Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Thanks to this thread, I've decided to play FE8 for the first time with the randomizer! Always heard it was the easiest FE to get into (plus I've read the LPs), so I figured I might as well.

I was afraid of having to restart due to getting an unworkable class or something, but the start seems fine so far. I have a bard Eirika with decent growths/low stats you'd expect from a beginning unit. As for Seth, though...

Skills: Quick Burn (+15 Hit&Avoid, bonus decreasing each turn), Canto (can move again after certain actions), Full Metal Body (immune to all the Seal skills), Killing Machine (total crit rate doubled)

I'm glad he still lives up to his not-Jeigan legacy, but wow :eyepop: Apparently Mage Knight is a promoted class though, so I guess the stats are less impressive than if he was a basic class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Behold the single worst enemy I've ever seen...

and his boss

Oh, and let's not forget an addendum, a hilarious joke:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jen X fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 4, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think there's something wrong with my Seth's personal skill. He has something called Grisly Wound, and it's supposed to deal extra damage equal to 20% enemy max HP after battle. However it doesn't seem to apply correctly, or maybe I should say it applies too much. I think any unit that initiates battle while standing adjacent to him ends up taking that 20% extra damage to their own health, including my own units. I can't otherwise explain why my units keep taking damage after battle at random. I'm going to have to test this more when I'm not facing down a load of mages with very strong, accurate tomes in chapter 4. If it is him causing it, I gotta remove that skill because there's no way it's intentional to have it affect adjacent allied units.

Edit: Well never mind, my run send to have glitched and chapter 4 won't end even though the defeat enemies condition has been met. I guess my run is over.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 4, 2019

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The Self-Randomizer doesn't seem very stable. It's hilarious but probably not good for a full playthrough.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

Edit: Well never mind, my run send to have glitched and chapter 4 won't end even though the defeat enemies condition has been met. I guess my run is over.

You're the second person to report getting stuck on that chapter, so something definitely seems to be up with it.

Can you try loading your save in an unmodified FE8 rom? The randomizer is so modified I can't really say if it'll work, but it's possible you could finish the vanilla chapter and then switch back to the randomized rom after that.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

The Self-Randomizer doesn't seem very stable. It's hilarious but probably not good for a full playthrough.

It seems to perform worse now than when I was playing it, which is strange. I don't remember seeing a lot of reports like this back then. Although, it has been a while...

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I gave the Path of Radiance randomizer a try and now Ike is a mage with Ilyana's animations. Unfortunately he ran out of uses on his wind tome, so he's spent the last map sitting in a bush out of enemy range.

Boyd and Titania are both white dragons. Oscar is a soldier and I have high hopes for him, but so far he's gaining speed and nothing much else. Rhys on the other hand is an axe knight and a murder machine. Gatrie is a bow knight, I'm hoping for Lance Knight Astrid to complement him. He's pretty good.

Shinon became a sword master with Resolve. He activated it on the last map. There were no survivors.

Poor Soren is a Lv 1 Myrmidon. I boxed an archer in for him and it took him five turns to whittle the guy down. At least his level was good? He also didn't bring a wind tome for Ike, so this is bad. How long until the first droppable tome?

Mist has a ranger silhouette, I'm excited.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm trying out the FE8 randomizer, and with the luck I've gotten I think my Eirika might be able to just carry the game by herself.

It's not enough that I was given an absurdly powerful infinite use tome early on, her skills are absurd too. Her randomized personal skill is Hawkeye which makes her always hit. Her class skill is Malefic Aura which causes enemies to take +2 magic damage when they're within two tiles as well. Hex is a wasted slot that does nothing for her thanks to Hawkeye, but she also has Adept which gives her a speed% chance for an extra attack in battle.

My current strategy has been 'Eirika murders something, gets danced, murders another thing, gets songed, murders again.'

Also, she's somewhat balanced by everyone else being kinda.... mediocre to useless.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 4, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Everything about that is amazing. The stats... the skills... the weapon... the fact that she has 0 effective speed wielding it... Just pure Randomizer™ :allears:

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Erika's colors on Ephraim's sprite: pretty sweet.

