Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hell yeah, our Office Manager got canned last night. GM thought everyone else was gone and the Controller didn't know what was going on before she stepped out, so it was just myself and a co-worker in here alone while a manager from a different department watched over her shoulder while she took over 20 minutes to pack the ungodly amount of poo poo on and in her desk up. Real awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Nice. I got to pack my desk once at 10 AM on a Tuesday in front of the entire cube farm. HR manager standing right on my rear end the whole time. The real awkward part was that it was her first day. I have a lot of personal tools and books so it was 3 trips to my car.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The best Ferrari Spyder is the Daytona Spyder :colbert:

Never heard about the Testarossa Spyder so I looked it up and holy poo poo

https://www.motor1.com/news/186060/meet-only-ferrari-testarossa-spider/

How in the gently caress?

I really hope someone here knows.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not sure if it's fully automatic, but if it's a semi-auto with a manual shift but no clutch, I'd assume it's some kind of solenoid actuation with a sensor on the shifter?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Curb weight for a 2013 Silverado 1500 (which is roughly what that truck appeared to be) is: 4,460 to 5,487 lbs. Probably safe to assume 4460 is if you get the (pretty much never optioned) 4.3 V6 (I didn't even know that was still an option on those, but safe to say that's probably only an option for fleet models).

So a bit more than 2 tons, possibly close to 3 tons, empty. I'm not positive on the year, but it looks like a 1500, and I think that's an 06-13.

That's a 2500HD, at least. Look at the wheels and the big-rear end diesel exhaust pipe. 8 lugs - I can see at least 5 lug nuts just from the angle viewed. So closer to 6K pounds.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Maybe it's just automatic all the time and the button just moves the clutch pedal, which never actually does anything.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The best Ferrari Spyder is the Daytona Spyder :colbert:

Never heard about the Testarossa Spyder so I looked it up and holy poo poo

https://www.motor1.com/news/186060/meet-only-ferrari-testarossa-spider/

How in the gently caress?

Seems like a hybrid of an SMG transmission and a manual, which isn't too complex if you're looking at BMW's early setup -- the E46 M3 had the same gearbox whether it was SMG or manual. So you can swap to either version. Some smart guy at Ferrari came up with a way to switch back-and-forth.

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-own-a-bmw-e46-m3-with-a-proper-manual-for-next-t-1747802451

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

Favourite that I've driven is a 458 Speciale for sure. The 488 is a faster, more capable car, but the power delivery of the turbo motor is a bit lazy imo. Too much low rpm torque! 458s still encourage you to rev the engine a bit more

Yeah, 355s are engine out for cambelts which is every 3 years. On a 360 you do it by taking the seats and rear bulkhead out and sit cramped up in the car. I'm not sure which is worse lol

Livin the life my dude.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Cheap to maintain, reliable as hell, nice to drive even as a daily but it isn't a Porsche. There's one local with 350k+ miles on it which sees track days on a regular basis as well as being the guys daily. He loves it and hasn't had any issues. I almost got one but went with the M3 instead. That said air cooled 911's have a very distinct sound and feel that is near impossible to find anywhere else.

YOU AREN'T HELPING

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just couldn't loving wake up, i thought i slept for like 20 hours, but when i got up and looked outside it was snowing.

How long was i out? :ohdear:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Part 2 of BOM's Escargot project is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0bHi-JFiQ

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

T-Square posted:

Hell yeah, our Office Manager got canned last night. GM thought everyone else was gone and the Controller didn't know what was going on before she stepped out, so it was just myself and a co-worker in here alone while a manager from a different department watched over her shoulder while she took over 20 minutes to pack the ungodly amount of poo poo on and in her desk up. Real awkward.

God help me if I get canned. I think it might involve multiple trips with my truck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dagen H posted:

Part 2 of BOM's Escargot project is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0bHi-JFiQ
I was 8% low on the guess-the-engine-weight game.

Love the seatbelt mounting location choice...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

First day of work went well aside from me being dead tired. Have 32 hours for next week already, plus 4 hours tomorrow for a little bit of training. Except during orientation they did the typical "so here's the location organizational structure.. here's the dept managers, here's the store management". With head shots.

The head honcho of the store? His name sounded familiar, but he has a super common name. Then I saw the picture.

