Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Keuchel and Kimbrel are UFA at midnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Cubs are nothing more than a .500 team with a hot streak.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I'm beginning to suspect Charlie Montoyo may not be a very good manager. Some of his decisions are kinda weird. I mean he's been a bench coach in the league so he's not completely new to The Show. I should probably give him more than half a year to make up my mind but I'm fickle.

Ken Giles' pre-pitch routine is the most idiotic thing lol. But he's doing well so do your thing Ken.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Julio Cruz posted:

Moyer put up nearly 50 WAR. Edwin Jackson has nearly $80 million for 10.2 WAR total.

I mean Jamie Moyer also played for 25 years and has a career 103 ERA+.

He was a cool dude with some good moments but he was pretty average statewise.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Of Moyer, Procello, Hampton, Colon and Morris, Porecllo as the worst ERA+. Jackson making 80mm with a 90 ERA+ is quite amazing too.

I hate to dunk on the Mets but the Mets are paying 20mm for the next 2 year for Jeurys Familia and Jed Lawrie and the Yankees are paying 21mm in the next 2 years for DJ LeMahieu and Adam Ottavino. That is.... rough.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 2, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

never bunt hit dingers

mcmagic posted:

Of Moyer, Procello, Hampton, Colon and Morris, Porecllo as the worst ERA+. Jackson making 80mm with a 90 ERA+ is quite amazing too.

I hate to dunk on the Mets but the Mets are paying 20mm for the next 2 year for Jeurys Familia and Jed Lawrie and the Yankees are paying 21mm in the next 2 years for DJ LeMahieu and Adam Ottavino. That is.... rough.

LeMahieu has been in the bigs for 9 years now and is only having his second season of over 100 OPS+, might not want to necessarily count on it to be permanent

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 2, 2019

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The Mariners having a fire sale and all the Braves managed to get out of them was loving Anthony Swarzak

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

never bunt hit dingers

LeMahieu has been in the bigs for 9 years now and is only having his second season of over 100 OPS+, might not want to necessarily count on it to be permanent

He was signed as 5th infielder. He doesn't need to be as great as he's been so far for it still be a terrific contract.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

mcmagic posted:

I don't think there is a single person outside of the Wilpons that wanted Familia back, especially with who was available.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Also Lowrie was a waste, and was signed because no one in the Mets front office believed in Jeff McNeil, but McNeil could play. Who knew?

Armitage fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 2, 2019

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mcmagic posted:

He was signed as 5th infielder. He doesn't need to be as great as he's been so far for it still be a terrific contract.

Same with Jed lowrie?????

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

uggy posted:

Same with Jed lowrie?????

Yeah but he is playing and he's been great and Lowrie hasn't even played.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I don't know if there's a draft thread but I'd like to preemptively apologize to Adley Rutschman for the years he'll spend in Baltimore.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've always been confused about showing bunt. If you're gonna bunt it only works as a surprise, otherwise you get this. She was in a great position regardless of where that ball ended up because bunt was shown before the pitcher even wound up.

And even if the batter doesn't bunt, it's not like they have time to swing. You show bunt and you either make contact or you pull it back and you've burned a pitch.

It's the most obvious, least effective deke in sports (onside kick notwithstanding.)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The Cubs are nothing more than a .500 team with a hot streak.

But with the M’s sell off we can get Vogelbach back and finally trade him for Mike Trout!

Thank you for coming to my Cubs Blogger Talk.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I imagine Vogelbach is the closest thing to untouchable on the team since the fans love the big fat cube.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

I mean, yeah. None of those vets were meant to stick around. After 15 years of just hanging around the M's are finally having an intentional teardown and rebuild, thank loving God.

This 100x over. I'm ecstatic. I have absolutely no faith that they'll not completely gently caress up tanking in order to rebuild (Like comically starting 13-2 out of nowhere possibly costing them a draft position or two.), but at least they're finally trying. Of course they're shopping Bruce and Edwin and whatever else they can sell. They all had "trade at the deadline if they can" written all over them all along.

shirts and skins posted:

gently caress you Jamie Moyer kicked rear end

Also this. Moyer was awesome as poo poo. 34-54 career record and out of baseball at age 29. Then tacks on another 3374 innings and 235 wins after the age of 30.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The Mariners having a fire sale and all the Braves managed to get out of them was loving Anthony Swarzak

The fire sale was in November. This is the going out of business make us an offer everything worth a poo poo must go discount bin free for all. (Also there's this Mitch Haniger guy.)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Tony Phillips posted:

The fire sale was in November. This is the going out of business make us an offer everything worth a poo poo must go discount bin free for all. (Also there's this Mitch Haniger guy.)

