Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of the delivery companies I contract with does Home Depot same-day deliveries. We have a specific weight limit, and we can turn down deliveries if they exceed that limit - but you have to text or call dispatch. Their driver app WILL NOT let you move on to the next task until they've removed it (and when they do that, you wind up not getting paid for the time or mileage driving to the store) - they might take 2 minutes, they might take 5 loving hours, they might not even fix it until a day or two later :fuckoff: (my record is 3 days). I can't count how many times I've wound up with my car completely bottomed out from 1000+ pounds of cement in the trunk and back seat, then sent to pick up 5 or 6 cases of copy paper from Office Depot on top of that before dropping off the cement. Or how many times I've had to haul a water heater, or fully assembled grill, or or or or... well a lot more poo poo that I'm really not supposed to carry to a passenger car. This particular delivery company gives ZERO fucks. The only reason I can haul this kind of poo poo is because I don't have a B pillar; thus, much easier to load the Satshit.

If a loving SATURN COUPE that's lost about half of its ponies since it left the factory can do that poo poo, you're failing at driving at driving even a 1980 Chevy Luv.

I think I had at least 3000 lbs of sandbags in my F-150 at one point (1980, 351M, C6 auto - slow as hell when empty) - my hometown tends to flood badly when the skies really open up, and back then you could just go to specified areas and get sandbags (I think I had to go to the local army base? it's been so long I don't remember). The front tires were barely on the ground, and sandbags were piled almost to the roof of the bed cap (your 70s/80s style bed cap, not a tonneau cover). "Sketchy" didn't begin to describe handling, and I'm sure a 240D Merc would have been able to outrun me if they were at half throttle. I couldn't get over about 40 MPH, WOT, that night, and stopping was more of a prayer than anything. It DID make it to my parents office (water at their front door was almost waist deep at the worst), and we got the sandbags piled up high enough to allow only minor flooding (a few inches of water in their office when it was 3+ feet high at the door - most of it seemed under the walls). Side note: some jackass hauled rear end past the overhead door of their office doing at least 40 during that flood, and caused the overhead door to completely cave in, basically loving all efforts to save the contents inside. Parents owned a carpet cleaning company at the time, and there were rugs inside that were worth $10k+....

Carolla update (if I get this car, it'll be named Adam Carolla, because I can't stand him) - friend stuck a trickle charger on it today. Found a mouse nest under the hood, but it was on top of the engine cover. Nothing under the cover. Apparently has an aftermarket alarm that was pretty easy to disable (it has the factory key fobs, why would someone put an aftermarket shitshow in it?! he said the hazards started flashing and it started giving a very weak siren as soon as he hooked up the trickle charger - he got it to stop pretty easily once I described what a valet switch looks like). He hasn't been able to start it (because :laffo: 3 amp trickle charger on a battery that's been completely dead for 3 years), but it shows signs of life when turning the key (dash lights barely light up, gauges twitch; no odometer or radio, everything dies if you touch a window switch... but he said all of the lights were very dim + seat belt beeper/key in beeper were very weak anyway; tl;dr the battery is FUKT).

I'm probably heading up to DFW in a week or two anyway; parents have quite the honey-do list that they can't afford to pay for (one of which will be ripping out their shitbox sprinkler controller and putting in an internet-connected one, since stepdad doesn't believe in changing the backup battery and VERY much believes in unplugging the drat thing to charge his weed whacker), close friend also has an AC that she can't afford to get fixed (gently caress slumlords that force all repairs onto the tenant - from what she said it probably just needs a cap - I'm half tempted to walk up to her landlord's door and say "catch" with the old cap [I'm not that stupid, her landlord has a billion cameras around his house]). I expect stepdad to have a couple of strokes when he finds out how much an IP-connected sprinkler controller will run, and a second stroke when I say I need to either run ethernet to the garage or at least throw in a wifi extender (I have bulk Cat5E, wall plates, keystones, etc... so it's just materials until he pisses me off, at which point I start billing $150/hr, rounded to whole hours, as a gently caress you fee). I'M NOT TECH SUPPORT FUCKER, I REFUSE TO DEAL WITH THIS poo poo UNLESS I CAN DIRECTLY ACCESS IT GODDAMNIT. I am NOT helping your dumbass reprogram an 18 year old sprinkler controller that I've been trying to get you to replace for over a loving decade, and I'm sure as gently caress not gonna explain (again, after a decent rain) why poo poo won't work when there's been a rain sensor directly in-line with everything for 15 years.

YES I KNOW YOU'RE ALL SCREAMING TO RUN AWAY FROM THE COROLLA. 0% APR owner finance when you have terrible credit is hard to say no to, damnit, so it's still getting a hard look.

Why no, I haven't had a super lovely day, why do you ask?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm leaning toward Corolla, but I know I'm gonna need to dump a bunch of money into it (I'm budgeting about $1k; a lot less if it can be safely driven with the current tires, but that's just deferring the inevitable for maybe a month). I'm going into it knowing this. I've also had to deal with rodent-damaged engine harnesses before (on my last car and on my mother's car); so long as you have a decent meter and tools, it's not the end of the world (but I'll be teaching the neighborhood a lot of new ways to cuss while I trace everything, and I'll have to get a tracer again).

That 0% owner finance is the biggest reason I'm considering it. I have poo poo for credit (a bunch of really old stuff [10+ years old] got re-aged and popped back up even though they don't have a current phone # for me - I've been very careful to keep all accounts tied to an old Google Voice number, so at least my phone doesn't blow up all day). I keep disputing, but it pops back up within a few weeks. My GF is willing to cosign (she has a credit score well into the 800s, and has had the same employer for over 15 years), but I make more than she does. Once you look at her monthly expenses vs income, banks realize she shouldn't be able to sign for even a $500 personal loan.

My stepdad cosigned on a Sallie MaeBitch loan; I'm not going to ask him to cosign on anything else until that's paid off (and again... like GF, he has a perfect credit score, but really doesn't make a whole lot - I think he's pulling $45k or so as an assistant manager for a well known drug store chain, and that's after ~20 years of working there). Mom's credit is decent (bankruptcy about 5 yrs ago where she got over 100k wiped out - she couldn't work for a few years thanks to hip issues) (she's in the low 700s), but the income comes into play again. My (blood) father has a literal perfect credit score; he pulls drat near 1/2M a year if not more, but won't cosign for even my stepmother.

tl;dr: rock, is that you? I wanna introduce you to this hard place

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 3, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST

Cripes, I can't even tell what kind of car that really smashed up one is.

