Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know how it's June in AZ and we still aren't hitting consistent 100+ degree days yet.

I'm not melting in TX yet, but I heard Cicadas in the trees the other night, so it's summer as far as I'm concerned.
It has been humid as hell, though, and has rained like every week. A lot. Like "Severe Thunderstorm Warning" a lot.

As far as long-distance driving, longest I've done is ferry an off-lease car back to Dallas, TX from Phoenix, AZ. They flew me out, and I drove a '90s Olds Cutlass Ciera a little over 1,000 miles. Took me about 20 hours. I wasn't hurrying, I stopped at a rest stop in New Mexico to sleep (started driving at about 5 PM Friday, after work and after flying out to Phoenix), and the national speed limit was still 55 at the time. I found out it had a cassette deck, so I took my big organized of cassettes with me to keep me company.

Nebakenezzer posted:

A game: one car via magic

So here is the ad for a local dealer out of a Canadian 1985 newspaper that a genie shows you. The genie (it's complecated) says he will go back in time and deliver you the car you want to buy, according to these rules:

1. You can buy one car
2. You are buying it sight unseen
3. You have to pay the asking price (the genie finds bargaining tedious)
4. The asking price will be transmuted to the 2019 value via inflation (the genie probably could get around this, but apparently this is a much bigger ask than time travel and returning car-sized objects to the present)

So, which one car would you buy?

None. They are all Canadian, and therefore contain rust. I *might* pay the 1985 price *without* inflation on a few. The '68 Dart would probably be worth the inflation price, and the VW van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Forgot to note: my 25-year-old JL Audio 10W-whatever sub finally poo poo itself:

Had the trunk open getting out the trailer ball mount and wiring, and noticed it buzzing at a volume it shouldn't be buzzing at.
Bummer. Guess we pushed it too hard. Frankly, I was surprised it didn't disintegrate immediately when I pulled it out of storage.
Now I need to find another 10" or 12" sub that like 1.5 cu.ft. Or just build that AutoTuba folded horn thing if it'll fit back there.

edit: It still sounds surprisingly good as long as you don't turn it up to "stun".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Meh, you can get killed minding your own business on the road, too. (ridiculous rear end in a top hat driver obliterating traffic at about 2:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRxup0WhMo

Mother of God. W... where is/are the occupant(s) of the silver car? That... just wow.
Is that the rear end in a top hat trying to walk away on the other side of the barrier and collapsing @ 2:50?
That's the whole top of the silver car wadded up in front of the truck isn't it?

STR posted:

Cripes, I can't even tell what kind of car that really smashed up one is.

Think it's safe to assume the fatality was in that one.
e: well gently caress, what's left of her is visible briefly

Ah. Yeah, I see it. Jesus.

news article posted:

The driver of the Silverado, 25-year-old Javier Caldera, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs, the Highway Patrol said in a statement. The resident of Auburn, Washington, was uninjured in the crash.

Holy poo poo. If there was any justice, he would have been in a little sedan smashing into a giant pickup instead. gently caress that guy.

edit: oh, wow - another car launched into the parking garage off the highway.
edit again: yeah, you can see the car that went into the building shooting off ot the right after impact @ about 2:27.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 5, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Dude it really loving bothers me that one minute that's a person, somebody with family, ambitions, needs...and literally a few frames later it's a chunk of meat.

Life and death are loving weird.

True that. And through no fault of their own - just in the wrong place at the wrong time, with respect to their involvement.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Modus Man posted:

I wish I knew! I’ve got an 03 suburban that gets up to 40k miles on the front brakes, 25k miles on the outside rear pads, and 10-15k miles on the inside rear pads. I’ve replaced the entire braking system over the years multiple times and nothing has changed its behavior. It drives and brakes fine so I just deal with it.

Sounds like the brake bias is set a bit to the rear on yours, or the pads are slightly undersized for the application. If they’re using the same calipers and pads as the pickups, I could see that happening with more weight in the rear of a ‘Burb.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Curb weight for a 2013 Silverado 1500 (which is roughly what that truck appeared to be) is: 4,460 to 5,487 lbs. Probably safe to assume 4460 is if you get the (pretty much never optioned) 4.3 V6 (I didn't even know that was still an option on those, but safe to say that's probably only an option for fleet models).

