufficiently familiar with this game by now that there can be no-

-surprises...?!

All right so what the heck?

This is Yune.

Yune is three ounces of whoop-rear end a randomizer for Fire Emblem. It claims to be universal, but right now it "only" supports FE4 and the GBA titles. Which is still a lot! It's also even more amusing than the other randomizers I've seen, because reasons.

Let's check it out.

Part one: Dragon Blood
01: Lynian, of the Lorca
02: Hector, you lout!
03: Kicking Glass
04: What Happened To Dorcas
05: The wrath of Rath
06: A frail Lycian priestess
07: Wyvern Lord, on tour now
08: Matthewood
09: Chef Beyard
10: Nice Ballista, Nerd
11: A Cunning Plan
12: A Giant Walks Among You

Part two: BadCon Tendency
13: Get A Load Of This Guy
14: Bards Of A Feather
15: Different Beginnings
16: A Peddler's Junk
17: The Use Of Staves
18: Hammertime
19: Ninian's Bizarre Re-recruitment
20: Luck poo poo Stack
21: Shiver Me Timbers
22: I Ship It
23: Stealth General
24: Kishu-nah
25: Highs And Lowens
26: Lucius Gets The Boot
27: Mean, Green Kill-Stealing Machines
28: An Actual Problem
29: Promotional Material
30: Dual Disappointments
31: Downright Seal-y
32: Headpats
33: Lady Lyndies
34: Training Montage
35: Character Assassination
36: gently caress You, Athos
37: I Await You On The Dread Isle
38: Limstellast Stand
39: Killshuna
40: Light

Ramos posted:

I can't believe Florina got so big.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 24, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Funny you should mention the self-randomizing hack...

...because that's what this playthrough is! Whereas Yune is an executable program that randomizes the game for you, this is a ROM that randomizes itself. The customization isn't as robust, but it still leads to some pretty fun stuff. This is my first serious attempt at LPing, so there may be some rough edges here and there. If there's anything I can change or do better, let me know!

Run 1: Eirika in: The Devil's Own Luck
01: Identity Crisis
02: The Right Honorable King Breguet
03: Dance Dance Ross-olution
04: The Bandits of Doggo
05: Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
06: Dancing Machine (Plus Some Words About Version 1.3)
07: One Man Army
08: Fog of Bore
09: The Fast and the Murray-ous
10: The Art(ur) of War
11: Celerity Now
12: Knightmare in Carcinoland
13: Pala-drat!
14: Ain't No Mountain High Enough
15: Another Goddamn Lance User
16: Stat Dumping: A Cautionary Tale
17: Tonight, Someone Dies
18: "Legendary" "Weapons"
19: In Which My Choice of Run Title Comes Back to Bite Me in the rear end
20: Ephraim Eat The Eggs
21: The Shortest Survival
22: Metal Gear Rising: Arturevengeance
23: It Ends

Run 2: Ephraim Didn't Eat the Eggs
24: Interlude: The B-Team
25: Getting Rich in Rigwald
26: I Have No Shame
27: Shape Up or Ship Out
28: Five Percent Discount
29: Stat Dumping: A Success(?) Story
30: Going Gold in Grado
31: Parade of Promotions
32: The One Where Ephraim Finds a Horse
33: In Like a Lyon / I'm Already Out of Egg Jokes
34: The Incredible Hulkyle
35: It Ends 2: End Harder

Fan Stuff

ephraim eat the eggs, by vilkacis

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 6, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, I'm glad you're doing that one, because the skill bullshit can get pretty funny!

The peak/water option is basically so you can get characters who start on normally unwalkable terrain to move - the bandits in Ross/Garcia's chapter can't get off the mountains if they're, say, mercenaries, for instance.

