Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who won E3?
This poll is closed.
No one 43 10.46%
Us, the gaming public 60 14.60%
Who Cares? 57 13.87%
Bowsette. 251 61.07%
Total: 411 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Monster Hunter World is so good, I think I’m going to reinstall it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Who watches streams? They’re something you throw up while folding clothes or as background noise on your second monitor.

Sometimes I actually pay attention when watching CJacobs streams, especially if it's a game I haven't played and probably won't ever play (Ashen)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am watching EU4 stream VODs in an effort to relearn how to play the game. This also involves me frequently pausing to read the screen and taking notes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I got my A license in Burnout Paradise and decided that was me done so I've moved on to Turok. First impression is that the lush prehistoric environment is a nice change of pace from other shooters but I have no idea why they turned him into a loving space marine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sometimes I still think about the babies who were named Turok for that AKKlaim contest

I hope they're doing well

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think i can play FF14 until i finish the jrpgs on my plate (trails 2nd chapter, arc the lad 2, shining force EXA, the last story, dq heroes 2, okage shadow king, FFXV, battle chasers)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am watching EU4 stream VODs in an effort to relearn how to play the game. This also involves me frequently pausing to read the screen and taking notes

whom are you watching

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

sometimes I still think about the babies who were named Turok for that AKKlaim contest

I hope they're doing well

Probably doing better than the kids named dovahkiin. Turok can be stretched to Rocky or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

whom are you watching

Currently I am watching DDRJake's Kalahandi elephant horde series

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Rarity posted:

I got my A license in Burnout Paradise and decided that was me done so I've moved on to Turok. First impression is that the lush prehistoric environment is a nice change of pace from other shooters but I have no idea why they turned him into a loving space marine.

Christ are you playing the 2008 reboot? Stop while you can.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

al-azad posted:

Probably doing better than the kids named dovahkiin. Turok can be stretched to Rocky or something.

Who are themselves doing better than the kids named Khaleesi

Can’t wait to see what new pop culture horrorshow dethrones them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
where does sephiroth rank on the pop culture name tier

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jenova Chen (of thatgamecompany) chose his English name because of the FF7 character

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's weird that there are kids named after video game characters running around out there but I guess it's no stranger than naming your child after a song you like, or some dude in the Bible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

al-azad posted:

Who watches streams? They’re something you throw up while folding clothes or as background noise on your second monitor.

I watched a streamer I like fight Sans for about 7 hours and tbh I was glued to the screen the entire time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

where does sephiroth rank on the pop culture name tier

Sephiroth: No, Cloud... I am your father
Cloud: ...what
S: lmao
C: lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jenova Chen (of thatgamecompany) chose his English name because of the FF7 character

jenova's a pretty cool name

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I was posting my opinion about GDQ.

Yeah but with what intent? The way you said it made it sound less like you were trying to share an opinion and more that you were stating an objective fact. As it is, your post came off less like "this is my opinion about gdq" and more like "this is the truth about gdq" at which point it comes across like you're looking for some kind of specific response and all I can really think to post is this

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
god i would hate to be reduce to only terrible cliches

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m with in training on this one which probably is an indicator that’s he’s in the wrong

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Really sinking my teeth into Divinity: Original Sin 2. Part of me wishes I would get tired of it so I can go back to an action game that I could have beaten twice over by now, but even as I approach the 50 hour mark I’m still enjoying myself. Makes me think about giving Original Sin 1 another shot, but that would definitely have to wait until after DMC5

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah but with what intent? The way you said it made it sound less like you were trying to share an opinion and more that you were stating an objective fact. As it is, your post came off less like "this is my opinion about gdq" and more like "this is the truth about gdq" at which point it comes across like you're looking for some kind of specific response and all I can really think to post is this

It's because I used to enjoy watching it but their gradual slide into 50% of the program being completely miserable setup/interviews has made me grown to dislike it, plus I don't like their business practices, plus the SA GDQ Chat regulars are some of the most heinous people on this website and I hate seeing their avatars and the emotes they buy. If you wanted more detail I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zeldathon is good poo poo though, in terms of hundred hour long twitch charity marathons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just think watching other people play videogames for you is a sin against the parish

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Snooze Cruise posted:

god i would hate to be reduce to only terrible cliches

In my head you're a cliche sassy witch which is a good cliche

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

Out of curiosity when is your first/next elder scrolls game? You're past morrowind but I don't remember when oblivion came out

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

In Training posted:

It's because I used to enjoy watching it but their gradual slide into 50% of the program being completely miserable setup/interviews has made me grown to dislike it, plus I don't like their business practices, plus the SA GDQ Chat regulars are some of the most heinous people on this website and I hate seeing their avatars and the emotes they buy. If you wanted more detail I guess.