So a bit more than 2 tons, possibly close to 3 tons, empty. I'm not positive on the year, but it looks like a 1500, and I think that's an 06-13.

That's a 2500HD, at least. Look at the wheels and the big-rear end diesel exhaust pipe. 8 lugs - I can see at least 5 lug nuts just from the angle viewed. So closer to 6K pounds.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sure is fun to laugh at the dumb poo poo hypermilers attach to their car in the name of "aerodynamics" though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Remember the american Taxi remake with Jimmy Fallon and QUeen Latifa.

LoL

The best thing to come out of that was a body kit for Crown Vics It's a terrible body kit.

Dang it. I still haven't bought the Hot Wheels expansion for FH3.

fake edit:
Looks like the FH community isn't terrifically happy about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xebnocqoo1A

edit:
This weekend my shop vac has apparently poo poo itself:

Video. Click to play on Imgur.

The bushings have been making that noise that lets you know the clearances are a bit loose for a while now, when it spins down (you know, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -BRRRRT!) Now it does that whil running, and the motor noticeably slows. then it started smoking.
Well, hey. Anyone know if you can replace bushings in a motor this cheap (and why don't they use sealed bearings or something?)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sgt Fox posted:

Last shop vac I had that was making that sort of noise was able to be fixed by cleaning and greasing. I used a syringe and needle to inject some new grease into the sealed bearing (you could also carefully pop the seal off and then clean with brakeclean too). For the bushings, I heated them with a torch until they started to sweat, and soaked them in some SAE30/STP from my old assembly lube oil can. Heating the bush allows the old oil to burn out, opening up pores for new oil to soak in.

Worth a try. I'll see what's really in there when I open up the motor.
It's not the end of the world if it's toast - I've gotten at least 5 if not 10 years out of the thing, and it was a gift to begin with. I'm a "fixer" though, and I 'd hate to chuck it just because of something simple like bearings.

Ferremit posted:

We're camped under a tree! Its silver but its still a tree!

And its not that bad actually. Mud is way, way worse. You actually end up feeling covered in gack from the combo of wood smoke from the fire and sweat.

Also, I got a new toy and did a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dQLXrXkA0

Oh, hey, I think I've been there in Forza Horizon 3 :v:
Or, at least, the very... compact version of it and Australia in FH3.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Gasoline is not as flammable as you'd think, given the time when one of the lines on my C10's fuel pump came loose and started spraying a shitload of fuel onto the exhaust and I was not immediately roasted to a crisp.

It probably helped that I'd just started the truck so the exhaust was still pretty cold.

Seconding this - hose clamp on the outlet of the mechanical fuel pump on my AE86 came loose. The fuel pump lives right above the exhaust on that car. No death, despite copious gasoline.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Openopenopenopenopenopen

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I feel like it was a long time coming. I wish I could show you guys some of the insane projects the company is working on. I'm just a cog in the machine but ay time stuff we work on goes the distance the higher ups give us company wide recognition.

This is a clear indication that your company will fail, because they clearly care more about their employees that shareholder value. I mean, just LOL if you aren't using up your workers like the term "Human Resources" implies.
Congratulations for working at a company that isn't a nevil shithole.

Geoj posted:

Work chat: I'm getting laid off for three weeks along with 26 others.

I've been working for a metal fabrication "startup" (any time upper management addresses everyone they're "a month or two away from full production") since last April. They're not telling anyone much, but my theory is the parent company has finally admitted that they've bitten off more than they can chew and are throwing in the towel two years early. The original plan was for them to operate the facility for 2-3 years and then pass it off to Worthington Industries (whom they're partnered with), but I don't think they can attract outside business without the Worthington name.

From the fragments I've placed together it sounds like when (if) I return in early July Worthington will be in the process of taking over the operation, which leaves me in limbo. I've been a one-man IT department for the past ~14 months, but I'm not sure if they'll want to keep an onsite support person here as they have two staffed facilities within 30 miles and there's only about 20 people here who use computers regularly.

