Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

The issue is that 1991 NSX's are totally in that price range too :ohdear:

...... Can you afford both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

You're god drat right they are.

Buy one and let me live vicariously through you.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1987-porsche-carrera-coupe-c-9924.htm

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Cheap to maintain, reliable as hell, nice to drive even as a daily but it isn't a Porsche. There's one local with 350k+ miles on it which sees track days on a regular basis as well as being the guys daily. He loves it and hasn't had any issues. I almost got one but went with the M3 instead. That said air cooled 911's have a very distinct sound and feel that is near impossible to find anywhere else.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

I have not driven one. I really really very want to drive one but nobody in their right mind would let me unless I were very serious I imagine.

Too bad you're not near Ohio. My cousin's husband has a '93 RS America.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

You Am I posted:

Not to get into gun control and Americans, etc, but that's loving horrible that you need to do active shooter drills.

Try this: Toddlers in my son's daycare are given lollipops during drills at school, so they don't cry and give away their hiding places to hypothetical gunmen.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's a fairly standard US corporate thing now too. We go through a whole 'assess escape barricade defend" spiel before any event when 10 or more people are present.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus christ.... The last semi mandatory training session we got was why everyone should get a flu jab because how close we work with the public!

Large events for us start with a "This is where the fire exit is, and we acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we meet today..."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ferremit posted:

Jesus christ.... The last semi mandatory training session we got was why everyone should get a flu jab because how close we work with the public!

Large events for us start with a "This is where the fire exit is, and we acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we meet today..."

Yeah, the whole active shooter thing is part of the 5 minute "in the event of a fire...earthquake...severe weather" intro along with "here are where the restrooms and break rooms are" that we are expected to give.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Adiabatic posted:

I have not driven one. I really really very want to drive one but nobody in their right mind would let me unless I were very serious I imagine.

you need to find a friend, i drove a buddy's kind of ratty G series and it was glorious even if the car stalled every time you stopped completely.

I was always kind of a Porsche hater but after that I understood better.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, the whole active shooter thing is part of the 5 minute "in the event of a fire...earthquake...severe weather" intro along with "here are where the restrooms and break rooms are" that we are expected to give.

Yeah, it's on our safety briefing for new people on site as well. Hasn't ever come up, but after people tried to shoot up YouTube a lot of tech companies picked it up.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I feel like you haven't really made it as a true American institution until some fevered ego rakes your building with small arms fire at least once every few years.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Remind me not to ever get hurt while hiking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKZCy41g5w

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Meh, you can get killed minding your own business on the road, too. (ridiculous rear end in a top hat driver obliterating traffic at about 2:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRxup0WhMo

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

Why in the gently caress am I looking at Porsches?

Adiabatic posted:

I should clarify air-cooled 911s.

Find a green one that's on the Sockington scale, change username to NumbersMatching911, attempt to turbocharge it using scrap metal and found objects.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had an interesting argument with my boss today. He claims that GM's 3800 series engine is overall more reliable than the AMC 4.0 used in Cherokees and Wranglers. Numbers for 'reliability' are difficult to find for something like that but he did work for years designing pistons and testing engines, including for the 3800.

Is there any data to support either argument that isn't in some proprietary archives or something?

meatpimp posted:

Meh, you can get killed minding your own business on the road, too. (ridiculous rear end in a top hat driver obliterating traffic at about 2:15)

JESUS loving CHRIST

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 5, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems impossible to prove. First you have to define what components and what constitutes reliability - are we talking about just engine internals, or does Chrysler's poo poo engine management system count against the 4.0?

The easiest metric would be figuring out what percentage of vehicles built with 3800s are still on the road, versus the percentage of vehicles built with 4.0s. But that's going to take into account a lot more than just the engine, and I'd expect that metric to heavily favor Jeep because the number of people keeping Jeeps running out of desire instead of necessity is much larger than the number of people keeping 3800s on the road.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

moar random old newpaper clippings:

Print out for coloring:

Vauxhall North America:

1970:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

CornHolio posted:

I had an interesting argument with my boss today. He claims that GM's 3800 series engine is overall more reliable than the AMC 4.0 used in Cherokees and Wranglers. Numbers for 'reliability' are difficult to find for something like that but he did work for years designing pistons and testing engines, including for the 3800.

Is there any data to support either argument that isn't in some proprietary archives or something?

You can't just agree that they're both really reliable?

Seems like trying to figure out which cracker is the "most crispy".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CornHolio posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST

Cripes, I can't even tell what kind of car that really smashed up one is.

