Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You've got lots of stuff. Maybe you want less of it. Maybe you want to have other stuff instead. Like different stuff, or money, or some combination thereof.

This is a place to discuss stuff you don't want anymore.
Please note the operative word in that statement is DISCUSS.

Thou shalt post no actual transactions in this thread, punishable on pain ridicule and/or whatever Cyrano feels like doing to you for loving up

Also:
Please don't try to sell (or discuss selling) any illegal poo poo... Especially to a fed.

Perhaps you have heard of the TFR Classifieds Google Group. If you haven't, it is a place where transactions can happen! Go here and sign up: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tfrclassifieds
Please include your SA username so you can have a link between your name here and there. There's me and two managers on the group that are able to approve people, Ceros and Herr Togg. Please PM me here if your request has been pending, sometimes stuff gets lost in the email shuffle.

Here are the rules from the classifieds:

quote:

Welcome to the TFR classifieds.
Make good posts. Don't flame. Don't scam. Don't gently caress around, or you can be removed from the group. This is for buying and selling, discussion should be limited to relevant questions and offers. Do not ask for or offer anything illegal/sketchy. There will be no warnings, you will be banned.
Please set your display name to your SA name.

By default, if you reply to an email it will go directly to that person, so FFL/Shipping/money whatever should go via that method. If you want to use the web interface, the default "post reply" will go into the thread. You can alternatively pick "Reply to author" to direct it to the author of the post instead.

Generally, postings should be gun related somehow or other, buying/selling obvious gun stuff. Unless it starts to create problems, you can sell other random stuff too, if you really want to give TFR first crack at it. Let's keep that to a minimum though, this isn't the place to set up your used xbox game and pokemon card shop thread.

Ceros_X and Herr Togg are managers on the group, and can help with user administration tasks. Please ping one of us if you've got any issues.

Also it shouldn't have to be said, but holy loving poo poo if someone accidentally includes a phone number in their email signature when posting to the google group, please don't call them out of the blue to yell at them for some perceived slight or whatever the hell it was. You know who you are. Maybe also try to be careful about what info you send out to a Google Group containing (at time of this posting) 728 people.

In a shocking turn of events, there are other places where buying and selling gun poo poo and conducting full end to end transactions is acceptable, such as gunbroker, or the back of Javid's van. Please feel free to let us know about your one of a kind customized hi-point carbine you've modge poged with Zimbabwean $100,000,000,000 bills and hand engraved the lyrics to all the Johnny Cash song you know on the magazines (which might just be the misheard lyrics to "Ring of Fire" over and over). You've just listed it on gunbroker with no reserve and the link is here!

Avoid spamming the thread. If your living and/or side hustle is selling this sort of stuff, that's real neato, but this thread is not a marketing venue for Bob's Gun Cleaning Rods and Bad Dragon Consignment Emporium.
Avoid being an rear end in a top hat or a scammer or lovely. Avoid causing or participating in drama.

Should a bad transaction occur that happens to involve goons on both ends, I'm sorry, that really sucks. But this is not where the transaction happened, and is not the place to try to resolve it or call the other person out.

We've been without a thread remotely similar this for something like 7 years because of drama and bullshit from the last one. Please don't make it go away again.

Good posts:

quote:

Hey guys, I just listed my super sweet custom M91/30 sniper rifle on gunbroker, look at it here!

quote:

If anyone is interested in trading for the Zip 22 holster I made from genuine skunk leather a year ago, I just listed it on the TFR classifieds google group, check out my post there!