I'd love to get my foot in the door at a company like Worthington, but this uncertainty is eating me alive.

No use worrying about it until it happens, I guess (and if you can figure out how to do that, let me know.)
In any case, it's highly likely us computer-touchers will always have a job, even if it doesn't always pay the best, even when everything moves to the butt cloud (any day now!)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The old guard all think they deserve double pay and are under some delusion that you can go across town and make way more money but we're among the top paid for our type of work in the NE corner of the state. And yeah, the humanitarian side sure doesn't hurt.

poo poo, that's Boomers everywhere - thinking employment opportunities are the same as they were when they were 20-somethings. Then they don't understand why ~*millenials*~ don't just buy a house and a new car and stuff, and are obviously destroying the American way of life by not doing so. Yeah, jackass, it's because your generation hosed everything up, depressed wages, and drove costs up. They can't *afford* to live like you did. *I* can't afford most of that poo poo, and I'm 49. It ain't Millenials choosing not to be well-off or slacking.

edit: Sorry, that may have triggered me a tad. Also assumed Boomers, which may be incorrect, given that you didn't actually say that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It is so weird to enjoy working.

The guy I had friction with a while back? I'm his mentor in the company consoling program. Dude's got a lot of demons and I guess having somebody lose their poo poo on you and then sorting it out in a civil manner helped him realize that he wanted someone to help him. So I keep an eye out for him to go crazy and advise him to go see the shrink. It's weird.

Weird, but definitely healthier. I wish more companies, or, really, the healthcare racket industry cared more about mental health, instead of stigmatizing it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hah, after seeing what happened to the IT team of one the companies I know of that went full cloud... they had to put on MORE staff.

Well, yeah, but you're not thinking with your C-level rear end brain.
(Outsourcing works out about the same way.)

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Yeah, my girlfriend is black. I'd have to fight basically all of yalls families if they spouted off that racist poo poo in my face. We as a country should be better than that.

Yeah we do.
I'm the whitest white boy ever (DNA test says pretty much 100% European), and I get angry with myself when my brain uses certain words that were common in my childhood - not necessarily form family, but common. I turn 50 this year, so the math is easy on this one. I don't want to even *think* those words, but there they are. I hate it (and my brain, sometimes.) I don't want to be like all the racist/homophobic assholes floating around right now, in any way, shape, or form.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Nope. If you were hired for nights (and it's in writing), a day shift should be after discussion only, potentially treated like OT/holiday with a pay differential. If someone were hired with a written stipulation of dayshift only, no way an employer could casually throw in a night shift without the employee rightfully raising a huge stink, and the same should go with this.

IT's probably just a mistake, but yeah, even here in TX that poo poo is a no-go. There are mandated minimum time-between-shifts as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sgt Fox nailed it regarding my Shop-vac.
Got it apart. Found very little if any play in the shaft/bearing, so just cleaned up around the bushing and oiled it with some Amsoil heavy oil I've had a little bit left of for years.
It runs fine now with no untoward noises while running or spinning down.

Took the opportunity to clean all the internal filters and as much dirt and junk as I could out of the power unit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

:eyepop: sniper

I always used the local Lens Crafters and had pretty good RXs. Work was going to get me some prescription Z87s and the opthalmologist they sent me to changed it up like crazy and the glasses I got were unusable. I went back and they told me I was wrong.

My nest exam was my current Dr that performed PRK and the results of the pre surgery exam were just a bit worse than my ~5 year old lens crafter RX. The RX that I got on those safety glasses was completely aberrant

Amazing how you are the one wearing the glasses and unable to see, yet were "wrong". Uh, no.
Thankfully, modern optometrists have a lot of tools to let them skip some steps. Mine has a machine that can set a base prescription and map the contours of the surface before they even get started. Usually only takes a few iterations of "better or worse" on the lens machine to get it dialed in.
Thankfully, I don't have to wear glasses any more, except for close-in work, and never will again (cataract lens replacements.) I put in my time - I wore glasses from 3rd grade to 48 years old.

