Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Mother effer was that the season finale???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
That was remarkable....so I'm gonna remark on it.

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that was the season finale. What sort of massive cock block is that??? If this doesn't get a season 2.....

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I feel there's a reason they made the undertaker look like the dude from the Arnolfi Wedding portrait, but damned if I know why.

Donny provoking New Leaf to get to the gun was fantastic.

Also, real Paul and his Kung Fu was a great turn around.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I have two episodes left of Patriot. The second season is good but in a very different way. I am bummed out about the show ending though. Has Conrad done anything similar that I should watch? Or should I just re-watch Patriot and Perpetual Grace like I was already planning?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Octy posted:

I have two episodes left of Patriot. The second season is good but in a very different way. I am bummed out about the show ending though. Has Conrad done anything similar that I should watch? Or should I just re-watch Patriot and Perpetual Grace like I was already planning?

I'm not sure any of his films match his TV work, but I'd say The Weather Man with Nic Cage is worth a watch and operates on the same tone and themes.

It's ridiculous that Amazon didn't market Patriot into more of a success given it's probably the best show a streaming service has put out and has so much cult appeal. I have Prime Video and actually held off for quite a while because I misread it as some jingoistic Tom Clancy horseshit, and I still ended up becoming a relatively early fan because it was so slow to get noticed. Perpetual Grace I think suffered a bit comparatively where it felt more overtly like the plotting was being stalled or doubled back on, but it was still very charming and I'll be pretty steamed if it doesn't get picked up.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation. Just what I needed on a Friday night and I'm not ashamed to say I like Nicolas Cage.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Resurrecting to note Steven Conrad's out with a new series called Ultra City Smiths. A lot of the Perpetual Grace Ltd. cast is returning for it, and it's got a lot of the same humor Patriot and PGL has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPtY8Es3Png

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

The World Inferno posted:

Resurrecting to note Steven Conrad's out with a new series called Ultra City Smiths. A lot of the Perpetual Grace Ltd. cast is returning for it, and it's got a lot of the same humor Patriot and PGL has.

Sucks that Patriot ended way too early.....and PGL is looking like it is going to end before it's time too.

Bright side is that people with the checkbooks seem to think pretty highly of Conrad. Getting a third show this quickly is pretty impressive considering the first two will both be done after two seasons.

Not sure what to think about the stop motion.....but after Patriot and PGL.....there's zero reason to doubt anything that Conrad is involved in. Plus.....the list of folks lending their voices to UCS is impressive.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Not sure what to think about the stop motion.....but after Patriot and PGL.....there's zero reason to doubt anything that Conrad is involved in. Plus.....the list of folks lending their voices to UCS is impressive.

I think he's been wanting do a stop motion thing for a while, when he was on Harmontown he mentioned that he'd started writing the 3rd season of Patriot and one episode was Rankin/Bass style stop motion.

Anyone who hasn't listened to his episode of Harmontown should check it out, he talks about Patriot a lot and he's very funny and charming. It's what convinced me to check out the show originally.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The World Inferno posted:

Just watched the first episode knowing nothing about it other than Conrad created it and it's bizarre and crazy so far. Gonna go get me a back scratch

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Sucks that Patriot ended way too early.....and PGL is looking like it is going to end before it's time too.

Bright side is that people with the checkbooks seem to think pretty highly of Conrad. Getting a third show this quickly is pretty impressive considering the first two will both be done after two seasons.

Perpetual Grace Ltd. is probably dead:

quote:

On January 30, 2020, it was announced by Epix that the series was not renewed for a second season, but was planned to conclude with a limited run. However, Conrad stated, "under these terms, never going to happen".

That quibble makes it sound like Epic is bad at negotiating or communication, neither of which looks good.

It's at least nice that Conrad seems to re-use the same folks, and seems to have established a good enough reputation that he's attracting big names for small roles.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ultra City Smiths is fuckin awesome

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gotta say, I think Ultra City Smiths is the first 'miss' for me from Conrad. Love the world, the characters, and general situations, but JEEZ are the 20 minute episodes killing it.

There just isn't any time to dig into the characters. The first episodes were centered so much on the detective character and the wrestling lady that I'm doing whiplash seeing the past two move them into the background in favor of Pecker and his wife. Some scenes are only what feel like 10 seconds, which makes it frustrating when they spend a minute on an awkward banter joke elsewhere.

Really bummed out the next episode is the last, as I only feel a fleeting understanding of most of the cast, let alone actual knowledge of the mystery at the core of the show. The ones who have gotten a focus are great (Newspaper pants boy, my heart), but so many other's feel half-baked because their scenes have been so short.

Will definitely check out whatever he makes next, but hope it doesn't feel this truncated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Last episode of the season didn't really save it. The payoff that the main character was the baby fell super flat, I honestly thought they had already said he was that. And it doesn't really relate to any of the currently live plot threads – the bank robbery, little grace meeting her dad, what Carpenter Smith said to all his children, etc.

The constant refrain that Carpenter was going to "clean up the city" while never explaining what that meant really sucked too. Is it really as thin as "he was going to stop bad things therefore he had to go"? Just all the bad things? No specific one?

Who was the red jumpsuit person? Does that matter at all?

At least the cliffhanger of Perpetual Grace was a resolution into itself. The astronaut running to meet his son is great, as is the handsome ranger finally realizing who the guy was. This... just answered the least interesting of the show's questions and left everything else up in the air.

I hope it gets another season, as I love the characters. Just wish we were getting more of them and seeing something more coherent.