Think it's safe to assume the fatality was in that one.
e: well gently caress, what's left of her is visible briefly

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 5, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I noticed a Nissan centercap on a wheel in a news article about it. The headlight was saying Altima or Volvo before I saw that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He apparently has a pretty colorful criminal history.

CornHolio posted:

I'll admit I was watching for a body, but I didn't see anything that was identifiable as a body, unless that weird shape in the backseat-ish area of the car was her.

edit: Must be, I think I can see a hand and a belt and a neck. No, uh, nothing above the neck though.

Yuuuup.

Several of the comments mention the same thing and even where to look.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: well this is a hell of a tragic page snipe

CornHolio posted:

Dude it really loving bothers me that one minute that's a person, somebody with family, ambitions, needs...and literally a few frames later it's a chunk of meat.

Life and death are loving weird.

Same. There's not much gore in that video, but when you do see it... yeah. You can see several people take one look at the car and realize there's nothing that can be done. It looks like the firefighter checks for a pulse (probably more because procedure than anything) at about 6:30 into the video. :smith:

Darchangel posted:

Mother of God. W... where is/are the occupant(s) of the silver car?
Is that the rear end in a top hat trying to walk away on the other side of the barrier and collapsing @ 2:50?
That's the whole top of the silver car wadded up in front of the truck isn't it?

The occupant is mostly in the engine bay of the truck, if I had to guess.

And yes, that's him stumbling away. He got off with minor injuries, IIRC?

Suburban Dad posted:

That's how it always seems to go in drunk driver crashes. :(

He wasn't drunk. He was speeding... in two ways (meth).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What's kinda surprising is when the news media did a video clip of the side of the car, they didn't even bother covering anything. I guess they figured the low angle would be enough to hide what was left of her. Or maybe didn't even notice there was some... uh... meat... left in there.

Serious (and dark) question, what happens in a horrific accident like this? I'm sure the car doesn't get hauled off with any bodies or major body parts still in them. I know cars roll through auction plenty with biohazard warnings, but that's usually blood , excrement, sometimes brain matter from eating a bullet, etc, right? Do the first responders shovel the remains into a body bag before releasing it to the tow company?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Makes me rethink driving the panda daily, no matter how safe I drive there's no accounting for someone else's 2 ton appliance doing 70 when I'm stopped at a junction. They'd need a hose to get what's left out of that.

Curb weight for a 2013 Silverado 1500 (which is roughly what that truck appeared to be) is: 4,460 to 5,487 lbs. Probably safe to assume 4460 is if you get the (pretty much never optioned) 4.3 V6 (I didn't even know that was still an option on those, but safe to say that's probably only an option for fleet models).

So a bit more than 2 tons, possibly close to 3 tons, empty. I'm not positive on the year, but it looks like a 1500, and I think that's an 06-13.

Modus Man posted:

I wish I knew! I’ve got an 03 suburban that gets up to 40k miles on the front brakes, 25k miles on the outside rear pads, and 10-15k miles on the inside rear pads. I’ve replaced the entire braking system over the years multiple times and nothing has changed its behavior. It drives and brakes fine so I just deal with it.

How much is traction control kicking in? It pulses the rear brakes when it does. You may not even realize it's kicking in if a flaky rear wheel speed sensor is annoying it slightly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 7, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

First day of work went well aside from me being dead tired. Have 32 hours for next week already, plus 4 hours tomorrow for a little bit of training. Except during orientation they did the typical "so here's the location organizational structure.. here's the dept managers, here's the store management". With head shots.

The head honcho of the store? His name sounded familiar, but he has a super common name. Then I saw the picture.

Looked him up on LinkedIn to confirm. Yup, I knew him growing up. I have no idea how that's gonna play out. I'm sure he'll remember my name whenever we finally run into each other, but we were never on bad terms of any kind (we both ran dialup BBSs in our hometown, he was my cosysop at one point I think too). I just don't know what kind of corporate crap might come into play here. Hopefully none, we lost touch after I moved over 20 years ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 8, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah already tried barking up that tree when I was 16 :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mekilljoydammit posted:

Unless you're applying for something with security clearance and didn't disclose it or something, or you're completely and totally unqualified and only got the job due to pre-existing connection, nobody cares, don't worry about it.

It's a (shockingly well paying) overnight job in a retail store, and I have enough retail experience that they basically handwaved me through the interview process. Not exactly anything that requires a clearance. They'll do a credit check if I ever move into a management position or a position handling more than a single register's worth of money, that's about as far as it goes. He and I haven't talked since I left our hometown, and AFAIK he has no idea I work there yet.

Today was supposed to be power equipment training day. That took all of 10 minutes instead of a couple of hours, since I've used everything before at another retailer, just never actually got certified or trained properly. The equipment is just bigger versions of everything I've used before, so it was proving I know how to use everything safely and getting used to the controls (i.e. don't hit the sprinkler or camera directly above where the forklift usually sits), some pencil whipping and a "so how late do you want to stay today? I got hours to burn if you want them." So I wound up working day shift. Pretty much thrown to the wolves, but the customer mobile app lets you look up where specific items are in the store. I've also been a regular customer at this specific store for 10 months now, so I know the layout fairly well.

My legs and feet are killing me though. Gonna need to get some new shoes, get used to being on my feet all day again, and get used to climbing ladders constantly again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The 4 screws through the board setup? My last AMD had that too (I wanna say an Athlon 64 X2 5200+), though it also had the tabs on the socket (pretty sure all AMD stuff has the same, or similar, 4 hole mounting method now?). I've broken those tabs off before when using beefy copper heatsinks with those old screamer 7000 RPM Delta fans.

It's also a really solid mounting system that doesn't rely on the CPU socket, and spreads the weight out a lot better.

I have a pretty beefy Cooler Master copper heatpipe + aluminum finned cooler with a 120mm fan, and the board holds it fine.

It's usually only a complex mounting setup if you get a heavy cooler that uses a bracket on the backside of the board... and forget to put the bracket on before putting the board in the case (my cooler is one of these, but my case has a cutout that allows access to that part of the board). The OEM Intel cooler just has plastic quarter turn things that pop through, though it's laughably terrible if you do anything that stresses the CPU (also, loud).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 9, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hyper 212 fanboy/user checking in.

