Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Sorites posted:

I think anyone who rolls the female Red Dragon will be pink; males are this red colour.

EDIT:What does the FE8 randomizer do with the trainee classes? I feel like most randomizers try to keep units in their starting tier (Oscar not promoted, Titania promoted) but Ross isn't any of the "zeroth tier" classes. Could someone else roll a trainee class?

... Real edit: Quote is not edit. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Sorites posted:

EDIT:What does the FE8 randomizer do with the trainee classes? I feel like most randomizers try to keep units in their starting tier (Oscar not promoted, Titania promoted) but Ross isn't any of the "zeroth tier" classes. Could someone else roll a trainee class?

... Real edit: Quote is not edit. drat.

The trainee classes are randomized just like any other, and it's possible to run into enemy trainees as well (the next chapter will have an enemy Pupil ignore this, I had to reset and now it's not there anymore). I once had a run where Eirika was a Recruit, and that was... interesting.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 2, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well! Welcome to the Early Dancer and Early Boots clubs.

Garcia could have been good, his speed base is enough to offset the crummy growth, it's just... man, those axes just aren't much fun, are they.

Moulder the ball-der looks pretty decent, as balls go.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

17: The Use Of Staves

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Wow, that poison bow... it's a good thing Lucius was able to get a spare bow so quickly.

Oh hey, Nils is actually starting to turn out decent! Good on him.

The next chapter looks like it'll be fun :allears:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

That next map...

What the hell did you even do?!?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think moving all this to its own thread was the right decision because there's tons of good FE content and people can have fun talking about it without affecting others. That PoR randomizer looks pretty funny. :allears:

Also vilk, I think you should give Guy the Body Ring because he's your main lord and being able to double more or even just be doubled less would be good overall. And he won't get his promo for a long time (unless the randomizer changes that) so he won't get his Con boost from promoting until near endgame.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

thetruegentleman posted:

That next map...

Hardcore training, what else?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Does this qualify me for the club?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I wanna play these Randomizers so bad but my VBA is loving up all to hell. Save files and save states keep corrupting and I can't figure out why or how to fix it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FE8: Can player-monster units promote?

FE9: Ike can use Ragnell if hes randomized into a magic unit or something? What does that animation look like? And do you have a link to the randomizer

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 2, 2019

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I wanna play these Randomizers so bad but my VBA is loving up all to hell. Save files and save states keep corrupting and I can't figure out why or how to fix it

Try mGBA instead.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

FE9: Ike can use Ragnell if hes randomized into a magic unit or something? What does that animation look like? And do you have a link to the randomizer

Ike can only use Ragnell if he's in a class that can use swords. The same concept applies to Elincia and Amiti and Rolf with Rolf's Bow.

The randomizer itself is here, but you'll also need a few other .iso modifying tools that to be honest, I no longer remember where to find. The documentation on the randomizer should have all you need though.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

So here's a fun fact about the self-randomizer. Somehow, whether or not you visit shops in between chapters can affect how the next chapter randomizes. This can change enemy classes and stats, but more importantly, remember that picture of Neimi I posted in the last update? Well, now, all of a sudden, I have to work with this:

:suicide:

FE8: Can player-monster units promote?

They can, but unless this randomizer changes it, they only gain Con on promotion.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just want to say that this thread is amazing and I am happy it exists.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sorites posted:

Ike can only use Ragnell if he's in a class that can use swords. The same concept applies to Elincia and Amiti and Rolf with Rolf's Bow.

The randomizer itself is here, but you'll also need a few other .iso modifying tools that to be honest, I no longer remember where to find. The documentation on the randomizer should have all you need though.

So if Ike gets randomozed into a fighter, are you screwed when it comes to the BK fight?

Do the FE8 monster units use the same promotion items human ubits do

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 2, 2019

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Oh boy, soft locks in 8? The earliest I found one (or course in easy mode) it asked me to move to the enemy. I didn't have enough movement. I could not complete the first step of the game. orz

I might get in on this randomise action too. I'm enjoying the crazy. X3

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Do the FE8 monster units use the same promotion items human ubits do

They can use Master Seals, but I'm not sure about other items. I would imagine so, though.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

So if someone randomizes into a lord class, do that have to wait for the story to give them a Heaven Seal or can they use another item instead.?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

So if Ike gets randomozed into a fighter, are you screwed when it comes to the BK fight?

Yeah. There's a much lower than 50% chance of Ike being usable against BK or Ashnard. I was legitimately happy to see Bow Knight.

Stuff like this is why the Tellius games are hard to fully randomize. There are a lot more unit- and chapter-specific flags that can be easily broken.

FE9 has more invisible skills like Protagonist and Can Equip Demi Band and Doesn't Die When Killed As Hostile (that last one is Shinon) than it has visible skills. For obvious reasons, the randomizer doesn't touch these. No Goddess Blessed characters for me.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

04: The Bandits of Doggo

In which I still don't get a good opportunity to demo Barricade. I'll slow my roll on updates after this, I've just had a lot of free time to churn these out lately.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
No Goddess Blessed characters for me.

Hmm? Is Sephiran's skill a placeholder, then?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bloodly posted:

Hmm? Is Sephiran's skill a placeholder, then?