Bad posts:

quote:

Why haven't any of you bid on my super sweet custom M91/30 sniper rifle? It has been a day since I posted!

quote:

Why haven't any of you bid on my super sweet custom M91/30 sniper rifle? It has been 2 days since I posted!

quote:

Why haven't any of you fuckers bid on my super sweet custom M91/30 sniper rifle? It has been 3 days since I posted!

quote:

Why haven't any of you bid on my super sweet custom M91/30 sniper rifle? It has been 4 days since I posted!

quote:

Why haven't any of you bid on my super sweet custom M91/30 sniper rifle? It has been 5 days since I posted!

quote:

Why haven't any of you bid on my super sweet custom M91/30 sniper rifle? It has been 6 days since I posted!BUMP BYMP BUMP

quote:

PAYPAL F&F ME $3000 TO EVERYTHING@EVERYWHERE.COM FOR THE .50 BMG REVOLVER I FOUND BEHIND MY HOUSE LAST WEEK, EXTRA DISCOUNT IF YOU DON'T ASK QUESTIONS! IT IS NOT A CAT SKULL. WILL NOT SHIP TO KOMMIEFORNIA.

quote:

Hi boys and girls it's your favorite wild and wacky fun gun dealer comin' atcha for the week of June 3rd 2019 and BOY oh boy do I have some deals for you this time!!6!

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Good OP. I'll just add that the golden rule is to do any actual transactions somewhere that I don't have to be mod of. SA mart is a great place to dump all your non-gun poo poo that you're selling, and feel free to link that stuff here.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nice portion marking

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Tyro posted:

Nice portion marking

The unclassifieds

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

I like turtles posted:

The unclassifieds

This thread for official use only

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Tyro posted:

Nice portion marking

Indeed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Question -

Would it be acceptable to let people give this thread a bump when new stuff goes up on the google classifieds? I always forget they exist, and have missed out on some buys because of it.

I'm looking at you, TLR-1 I didn't need but surely would have bought.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Captain Log posted:

Question -

Would it be acceptable to let people give this thread a bump when new stuff goes up on the google classifieds? I always forget they exist, and have missed out on some buys because of it.

I'm looking at you, TLR-1 I didn't need but surely would have bought.

I'd change your Google groups setting to email you when new stuff is posted - it isn't that much stuff usually.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Ceros_X posted:

I'd change your Google groups setting to email you when new stuff is posted - it isn't that much stuff usually.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iíll just add that if the person tossing their poo poo in google want to say as much here, thatís cool. We donít need a regular digest of everyoneís crap but if youíre tossing some stuff up I have no problem with a heads up.

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

My question falls somewhere between this thread and the newbie question thread, but seems like this thread could use some exercise. I have a High Standard Duramatic I don't want any more. How do I get rid of it? I've never sold a gun before.

Do I take it to a gun show? A pawn shop? Are there sites that let you sell without an FFL (I let my FFL 03 expire)? I've seriously thought about a police buyback because I just don't know how to do this.

Compounding the problem of my ignorance is that it's not valuable, rare, or all that interesting. It's not in great condition. It's always had some feeding problems despite my best efforts. What I'm saying is I don't think anyone is going to leap to buy it.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

ought ten posted:

My question falls somewhere between this thread and the newbie question thread, but seems like this thread could use some exercise. I have a High Standard Duramatic I don't want any more. How do I get rid of it? I've never sold a gun before.

Do I take it to a gun show? A pawn shop? Are there sites that let you sell without an FFL (I let my FFL 03 expire)? I've seriously thought about a police buyback because I just don't know how to do this.

Compounding the problem of my ignorance is that it's not valuable, rare, or all that interesting. It's not in great condition. It's always had some feeding problems despite my best efforts. What I'm saying is I don't think anyone is going to leap to buy it.

Where are you located? Assuming you're in a free state you can sell on local/regional forums, arfcom, rimfire forums, etc, on armslist, at a gun show, a pawn shop, a gun shop, on the TFR classifieds, or on gunbroker. Doing local face to face is probably the easiest if there aren't any rules against it, just exercise common sense and try not to get robbed/murdered over a beat up high standard.