MomJeans420 posted:

I finally opened my box of rotors from amazon that amazon said couldn't be delivered, and it contained a pack of 5 of the same gasket for Harleys along with my rotors :iiam:

Mis-picks can be entertaining. I sometimes wonder what goes on in those warehouses.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Guess it's a good thing I got the grocery store job. Main delivery gig got yanked out from under me (and my usual fallback one announced they're ceasing operations next week).

I spent 15 years (off and on) in food service; I'm never rude to restaurant employees, retail workers, etc, and I sure as hell don't harass them. I only did 2 deliveries today; one of them from a place where I'm on a first name basis with the managers and to-go staff. The other one I've never been to before, but it was a quick "Hi, I'm here to pick up a <delivery service> order for <name>", followed by "Thanks, have a good one!" when they handed me the order. I got "your session has expired" and couldn't log back in shortly after, and had that email waiting for me.

Goddamn, STR, can you not catch a break? What the hell?

slothrop posted:

Was waiting for this :v:

If all my best buds survive when I die, I want them to come together and make their best attempt at amateur rocketry.

My ashes either slip the surly bonds of Earth and travel through the cosmos for all eternity OR my flaming remains rain down from a spectacular explosion. Win/win.

Yes, this. Space-X needs to set up a side business filling out the cargo holds in their rockets with cremation urns that they can jettison into space. I'd pay for that, but certainly not more than an actual burial.

Powershift posted:

I want to buy an old gas well, and turn it into a 2km long vacuum bazooka and launch my dead body into space.

Some aliens are gonna find my frozen corpse and think "wow, this guy was awesome"

I like you. You think good.

To those ends, I *really* need to set up a basic will. I'm almost 50 - practically dead.
Already an organ donor on my driver's license. If it's still good, have at it!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Our favorite YouTube car destroyerbuilder has found an audience in other forums.

Oh, goddammit.
I don't even want to look. I got tired of yelling at my monitor some time ago. I gather from the thread that he forgot the actual primary reason to build a paint booth - clean air in and fumes out. Of course.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

Yeah the new accord sport is pretty compelling and deserves a serious consideration.

I have been busy, won a 19k mile Toyota Celsior oh and this, has 12k miles:

I don’t even know what that is exactly, and I want it.

Powershift posted:

He put extension cords and power splitters behind the drywall

Also whatever the gently caress he did here

I don't understand how someone can be so loving stupid, and so confident in their loving stupidity.

Ugh. It’s not even difficult to run Romex and wire outlets when you’re already doing drywall!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Chris is like, the nicest dude but I had to stop defending him at this point.

I think part of the problem is that he's convinced himself he needs to rush poo poo out to keep the revenue coming in from the videos (which may not be wrong.) It seems to be a common problem with YouTubers - quality goes down as they try to stay on the YT treadmill.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So there's a 2003 Subaru Outback H6 3.0 VDC (whatever the gently caress that means) on SA:AI-Mart, in Phoenix, AZ. For $600. I'm in Dallas.
I'd like something to replace my Crown Vic that's smaller, gets better gas mileage, yet hauls more junk. If this is a wagon (he doesn't say,) it might fit the bill.
How much pain would I be in for?

Alternately, I found an '05 Outback XT 5-speed locally on Craigslist for $3K...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Might be time or almost time to do head gasket, water pump, and timing belt for both.

Do either of those get better gas mileage than a Crown Vic? I thought those cars didn't get that good of gas mileage.