Irony: that was the cooler I used on my last AMD build (the original Hyper 212). Tried to slap it onto my i5-2500k; when I first fired it up, the BIOS was throwing overheat errors immediately.

Turns out you needed the Hyper 212 Plus or newer for any i5. Bracket fit, heatsink bolted down, but it didn't make physical contact with the CPU. :doh: At least Intel builds stupid monitors into their CPUs. So I've been rocking the 212 Plus for the past decade. I'm just glad Intel CPUs automatically throttle when you gently caress up like that; I've smoked an old school AMD chip when the heatsink wasn't tight against the CPU before.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 9, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DFW goon roll call. Everyone okay?

We caught the remnants of that storm way down here, and even with it severely weakened it was enough for me to take shelter in a gas station (was out on deliveries when it hit), and it spawned one tornado a bit north of me. Several friends in DFW aren't expected to get power back until as late as Wednesday. :catstare:

This dog looks mighty pleased with himself for burying a cat in concrete! Wrong kind of cat, doggo, but good boy anyway.

(search and rescue doggo from Carrollton FD [I think; otherwise it'll be Plano or Dallas] in the parking garage at the Elan City Lights apartment complex - a crane decided to crash the party during the storms)

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm also rocking a hyper 212+ on an Intel *bridge i5. It's a fantastic cheap workhorse, but there's someone on Craigslist selling a toddler head sized noctua for 30 bucks. I am mightily tempted, just so that I can move it forward when I eventually upgrade.

The current version of the Hyper 212 is still a pretty modest $35, and AFAIK it works with most current consumer boards.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was at a Toyota dealership recently and checked one out. I was surprised at how hilariously small the cargo area is, like I'm pretty sure the sedan has just as much if not more room in the trunk.

17.8 cubic feet vs 13 cubic feet. The first visual just gives you an impression of square footage, not cubic footage - you can stack all the way to the ceiling if needed. Folding the back seats down gives you 23.3 cubic feet, and there's no tiny opening to deal with between the trunk and back seat. I'm assuming it's like the Matrix, where the back seats fold flat with the cargo floor, or close to it.

I know GF's Matrix (which was sold as a 5 door Corolla elsewhere) can basically be used like a small van; it's gutless as hell (since base model with least powerful engine), but that just means it takes a bit longer to hit highway speeds. If the transmission wasn't made of glass I'd be keeping an eye out for a used 1st gen, they're almost like having a small pickup.

ilkhan posted:

On the plus side, you'll probably lose weight and better manage the diabetes.

Very true. I'm actually worried about running into low sugar while working because I'll be doing actual physical labor - my medication keeps my A1c at pretty good levels with my current activity levels. I bought a big bottle of glucose tablets tonight, and I'll plan a visit with my dr for med adjustments if I start running into low sugar regularly.

First real overnight shift starts in 20 hours. Trying to pull an all-nighter right now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 10, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can't say a whole lot about newer ones, but GF's mom has a 2014ish Corolla. GF's mom still holds a valid license, but she's legally blind at this point (she's in her 80s - macular degeneration in full effect), so she doesn't drive anymore (the car has less than 25k, but plenty of evidence of multiple minor accident repairs, all done very poorly); while we were visiting for Thanksgiving I did pretty much all of the driving for all of us.

It was a perfectly capable car for what we asked of it. It was comfortable for all of us, the AC was cold, the heat was hot, the radio worked, the windows/locks worked, the keyless entry worked, the automatic was matched pretty well to the engine and car, and it scooted okay for having 3 adults in it. It was boring as hell, but it's a perfect commuter car. My only gripe was the hilariously misaligned headlights, but that's because it's been in at least 3 (that GF knows of... likely many more before Mama GF hung up her keys) fender benders. It handled very well for an economy car.

tl;dr it's a good appliance car. GF has a '05 Corolla Matrix 5MT with <90k, and it handles shockingly well for what it is (it's on original everything except for the clutch :rolleyes:). You won't win any races, you won't outhandle anyone, but it does everything you ask of it without much fuss aside from having to wind it up to merge with highway traffic. The gearbox in it shifts better than any other "cheap" car I've driven (caveat being an insanely touchy clutch), and I would expect newer Toyotas to shift similarly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 10, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah... when I moved out of my old apartment, all the big poo poo got thrown in a box truck, threw my car on a trailer behind it, and hauled all of it 200 miles (btw, 9 mpg in a V10 16 foot Ford cutaway, with a flat car trailer, with my ~2900 pound car on it, and the box full... with it floored and doing ~75 the whole way.... not loving bad at all).

I had 2 weeks left on my lease, so we came back up in her car a couple of days before my lease ended to get all the little poo poo. Which was basically all of the non-furniture poo poo. We had to leave a couple of things with my parents (retrieved later), but it was crammed so full that we could barely close the hatch. It wasn't riding on the bumpstops, but it was definitely rear end-heavy. Her Matrix has the exact same floor in the back as your Vibe, and AFAIK it's the identical car with a different radio and slightly different body.

I had it floored most of the way from Dallas to Austin (I was able to hit about 75 on most flat roads, but that was WOT with all of that weight), and it still hit ~26 mpg on that trip. I also did 90% of the driving to/from New Orleans for my birthday trip in it, and I've used it for work a handful of times. So long as it's not loaded down, it's always 27-29 mpg no matter how I drive it. Beat the living poo poo out of it on steep hills? 27 mpg. Take it easy and let it lug slightly? 28 mpg. Shift properly and spend the entire tank on the highway? 29 mpg. That car seriously gives zero fucks so long as you don't lug the hell out of it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So first real overnight shift. Great bunch of people there. Pretty light truck for my department, we all thought we'd be going home early. Nope, frozen's truck didn't show up until almost 3:00 AM. It was due by midnight. So we scrambled to help them. Didn't get the entire truck done, but got most of it done by the time the store opened.

The store also issues knee pads. Gel-filled knee pads. Best kneepads I've ever used. But fuuuuuuck my feet are killing me; I have some Reebok work shoes (slip resistant + composite toes since I'm using forklifts and power jacks) on the way, they should be here today. Mid tops, so a good bit of ankle support (they have a low top version that's styled much like a skate shoe, which is the type of shoe I normally wear, but it was steel toe instead of composite). Kinda surprised at how work shoes have finally started looking halfway decent; all the ones I wore when I worked in restaurants always looked like :10bux: Payless specials.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

No. We usually will get on tangents about what kind of mileage we are getting but the actual idiocy of hypermiling by doing things like over inflating tires

I, uh, actually do run higher than recommended (by the car maker) tire pressure on my tires. GM recommends 31 PSI, I run 35. It seems to make a slight difference in both mileage and handling, and they don't wear oddly (with 31-32 the outside wears faster than the inside).