Generalter looks amazing :allears:

loving :lol: iron ballista and 11 hp Seth

and the radioactive Baguette

Oh man, we're off to a good start!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

16: A Peddler's Junk

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

vilkacis posted:

The peak/water option is basically so you can get characters who start on normally unwalkable terrain to move - the bandits in Ross/Garcia's chapter can't get off the mountains if they're, say, mercenaries, for instance.

Generalter looks amazing :allears:

Ah, that makes sense. I guess "pure random" just changes which classes can and can't cross water/mountains, then?

I have no idea if the class fuckery in the prologue applies to just us or to Valter, too. I hope not, because he looks awesome as is.

Edit: That 13x looked... fun. It's a good thing Florina is strong enough to bench-press the entire army.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 1, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sacred Stones was my introduction to the series, but I prefer Hector and Eliwood's Excellent Adventure

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
What about Lyn :mad:

Minus Green posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I guess "pure random" just changes which classes can and can't cross water/mountains, then?

I think so. Probably wouldn't recommend it since there's a chance it could lock the game.

quote:

I have no idea if the class fuckery in the prologue applies to just us or to Valter, too. I hope not, because he looks awesome as is.

I played this a while back but I don't remember how it works. Based on the scene-to-scene changes, probably Valter will re-randomize every time he shows up.

quote:

Edit: That 13x looked... fun. It's a good thing Florina is strong enough to bench-press the entire army.

Florina is very good.

It really wasn't that bad after the initial wyvern WHAT. But it was a big WHAT.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
So I decided to try the FE8 self Randomizer myself.
Eirika was randomized to a horse healer.
Turns out there's a scripted cutscene that requires her to retaliate on an attack, and it forces her to heal the opponent.

The game doesn't like that very much.

I put it on 16x fast forward for about 5 minutes, and he's still being healed.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Just as a warning about Death Blow; both FEH and FE14 Death Blow are part of the self-randomizing rom, so you might have a +35 Crit Eirika once she promotes.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

Just as a warning about Death Blow; both FEH and FE14 Death Blow are part of the self-randomizing rom, so you might have a +35 Crit Eirika once she promotes.

...Huh. I didn't actually know that - I figured there would only be one instance of each skill. I look forward to what other silly skill loadouts I end up with.

Are you playing on Easy? I don't think the randomizer accounts for the tutorials, which can lead to situations like that. You might have to just play on Normal instead.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Fair; I just chose easy because I'm actually not super experienced with FE as a whole, and didn't think it would cause any trouble

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Why would you let me know this exists not four days before I have an exhibition to show off at? Must... restrain.... hand...

In all seriousness, wow. This does look fun. I'll content myself with reading... for now...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
ooh, the ff8 self-randomizer rom sounds hilarious

also hooray for the thread!

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

The prologue was pretty short, so how about another quick update?

02: The Right Honorable King Breguet

EDIT: Changed the wording on my "explanation" of Barricade+ to try and better reflect what the description actually says.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 1, 2019

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

pffffffftttttt

That's one way to make an archer actually good. Also, anyone know exactly what Barricade(+) does? The wording is confusing. I can't find any reference to it as a skill in other FE games.

This line from the self-randomizer change log makes me smile:

"Flashy mode now works in vanilla! (all boss kill attacks show the critical animation)"

Roluth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 1, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

I didn't notice until you reposted that screenshot that I managed to leave my mouse cursor in the active window when I took it. :doh:

I... would also appreciate an explanation on Barricade. I tried to test it out, but the next chapter isn't really turning out to be that conducive to it.

EDIT:

Roluth posted:

This line from the self-randomizer change log makes me smile:

"Flashy mode now works in vanilla! (all boss kill attacks show the critical animation)"

So the superfluous crit finishes I've been getting have been scripted the whole time??? :aaaaa:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see that, like the theme of vilkacis' run is "no Con", Minus Green gets "no defenses". Honestly, I'm not entirely sure which I'd keep.

...But I'd definitely keep Yune's palettes. Some of the FE8 randomizer ones are horrifying.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I dunno, I am all about Valter's hideous living axe covered in purple veins.