Gilliam's colors on Moulder's sprite: agghghgh

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GrabbinPeels posted:

Erika's colors on Ephraim's sprite: pretty sweet.

Gilliam's colors on Moulder's sprite: agghghgh

Wow, Eirika-coloured Ephraim really looks super good.

About the other one... He's glowing. I can't imagine that's a bad thing. He must be full of power to glow like that.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

About the other one... He's glowing. I can't imagine that's a bad thing. He must be full of power to glow like that.

He looks like when Terrorsaur absorbed all the raw Energon.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blaze Dragon posted:

He has eaten the hottest chili on the planet and become one with the spice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Trying to figure out who was in what role in the FE7 randomizer is throwing me for a loop

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

You're the second person to report getting stuck on that chapter, so something definitely seems to be up with it.

Can you try loading your save in an unmodified FE8 rom? The randomizer is so modified I can't really say if it'll work, but it's possible you could finish the vanilla chapter and then switch back to the randomized rom after that.

I can try but I don't know how it'll work on phone. Either way I think I'm gonna report it and the weird Grisly Wound interaction to the thread on FEU.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

I can try but I don't know how it'll work on phone. Either way I think I'm gonna report it and the weird Grisly Wound interaction to the thread on FEU.

Reporting it is definitely good. Hopefully there's a fix for it.

If not, if you can't get it to work but can upload the save somewhere, I can see if I can get it to work on my end.

RBA Starblade posted:

Trying to figure out who was in what role in the FE7 randomizer is throwing me for a loop

It's pretty great, isn't it! But I may as well put up a list, so, in something like their order of appearance:

Ninian is Lyn, Guy is Hector, and Matthew is Eliwood.
Hector is Sain
Jaffar is Kent
Priscilla is Florina
Dorcas is Wil
Rath is Dorcas
Florina is Serra
Lucius is Erk
Heath is Matthew
Karel is Rath
Erk is Nils
Eliwood is Lucius
Rebecca is Ninian
Raven is Wallace
Kent is Oswin
Legault is Lowen
Wil is Bartre
Bartre is Marcus
Nino is Rebecca
Nils is Guy
Merlinus is still Merlinus
Serra is Priscilla
Dart is Heath
Wallace is Raven

And speaking of...

20: Luck poo poo Stack

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 4, 2019

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
More axes! :black101: Those are some crappy stats though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How many of your melee units don't use axes?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually yeah I wanna know how many axe users you've been "gifted".

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

drat, the randomizer really seems to have an axe to grind with you. It's too bad so many of your units are on the chopping block because their stats just don't make the cut...

i'll see myself out

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Minus Green posted:

drat, the randomizer really seems to have an axe to grind with you. It's too bad so many of your units are on the chopping block because their stats just don't make the cut...

i'll see myself out

You might say it's trying to hammer in a point? :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

As of the end of this update, I have eight units who can use axes.

Seven of them have no other weapon ranks. And one of them is Florina.

In vanilla, at this point you would have three axe locked units, and Marcus.

e:

Minus Green posted:

i'll see myself out

:froggonk:

Ramos posted:

You might say it's trying to hammer in a point? :v:

:frogout:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 4, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

06: Dancing Machine (Plus Some Words About Version 1.3)

This update ran kind of long, due in no small part to me getting kind of carried away with arena grinding. :sweatdrop:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I'll be the first to admit, the FE9 randomizer has been very kind to me so far. I think that's starting to change; the Ike solo has to end, but I keep getting hard-to-use units, especially with the small early-game character counts. Counting Oscar, Boyd, and Rhys - who aren't available today - I have six units. Of the whole set, only Ike has been able to actively participate in combat without it being a waste.

By comparison, the third chapter of FE7's non-tutorial modes give you 10 units to deploy and lets you recruit an 11th.