But now that I'm driving <10 miles a day (except on the one or two days I'll still do delivery), instead of 100-150.... mileage isn't gonna be nearly as important to me. It's gonna tank since my work commute is 1.7 miles, plus I'm anal about getting there pretty early.. so I tend to sit in the car with it idling (to run the AC) and read a bit before I go in.

everdave posted:

I’ve been out of town for 2 weeks, and I stashed my Japanese vans in the back to hide from prying ex wife eyes. The Fargo I cleverly placed pointing downhill is now stuck as gently caress. All the weight is in the front, rear drive and it weighs nothing. I’ve already tried sticking a heavy neighbor in the back. I’d pull it out with the Delica but there is literally no suitable place to hook a tow strap that won’t break off or bend or ruin. The beefy rear axle seems like the place but there are brake lines and exhaust everywhere and it is perfect underneath (really) and I don’t want to hurt it. Ideas? Help?

Get a couple of bags of the cheapest shittiest cat litter (non-clumping). Dump it behind the tires.

meatpimp posted:

I finally got around to changing the fuel filter in the Avalon. The fuel line nut was extremely tight and I wasn't able to get it to break loose from the top last year. I tried again today and couldn't get enough leverage to break it from the top, but I was able to get it from below. Yay.

It immediately ran better and it was easy to tell the trim/ignition map was way off. A couple drive cycles and it is running so much better, it's amazing. Who would have thought that a fuel filter would need to be changed after 20 years and 166k miles. :D

I just realized, I don't think it's ever been changed on mom's, and hers has a bit more miles. Where's it hiding?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm a security guard and do a lot of walking. Asics running shoes have been the best so far, although the new Adidas with the boost foam are really good too.

Every type of "work shoe" I have ever used suck in comparison, but if you need a steel toe you don't have much of a choice i guess.

I don't HAVE to have toe protection, but since I'm going to be using forklifts and powered pallet jacks (the pallet jacks can carry up to 6000 lbs, plus the weight of the jack itself, which is north of 1000 lbs for the electric ones), I wanted a composite toe - not steel. Steel is likely to bend and sever toes if something heavy enough hits it, composite tends to hold up a bit better (... but only once). I'm also walking on pretty much an ice rink whenever I'm in the freezers, and maintenance is mopping the sealed concrete floors overnight (which makes them slick as hell), so something with good slip resistance sounded good. They're not required, but they're recommended.

I honestly needed new shoes anyway, and they really weren't much more than what I'd normally wear (generally DCs or Etnies) - and I had no idea Reebok even made these kind of shoes. Running shoes have always been the most slippery shoes when I've worked in food service and grocery stores too.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have a real fear of dumping a ton of gasoline on the ground and being set on fire.

So long as you're not smoking, and there's nothing making sparks nearby, it's not gonna do much more than give you a headache. Buuuuuut if you're in an enclosed garage with no airflow, and, say, have an old fridge that has a fan motor with brushes, there's a very slim chance of :supaburn: happening. Much higher chance if, say, you have your gas water heater in the garage.

FWIW, my car has a rusted out fuel line. It's parked in a garage with a running fridge and a garage door opener, though the overhead door has a vent cut into it (city code thing). The garage always smells like gas, but it hasn't blown up (yet).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 11, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

You don't HAVE to have toes, either. Good idea wearing foot pro. I actually wear Justin composite toe western work boots these days. Good traction, electrical protection, and more comfortable on ladders than my old flat-bottomed skate shoes.

Trip report: they fit a bit on the loose side. I wear a 9.5 to 10 medium depending on the brand; I ordered 9.5, knowing Amazon will let me swap them if I need to.

They came pre-laced, with the laces pretty loose. I'm hoping I can just redo the lacing - they're the right length, but they almost feel like they're a wide (the box is labeled 9.5D, which should be a medium, tags in the shoes just say 9.5). Kinda disappointed in the inserts too, there's barely anything there. I'll see if my arches hurt with these; but I'll probably drop :10bux: on some inserts. Kinda disappointing for Reebok, especially a nearly $100 shoe. I'm not expecting Red Wing quality at that price, but I expected a little better.

Actually gently caress it, I'll order some "Dr. Scholl's Pain Relief Orthotics for Arch Pain" anyway. If nothing else I can throw them into my everyday shoes, since my arches start killing me in those once I've been on my feet awhile. Only $11.

Elviscat posted:

Please don't promulgate this urban legend, ANSI rated steel toes are so strong that anything that crushes them will have destroyed your toes already, furthermore the arch in the steel toe doesn't bend into a toe-destroying guillotine like one might envision when thinking about it, it crumples uniformly, distributing the force of whatever you dropped on it across the toes.

That being said, rated composite toes are equally safe, lighter weight, and tend to insulate from cold rather than conduct it, so they do sound like a superior choice for your use case, just for different reasons :)

Thanks for the lesson on that. I was given that info when I worked at UPS ages ago, and it's been stuck in my head ever since. Even with the composite toes, these things are a lot heavier than I expected (and I normally wear big clunky skate shoes). The extra insulation from the composite toe will be nice when walking through a -20F freezer though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 12, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AMZL strikes again, except this time in your favor. :v:

FWIW I had an order stuck in my queue for over 2 years... they refunded it/cancelled it multiple times (automatically) because it was taking so long. I got the item 2 days after I ordered it, but it was stuck in "Shipping Now" forever, even long after the item was discontinued.

I even reached out to them and let them know that hey, this order was delivered a year ago... can you do something about it? Result... cancelled it, which issued another refund, but the order was still showing. Multiple attempts to get them to fix it resulted in... basically the same thing. It finally went away on its own after about 2 1/2 years.

The headlight restoration kit that's paid for itself many times over.... literally. :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno: so last night I had already put on my composite toe shoes :smuggo: before leaving for work. GF walked up to give me a kiss before I left... barefoot. Then she yelled "OUCH WHAT THE gently caress? WHAT THE gently caress IS YOUR SHOE MADE OF?!"

