Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rhyno posted:

This ended up being the most cost effective solution. Scored two blanks for $39 shipped.

I hope that they’re literal blanks with no stud holes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus christ.... The last semi mandatory training session we got was why everyone should get a flu jab because how close we work with the public!

Large events for us start with a "This is where the fire exit is, and we acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we meet today..."

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Red dirt country. It’s good for the soul

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeesh, no thanks man. I like seeing some greenery in my environment, that looks like the surface of mars.

Plus that dirt must get everywhere, like up your rear end crack everywhere.

We're camped under a tree! Its silver but its still a tree!

And its not that bad actually. Mud is way, way worse. You actually end up feeling covered in gack from the combo of wood smoke from the fire and sweat.

Also, I got a new toy and did a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dQLXrXkA0

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Dont you love it when you pull something apart and then 6 weeks later try to put it back together and find a part missing?

Im rebuilding a transfer case, cannot find the rear output dust deflector anywhere. And of COURSE, it goes in BEFORE you press the rear output shaft in. So now I get to wait half a week for a $10 part from the dealership parts department.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I recon that Cletus McFarland is on his way up to there as part of Rocky Mountain race week with both the turbo corvettes. Be interesting to see how a sea level ~1500hp twin turbo car that runs low 8’s/ high 7’s does at that altitude

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

meatpimp posted:

drat nice times at altitude.

That's one of the best YT channels right now. Those guys are just clean AI-ers. I hope they continue on the path they're on now, but I know they're going to get a ton of money dumped on them and the channel will go to poo poo, as has happened to so many other YT channels.

They’re genuinely good, fun entertaining guys. Some of the jokes they come up with just about make me wet myself laughing- the whole “tuning giraffe” bit and trying to drive across the pond in the Vitara are just hilarious. And when people kept sending them food and Mountain Dew....

I’m hoping they don’t go the same way other channels do- they’re obviously getting some serious support and money thrown at them just based on the sheer volume of parts they’re fitting from Texas speed and RPM transmissions (that glide setup for the C6 is about $15K apparently) but it doesn’t seem to have changed what they’re doing. It’s kinda the top gear/grand tour formula- three really good friends doing what they enjoy doing.

Deboss garage is another one. He’s had a tonne of support thrown at him since he started the Quatro Debocho build and got the GTO nearly running but it doesn’t seem to have changed what he is and what he does

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive replaced a clutch in a tractor. I would rather nailgun my nuts to a wall than do that again, yet Deboss makes it seem like an enjoyable experience!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I’ve got close to $8k worth of “free” power equipment for way under $1k investment from fixing non running poo poo. All stihl gear too

MS361 chainsaw- did a big end bearing, stihl quoted $900 to repair so it got binned. Crankshaft off eBay was $72

Got a literal ute load of broken brush cutters. Some with dead motors, some with dead shafts, some with dead heads, some with a combo. Playing legos got me an FS350, FS420 and FS460 out of that pile!

BR600 backpack blower- stuffed carby and fuel line and a muffler that was shedding poo poo internally and forever clogging the spark arrester. Fixed that with parts from one that dropped a valve.

MS660 magnum. Got run with straight fuel, considered not an economic repair at the stihl shop. Back to eBay, $200 later and now it’s a 98cc big bore monster of a chainsaw!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Day 3 of some kind of stomach/digestive tract issue. Not sure if its my mushroom allergy, its got all the right symptoms, but i cannot narrow down when I would have been exposed to it at all.

My arse has been resembling Mount Doom Post frodo's visit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

blk posted:

Holy crap the Bentley in Good Omens might finally push me over the edge into becoming a card carrying member of the Church of Satan

Every part of Good Omens is fantastic, but the Bentley is definitely a standout. I binged watched the entire thing last night

There’s one for sale in Australia. It’s AU$275,000...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well today sucked.

Had to cut down some big dead tree stumps in an exhibit at work today. Theres been an exhibit around these trees for the last.... 30-40 years?

They were BIG trees, so I brought in the rescued and rebuilt MS660 with the 25" bar to do the work, cos part of the condition of me getting the wreckage was being willing to take it to work if needed.

Third cut, hit a piece of flat bar that had been nailed to the tree 20 years ago and consumed. Wrote off one of my two 25" chains.

Seven cuts in, the saw starts to bog down and then just dies, wont start and its SCORCHING hot.

Turns out the bolts that hold the cylinder down had backed out slightly and allowed air to leak in between the cylinder and crank case and leaned the motor right the gently caress out.

RIP 660 piston and jug.

So now I get to rebuild the thing. AGAIN. And to finish the job I had to stick the 25" bar on the poor little MS361 and send it. Hit nails and bolts and other poo poo probably a dozen or so times, and the core of the log was totally rotten so the bar got a hammering too. I'd say all up im now in for a total top end replacement, two new chains and a new bar. Works promised to talk bout it after new financial year comes and settles down. But yeah, Didnt go to plan at all today.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I have certainly never welded a foot or so of wire to my welding table, ever, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.

I hung the MIG gun up at work on monday and didnt realise that it had triggered off until nearly a meter of wire curled out of it and touched the bench.

Welder is a 305A 3 phase unit that was set to about 200A welding 7mm universal beams in single pass. That made a flash and a half.

Also finished the re-perching job at work that destroyed my chainsaw

The long handled spade gives a nice sense of scale. For reference, that roof on the enclosure is 3M high!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Missus got called on Friday and got told that her school had decided to withdraw the offer of contract for next semester because “she wasn’t a good fit with the school...”

Funny that she’s had no actually communication bout her performance, no formal performance management and review and had only just received her timetable for next term and only had a 0.5 worth of teaching load for a 0.9 contracted position.... it stinks of the school making a mistake with staffing levels and trying to save face by making it her fault. She’s going to take it up with the union but they’ve given her 2 weeks in lieu and paying out her annual leave but after that our household income gets halved.

This isn’t gonna be fun until she finds a new job... my income alone won’t pay the mortgage and bills and living costs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

slidebite posted:

That's too bad man.

Social media posts she's made?

She used to work for the dept of defence in their research arm and is still bound under the official secrets act. Her social media presence is best described as “Cat Memes”

The school hired on two teachers, one being the better half, last term, both at 0.5 FTE. They both got extended this coming semester at the time at 0.9 FTE.

Except when they both got their timetables they didn’t even have enough classes allocated to meet a 0.5 FTE load.

It’s a $25K a year fee private school and our economy is on the verge of collapse here in Aus, so what it smells like is a school that’s badly managed it’s staffing levels because people are pulling their kids out of private school and putting them back into pubic for cost reasons (and gov figures just released show an 8% increase in public school enrolments to back that up) and instead of admitting that they’re incompetent and can’t manage their staff they’re trying to save face and make it look like it’s a problem with her and that’s why she’s not being extended