That's seriously all I can see it as.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Glad to see this thread here! I'll be chipping in shortly with my own run. I'm still working on getting my screenshot system back up and running (my last SSLP was two computers ago), but here's a preview screenshot from a randomizer I'll bet some of you didn't know existed.

Are you sure you want to encourage this, Greil?

For obvious reasons, I may or may not be using this particular randomizer outcome.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

AxeCon is going well I see.

I don't think I've ever seen so much axe use before... But Florina, bencher of armies is glorious.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Sorites posted:

This isn't the worst way to find out you're adopted, I guess.

Also bookmarking the heck out of this thread because I revel in Weird Color Palettes and Chaos.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

:yeshaha:

This is pretty much the best mess I could ask for.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Okay. I've tested the FE9 randomizer some more and worked out some quirks, which I'll be discussing as they come up. This involved playing, in speed-up mode, through a bunch of chapters -which means the current randomize is no longer useful to me.

I'll start a new version tomorrow; expect an update covering the first few chapters within about 24 hours of this post going up.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't see anything strange about this, just a girl making sure her brother is thoroughly healthy.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Why would you let me know this exists not four days before I have an exhibition to show off at? Must... restrain.... hand...

Excuse you, the proper phrase is "Down, sword hand!"

I imagine this thread will be going a lot longer than four days, so feel free to chip in at a later date if you want!

Minus Green posted:

Oh. That's how bad it can be. Because Breguet doesn't have a weapon and therefore can't attack, the game hangs here, forcing me to reset and then mash Start to get through the cutscenes.

:roflolmao:

It was even better than anticipated.

Barricade looks curious. It makes me think it should halve damage taken on enemy phase, but if so, it would probably just have said that.

:stare: Hawkeye+... Well then.

Sorites posted:

Greil is a good, supportive dad who accepts his son even if he is a furry degenerate.

(You should probably used jpgs for this. Looks good, though!)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
These randomizers are going places. :allears:

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
After resetting and playing through on normal, I ran into a second softlock:

I killed the boss before the last other enemy and the map didn't end; then, I killed the final.enemy and now I'm stuck

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I think Barricade+ halves the damage you take if there are no more attacks coming this combat round. So if you're getting doubled, getting hit and can't retaliate, or attacking on your turn but won't double.

If the enemy gets the last hit of the fight, that hit is for half damage.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

These randomizers are going places. :allears:

Oh yes. Oh, yes indeed.

Namagem posted:

After resetting and playing through on normal, I ran into a second softlock:

That's really weird. I don't remember how far I got when I played that, but definitely past that part.

Sorites posted:

If the enemy gets the last hit of the fight, that hit is for half damage.

That sounds logical.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Alright, let's do this. I'll be playing Fire Emblem 9: Path of Radiance, using Jespoke's FE9 Character Editor and Randomizer.

The Tellius games are my favourites in the series by far, but there's no randomizer for FE10 that I know of. If there is, please tell me; in that case I'll transfer my clear data of this run into that for a follow-up campaign.

I'll be skimming right past the story. Fedule did a screenshot Let's Play which is in the Archive; if you're new to Tellius, I suggest you check that out. I'm here for the mechanical chaos.

Being a more complex game than the GBA ones, FE9 is harder to randomize and you can do less with it. You can only reassign classes, growths, bases, and skills to characters; you can't change item stats or how skills function. You also can't affect generic enemies, so only my side of the board will be altered.

That said, there's still plenty of room for insanity.

(We aren't actually using that run.)

Without further ado, let me present Fire Emblem: Path of Randomness!

---

Table of Contents
Episode 1: Murder, Song, and Fire
Episode 2: Feathers and Fur
Episode 3: Thunder and Lightning
Episode 4: Sorites vs Cowards

Audience Participation Rules

Sorites fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 7, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

That's quite a lucky Ike you have there. :v:

Hopefully Oscar secretly has some wacky growths to make up for the fact that he really shouldn't be anywhere near a battlefield.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, complaining about getting a healer seems kind of mean in this thread. Just look at poor vilk's run.