I didn't even realize she'd stubbed her toe(s) on my shoe. Didn't feel it at all (also holy crap using a clutch with these heavy boats is... different)

Job chat. I'm only 2 weeks in, and it's weird having to punch a timeclock again, but I'm liking it so far.

I've been kinda cagey about admitting even what retail industry it is after the last time I mentioned a job, but I think I feel safe in saying I now work for an employee-owned grocery store. I like the people I work with, it seems like there's a lot of upward mobility available if you work hard, the pay is decent, and if I can get converted to full time, the benefits are great. One of the guys I work with has only been there 3 months, and they're already offering to make him a lead (he's also already averaging over 40 hours a week), but overnight has such high turnover that they're grateful to find anybody that will stick around. The work isn't bad, people just can't handle the hours. My only issue so far is falling asleep by 1-2pm - I have a shitload more energy now.

I've dropped 5 pounds already, and from keeping an eye on my sugar, it looks like I may be able to cut down on, if not eliminate, one of my diabetes medications entirely. I can't take it with whatever meal I have before work, otherwise my sugar drops into the 40s or 50s before our lunch break (even with me taking a snack to eat during breaks). The physical work feels good, the only thing really bothering me is my foot arches (and I have some insoles on the way that will hopefully help).

T-Square posted:

Mother, to my girlfriend: "Well, I hope you're not a Democrat too, otherwise you'll be offended by all of the stuff we say."
Sister: "Don't worry, some day they'll grow up and turn into Republicans."
BIL, in the background, unrelated: "...but no, I'm genuinely happy they released the Obama Christmas tree ornaments, I really am! Now I can finally hang a n**** from my tree!"

I took that as our cue to make a hasty exit, and I'll save my girlfriend the trouble of having to listen to that garbage again for as long as I can.

So my stepdad's family is from east Texas. I don't mean an actual city like Tyler or Longview. I mean a little town called Snook. It's a very small town, and his family is pretty well known there.

Stepdad's brother and SIL came to visit one time, to see Billy Graham at Texas Stadium. I dropped by to say hi, since I hadn't seen them in several years. I heard his brother bitching about "those loving n*** in front of us wouldn't sit down, WE COULDN'T SEE BILLY!!!!1!". I turned around and walked right out the door. They saw me walk in, I was just about to say hi when they did that. Mom told me she had a hard time not laughing her rear end off when they couldn't figure out why I left without saying anything.

As much as my stepdad and I butt heads, as much as he can be a grade A dick... at least he doesn't blurt too many racial insults (both mom and him will bitch about "those drat Mexicans" all day... hey guess what my GF is 100% Mexican by birth, but apparently it doesn't count because she was adopted by a white American 2 days after she was born?). These days it's my mother that's more likely to drop racist crap, but doesn't drop obvious racial slurs (except against Hispanics).

Meanwhile my stepmom is not only Hispanic, but 15 years younger than my dad. :haw: Hoooooo boy, mom haaaaaates all of that. And my aunt on my dad's side is married to someone significantly older than her, also of a different race (Japanese). Mom has never approved of that for some reason, but she hasn't been a part of that family since the divorce in 1982.

My mom and stepdad are polite to my GF, but my mother is extremely passive-aggressive when talking to her. Not racist stuff, but trying to tell her what a "woman's place in the home" is. :wtc: GF and I butt heads a lot, you guys all know I'm unhappy, but we're stuck for now, and our roles are somewhat reversed compared to what people my mother's age are used to - I do the bulk of the cleaning around the house (except laundry, we split that), we both make about the same amount of money, we both work full time, and we split all of the common bills down the middle. My dad and stepmom welcome GF with open arms whenever she's in town to visit her mother, and take both of them out to eat (and dad has always liked her mom as a friend - GF and I have known each other since HS, and dated briefly back then, so my family has known her mom for a long time).

Oh yeah... mom bleeds far right. GF bleeds far left. I consider myself liberal, she makes me look almost conservative. But we respect each other's views, and almost always vote the same (local elections are about the only thing we vote differently on). I always joke with mom than GF and I are cancelling out her and stepdad's votes. Well, it's a joke to me anyway...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Indiana

Makes sense. :v:

My dad is a "moderate republican", but when asked to explain, he says he's fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. I'm socially liberal, and kinda centrist fiscally.

Mom claims "libertarian". But she gets 99% of her news from Fox News (at least she hasn't discovered One America News yet...). And anytime I bring up anything opposing her world views, she claims the source I got it from is owned by George Soros. :wtc: She even claims I need to change my car insurance because Soros influences them (seriously, he influences Geico?!?).

Mom and I share a DirecTV Now account... which always starts playing the last-viewed channel for the next person. It always pops up with Fox News when I load it after not using it for a bit, so I make sure to leave it on MSNBC for her. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit, I should have tried negotiating a bit with them. My 2017 taxes left me owing less than $200. 2018 left me owing over $1600. I made slightly more for 2018, but had more writeoffs/deductions; it wound up being about a $1500 difference in net income. I have a $200/month IRS payment that loving stings (on top of $300/mo worth of student loans).

I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and see if I can get a 6 month hardship deferment on my federal loans, that'll leave me with just Sallie Bitch (which is all of $85/mo).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yup. And in my case, I've been an "independent contractor" for several years. An IC has to pay employee and employer taxes; the self employment tax doesn't change regardless of your deductions (it's based on gross income), but your personal income tax can be eliminated pretty easily. Get too aggressive with your deductions and you get audited (and sometimes wind up having to pay quite a bit more, with interest... but occasionally they discover they owe YOU money, with interest.... you have to treat recordkeeping as if you're running a full blown business).

I owed $0 in personal taxes; all of my debt is "self employment tax".

There are a LOT of companies that attempt to classify employees as ICs in the US. The one I did most of my delivery work for is very carefully skirting that line. The one my mom works for doesn't give two fucks; they're employees, expected to be in the store, scheduled with no say in it. Mom realized recently how badly she got burned when she found out she owes nearly $8k in taxes. Mom is their accountant.... and used to be married to my dad, who's a CPA. You'd think she would have figured out she was getting hosed 5 ways from Sunday a bit sooner. :laffo:

In my case, I get free* access to TurboTax Self Employed every year, because I'm technically a driver for Uber. I only qualify for Uber Eats orders (they don't like coupes, they also don't like 2+2 cars, they especially don't like cars with body damage or cars that smell like dead hookers). I don't even take enough Uber Eats orders for them to issue me a 1099 (even in the years I did, Uber uses funny math to decide who gets a 1099 - they do "pass through" for most of the fees to cut down on what counts toward a 1099). I'll certainly accept Uber's generosity in paying for TurboTax Self Employed in exchange for me making $20 off of 50 deliveries through an entire year...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo?!?