The H6 gets 19/26 according to the internets. My CV might get 20 on the highway, maybe. I assume the XT might get better. The Goon Outback had 177K on it.
Ad here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=495940062#post495940062

It doesn't need to get stellar mileage - my alternative is a pickup or SUV, possibly a larger CUV, so "meh" mileage is par for the course. Also, for $600, I can suck it up and buy gas. At least the Outback is smaller - my CV is 17' or so long.

edit: huh. Internet says the CV is 18/25 MPG. That's... not been my experience. Best I've done was 20.7 on a trip from Dallas to Austin, and my average is 16.6. To be fair, I drive it like I stole it. I am the antithesis of every other Panther Chassis Granpa.

edit II, electric boogaloo: other SUVs/wagons of interested include the Volvo V70 and XC70, and then I discovered that you can get the XC90 with a V8...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 20, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Did I mention that my '87 AE86 was for sale? Please buy it. I want to pay for parts for my RX-7.

edit: and I don't want to deal with Craigslist or FB Marketplace.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

So... that's it? No explanation as to why they yanked my account? I suspect it got reinstated because I requested arbitration in my reply to their accusation (and I actually sent the formal request yesterday, via certified mail, per my contract), when they realized I don't go away without a fight.

My schedule is completely gone for the rest of the week, with no hours available. I have to pay rent next week.. :fuckoff: I can pick up shifts as people no-show for them (there's a 13 minute grace period; they become available for others to grab 14 minutes after they start), but that's only reliable for peak shifts.

The grocery store job doesn't pay a shitload, but at least they don't up and randomly suspend people.

The Gig Economy is worker hostile, news at 11.
Get off that treadmill, son. (Yes, I know it's not just that easy. Our society is currently not friendly for bootstrapping, no matter how easy Boomers seem to think it is. Hopefully the grocery store thing works out in your favor.)

So, it looks like I will be flying to Arizona to buy and drive a Scooby back to Dallas, TX, wife and possibly teenager in tow (wife wants to make it a combo family trip and to get my daughter on an airplane for the first time.)
Last time I did this trip, I cannonballed a lease return back to TX, and drove mostly overnight. What should I stop and see on the way? I see Saguaro National Park and White Sands Missile Museum within easy reach of potential routes, and Carlsbad if we take 62 rather than staying on the Interstate (10). Not sure what else. Can't be gone more than a weekend - probably fly out early Saturday, hopefully start driving back before noon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

That is so weird and lovely. It's like the gig economy companies are actively trying to out-rear end in a top hat retail companies in who can screw their employees (or "independent contractors") harder.

Hordes of people desperate for a job will do that. Oh, and Republicans in control.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

If you're a space nerd the Very Large Array is a must-see and is on your way back if you take highway 60, which is a great and generally very fast road, you can also stop in Pie Town for some Pie with green chillies in it! Camp out near the Capitan Mountains, if camping's your thing.

Then take highway 380 back to Dallas, it's a straight shot, and not much slower than the interstate, many great views of cattle and whatnot in West Texas

Some photos from the route described in no rational order:

Thanks!
Would like to see the VLA, yes. Pie Town sounds like a good place to be. :) and 380 would take us right through Roswell for extra UFO goodness. I would prefer a state highway over I-10/20.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't have two kids because I had my daughter. She's enough, oh, boy.

Thanks for the travel suggestions folks. I'll relay them to my trip coordinator (same as my social manager and financial manager. You know, the wife.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

In good news I got the Fargo unstuck. The Delica just spun the rear tires, used a friends new Tahoe.

In bad news that I am trying not to vent or go crazy and smash things about, my uncles funeral that I was already upset about costing 8-10k, my mom went and made arrangements and spent $15k. For an hour visitation and putting him in the ground, we already own the plot. I am shaking with anger and disgust. gently caress these death dealers they are nothing but thieves and liars.

AND there's laws in a lot of places protecting them - that you *have* to use a cemetery and you *have* to use a particular kind of coffin, etc. Fuckin' vampires.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heck, yeah, STR!

My wife has trouble sweating, too - means she can’t handle heat very well at all, which also means my electric bill in summer is... more than it would be if it were just me in the house. Also, outdoor stuff like festivals as such are somewhat time-limited.
Me, I just sweat so much I get literally soaking wet (in fact, helping the MIL put new canopies on her patio gazebos right now - posting on a break - and it’s so stupid muggy and still right now, I’m dying here. Thunderstorms incoming, but no lovely outflow breeze yet.) I hate sweating this much, but it means I survive the heat. Would work way better in, say, AZ.