Think it's safe to assume the fatality was in that one.
e: well gently caress, what's left of her is visible briefly

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 5, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

I think it was a Volvo. But there's only so much "safety" you can have with a full sized pickup doing 70 over your speed hitting you from the rear with no braking. :(

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It was a Nissan Altima, and it killed the driver. That is some final destination poo poo, even on the off chance she happened to look in her mirror and see the truck, she would have had almost no time to react.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

I’m hosed because that poo poo made me laugh, but I wonder what it was like? I mean how long could you stay conscious at that spin velocity and what the gently caress is going through your head as you just start spinning faster and faster knowing that you are strapped in and can’t do anything about it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

It was a Nissan Altima, and it killed the driver. That is some final destination poo poo, even on the off chance she happened to look in her mirror and see the truck, she would have had almost no time to react.

Wow, I saw the fender wrapping up into the A-pillar and thought Volvo. It was one of the few identifiable pieces of bodywork left.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I noticed a Nissan centercap on a wheel in a news article about it. The headlight was saying Altima or Volvo before I saw that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

I'll admit I was watching for a body, but I didn't see anything that was identifiable as a body, unless that weird shape in the backseat-ish area of the car was her.

edit: Must be, I think I can see a hand and a belt and a neck. No, uh, nothing above the neck though.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 5, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I hope that rear end in a top hat rots in prison for the rest of his life

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He apparently has a pretty colorful criminal history.

CornHolio posted:

I'll admit I was watching for a body, but I didn't see anything that was identifiable as a body, unless that weird shape in the backseat-ish area of the car was her.

edit: Must be, I think I can see a hand and a belt and a neck. No, uh, nothing above the neck though.

Yuuuup.

Several of the comments mention the same thing and even where to look.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

He apparently has a pretty colorful criminal history.

Yuuuup.

Several of the comments mention the same thing and even where to look.

Dude it really loving bothers me that one minute that's a person, somebody with family, ambitions, needs...and literally a few frames later it's a chunk of meat.

Life and death are loving weird.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

Mother of God. W... where is/are the occupant(s) of the silver car? That... just wow.
Is that the rear end in a top hat trying to walk away on the other side of the barrier and collapsing @ 2:50?
That's the whole top of the silver car wadded up in front of the truck isn't it?

STR posted:

Ah. Yeah, I see it. Jesus.

news article posted:

The driver of the Silverado, 25-year-old Javier Caldera, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs, the Highway Patrol said in a statement. The resident of Auburn, Washington, was uninjured in the crash.

Holy poo poo. If there was any justice, he would have been in a little sedan smashing into a giant pickup instead. gently caress that guy.

edit: oh, wow - another car launched into the parking garage off the highway.
edit again: yeah, you can see the car that went into the building shooting off ot the right after impact @ about 2:27.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 5, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CornHolio posted:

Dude it really loving bothers me that one minute that's a person, somebody with family, ambitions, needs...and literally a few frames later it's a chunk of meat.

True that. And through no fault of their own - just in the wrong place at the wrong time, with respect to their involvement.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo. If there was any justice, he would have been in a little sedan smashing into a giant pickup instead. gently caress that guy.

That's how it always seems to go in drunk driver crashes. :(

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

CornHolio posted:

Yeah I think about that a lot too, and you can swing any way you want with it philosophically. Maybe nothing matters. Maybe everything matters. Probably somewhere in between, like most things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just noticed a large tree had fallen in the back yard, right in the spot where I was working this week.

That's a hint to take a break if I ever seen one.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

This fucker is getting 25 years minimum in state prison. RIP that innocent driver, jesus loving christ.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a Jeep Cherokee with 2685 miles on it this week as a rental. Any guesses on how many things are already broken?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The missus' sister bought a "certified" 2018 former rental Corolla with 25k on it. The problem was a basketball sized hole where the spare tire should have been

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm googling "what does a blinking odometer mean"

I fully expect this car to end up towed back to the airport at some point this week.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Modus Man posted:

I’m hosed because that poo poo made me laugh, but I wonder what it was like? I mean how long could you stay conscious at that spin velocity and what the gently caress is going through your head as you just start spinning faster and faster knowing that you are strapped in and can’t do anything about it?

And on top of that imagine being 74 years old. It looks funny as hell but at the same time you know it's a loving nightmare for that poor woman. Good thing she didn't asphyxiate on her own vomit, I sure as hell would have puked and choked to death in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And on top of that imagine being 74 years old. It looks funny as hell but at the same time you know it's a loving nightmare for that poor woman. Good thing she didn't asphyxiate on her own vomit, I sure as hell would have puked and choked to death in that situation.

Nah, inertia would have propelled it straight out, no chance to aspirate.

... until 360 degrees later when you ran back into it.