I would assume so, given that neither the BK nor Ashnard possess it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm kinda sad that Vilk's units can't randomly gain extra Con on level up, with how bad people are turning out.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I would assume so, given that neither the BK nor Ashnard possess it.

I don't know if Mantle does anything, or if it's just a decoy for the invisible Goddess Blessed skill which definitely functions as you'd expect Mantle to. I don't know what happens if you hack Mantle onto a character without also giving them Goddess Blessed.

In either case, neither Mantle nor Goddess Blessed is a valid skill for the randomizer to assign.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

That next map...

Oh, you know. Just the usual.

FPzero posted:

Also vilk, I think you should give Guy the Body Ring because he's your main lord and being able to double more or even just be doubled less would be good overall. And he won't get his promo for a long time (unless the randomizer changes that) so he won't get his Con boost from promoting until near endgame.

I may well end up doing that. Right now, though, it's just like, he goes from really negative speed to slightly less negative speed, so it won't actually do anything.

Sorites posted:

Does this qualify me for the club?

I say that counts.

And I made the thread, so I get to decide these things. :hai:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

SystemLogoff posted:

Try mGBA instead.

Or a different version of vba. The one that's just called "vba" hasn't been updated in a long while, but there's a vba-m that's more recent, and maybe one other one as well? I seem to remember.

marshmallow creep posted:

I just want to say that this thread is amazing and I am happy it exists.

:buddy:

silversatyr posted:

I might get in on this randomise action too. I'm enjoying the crazy. X3

The more the merrier! ...or you know, at least shared suffering.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

So if someone randomizes into a lord class, do that have to wait for the story to give them a Heaven Seal or can they use another item instead.?

I didn't get that far in my first run, but everyone else promotes with the regular stuff so presumably lords do as well. In FE7, at least, you get two of them in plot scenes, so since Mani Katti is untouched, these probably are as well.

Minus Green posted:

What the gently caress happened to Neimi?!

:goonsay: THEY PUT PPPPPPffft no down sword hand

At least her palette is nice!

Wow, they spawned aura on mooks in single-digit chapters, that would have been really mean if it weren't awful.

Hahaha that 50 gold. :allears: I'm thinking that's the kind of thing that's just supposed to give you gold when you take it.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm kinda sad that Vilk's units can't randomly gain extra Con on level up, with how bad people are turning out.

Guess who's also sad

But Bartre and Florina can probably carry this team until Nino promotes, so I'm actually pretty well off.

(This doesn't mean I'm about to stop complaining.)

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Hahaha that 50 gold. :allears: I'm thinking that's the kind of thing that's just supposed to give you gold when you take it.

I think that's exactly what it is. I remember when I was getting gold drops on chapter 1, the enemies had the corresponding gold "item" in their inventory. If only I could drop it and get the right money for it :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

Try mGBA instead.
Any chance for a quick tutorial on how to set up and patch an emulator, without getting the ROM obviously?
I'd love to try my hand at FE8 again but I'm kinda lost here.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know about mGBA, but with VBA you just download, unzip it where you want it, and run it. You'll want to go to options->input->configure to set up your controller/keyboard, and that should be all that's strictly necessary. Options->video->configure will let you change how it looks (I recommend setting the filter to simple 2x or 3x, because I find smoothing filters almost always look awful, but just pick one you like).

The FE8 self-randomizer is a patch and needs a ups patcher. Yune will output a patched rom on its own, no need for additional utilities.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

mGBA is the same thing, unzip to a folder and run. I only recommend it because it's still getting updates.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
mGBA is extremely simple, actually! You open the program (unzip it, then find the actual program in the file it makes), choose the rom to run from an option in mGBA (make sure it’s in a .gba format), and then, from mGBA itself, choose to apply a patch to it (patch in .ups format here). No need for an external patcher, even.

May be more complicated for windows vs mac, but I doubt it.

To make it even clearer, on a mac:

1) download mGBA and unzip it (use unarchiver or something).
2) find the actual mGBA application/program in the unzipped folder, run it
2.5) have a ROM in a .gba format, shove it into the same folder as the mGBA app for easy access
3) load the ROM using the command that appears in the "file" dropdown in the top left, shove
3.5) have a patch for the ROM in .ups format, shove it in the mGBA folder like the ROM
4) load the patch using the command that appears in the file dropdown

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 2, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

18: Hammertime

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wait, who did Dart replace on that map?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Wait, who did Dart replace on that map?

Heath, I think.

Like, the actual Heath. It's weird I have to specify that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe I'm remembering wrong because I haven't played in a few years but doesn't Actual Heath show up after meeting Athos? Or is he one of those characters who makes an early cameo in the form of a big neon sign that says "I can be recruited at some unspecified point in the future that may or may not make sense"?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actual Heath only shows up early in this Hector-mode exclusive chapter, otherwise you get him before you go to the desert but after retreating from Death Isle.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

"Hmm which of Sealen's weapons should he drop, the hammer or the hammer?"

If memory serves, his Actually Good item drop is HHM only.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Taking bets on how many maps vilkacis has to go without a healer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I bet his first healer comes as a promotion he has to do himself. I remember the same thing happening to me when I did a randomized run years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'll need a guiding ring for that, though... :iiam: