Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

vilkacis posted:

e: but please size up the images because they are tiny. You can do them all at once with irfanview, file->batch conversion, set output format to png, check the "use advanced options" box, hit Advanced, then set to 200% under resize, and uncheck the "Use resample function" box below.

Duly noted.

Update 2: That didn't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
After the hell this game put me through the only time I played, seeing that Dieck and Lillina is incredibly therapeutic

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So here's the Artur it gave me.

I'm happy with him. Lute, on the other hand, is bad. She spawned as a Gargoyle with ridiculous Str base and growth, but unusable everything else.

For instance, a 20% Hp growth with a base of 15. 0 Def to back it up.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh my god.

Okay, so, extreme spoilers for something hilarious in the fe8 randomizer:

So, you know that moment when Eirika and Ephraim get to change classes post-chapter 16? They absolutely still get to even if they're currently promoted units of an entirely different class, resetting them to level 1 and not at all touching their stats. They don't suddenly get to use new weapon types though, but I suspect if my Ephraim and Eirika weren't both magic users, they might be able to use normal weapons.

This is amazing.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GeneX posted:

Oh my god.

So, you know that moment when Eirika and Ephraim get to change classes post-chapter 16? They absolutely still get to even if they're currently promoted units of an entirely different class, resetting them to level 1 and not at all touching their stats. They don't suddenly get to use new weapon types though, but I suspect if my Ephraim and Eirika weren't both magic users, they might be able to use normal weapons.

This is amazing.

That sounds, uh.

Incredibly unstable.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
FE girls did MUCH more to make things unstable in that regard, that shouldn't be a problem.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

In which I break down (read: bemoan) some more character stats, revel in the few good units I do have, and dive into an absolute clusterfuck of a swarm fight.

Path of Radiance has a bad habit of hitting you with maps that are just a disorganized mass of enemies in a wide open field. It's pretty disappointing, and I may comment more on it later, but this chapter is pretty good despite fitting that general description. I think it's the cramped quarters; you don't have those later-game turns of just moving all your troops in a straight line north-west, meeting no enemies and doing no thinking.

I can also feel the difficulty ramping up as the loose tutorial ends. No resets yet, but we're probably getting toward that point.

Episode 4: Sorites vs Cowards

Sorites fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 7, 2019

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, Soren's going to follow Ike right into the end game if this is how he starts off. Especially since that move after attack ability mounted units have in this game is B U S T E D.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
FE9: No way to check what the growths are?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Bloodly posted:

FE9: No way to check what the growths are?

There are plenty of ways, actually. The randomizer can be made to generate a changelog as a text file, or you can re-open the game in the randomizer and see the new values growths firsthand. You can even adjust them individually.

I've chosen not to do that. I'd rather be surprised.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Surprises can definitely be a thing. My Marcus turned into Rebecca the Sage. Pretty cool to have a healer, at least! ....Sages have 4 movement :(.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It is so weird seeing those 100+ growths everywhere :psyduck:

Ahaha Roy and Lilina showing up together, that's great

...and then there's Lot :goleft:

Goddamn all four are ludicrously busted by FE6 standards. Even Karel is going to be amazing if he just gets a few levels, and he's a mage, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Soren :allears:

(But my favourite is still Catgirl Rhys.)

Keldulas posted:

Surprises can definitely be a thing. My Marcus turned into Rebecca the Sage. Pretty cool to have a healer, at least! ....Sages have 4 movement :(.

The 4 move pain is real :(

At least you can still Physic from a distance!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh that Soren is a thing of beauty. I hope that he actually has a STR growth, unlike his vanilla self.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I checked the growths from my FE9 randomizer and...
Mage-Ike has 0% Speed
Myrmidon-Soren has 0% Strength
Axe-Knight Rhys has 0% Defense. (On the plus side, he also has 101% HP and 80% Strength.)

Just... :rolldice:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

I checked the growths from my FE9 randomizer and...
Mage-Ike has 0% Speed
Myrmidon-Soren has 0% Strength
Axe-Knight Rhys has 0% Defense. (On the plus side, he also has 101% HP and 80% Strength.)

Just... :rolldice:

Oh dear. I hope my Gatrie doesn't have any trap growths like that.

I guess the randomizer doesn't have minimums.

Maybe I should get my fiancee to review the changelog and grade each unit's growth on an arbitrary one- to five-star scale, just so we have something to go on without giving it all the way away.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not familiar with the FE9 randomizer. Does it have any settings for that kind of stuff?

23: Stealth General

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I'm not familiar with the FE9 randomizer. Does it have any settings for that kind of stuff?

No. It's really a modding tool that you're supposed to use deliberately, changing skills or inventories in a calculated way. The randomize button is kind of a throw in feature and doesn't have any settings.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’d love to play randomized fe9 but I have no idea what I would do with myself if a rolled a bad Soren.

I can’t NOT use him. That’s illegal.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sorites posted:

No. It's really a modding tool that you're supposed to use deliberately, changing skills or inventories in a calculated way. The randomize button is kind of a throw in feature and doesn't have any settings.

Ah.

Anyway, letting someone else give hints sounds like a good compromise.

hopeandjoy posted:

I'd love to play randomized fe9 but I have no idea what I would do with myself if a rolled a bad Soren.

I can't NOT use him. That's illegal.

:hai:

Which is why I suggest randomizing, checking his stats, and re-randomizing if they suck.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GeneX posted:

Oh my god.

This is amazing.

Update: it turns out that they can absolutely use spears and swords, and the game deals with the impossible weaponry by just refusing to show combat animations for it. And when they use the normal class weapons in combat, the game doesn't show them hitting or doing damage.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 7, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I decided to restart my run with new settings just to see what would happen. After tossing out a couple runs in the prologue, like unchanged Eirika with sniper Seth and Bard Eirika with Great Knight Seth (this one hurt because Seth was really good but i didn't want to deal with bard eirika), I got a Recruit Eirika with Wyvern Knight Seth. Seemed good, weapons were okay, skills were good. Got to Chapter 1 and Franz is a troubadour and Gilliam is an ephraim lord and looks fantastic. Yep it all looks good.

Except...Breguet has Lancebreaker as a skill. And is on a gate. And all my offensive units use lances. He has 98 avoid.

My run might be over already... :negative:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FPzero posted:

I decided to restart my run with new settings just to see what would happen. After tossing out a couple runs in the prologue, like unchanged Eirika with sniper Seth and Bard Eirika with Great Knight Seth (this one hurt because Seth was really good but i didn't want to deal with bard eirika), I got a Recruit Eirika with Wyvern Knight Seth. Seemed good, weapons were okay, skills were good. Got to Chapter 1 and Franz is a troubadour and Gilliam is an ephraim lord and looks fantastic. Yep it all looks good.

Except...Breguet has Lancebreaker as a skill. And is on a gate. And all my offensive units use lances. He has 98 avoid.

My run might be over already... :negative:

Lancebreaker only has 15ish uses and then it breaks. You could heal tank his wta away with franz

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Lancebreaker only has 15ish uses and then it breaks. You could heal tank his wta away with franz

Your confusing lancebreaker (a skill that will always be on) with lancereaver (a weapon that can break)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hunt11 posted:

Your confusing lancebreaker, a skill that will always be on with lancereaver, a weapon that can break.

Oh. Derp. Yeah, that's much, much worse than I thought.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Renault being in Jaffar's place is kind of funny.

Multiple bards and no unpromoted healers, what a game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I got past Lancebreaker Breguet because I forgot that Gilliam also has Lancebreaker, since it's the Ephraim Lord class skill. So they negated each others' skills and Gilliam was able to one-round him. On to chapter 2! Vanessa is an Eirika Lord, and Moulder is a Revenant. Upon entering the chapter, I see that Garcia is a wyvern rider and Ross is another Revenant. And they actually have stats and weapons and enemies nearby that won't get them killed immediately! This should be much better than the last run.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Decided to give Sacred Stones a shot. So far I've got an Eirika archer (which worked out great since the prologue boss was a Pegauss Knight) with usable bases and decent growths, Great Lord Spear Edition Seth who doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot beyond that, Soldier Gilliam whose gonna be benched sooner rather than later, Cavalier Franz who we'll see about (so again, nothing new there), Dancer Vanessa with a magic growth of 50 so again, we'll see and Moulder the Boulder, a Fighter who lives up to all their stereotypes. So far, nothing too much out of the ordinary for me, although I like the addition of abilities.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So I had to share this moment from my own randomizer game.