I was hired for overnights. Up until a few minutes ago, my schedule for next week was showing "see manager" (acceptable since the schedule doesn't actually post until noon). I was hired for overnights - 10pm-7am normally.

I have a 10am to 7pm shift thrown in. First shift of the week, and it's the one day we don't get a truck (we just work backstock on that day), but it's outside of my written availability. I can roll with it, but I'm gonna wind up dropping :20bux: on coffee to get through the day. I don't touch caffeine in general, so if I'm hitting coffee, you know I'm desperate. I'm hoping it's a fat-fingered AM/PM, we'll see when I look at the paper schedule tomorrow.

The rest of the week is all frozen - guess they were desperate enough to like me over there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Definitely verify that. I can't imagine what working a day shift would be like after getting used to midnights. Ugh.

Boss came in at 6am, I asked him about it then. It was a mistake; he meant to put me in for overnight on a different sub-department, but the computer changed it to a day shift when he fat fingered the job code (the computer apparently changes it to an AM to PM shift when coded for that job code).

It looks like I've become the Chosen One for frozen (which is chronically understaffed). My hands are not liking being shoved inside -20F coolers all night - anyone have suggestions for a lotion that would be decent for that, preferably something with no scent? My fingertips are already starting to crack. (also need to get some good gloves.. they gave me a pair, but they're too thick to really feel anything with - the other guys on frozen suggested knockoff mechanics gloves).

Darchangel posted:

IT's probably just a mistake, but yeah, even here in TX that poo poo is a no-go. There are mandated minimum time-between-shifts as well.

It would have been my first day after 3 days off, but yeah, my job description on my paystub is "Night Stocker".

It was a mistake though... he meant to put in an overnight job code for a different sub-department, but put it in as the daytime job code, so the computer flipped the start time to AM.

MomJeans420 posted:

Maybe this Anker one for $11?

Anker makes solid stuff.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I think his OP said he had the agreement in writing.

I mean, my paystub lists my job code as "Night Stocker", and my availability is set as 10pm-7am, but I don't have the job posting anymore. I can do afternoon shifts when needed, but when I brought it up with my manager today he said he will never schedule me for anything except overnights without checking with me first.

So day 3 of not taking one of my diabetes meds (glyburide) with my first or second meal of the day. Been watching my sugar, it's always in the 70s by the time I take lunch, and usually in the 80s when I finally leave. So all that exercise is doing a lot of good. Not gonna risk not taking it with dinner or on days off without talking to my doctor first (and a lot more monitoring than I normally do), though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

real edit: well drat, wish I'd seen that before ordering the CeraVu - I think we might even carry Badger Balm at work. I'll see if I can grab some tonight. They're both cheap enough that they're both worth trying, though TBH I'm more concerned with finding some decent gloves that still give some decent feeling (those should also keep the freezers from drying out my hands so bad). I'll probably hit up Horror Fright tomorrow and see what kind of mechanics-style gloves they have. Too tired to make the trek over there right now.

mariooncrack posted:

I like CeraVe. You may want to look into diabetes specific lotions though.

I don't have any complications - no neuropathy, no poor blood flow, A1c was at pre-diabetic levels during my last round of blood work, etc - I don't need (... or want) any diabetic-specific stuff beyond the medications that have been working well for me for several years, my glucose meter, a source of affordable test strips :argh:, and avoiding sugar. (sidenote: my insurance doesn't cover any name brand test strips... only Wal-Mart store brand supplies, only with an rX at that... and buying test strips online is super sketchy, you often get expired and/or overseas strips). If I'm gonna use store brand test supplies, I'm gonna get them from the store I work at (employee discount on store brands + they have a pretty high standard for their store brand stuff).

Looking at CeraVu now - which do you use, just the general lotion? Looks like they have a "therapeutic hand cream" as well. Hmmm.

fake edit: ah gently caress it, there's a 40% off deal if you choose subscribe and save (and I know you can cancel the subscription immediately after ordering). $5.49 to try out the hand cream. Worth a shot.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 15, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Happy birthday Tremek!

Now I see why they have such high turnover on overnight at my store.

Currently 11 overnighters. 5 motherfuckers called in, and it's father's day weekend, so we had a lot more crap than usual. A few produce and frontend people stayed to help, but there's only so much they can do - they don't know this side of the store (not that I know it super well myself, but I'm learning it). One cashier stayed until almost 3, one produce closer stayed until after 6am. It'd be nice if their regular pay got bumped to overnighter pay for the time they helped (most positions start at 12.75, overnight starts at 15.00), but I kinda doubt that'll happen. I didn't leave until 9ish... I was scheduled off at 6:30. I'm more than happy to take the extra hours, but my feet are killing me.

Suburban Dad posted:

*Movie promo voice*

STR is... Night stalker.

That's... what I put for my job description on Facebook. :v:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

HF has their Mechanix knockoffs in a cold weather version that might be worth a look. They're the blue ones. Cheap with a 20% coupon. I've got their leather-palmed gloves and I like them a lot.

I'll check them out, thanks!

... just not today. Scheduled 8 hours, worked 11, and did it on 4 hours of sleep. Fuuuuuck I'm tired, and my feet are killing me. Those arch support insoles can't get here soon enough.

I didn't work frozen today, worked grocery instead. And my hands are downright raw; gloves would have helped, at least on the laundry aisle (where most boxes get ripped open by hand instead of cutting through tape - super thick perforated cardboard).

revmoo posted:

What happened with Jalopnik? I have been getting a blank white page for >2 weeks when I visit.

Adblocker thing? If so RIP Jalopnik, I'm done.

Works fine for me, even with uBlock Origin. :shrug: Try clearing temp files and cookies?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

O keefes working hands is magic. Just don't get the yellow top, it's extra strength and burns like a motherfucker in cracks.

My hands are cracked to hell with a ton of cardboard cuts right now. Even washing my hands hurts right now. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 16, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moving my replies to retail chat over to the chat thread...