So if it feels like the FE9 randomizer isn't taking off quite yet, I agree. Fortunately, I think things are starting to get interesting.

In today's update, I get to:
  • Actually Think for the first time,
  • fight seriously with characters other than Ike, and
  • discover a feature of the FE9 randomizer which no other one seems to have.
Intrigued? Then it's time for Episode 3: Thunder and Lightning!

Sorites fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 5, 2019

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Does Pragmatic apply to healing, or does the game know the difference between staff use and combat?

quote:

I don't know if this is another 1.3 thing, but now there's a little text bubble that pops up when allies can talk to enemies.

This is a newly added quality of life feature to balance out how hard it is to keep track of everything after randomizing. Talk opportunities (including between your own units) get this bubble, and enemies with dangerous weapons (effective, killer, and I think brave) get a warning icon when you're moving a unit.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 5, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Skills seem to get pretty wild. I can see why the game would have items to manipulate them. Nonetheless...not sure if I'm a fan. It reminds me uncomfortably of Fates.

God, when you put the characters that way, it feels like the randomizing is not working in your favour at all beyond weirdly impressive Bow Knike. All the characters are worse than their counterparts in the same class, which is kind of lame.

At least Soren has a crapton of move.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

God, when you put the characters that way, it feels like the randomizing is not working in your favour at all beyond weirdly impressive Bow Knike. All the characters are worse than their counterparts in the same class, which is kind of lame.

I'm going to do my Shinon analysis next update now that I know what actually happened with him, but let me take a second to point out that amazing 3 base Speed at sixteenth level.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 5, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Sorites posted:

Does Pragmatic apply to healing, or does the game know the difference between staff use and combat?

This is a newly added quality of life feature to balance out how hard it is to keep track of everything after randomizing. Talk opportunities (including between your own units) get this bubble, and enemies with dangerous weapons (effective, killer, and I think brave) get a warning icon when you're moving a unit.

Yes, the game differentiates between healing and combat, so Pragmatic wouldn't boost healing, as nice as that would be.

I had noticed the bubbles for dangerous weapons before as I definitely remember seeing them before the patch, but not the talk bubbles. They're a nice touch!

Also I can't wait to see the rest of 10-move Soren :allears:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Skills seem to get pretty wild. I can see why the game would have items to manipulate them. Nonetheless...not sure if I'm a fan. It reminds me uncomfortably of Fates.

Well, a good chunk of these skills are lifted directly from Fates, so maybe that's why they remind you of it :v: I'll admit, it does get annoying to deal with sometimes, both on my units (as a slight spoiler, the next chapter gives me a healer that has Life and Death with no way to take advantage of it) and on enemies (in this seed, Recruits have Bane as a class skill and I dread the day one of the enemy ones actually manage to proc it).

EDIT: I realized I forgot to show Joshua's growths in the last update, but they should be there now.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 5, 2019

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Minus Green posted:

This update ran kind of long, due in no small part to me getting kind of carried away with arena grinding. :sweatdrop:

My Natasha turned out to be a Tarvos with something like 16 STR and 19 SPD while Joshua turned out to be the Troubadour. Natasha's color palette surprisingly works well with the centaur sprite.

I've been having fun with my randomizer run so far because I've rolled some solid units (Lute as a pupil with a 90% magic growth and 15 starting MAG, Artur as a wyvern knight with almost max STR/SPD), but man, some of the generic enemy units can be really rough. I couldn't clear the next map because Kyle/Ford turned into extremely weak myrmidons, and Ephraim into a Tarvos with really nice 70-90% growths but base stats of 1-4... Orson was a 17 STR and 50 HP revenant, but that didn't help when the generics were all Ephraims packed with poison lances.