Uhhh.... goodbye mage-Geitz replacing Lucius. That bolting has 11 shots and only needs 5 to kill everyone in that cell.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

It's great seeing all this chaos. I'm just surprised we haven't seen any more "well, guess I'm not recruiting you" situations like that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I had a similar moment earlier in that game with the map where you normally get Priscilla in the southern village. I nearly lost that character too because all the bandits/corsairs rolled with 7 movement, and the only unit that could survive being sent out there alone had 5 movement. Managed to get to that village, and Karla-Priscilla was a troubadour with 4 movement.

That really soured the achievement :/.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I'm loving everyone's runs so far. I'm just :allears: seeing the crazy. There's something just so great about the chaos a randomiser provides. XD

Speaking of...
Chapter 2: Reality Shift

Oh boy chapter 2... I hate it even at the best of times. It's a filler chapter in a randomiser run, mainly because Mani Katti ain't worth the pain, but this run? I just hope chapter 3 is nicer to me. ;.;

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

silversatyr posted:

Mani Katti ain't worth the pain

Would be really nice if you got a Lyn lord somehow, though!

That is a really light iron axe! And it's not terrible in stats either. You're going to have a pretty good time if you get any axe users.

Haha that shaman just noped out.

And yeeeah you could have conserved that fire tome a bit more.

I do understand wanting to play it legit, I don't mean you should rng abuse, I'm just saying I wouldn't have the patience for it myself. It was kind of hilarious seeing you break Lucius' iron sword and crit fishing for 70 turns, though.

Man those Lucius levels were bad! ...and then I laughed like an idiot as he finally got one point of strength, and only had one sword use left. :roflolmao:

Glad you did better on the second run.

...Better hope you get someone who can save that village on the next map :shepspends:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how exactly do you patch the fe8 randomizer onto the fe8 file?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

So how exactly do you patch the fe8 randomizer onto the fe8 file?

vilkacis posted:

The FE8 self-randomizer is a patch and needs a ups patcher.

GeneX posted:

mGBA is extremely simple, actually! You open the program (unzip it, then find the actual program in the file it makes), choose the rom to run from an option in mGBA (make sure it’s in a .gba format), and then, from mGBA itself, choose to apply a patch to it (patch in .ups format here). No need for an external patcher, even.

May be more complicated for windows vs mac, but I doubt it.

To make it even clearer, on a mac:

1) download mGBA and unzip it (use unarchiver or something).
2) find the actual mGBA application/program in the unzipped folder, run it
2.5) have a ROM in a .gba format, shove it into the same folder as the mGBA app for easy access
3) load the ROM using the command that appears in the "file" dropdown in the top left, shove
3.5) have a patch for the ROM in .ups format, shove it in the mGBA folder like the ROM
4) load the patch using the command that appears in the file dropdown

Take your pick.

24: Kishu-nah

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

I'm a bit behind, but ouch Dorcas having the Assassin promotion gains really doesn't do him any favors. It's a good thing Lucius has good promotion gains waiting for him, though. I'm also amused by Vaida "randomizing" into her unpromoted class, and Aion's whole "thunder hear my cry!!" as a Nomad Trooper with swords.

Is it possible for Kishuna's posse to randomize into magic users? Because that would be pretty funny.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sassy gains or no, Dorcas is still very, incredibly, stupendously good :colbert:

I would expect that Kishuna's crew are fully random as well, but I can't say for certain. Would definitely be funny, so hopefully that's a thing that can happen.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

I've beaten FE7 probably thirty times over the years and I had literally no idea there was a 19xx. :psyduck: You have to grind Nils to level 7 in the prologue? Whyyy

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Usually, this kind of stuff gets blamed on "they wanted to sell strategy guides" and frankly it makes as much sense as just plain insanity.

But yeah. Nils to level 7. In the prologue. To unlock a side quest chapter if you manage unlock a different side quest chapter and kill a dude with 50 avoid within the space of a turn within that side quest chapter.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

08: Fog of Bore

I went into this chapter expecting it to be a lot worse, but things went pretty smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
19xx IS a fun super-secret-side chapter though.