BlackMK4 posted:

Japan is absolutely filled with 7/11. Like every loving corner

They've been majority-owned by a Japanese company since 1991 (they, along with their Japanese franchisees, bailed them out of bankruptcy), so..... yeah, there's almost 21,000 stores in Japan alone. There's about 8,500 in the US.

Grakkus posted:

Scandinavia is also the only place I've seen outside of North America that has 7/11; in Denmark it doubles as the official public transport ticket vendor which is just baffling to me

They're in 22 countries.

Uthor posted:

Going to the grocery store in the middle of the night for "lunch" was fun, but God help you if you get in someone's way if they are trying to buy booze before the (local) 1 am cutoff.

in TX, for beer, it's midnight (except on Saturday night, then it's 1am). For actual booze.... 10am to 9pm, except on Sundays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day (no booze for you!). And then wine that's 17%+ falls under a different set of rules.

This is assuming you're not in a dry area. For several years Dallas was wet, but only in some areas. My last apartment was in Dallas, but that part of Dallas was "dry"; restaurants and bars could get around it by operating as a "private club" (bigtime air quotes here...). They'd have to swipe your state ID at the door on a repurposed credit card terminal, and have you sign a slip acknowledging you're entering a private club (restaurants could hold off until you ordered alcohol, bars had to do it at the door). I'm still not sure those parts of Dallas allow liquor stores yet.

For a time, one suburb I lived in was completely dry except for restaurants/bars - no off-premise sales. Another only allowed beer/wine in the southern half of the suburb.

Texas is weird.

When I was a cashier, the number of people trying to come through my line before noon on Sundays and throwing a temper tantrum when I couldn't sell them their alcohol was just absurd.

everdave posted:

Staying with my kids at my moms house a few days during summer vacation. The police just called they found my uncle, my moms little brother (60) dead in a crap hotel, dressed with his keys in his hand ready for work.

I want to rage and find the evil woman who hounded him and garnished his meager wages while she makes $12k a month and lives in luxury and has never allowed him to see his daughter. While he died penniless in a $200 a week hotel.

I don’t know how to help my mom through this, this is bad. She is on the way to pick up his worldly possessions, which fit in a suitcase.

gently caress. :glomp:

piss boner posted:

E/N rant time. Why can't I find an optometrist that will fill out a RX like I want? Tired of this getting treated like a child bullshit, I know what my script is but they are always trying to change it. The doc I saw got my PD wrong and I told them that but they basically said that I was wrong and they were right, the glasses made with their script was the worst I've had. My PD changed, really fucker? New optometrist today wanted to dialate me and was kinda upset when I said no, "we won't be able to complete the exam then...", well good, because I didn't want to be blind for a few hours today. Was told, yeah we'll give you what you want but it won't be exactly what you want. gently caress optometrists.

I got dilated by my opthamologist (yearly diabetic eye exam), even got the eyeball thumper thingy, but they didn't do an actual RX. So I'm going through this now with every optometrist I try to set up an appointment with, even though I have the paperwork from the opthamologist saying everything's peachy. :sigh:

Rhyno posted:

Food theft is a major issue in any place with a common fridge.

This is why I take an insulated lunch bag with a couple of ice packs to work, and put it in my locker. I don't trust shared fridges, especially when I bring leftovers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not my fault most people can't handle a little extra heat!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Guess it's a good thing I got the grocery store job. Main delivery gig got yanked out from under me (and my usual fallback one announced they're ceasing operations next week).

I spent 15 years (off and on) in food service; I'm never rude to restaurant employees, retail workers, etc, and I sure as hell don't harass them. I only did 2 deliveries today; one of them from a place where I'm on a first name basis with the managers and to-go staff. The other one I've never been to before, but it was a quick "Hi, I'm here to pick up a <delivery service> order for <name>", followed by "Thanks, have a good one!" when they handed me the order. I got "your session has expired" and couldn't log back in shortly after, and had that email waiting for me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 19, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed. Throw me in a cardboard box and toss me in with compost.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

No doubt. Funerals are among the most unethical businesses out there. Hiding under a cloak of caring while wanting to wring every last dime out of you at grotesque profit margins under the guise "don't they deserve it?" should give most people in that industry a special place in hell.

Did I ever mention I dated someone (briefly) that was going to mortuary school, and they actually did wind up working for one of the largest funeral home companies in the US?

Yeah.... they realized dead bodies weren't nearly as cool once they saw how much of a profit funeral homes are trying to make during one of the worst times of someone's life.

Elviscat posted:

STR: Thank gently caress you've got a W2 job now, at least you could pull unemployment if they pulled poo poo like that.

Unfortunately the W2 job is still part time (though I'm getting close to full time hours), but they did promise a conversion to full time fairly quickly. I wish I made a bit more, but the job has a pretty strong career path with a very well established company. And during my first interview, my now-boss was comfortable enough with me to tell me exactly how much I would cap out at, how much the next step up the ladder starts at, what the median pay is for that position, and what that position caps out at. So far, now-boss has been very approachable, though his comrade (other dept manager) is a little bit.... distant I guess? But I found out other dept manager had asked the rest of the dept to get my phone # the next time they saw me either shopping or working, so he can call me in easily when poo poo hits the fan (they don't have access to the HR systems late at night; they have a list of everyone's phone numbers in receiving for when poo poo really hits the fan).

The W2 job is also a large enough company that they're subject to all of the state and federal employment laws, and have actual HR and legal teams (they're huge - over 100,000 employees). I've also contracted for them before doing delivery, and even as a contractor, they were the best company to deal with out of all of the ones I've contracted with.

The poo poo hit the fan at home. GF is apparently in a very :quagmire: mood. I'm very much NOT in a sexytime mood, and just want to be left alone right now. She got really pissed when I finally dropped the "NO MEANS NO, DAMNIT" bit. :smith:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have they figured out how to reduce a human to hydrocarbons yet? Cook me down to a fuel additive and go do donuts.

So would the exhaust smell like your farts, the last thing you ate, or bacon?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

Perhaps you should drive a base model for maximum satisfaction.

The Accord Sport is available with 2.0T motor and a 6 speed and stickers for around $27k. That's an attractive car right now.

It's also quite a bit slower than the V6 that it replaced.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So... that's it? No explanation as to why they yanked my account? I suspect it got reinstated because I requested arbitration in my reply to their accusation (and I actually sent the formal request yesterday, via certified mail, per my contract), when they realized I don't go away without a fight.