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, once you start earning like, living wage money, it's ridiculous to look back at what you used to make and think that was enough to survive.
I'm up to $30/hr and there's really no upper limit on how much you can make in the HVAC/R trade. Especially since there's a shortage of people now.

I feel that. I have no clue how my wife and I lived on what we made 10-15 years ago.
I’m still contract right now, so I do miss vacation and holiday pay, but at least the base pay is good and I do have medical, if not the best. Not the worst, either by American standards, so still not great

everdave posted:

Good on you STR happy to hear.

Found an old can of bug & tar remover and I got the majority of it off after about 2 hours. Smelled like kerosene. Rinsed the car good will do a good clean and wax later this week, can’t while I’m out of town.

Petroleum distillates. So, yeah, basically kerosene.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Youse'all need some half-decent consumer protection laws.

The laws don't really do any good when the dealers force you to pay a lawyer 6x what the repair costs to take it to court. That's what most large companies doing shady poo poo rely on - you don't have the money to lawyer up.

Sgt Fox posted:

Entered the 323 in a local car show this weekend. I made up some fake dealer window decals and taped them to the windows. Passed the car off as 'stock'. Opened the hood and then just listened while people wandered by and checked things out.

A few gems:

"See, look, it IS a factory car"
"Wow, $18K, no wonder these cars were never popular"
"Hmm, I never knew these had a V6, I thought they were economy cars"
"My grandma used to have one of these"
"What wax does this guy use?"
"No, its real, its a stock car"
"All this guy did was add a cold air intake, why is he here?"

Pretty much 95% of the people were fooled. The remaining 5% thought something was up, but couldn't pick out what. They usually defaulted to telling themselves it was the cone air filter or painted valve covers. It was fun.

Awesome.
I can't say I'd have caught it if you didn't have a thread about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

blk posted:

What is it with millennials and ghosting? Made an opening offer on a student's Z4 (per other thread), 20% lower than ask. All of a sudden the rapid communication disappears. Not answering phone, email, or text (but probably creeping my Instagram).

This may not be the place to say this, but you do realize that "Millennials" are in their 30s, and generally not students, right?

blk posted:

Then just take the better offer and take the ad down? It's listed at $3500, avoiding some buyers and holding out for others seems like a lot of effort for the stakes.

quote:

Hi $SELLER

I tried you on the phone yesterday, I hope you're doing OK. I'm still interested in buying your car at a price you find acceptable. I don't want to waste your time or mine, and I hope I'm wrong in my assumption that you're ghosting me (I've never run into this before, but I'm 35 and get the impression that you're younger than me). If this is the case, please just give me a no instead.

Thank you,

Blk

LOL, *you're* a Millennial, and don't know what Millennials are. If you mean "young people", just say that.

edit: Suburban Dad beat me to it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

I had a DRW square body chevy but it makes the game chug baaaaaaaaaad

ps. gently caress the police

The only thing better would be if that was a lawn tractor on the trailer, or a Power Wheels.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

You need a lot more power for lawn tractors.

:thumbsup:
I also like your commitment to obnoxious colors in the last couple rigs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

FWIW he's not trying to be an rear end on purpose.

But he does pull really weird things occasionally. Like, he's a former government worker with a 38h/week job. He retired at the ripe old age of 40, with near full salary.

My sister is working full time and raising two little kids, and she's close to 40 herself now. Occasionally she'll remark that her life is stressful. Innocently. He will then smugly lecture her about how the real world works outside her lefty hippy bubble, and that eventually she will grow up, too. Once as a student she bought an IKEA bed frame because her bed was broken, and he ranted about how it must be for her to waste such amounts on frivolities and if she considered herself special or something. For having a bed.

He does that poo poo regularly and it's completely mindboggling. He always had problems empathizing and showing appropriate responses, but now that he's getting old it's getting bizarre. Origin story of a Boomer.

Retiring, much less at 40, is a near-impossibility now, and they don't seem to realize that the world has changed, largely because of *them*. gently caress, I'm 49, and despair of ever retiring, despite having what should have been a decent start on 401(k)/IRA.
Hell, even then, working just 38 hours and retiring at 40 was unusual.
My dad didn't retire until he was laid off at 67, 3 years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'm hoping to die horribly in the irradiated wasteland before I have to worry about retirement.