I saw only one image of him and I still miss Dragon Ike, but Bow Knike seems to be doing pretty well. Lucky boy.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That FE9 randomiser is... certainly something :P It works a lot better than I expected it to (I'm really impressed the game didn't crash on the bandit being killed, actually), and some of these results are weirdly hilarious.

Of course, a lot of the classes having character models tied to specific people makes this look really weird. Titania being Jill is actually not a terrible fit, at least? But the other things that have been happening here... hoo boy. How much weirder can this get?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly, complaining about getting a healer seems kind of mean in this thread. Just look at poor vilk's run.

I saw only one image of him and I still miss Dragon Ike, but Bow Knike seems to be doing pretty well. Lucky boy.

I felt a lot better about Oscar once I remembered that Rhys would be something different.

I remembered that when I learned he was a cat.

I'm pretty grateful for Oscar now, even though Clerics are terrible :shobon:

Explopyro posted:

Of course, a lot of the classes having character models tied to specific people makes this look really weird. Titania being Jill is actually not a terrible fit, at least? But the other things that have been happening here... hoo boy. How much weirder can this get?

People don't often think about it, but in a normal playthrough you'll almost never have two units of the same gender and class. Tormod's Fire Mage is different from Soren's Wind Mage, for example. I think the only exceptions are Muarim/Mordecai, Volke/Sothe, Soren/Bastian, and Zihark/Stefan.

So most classes are bound to one, and precisely one, player-side figurine and battle model. Enemy-only classes work fine mechanically but have red palettes and generic models. And certain classes, which I believe are impossible to randomly get, crash the game unless you turn off battle animations. No one but Ashnard can be Ashnard, for example.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 1, 2019

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Was Dragon Ike an enemy Red Dragon, then? Because the only one I remember you getting in this game is Ena and I remember her being pink as a nod to her heritage.

Are Black Dragons in FE9? I'm guessing not but they might be dummied.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Are Black Dragons in FE9? I'm guessing not but they might be dummied.

There definitely aren't any in the normal game, and I don't think they were dummied out either. I could be wrong, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Pffft! That is so unfair.

So is wyvern lord Titania, holy poo poo :stare:

Aw, Ability to Fight at All, Ever was my favourite skill of Oscar's in vanilla.

That was pretty great. Welcome to the early dancer club! I do not pity you at all :getin:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Sorites posted:

People don't often think about it, but in a normal playthrough you'll almost never have two units of the same gender and class. Tormod's Fire Mage is different from Soren's Wind Mage, for example. I think the only exceptions are Muarim/Mordecai, Volke/Sothe, Soren/Bastian, and Zihark/Stefan.

Does pre-promotion Tormod actually have unique models? I know he promotes to a generic Sage, whereas (as you mention) Soren and Bastian have unique Sage models. (There's no Fire/Wind/Thunder Mage class division in this game, you're thinking of RD.) And Ilyana promotes to a generic female Sage (she shares models with Calill), although as the only female Mage in the game her unpromoted models might be unique too.

You may be right about the others to some extent, too, although there are definitely characters of the same gender and class where neither use unique models. Gatrie and Brom, for instance, both just use Knight models here. And this game has loads of Paladins; I think Titania is the only one who has a separate character model there (I don't remember if Astrid and Petrine get different models from the men).

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

03: Dance Dance Ross-olution

In which Killer Lances continue to be the bane of my (and Ross's, and Gilliam's) existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Was Dragon Ike an enemy Red Dragon, then? Because the only one I remember you getting in this game is Ena and I remember her being pink as a nod to her heritage.

I think anyone who rolls the female Red Dragon will be pink; males are this red colour.