My schedule is completely gone for the rest of the week, with no hours available. I have to pay rent next week.. :fuckoff: I can pick up shifts as people no-show for them (there's a 13 minute grace period; they become available for others to grab 14 minutes after they start), but that's only reliable for peak shifts.

The grocery store job doesn't pay a shitload, but at least they don't up and randomly suspend people.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 21, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

Speaking of dumb dogs.

How far did the brown trail go? (from the delivery driver :v:)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goo Gone, or WD40 with some rubbing.

Be ready to wash it IMMEDIATELY after. And hand wax the car afterwards. Both will strip the wax.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So with grocery store job, when I'm done with my stuff, I always ask them what else I can do to help out. Often it's "nothing man, you've done enough, clock out and go get some sleep!". I clock in ~10 minutes early and make sure I stay until at least my scheduled end time whenever possible (I've only been cut early once, and only by 15 minutes), because (a) EVERYONE on overnight clocks in at least 10 minutes early and (b) frozen in particular is so short handed that every minute counts (also C, I don't believe in clocking in on time or a little late unless it's absolutely unavoidable - I'm that rear end in a top hat that shows up 30 minutes early and reads in the car or break room). Today another manager walked up and asked where the other frozen dept overnighters went; they'd already left (15 minutes late; I was loading my cardboard into the bailer, and expected to clock out afterwards). "Have you clocked out yet?" me: "not yet, what's up?". Her: "if you want extra hours, could you go throw water and TP?" Yes, yes I can. Nobody had touched paper at all, water was almost done. Frozen is a sub-dept of grocery, regular grocery handles water and paper (3 of my 4 days every week are frozen). So while I sort of know my way around grocery, I'm most familiar with frozen.

Got an extra hour and a half today, putting me at 35.5 for the week (scheduled 32). Clocked out after I finished, was doing my weekly shopping out of uniform (since i'm off for a few days) (I learned quickly to wear a regular t-shirt under my uniform, so I can just peel off the uniform shirt once I clock out - timeclock is at the back of the store, nearest exit I can use is on the side of the store... it's 110k sq ft), ran into my boss. He asked if I'd be opposed to moving to full time in a couple of weeks. :hellyeah:

It'd mean I'd probably have to leave a little early on my last scheduled work day of the week to avoid OT (OT is verboten most of the time), and shave some minutes here and there, but it means I can get full benefits a lot sooner than I originally expected.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 23, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean... the pay isn't AMAZING, but for a grocery store, it pays pretty well for what the job is ($15/hr in Texas), and even if I remain PT, I start getting employee shares in the company after 1 year.

GF has been in her job for 14 years (also in retail), and makes about 25c an hour more than I do. She's at the top of her pay scale (with a little extra added on because she goes to other stores to train or fix fuckups). I'm at the bottom of mine (my position tops out at $18/hr; the next rung up the ladder pays 18-22/hr as an overnight lead). The company I'm working for was her "fallback" if she couldn't get transferred with big box store when she moved here. She's... uh, slightly jealous. Though there's no way she could handle the physical labor that stocking entails; I regularly lift cases of stuff that weigh as much as she does, sometimes with one hand. She also has this odd thing where she can't sweat (literally) - instead, her pulse skyrockets to 180+ when she gets overheated. :stare: I have to take a rag with me to wipe sweat off of my face all night. All other entry level positions in the store I'm at start at 12.75/hr (which is still pretty generous for, say, cart pushers and janitors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

My wife has trouble sweating, too - means she can’t handle heat very well at all, which also means my electric bill in summer is... more than it would be if it were just me in the house. Also, outdoor stuff like festivals as such are somewhat time-limited.
Me, I just sweat so much I get literally soaking wet (in fact, helping the MIL put new canopies on her patio gazebos right now - posting on a break - and it’s so stupid muggy and still right now, I’m dying here. Thunderstorms incoming, but no lovely outflow breeze yet.) I hate sweating this much, but it means I survive the heat. Would work way better in, say, AZ.

Yeah, our electric bill is paaaaainful, considering we're in a 1 bedroom apartment. She insists on keeping the thermostat at 68. I have it set to kick up to 71 when she's normally sleeping, but run the fan for 15 minutes every hour at night to keep it from getting too stuffy (she sleeps with the bedroom door closed; her cats can't be trusted not to, say, open every cabinet and empty the contents onto the floor when you're not looking for 10 seconds, so they're locked in the bedroom at night). Have it set to kick back down to 68 about the time her alarm clock goes off - I've found she bitches about it getting warm if it kicks down late enough that she can see the inside temp at 71, but otherwise doesn't complain. I have it set to bump up to 76 while she's at work, and kick down to 71 about 15 minutes before she gets home. I'm normally asleep from noon-7pm anyway, she gets home at 2:15ish. I just keep the bedroom ceiling fan on "helicopter trying to lift off during a severe storm" when I'm in bed, and have a tower fan for the living room + mancave ("office nook" on the floorplan).

They turn off the HVAC system at work when the store is closed - thankfully the store has really high ceilings, and I work in frozen, so I spend half the time poking my head and arms into freezers. It's miserable walking into the walk-in freezer though - my shirt immediately freezes from all the sweat (I think it's set to -20F?), my hair also freezes. When I help out on the dry goods side I wind up sweating my rear end off, even once the AC kicks back on around 5:30am.

everdave posted:

Good on you STR happy to hear.

Found an old can of bug & tar remover and I got the majority of it off after about 2 hours. Smelled like kerosene. Rinsed the car good will do a good clean and wax later this week, can’t while I’m out of town.

You need to at least wash it ASAP afterwards, unless you want the paint to start falling off. Ask me how I know.... or take a look at the driver's door or roof rails on my Saturn.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

STR: :buddy: that’s good to hear. Good for you, if it’s the same brand ‘employee owned’ store that is in Utah that sounds like an excellent place to land for a retail spot.

You're thinking of Winco, I think, which is a good company to work for (but doesn't pay as well). But it's not the same company (and we don't even have Winco here - they're in Dallas though). Texans will immediately know the company I'm talking about (hell this is enough for a lot of people to figure it out), but they're only in Texas and Mexico, with no plans to expand outside of either.

Hell, I'll just say it, some internet detective will figure it out after the above line anyway. The name of the company contains :butt:.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 24, 2019