It's either that or the lottery. At least with the wasteland thing I can haul rear end around in a modified vehicle, setting wrongs right. Or so I've been told.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

No actual weld flash, thankfully, just bewilderment. I couldn't feel my ring finger pressing the trigger through my glove and got about 18" of filler wire to melt, just far enough away to see the arcing out the corner of my eye while I fiddled with the pipe clamp

I have certainly never welded a foot or so of wire to my welding table, ever, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ask me about the hot blob of solder that dripped off my solder gun onto my bare thigh (wearing shorts because Texas and shop owner was a cheapskate no-AC guy) while wiring in something-or-another at the stereo shop I worked at.
You know what you can't do? Brush hot solder off. You have to let it sit there long enough to congeal before you try to knock it off of you. Still have a scar from that one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to be insanely jealous of a teenager but I just learned that my friends kid is at Space Camp and I am just boiling with envy right now.

I'm with you. I always wanted to do that as a kid, and still do.

BTW, guys, I am buying that '03 Subaru Outback H6 3.0 VDC I asked about earlier. bought tickets to Arizona (from Dallas) for the weekend after July 4th. The wife wanted to come, and bring the kid (17) and make a family trip of it, so coming home will take a bit longer, since we want to see some of the stuff you guys pointed out along the way. Leaving Friday night due to the tickets being *significantly* cheaper - enough so that tickets plus hotel are cheaper than Saturday morning tickets - picking up the car Saturday morning, and driving 1300 miles in the next two days. Yeah, it should be only about 1,000, but we're going up to the Petrified Forest, and over the the Very Large Array, and down to White Sands, etc. As long as the AC and cruise work in the car, I'll be fine.

Anyway, to that end, I'm looking at parts and upgrades already. Will depend on exactly what it has, but possibly a new stereo so I can use a reversing camera, and I just discovered what the H6 sounds like with a better (or no) muffler. Oh, boy.

Powershift posted:

It would be really cool if i could sleep instead of thinking up poo poo like this.

Hey, a modern, smaller Deora!
In fact, you're not far off of the Deora III that Hot Wheels just released:
https://images.mattel.com/scene7/FYB43_01$oslarge$&wid=412&hei=412&template=HWCBackgroundTemplate

Humphreys posted:

I'm sure there was a Hot Wheels/ Matchbox car of that

You're right!
See above.

Yes.

Tomarse posted:

Sorry to be a few pages behind here. I don't know what US thing this was before but you have just turned it into a Volvo estate.

It was a '90s Mercury Cougar. RWD, V8 (or V6, or supercharged V6) with IRS, interestingly enough. Unusual for the time, at least.

Powershift posted:

I should have been an automotive designer in the 80s

I want a wagon version of my Crown Vic.
Ford at least had a Panther wagon in the era of that Town Car (Ford and Merc only, though.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Regional food discussions crack me up because the south mainly gets ignored unless it's BBQ or fried food.

Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we actually have an amazing variety of ethnic foods. Mexican is a given (real Mexican as well as Tex-Mex), but there is also a sizable Middle Eastern and Indian population, and Vietnamese, among others. In my little town between Big D and Fort Worth, we have Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, and, oh, shoot, some flavor of African restaurants. Not far away there are Cuban and South American places, and plenty of Pho places around. We’ve even got a few local ramen places that I need to try.
Up in Plano (just north of Dallas), there’s a whole strip of Japanese restaurants and stores, including a grocery store that was gangs of fun to visit.
I have no idea about the rest of TX, really, but DFW is pretty dang diverse. I’d assume that Austin is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

T-Square posted:

I live in Wisconsin, and my dad goes fuckin' bananas for Waffle House. It's what he looks forward to the most when he has to travel down south for work.

Really? I’ve been to Waffle House like four times. It was fine. Good choice for “after the titty bar” at 2 AM, at least. Definitely a greasy spoon type place, if that’s what you’re looking for.