Ah so the baseball equivalent of "office is closing time to steal the printer"

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Ah so the baseball equivalent of "office is closing time to steal the printer"

Basically. If the printer is Jay Bruce. drat thing cost too much and stopped working a couple years ago, but the M's plugged it in and it printed a few sheets. As is. No returns.

Mariner's writers saying Bruce's locker is packed up.
https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1135240240325509120

Reading that the Phillies were just willing to eat more of Bruce's contract than anyone else. Assuming it's a fringe prospect at best coming back.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shiroc posted:

I imagine Vogelbach is the closest thing to untouchable on the team since the fans love the big fat cube.

Speaking of, has he always gone by Daniel? The only place I've ever seen him referred to by his full name is a Mariners broadcast.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tony Phillips posted:

Basically. If the printer is Jay Bruce. drat thing cost too much and stopped working a couple years ago, but the M's plugged it in and it printed a few sheets. As is. No returns.

Mariner's writers saying Bruce's locker is packed up.
https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1135240240325509120

Reading that the Phillies were just willing to eat more of Bruce's contract than anyone else. Assuming it's a fringe prospect at best coming back.

Theory is that they'll use the salary dump to snag a FA pitcher in the off season. Not sure who though.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bryan Reynolds now has two 11 game hit streaks in this, his rookie season

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Theory is that they'll use the salary dump to snag a FA pitcher in the off season. Not sure who though.

Looking at Cot's, and daaaaamn. The M's contract obligations are falling off a table starting next year. Felix off the books, and apparently dumping Bruce's $14M bringing them down to $74 million.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm curious is Felix is ever going to pitch again or if he'll stay on the IL with his case of being bad.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
arg

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's all over for the cubs

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1135283795488366592

I’m curious: is that a photoshop swapping out his old cap and uni for the new, or when they take player portraits do they have them wear a green screen cap and jersey they can key out if need be?

I secretly hold out a little hope that they have every player take a picture in every uniform just in case, largely because that’s the silliest option.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like to believe that there's just a portfolio of baseball players wearing green caps and uniforms.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if every team had a closet with a spare jersey and hat from every other team in it for situations like this.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Teddybear posted:

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/1135283795488366592

I’m curious: is that a photoshop swapping out his old cap and uni for the new, or when they take player portraits do they have them wear a green screen cap and jersey they can key out if need be?

I secretly hold out a little hope that they have every player take a picture in every uniform just in case, largely because that’s the silliest option.

I used to do that for a living, basically photoshopping dumb images for twitter posts and making this exact sort of thing.

You can do it in about 15 minutes, but the key is to tell your boss that it takes all day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its actually super easy to photoshop those. Like the hat brim and uniform neck line are so clean that you can probably do it in 5 or 10 minutes.

I still like to imagine everyone has to pose with a green uniform at Spring Training because it makes me laugh.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1135296057729060864

wow this deal seems uh, idk, extremely Poop from the Butt for the mariners. even moreso than i imagined

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 2, 2019

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1135247525634564097

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1135256008996134915
Buxton good

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 2, 2019

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I love Cron at the end of that clip.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

DuhSal posted:

I'm beginning to suspect Charlie Montoyo may not be a very good manager. Some of his decisions are kinda weird. I mean he's been a bench coach in the league so he's not completely new to The Show. I should probably give him more than half a year to make up my mind but I'm fickle.

Ken Giles' pre-pitch routine is the most idiotic thing lol. But he's doing well so do your thing Ken.

We're three months in. Imma ask you to back up these thoughts about a dude who is still on the job training with some reasoning.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

wow this deal seems uh, idk, extremely Poop from the Butt for the mariners. even moreso than i imagined

Huh I thought it was the Mariners getting the 18 mil. If not, yeah, I don't even know why you bother with that trade.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zigmidge posted:

We're three months in. Imma ask you to back up these thoughts about a dude who is still on the job training with some reasoning.

Having a garbage team with no serious chance of winning on the near horizon can make evaluating a manager pretty impossible anyways.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

zapplez posted:

Having a garbage team with no serious chance of winning on the near horizon can make evaluating a manager pretty impossible anyways.

It's like listening to donks back in 2016 telling me how gibby shoulda been fired

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aye Doc posted:

Mariners must not like Jay Bruce since Jake Scheiner is a non-prospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When Ryon Healy gets back, there is no place for Bruce to play. The Cube is a DH/barely 1B, Edwin is 1B until he gets traded, Healy is 1B, Seager is the 3B. They have an army of outfield bodies. Bruce would probably have gotten DFAed.