If you sell to someone you need to ship to (aka someone who isn't a resident of the state you are a resident in), it needs to go to an FFL in their state. There are two options:
Take it to a local FFL who can handle the outbound shipping for you. I would expect outbound transfer and shipping for a little gun like that to be like $30-$40 depending where you are.
or
If the receiving FFL accepts shipments from random people, send it yourself. You can't ship it via USPS (but an FFL can). You can ship it via UPS or FEDEX or DHL or whomever you like. Their policy is that it has to go overnight.

Shipping a beat up .22, if you're paying for it, is going to eat up a lot of your sales price. Sell locally if you can. Unless you actively desire to no longer own it, having a little beater .22 isn't the worst thing in the world, even if you never shoot it again. Give it to a friend or family member who would enjoy it.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 11, 2019

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

ought ten posted:

If you want to deal - sell it to someone locally or on the net including GB.

If you don't want to deal - Find a local gun store that sells guns on consignment for 15-20%. It's completely worth it.

Given it's a Duramatic in not great shape it's worth maybe $250, on the high side. I'd just drop it off somewhere and wait for the check.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ought ten posted:

What state you live in is going to make a big difference on this question.

But be aware, if you do decide to go sell to a gun store or pawn shop you're looking at getting about half of its actual value at best. Consignment would be better if you could find a place that does it.

If you sell online (assuming it's legal for you to do so in your state) it makes life a lot easier to find a FFL that's willing to do shipping for a price. They get better deals on shipping and don't have to overnight guns (which will majorly eat into your funds!).

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 11, 2019

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

Thanks all. I'm in Maine so gun laws are loose. I'll check out regional/local forums and see if I can find a buyer nearby.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chances are the feeding problem can also be fixed by fiddling with the mag lips . I just unfucked a very similar High Standard pistol that way.

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Chances are the feeding problem can also be fixed by fiddling with the mag lips . I just unfucked a very similar High Standard pistol that way.

Thatís right, I remember you mentioned that long ago. Any resources you suggest or just trial and error?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I used a device like this to correct a similar problem with my old high standard Victor https://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Adj...s/dp/B00HUUG4JO

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

I used a device like this to correct a similar problem with my old high standard Victor https://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Adj...s/dp/B00HUUG4JO

Yep. Exact tool I used. A friendly goon lent me his.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I am unloading a poo poo ton of gear on ArfCom. I may put it on the TFR group after I'm done but right now it is ARFCOM. I'll probably edit as I add more poo poo. $5 flat rate shipping.

Knights Armament Co Vertical Foregrip - $15
Grip Pod Systems spring loaded bipod grip - $45
Blackhawk! Coyote tan bungee sling - $15

Leatherman MUT (EOD version) - $78 shipped

Dawson Precision G34.5 Fiber Optic sights - $38

Larue MBT $75
Magpul MOE Grip - $12
Magpul K2+ Grip - $15
A2 Grip - $2 lol

Bootleg BCG - $165
Aero Precision 7.5" Factory Upper $300 stripped, $390 with BCG and CH

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 23, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Is this the appropriate thread to ask for opinions on how much to ask for a thing? I don't buy and sell much, just don't want to get hosed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No particular reason not to but you might have better luck asking in the thread for discussing whatever the thing is.

kiwiflare
Aug 2, 2017

ought ten posted:

Thanks all. I'm in Maine so gun laws are loose. I'll check out regional/local forums and see if I can find a buyer nearby.

Where about in Maine are you? I just moved to Saco

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Will the person who e-mailed me about two guns at my gmail address drop me another line with a better email address? I don't know if it's a proxy problem or what but my replies do not seem to seem to be getting through. Or you can drop me a PM here. Thanks!

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I feel terribly dumb but how do I actually join this group? The link just brings me to a blank group page that comes up with "You do not have permission to access this content. (#418)" and I don't see any buttons to request or anything.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

punch drunk posted:

I feel terribly dumb but how do I actually join this group? The link just brings me to a blank group page that comes up with "You do not have permission to access this content. (#418)" and I don't see any buttons to request or anything.