Luckily, this patch lets you skip maps! Entering the Konami code on the map turns on the Enemy Control function (lets you control other units manually), but it also brings up a Skip option in the action menu that immediately brings you to the post-map cutscene. Found out that last part by accident because I thought it meant the enemies would skip their turn, not end the map :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nondevor posted:

Luckily, this patch lets you skip maps! Entering the Konami code on the map turns on the Enemy Control function (lets you control other units manually), but it also brings up a Skip option in the action menu that immediately brings you to the post-map cutscene. Found out that last part by accident because I thought it meant the enemies would skip their turn, not end the map :v:

THANK YOU FOR THIS EXPLANATION! I had no clue what the code was doing because it didn't seem like it was inputting right. Since I'm playing on phone, I assumed that when I pressed "A" and didn't see the menu open up, that I wasn't pressing the screen hard enough. Turns out that inputting the code stops the menu from coming up and so I'd been double-inputting the "A" press each time. I can finally skip ahead to the next chapter and keep playing! (Goodbye good Eirika level up on the final enemy, since i needed them alive in order to use the Skip feature.)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

FPzero posted:

THANK YOU FOR THIS EXPLANATION! I had no clue what the code was doing because it didn't seem like it was inputting right. Since I'm playing on phone, I assumed that when I pressed "A" and didn't see the menu open up, that I wasn't pressing the screen hard enough. Turns out that inputting the code stops the menu from coming up and so I'd been double-inputting the "A" press each time. I can finally skip ahead to the next chapter and keep playing! (Goodbye good Eirika level up on the final enemy, since i needed them alive in order to use the Skip feature.)

Glad that helped! The Serene's Forest post could definitely use some more elaboration on the Konami code feature. Or any elaboration, really... for example, I thought it would immediately control the enemies, but the game still makes you go through Player Phase units > Enemy Phase units etc.

Does the game keep character level-ups when you skip? When I tried it, I saw the glowing text option pop up while trying to move my characters and pressed it first thing, so I lost at least a few units' worth of exp...

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 5, 2019

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Minus Green posted:

I think the reason why the cutscene characters like Glen and Cormag keep changing classes is because they're technically different units each time. I remember from a previous thread that the Tellius games have multiple instances of most major recurring enemies/NPCs and call up a different one each chapter they appear; I'm not versed enough in the technical matters to tell why it works this way, but it does. Presumably the GBA games work the same way, so Ch.5 Glen is a different unit from the Glen that was in the generals' meeting chapter.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

:allears:

My only guess is he rolled into Paladin somehow.

Or maybe Lion? That weight is massive.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 5, 2019

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I say Wyvern again, or possibly Dragon.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nondevor posted:

Glad that helped! The Serene's Forest post could definitely use some more elaboration on the Konami code feature. Or any elaboration, really... for example, I thought it would immediately control the enemies, but the game still makes you go through Player Phase units > Enemy Phase units etc.

Does the game keep character level-ups when you skip? When I tried it, I saw the glowing text option pop up while trying to move my characters and pressed it first thing, so I lost at least a few units' worth of exp...

Yes it does. I assume what it does is call the Ending_event for that chapter when you select the option. So wherever you happen to be, it'll just end the chapter as if you beat it that turn.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Nondevor posted:

Oh, gosh darn it. I used a cheat code to beat 5x because I kept running out of weapons, and there was an easier way the whole time?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Pragmatic on Natasha is pretty great.

I think Joshua is a second-tier journeyman, unless that's changed in the latest version.

:lol: Impale on Ross is pretty great, too. Four times the damage, holy poo poo.

Red outline on Joshua is clearly intentional, sometimes people just go splat when you hit them that hard.

Sorites posted:

Next Time:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtXVjOmvDY

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Bloodly posted:

I say Wyvern again, or possibly Dragon.

Well, we're all hoping for Dragon Soren anyway just for irony's sake.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Gilliam update: Bishop Gilliam is somehow worse.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GrabbinPeels posted:

Gilliam update: Bishop Gilliam is somehow worse.

Yeeeeah. I do like seeing these briefly, but it's so much nicer actually playing the game if people look at least somewhat normal.

And speaking of playing games...

21: Shiver Me Timbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Hahahah that Sain as Canas is fantastic.