I mean, I disagreed with you initially (and still do to some extent) because I like watching the speed runs and I think it's cool that they raise so much for charity but I now have context for why you feel that way and I can understand where you're coming from instead of thinking that you're just a troll or an rear end in a top hat or whatever so, like, yeah the detail helps.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Games Done Quick is still good overall, but it lacks a lot of its earlier fire and charm, simply because they've been doing the same thing for years and years now and grown more legitimate; I don't care for a lot of GDQ because so many of the games have been done already, you begin to want top quality commentary to have interest in watching a game, no real new tech for old stuff, and just the overall feel of the event

So I just do the sane thing, catch the one or two runs I WANT to see live, and then watch VODs for the others I'd like to see, enjoy myself, and move on

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
How was everyones june? Mine was v good. I have committed the cardinal sin of getting three new souls into dota 2. May god have mercy on my soul.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Thank you, basically what mutata said, the detail legit helps and I really do appreciate it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Black August posted:

but it lacks a lot of its earlier fire and charm, simply because they've been doing the same thing for years and years now and grown more legitimate; I don't care for a lot of GDQ because so many of the games have been done already, you begin to want top quality commentary to have interest in watching a game, no real new tech for old stuff, and just the overall feel of the event

This in particular I disagree with though because while there is a lot of difference between the earlier homeliness of getting a bunch of people into a room and just chatting while people did speedruns for charity, the professionally done side of things hasn't been bad either, offering various bonuses like attempting to maintain a safe environment, keep certain people away, and the various different runs still shake things up from year to year, event to event, and I don't think it is a bad thing that GDQ has gone more towards being professionally run. There is also a sizable amount of people who I disagree with because those people believe that Mike Uyama doesn't know what fun is and that them not being allowed to curse freely and say slurs during their speedruns means that Mike has turned GDQ into something that is just an SJW gathering and those kinds of thoughts are just dumb as hell lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cheetah7071 posted:

In my head you're a cliche sassy witch which is a good cliche

:gerty: :gerty: :gerty:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cowcaster posted:

i just think watching other people play videogames for you is a sin against the parish

Pretty much. I have pretty much never been able to get into any lp or streaming content for this reason, I'd rather just... Play the game? I did just spend the last week watching all of Let's Mosey which I found pretty great although I wish it had kept going and covered the rest of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Pretty much. I have pretty much never been able to get into any lp or streaming content for this reason, I'd rather just... Play the game? I did just spend the last week watching all of Let's Mosey which I found pretty great although I wish it had kept going and covered the rest of the game.

it's a really really good series that probably took up way too much time to make so i can see why he just ended it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

This in particular I disagree with though because while there is a lot of difference between the earlier homeliness of getting a bunch of people into a room and just chatting while people did speedruns for charity, the professionally done side of things hasn't been bad either, offering various bonuses like attempting to maintain a safe environment, keep certain people away, and the various different runs still shake things up from year to year, event to event, and I don't think it is a bad thing that GDQ has gone more towards being professionally run. There is also a sizable amount of people who I disagree with because those people believe that Mike Uyama doesn't know what fun is and that them not being allowed to curse freely and say slurs during their speedruns means that Mike has turned GDQ into something that is just an SJW gathering and those kinds of thoughts are just dumb as hell lol
sir this is an Arby's drive thru

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think people watch streams and lets plays foremost for the personalities of the people who are creating the content. it’s just another form of entertainment

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

June is End Boss Month, and the 30th is the End Boss of the month June, so it's the day to celebrate End Boss Month, which happens in the month of June, so today on this day the End Boss Day of June, the 30th, I will make up my mind and this year elect The Paradox Lich Duel from Enter The Gungeon. It's a special version of the extended game's true final boss, which you can only face by using a paradox character, forcing you to fight a two-on-one duel with a cool remix of the usual final theme. I elect this Boss on today, End Boss Day, the 30th and final end boss day of June 2019 God/Boss bless

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

i think people watch streams and lets plays foremost for the personalities of the people who are creating the content. it’s just another form of entertainment
yes it's 100% a parasocial relationship

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah chill I agree with that

I just mean more expanded/sponsored/professional means a certain (non-toxic) wild fun is lost, like anything of this nature after so many successful runs of it, there's nothing you can do about that save celebrate their 3 million success and be glad they've cleaned the event to such a mirror shine to help raise expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Black August posted:

Nah chill I agree with that

I just mean more expanded/sponsored/professional means a certain (non-toxic) wild fun is lost, like anything of this nature after so many successful runs of it, there's nothing you can do about that save celebrate their 3 million success and be glad they've cleaned the event to such a mirror shine to help raise expectations

I wasn't trying to accuse you of being like those other people, I am very sorry if it came across that way, that was not my intention.

homeless snail posted:

sir this is an Arby's drive thru

I like arby's so this is fine