Looked him up on LinkedIn to confirm. Yup, I knew him growing up. I have no idea how that's gonna play out. I'm sure he'll remember my name whenever we finally run into each other, but we were never on bad terms of any kind (we both ran dialup BBSs in our hometown, he was my cosysop at one point I think too). I just don't know what kind of corporate crap might come into play here. Hopefully none, we lost touch after I moved over 20 years ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 8, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just don't gently caress him, that never goes down well with HR. Good luck!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah already tried barking up that tree when I was 16 :stare:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Try this: Toddlers in my son's daycare are given lollipops during drills at school, so they don't cry and give away their hiding places to hypothetical gunmen.

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

Yeah.

:911:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah it's just a lollipop but they're only toddlers. We really should wait until at least 6th grade to give them guns during active shooter drills.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I can't hear you over the wicked semi auto return fire I'm putting on this A-10 Warthog that's currently annihilating my position, loving government overreach, but I think me and the militia have this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

Yeah it's just a lollipop but they're only toddlers. We really should wait until at least 6th grade to give them guns during active shooter drills.

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a toddler with a gun.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Red dirt country. It’s good for the soul

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the lungs probably not so much. The suspension, definitely not.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

STR posted:

First day of work went well aside from me being dead tired. Have 32 hours for next week already, plus 4 hours tomorrow for a little bit of training. Except during orientation they did the typical "so here's the location organizational structure.. here's the dept managers, here's the store management". With head shots.

The head honcho of the store? His name sounded familiar, but he has a super common name. Then I saw the picture.

Looked him up on LinkedIn to confirm. Yup, I knew him growing up. I have no idea how that's gonna play out. I'm sure he'll remember my name whenever we finally run into each other, but we were never on bad terms of any kind (we both ran dialup BBSs in our hometown, he was my cosysop at one point I think too). I just don't know what kind of corporate crap might come into play here. Hopefully none, we lost touch after I moved over 20 years ago.

Unless you're applying for something with security clearance and didn't disclose it or something, or you're completely and totally unqualified and only got the job due to pre-existing connection, nobody cares, don't worry about it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ferremit posted:

Red dirt country. It’s good for the soul

Yeesh, no thanks man. I like seeing some greenery in my environment, that looks like the surface of mars.

Plus that dirt must get everywhere, like up your rear end crack everywhere.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Challenge time AI!

I'm trying to fix the Water Injection in my Saab. Its got a 1980 Saab original optional equipment kit fitted, so is very primitive.

Here are the instructions (in swedish) if anybody wants some bedtime reading! - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ow1mwjfwp3jhf71/Vatteninsprutning_Saab_99_900_text.pdf?dl=0

1) It has a timer relay with the number Hella 5HE 003 984-01. It doesn't seem to work (I think a lot of the solder joints have separated from the board) and I cant find any details on this part number. Can anybody else?
From the wiring diagram this is wired like a normal 4 pin automotive relay but is only supposed to run for a short while (I'd guess 3-10 secs). It primes the water injection line.
If i cant buy the correct relay (likely) I can find adjustable ones - just would be nice to know what the correct time should be.

2) The nozzle was blocked (pictured above). I have managed to unblock it slightly but it doesn't squirt, just drips slowly. It looks pretty much like a screen washer nozzle ( it uses a windscreen washer reservoir and pump to move the water so this would be about right!). it injects pre-turbo so I cant imagine the spray pattern is critical.
Any ideas where I can buy a generic nozzle that will go into a 6mm hole and on 6mm hose and will spray at about 0.3-0.5 bar?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
That just looks like an elbow piece with a one way valve in it

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Lord Stimperor posted:

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

Yup.

And he goes to a Jewish daycare, which shouldn't matter but naturally now the US is a rising hotbed of neonazis and other antisemitic bigotry.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tomarse posted:

Challenge time AI!

I like challenges. What i've found so far.

Your relay is saab part 137 000 089, haven't found anything for it yet
the elbow is a pressure valve, saab part number 85 73 669 right here https://www.amazon.ca/MTC-2048-85-73-669-Washer-Sameer/dp/B00BDVNOW6

english instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EN8OgXMGWcFchBiu9BjadPRgFIB42eBN/view?usp=sharing

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 8, 2019

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

That just looks like an elbow piece with a one way valve in it

Nice one! Thanks - found something that looks exactly the same on ebay as a one way valve! - https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Windscreen-Washer-Non-Return-Valve-Elbow-Joint-Angled-90-Classic-Car-Van/650161860?iid=302562351847

its a "trykventil" in the instructions which google translate says is a 'pressure valve'. I guess that one way valve would fit the definition of a 'pressure valve'

Powershift posted:

I like challenges. What i've found so far.

Your relay is saab part 137 000 089, haven't found anything for it yet
the elbow is a pressure valve, saab part number 85 73 669 right here https://www.amazon.ca/MTC-2048-85-73-669-Washer-Sameer/dp/B00BDVNOW6

english instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EN8OgXMGWcFchBiu9BjadPRgFIB42eBN/view?usp=sharing

Excellent work :). I have a print out of those instructions (minus the first 2 pages) but couldn't find a PDF of them.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 8, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Can you bench test the relay?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Combo Radwood and 24 hours of Lemons today at NJMP. I wish I could have gotten pictures of all the cars but I was rooooasted in the sun after 4 hours. Some cool poo poo!

Also, not my pic, but this Koenig Porsche was badasssss:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Handful of pics from lemons, but most of the cool stuff was out on the track all day:

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Holy hell it's beautiful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

Toddlers

Active shooter drills

Honestly, it's the same as tornado drills, or the old nuclear drills.

The chances of a kid ever needing it are statistically extremely slim. However it improves their chances of survival vastly in the tiny, tiny edge case that it is needed, so it's worth doing if you're an organization that's in loco parentis like a school. Same as any responsible parent probably teaches their kids where to go if a fire breaks out at home, or in a tornado.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Powershift posted:

Can you bench test the relay?

Yes, I have opened it up (that's just the empty casing in the photo) If I put 12v across 15 and 31 with the board out of the case nothing happens and nothing moves.

Looking at the board all the components look to be in good condition however all the traces and most of the components have separated from the board slightly so I assume something is not making contact properly. I'll get a photo tomorrow.

Both the pressure sensors, the pump and tank level gauge all test as OK.

This is written on the top of the case. Its served its time..

(when I bought the car back in around 2007 it came in a non running state with pistons and a cylinder head both written off by detonation and the boost set much higher than stock)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

So much :awesome: in this post

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mekilljoydammit posted:

Unless you're applying for something with security clearance and didn't disclose it or something, or you're completely and totally unqualified and only got the job due to pre-existing connection, nobody cares, don't worry about it.

It's a (shockingly well paying) overnight job in a retail store, and I have enough retail experience that they basically handwaved me through the interview process. Not exactly anything that requires a clearance. They'll do a credit check if I ever move into a management position or a position handling more than a single register's worth of money, that's about as far as it goes. He and I haven't talked since I left our hometown, and AFAIK he has no idea I work there yet.

Today was supposed to be power equipment training day. That took all of 10 minutes instead of a couple of hours, since I've used everything before at another retailer, just never actually got certified or trained properly. The equipment is just bigger versions of everything I've used before, so it was proving I know how to use everything safely and getting used to the controls (i.e. don't hit the sprinkler or camera directly above where the forklift usually sits), some pencil whipping and a "so how late do you want to stay today? I got hours to burn if you want them." So I wound up working day shift. Pretty much thrown to the wolves, but the customer mobile app lets you look up where specific items are in the store. I've also been a regular customer at this specific store for 10 months now, so I know the layout fairly well.

My legs and feet are killing me though. Gonna need to get some new shoes, get used to being on my feet all day again, and get used to climbing ladders constantly again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I just guided a friend through the build of a new video editing PC. He probably dropped 2K on this rig, it's awesome.

That said I've never built a system with the newer Intel sockets (always been a AMD guy, and my current Intel computer I purchased pre-built) and holy gently caress what a needlessly complex mounting system for the CPU fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The 4 screws through the board setup? My last AMD had that too (I wanna say an Athlon 64 X2 5200+), though it also had the tabs on the socket (pretty sure all AMD stuff has the same, or similar, 4 hole mounting method now?). I've broken those tabs off before when using beefy copper heatsinks with those old screamer 7000 RPM Delta fans.

It's also a really solid mounting system that doesn't rely on the CPU socket, and spreads the weight out a lot better.

I have a pretty beefy Cooler Master copper heatpipe + aluminum finned cooler with a 120mm fan, and the board holds it fine.

It's usually only a complex mounting setup if you get a heavy cooler that uses a bracket on the backside of the board... and forget to put the bracket on before putting the board in the case (my cooler is one of these, but my case has a cutout that allows access to that part of the board). The OEM Intel cooler just has plastic quarter turn things that pop through, though it's laughably terrible if you do anything that stresses the CPU (also, loud).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 9, 2019