Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Good OP. I'll just add that the golden rule is to do any actual transactions somewhere that I don't have to be mod of. SA mart is a great place to dump all your non-gun poo poo that you're selling, and feel free to link that stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iíll just add that if the person tossing their poo poo in google want to say as much here, thatís cool. We donít need a regular digest of everyoneís crap but if youíre tossing some stuff up I have no problem with a heads up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chances are the feeding problem can also be fixed by fiddling with the mag lips . I just unfucked a very similar High Standard pistol that way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

I used a device like this to correct a similar problem with my old high standard Victor https://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Adjustment-Tool-Standard-Magazines/dp/B00HUUG4JO

Yep. Exact tool I used. A friendly goon lent me his.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No particular reason not to but you might have better luck asking in the thread for discussing whatever the thing is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yup

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Javid posted:

This being a thread of people who sell things online, I figure it's as good as any a place to ask:

Anybody have experience successfully shipping a used laptop? No original box or packing materials for me to use. I'm just hand-me-downing a functional beater laptop to somebody who needs it, but I'd still like it to arrive in a usable state.

You can get foam padded laptop shipping boxes. Here's one I found online pretty quickly. It's $12 on Prime. https://www.amazon.com/HOUSTON-FOAM...ASIN=B00TP2PYEG

I'm assuming if you spent more time than I did you could find something better or cheaper.

Alternatively get a box that more or less fits the laptop you are shipping and put poo poo around it to protect it. It probably doesn't need to be encased in foam like it's a fabrege egg, but just poo poo to make sure it doesn't bounce around and get hosed up. Think firm but light (to save on shipping weight issues). Wadded up newspaper is my first thought.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is that mosin sniper built up off a repro scope of all original? Because if itís original youíre low. Like,$200 below what they were imported at a few years back.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol. Was yours actually in spec?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

duckduckgo is my go-to in general these days and they return gun poo poo just fine. The old line used to be to use Bing to search for gun poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Thanks. Used the duck search. Got 1000 rounds for $154 after shipping and taxes. Thanks

As an added benefit they' don't harvest information about you and try to link it to a profile. They're basically the privacy advocate's response to Google (at least as far as searches go).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Is it ok to open up to PMs ITT? Say hypothetically I have some bone stock AR furniture I want to offload.

Sure, but with the caveat that it has to be a not actual firearm.

That said we donít read your PMs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

It is tough. On the one hand, it was my dadís. But we donít really have any memories around the gun. He never shot it as far as I know, and I only shot it a couple times when he first got it. I havenít shot it since like 1991. And to me, thatís a big part of it. I never buy guns just to be safe queens. I buy guns to shoot them. I feel bad shooting this one because it is so rare. I do have other dad guns that I enjoy shooting, like the P7M8. So the ASP seems like a lot of money tied up that could go toward bills or emergency fund or down payment on a new car, which is probably going to be a thing in the next year or so.

Let me preface this by saying you know your finances best, do what you need to do, etc.

If you sell it (and from what youíre saying that sounds like itís probably a decent idea) you might consider setting the money aside as dedicated gun cash. Is there anything you actually want? Some bizarre .357 sig monstrosity that youíve never been able to bring yourself to splurge on? Some class you want to take but never could justify spending money on?

Personally I try to keep my gun money separate from other finances. When I have expenses gun poo poo gets put on hold but, but everything stays put. It helps me avoid drawing down my hobby to cover day to day stuff. I mean if it was life or death medical bills Iíd sell it all but absent that I donít want to put myself in a position where I canít rebuild.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GB I guess?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I like turtles posted:

Basically, yes, post gun stuff from your ebays if you like. Try to avoid being overly obnoxious. If you make up a plurality of the posts on any given page or collection of pages mentioning your ebay stuff, maybe pump the brakes a bit.

Unless Cyrano has different feelings on the matter.

Just use your brain and some common sense. If youíre annoyingly and someone asks you to chill, chill. Otherwise just post.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

Just put up an as-new-in-box IAI Automag III (.30 Carbine pistol) on gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885894969

Also I love the scare quotes around "SAFETY WARNINGS"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

And you're selling it because it's not in .357 SIG, admit it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lots of the .40S&W guns you'll see are cheap ex-cop guns because of departments moving off .40. That means they tend to be a bit cheaper than normal.

Here are my rules of thumb for a basically NIB (lightly used) gun:

You're going to get about 80% of the price of a new one selling it in general. Gunbroker or face to face with someone you meet on a forum etc.

You're going to get about 30-40% of the price of a new one selling it to a gun shop or a pawn shop.

Now where things get odd right now is that gun prices are kind of nuts due to everyone buying anything they can get. Still, assume you'll get about 30-50% of what you could get for it from a person if you sell it to a shop.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ddogflex posted:

Anyone got any tips on what I should do with 1000 rounds of wolf 762x39 I got for free? I don't have anything that fires it. Normally I would get a cheap SKS or so, because it would be worth less than the ammo itself, but not really an option currently.

Sell it. Ideally locally to avoid shipping.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ddogflex posted:

I've never sold ammo before, what marketplace would you suggest?

Wherever you sell poo poo normally except eBay. Local Facebook group, Craigís list (I think they still allow ammo), arms list has local listings iirc.

Alternatively just put it in gunbroker and deal with hazard materials shipping.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Godholio posted:

Quoting his email address isn't doing him any favors.

Admin Powers Activate!

Form of - edit!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ashrik posted:

Guys it was already edited to a fake e-mail address in the quote lol

lol. Oh well, doesn't hurt and I didn't want someone's email left out in the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ceros_X posted:

Guess you didn't have your coffee again eh

But real talk, if you care Cyrano, there are quite a few people who didn't edit them out in this thread. I like throwing out virtual chaff for doxxers, myself. Also making up dumb email addresses.

Yeah maybe it's silly but PII is one of those places where I error on the side of caution, especially when it's not my info.

I went back and whacked what I saw, but if anyone spots something I missed hit me and I'll clean it up.