Google changed some stuff around, if you PM me your email I can manually invite you

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Just to clarify, posting a link to an Armlist post in this thread is kosher, right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yup

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Alright, if any of you are in Albuquerque, NM, and are in the market for a lightly used pistol, get in touch.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/10331...s-w-m-p-2-0-9mm

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

That reminds me -

I've got a knife auction on Ebay for a pretty nice chef knife. It's only at $9 + shipping right now. If a goon buys it, there will be weird nerd goodies shipped with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183910948822

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Captain Log posted:

That reminds me -

I've got a knife auction on Ebay for a pretty nice chef knife. It's only at $9 + shipping right now. If a goon buys it, there will be weird nerd goodies shipped with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183910948822

Oh that's nice, I've kinda been looking for a smaller, less sacred knife than the 10" my father gave to me, to haul around if I'm cooking at the beach house or something.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

Oh that's nice, I've kinda been looking for a smaller, less sacred knife than the 10" my father gave to me, to haul around if I'm cooking at the beach house or something.

We should probably talk in the knife thread, but I can help recommend good knives that are "use in a pro kitchen" quality.

Victorinox/Forschner (however it's spelled) are the best bang for your buck. The knife I'm auctioning is a great knife, but I got tired of using a knife that was kept by a person who loathed me. Scottish Grandpa was a dick.

I actually will likely have some more cooking knives put up soon-ish, I'll keep the forums updated.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

This being a thread of people who sell things online, I figure it's as good as any a place to ask:

Anybody have experience successfully shipping a used laptop? No original box or packing materials for me to use. I'm just hand-me-downing a functional beater laptop to somebody who needs it, but I'd still like it to arrive in a usable state.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

This being a thread of people who sell things online, I figure it's as good as any a place to ask:

Anybody have experience successfully shipping a used laptop? No original box or packing materials for me to use. I'm just hand-me-downing a functional beater laptop to somebody who needs it, but I'd still like it to arrive in a usable state.

The one thing I do know - if it has a battery, put the correct label on the box.

Today, my box to Ruger with my LCP in it got rejected. Not for being a pistol, bu for incorrect stickers. They are sticklers about stickers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Javid posted:

You can get foam padded laptop shipping boxes. Here's one I found online pretty quickly. It's $12 on Prime. https://www.amazon.com/HOUSTON-FOAM...ASIN=B00TP2PYEG

I'm assuming if you spent more time than I did you could find something better or cheaper.

Alternatively get a box that more or less fits the laptop you are shipping and put poo poo around it to protect it. It probably doesn't need to be encased in foam like it's a fabrege egg, but just poo poo to make sure it doesn't bounce around and get hosed up. Think firm but light (to save on shipping weight issues). Wadded up newspaper is my first thought.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

You can buy huge rolls of bubble wrap.

I recommend it whether you're shipping things or not.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

You can buy huge rolls of bubble wrap.

I recommend it whether you're shipping things or not.

I tend to hoard it when I order things so I have plenty.

Laying a sheet of the stuff on a sidewalk and rolling over it with a skateboard at a decent speed is a pretty great noisemaker.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Cyrano4747 posted:

Alternatively get a box that more or less fits the laptop you are shipping and put poo poo around it to protect it. It probably doesn't need to be encased in foam like it's a fabrege egg, but just poo poo to make sure it doesn't bounce around and get hosed up. Think firm but light (to save on shipping weight issues). Wadded up newspaper is my first thought.

I work in shipping and we do this for intercompany beater laptops. So far so good. Also, ditto on the stickers tip.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Listed some stuff on gunbroker. For goons, I'll do free shipping and if you hit BIN I'll sell to you at the opening bid price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/searc...deSellers=78230

Edit: I will also send you swag that will confuse your FFL.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Listed some stuff on gunbroker. For goons, I'll do free shipping and if you hit BIN I'll sell to you at the opening bid price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/searc...deSellers=78230

Edit: I will also send you swag that will confuse your FFL.

I thought that HK was a HiPoint and got excited.

«3 »