Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's very annoying that you only get one save. I have to abandon my log because I want to try some stuff out.

Anyway, I want to test if it's possible to link with one of the other statues instead of the museum one. I'm trying to do the geyser skip, then I'll do a manual sun station landing and see what happens if I get close to that unlinked statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bedshaped posted:

It's very annoying that you only get one save. I have to abandon my log because I want to try some stuff out.

Creating a new profile allows you to keep your existing save. Are you playing on PC?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nth Doctor posted:

Creating a new profile allows you to keep your existing save. Are you playing on PC?

PC, yes. I already deleted my second attempt to 100% the log but I didn't get so far so I might look into backing up the files next time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
report back because I'm pretty sure ain't nothing going to happen besides whatever ending you always get by not linking up in museum. My first play through I died before linking up and had to redo everything lol

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I would give it a very small probability of working. The scripted event has special cutscenes and subsequent dialog. From a programming perspective, it would be far more difficult to make it work with the other statues than to force the scripted event in its one location.

That said, they did go through the effort of making multiple endings for some scenarios the average player would be very unlikely to trigger, so who knows?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Bedshaped posted:

PC, yes. I already deleted my second attempt to 100% the log but I didn't get so far so I might look into backing up the files next time.

You didn't need to do that at all.

On the main menu, select the Switch Profile option:

Then Create New Profile:

and presto: you get a new save all ready to go. You can switch back to your original profile from the Profile Management screen.

This was how I did the Beginner's Luck achievement

Edits: added the last line and timg'd the huge images.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 10, 2022

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

You can definitely have multiple save files on PC. I have something like three or four. You can switch profiles through the main menu.
e: Beaten with a better explanation.

I doubt the other statues are programmed to do anything, since you need exploits to even get to them first, but there's an easier one to get to in the Statue Workshop. Inside the workshop itself, I mean, not the one Gabbro linked with outside. Are you going to talk to Hornfels first and platform out through the quantum shard exhibit, or just go straight to space?

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Finally finished Echoes of the Eye after taking a long break way back in Sept/Oct when I took a break after a couple sessions of not finding anything and my theories going nowhere. Must have spent hours jetpacking and poking around. Came back and things fell into place, figured it out. Great stuff, lots of really cool moments only mildly tempered by frustration. :coolfish:

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Superrodan posted:

Yes, you can do that but it's not even remotely required.

I'm a bit late, but yeah, although the solution on kbm is to coast and not touch W at all, it's SO much easier with a controller, it's not even funny. I got eaten so many loving times even while coasting just because the angle I entered at was SLIGHTLY off and I'd run into one of them or something. Just frustrating knowing that if you were on controller it'd take 5 seconds.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't you come out of portals at a fixed speed and direction?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dabir posted:

Don't you come out of portals at a fixed speed and direction?

that's the theory but in practice it can be a little bit off in speed, direction, or both. Weird Floating Point Bullshit i guess

i imagine i'm not the only one who's rammed full-speed into (DLC)the Stranger because the transition didn't quite work right. scared the poo poo out of me but in retrospect it was pretty funny

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah controller with analog controls is easy mode for that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ciaphas posted:

that's the theory but in practice it can be a little bit off in speed, direction, or both. Weird Floating Point Bullshit i guess

i imagine i'm not the only one who's rammed full-speed into (DLC)the Stranger because the transition didn't quite work right. scared the poo poo out of me but in retrospect it was pretty funny

yeah out of the 100 times i jetted off to that location at full throttle, i distinctly recall getting hosed and knocked over and jettisoned entirely away like three times. my copilot watching said it was prob just because i hit an awning or something but idk

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The anglerfish won't wake up even if you crash directly into them, as long as you don't make any noise.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

yeah out of the 100 times i jetted off to that location at full throttle, i distinctly recall getting hosed and knocked over and jettisoned entirely away like three times. my copilot watching said it was prob just because i hit an awning or something but idk
I think that is what it is when you crash on entering the area, but it's probably not supposed to happen. I think it's affected by accelerating over the transition? I'm not sure, it seems to happen less when you stop accelerating a while before you hit it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm 90% sure that happens because at the moment of entry one of the rotating solar arrays happens to be directly in front of the insertion point and that's what you're crashing into

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Joseph anderson is going to play echoes of the eye tomorrow https://twitch.tv/andersonjph

imhotep fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 26, 2022

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

EOTE:
Has anyone figured out the minimum log entries needed to get the full story of the Nomai in the video you show the Prisoner?

I've been experimenting with sequence breaking to skip starting the 22 minute timer, free the Prisoner, meet Solanum, and get to the Eye on a single loop.

If I'm able, I would love to tell the Prisoner the whole story, too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The centre of the Interloper and the mural showing the Vessel in Brittle Hollow should have you covered.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Can you even leave the interloper's core alive?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

GuavaMoment posted:

Can you even leave the interloper's core alive?

Yes, you can. Once you go up through the crack, you have a degree of control through the tubes you slid down from the second big room.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

SirSamVimes posted:

The centre of the Interloper and the mural showing the Vessel in Brittle Hollow should have you covered.

This totally worked! Thanks!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nth Doctor posted:

EOTE:
Has anyone figured out the minimum log entries needed to get the full story of the Nomai in the video you show the Prisoner?

I've been experimenting with sequence breaking to skip starting the 22 minute timer, free the Prisoner, meet Solanum, and get to the Eye on a single loop.

General question: when you skip starting the timer, how does the game handle things like the sand flowing on the Hourglass Twins? I’m curious how you’re getting the warp core from the Ash Twin Project to get to the Eye, which you can ordinarily only do about 10 minutes into the loop.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

blastron posted:

General question: when you skip starting the timer, how does the game handle things like the sand flowing on the Hourglass Twins? I’m curious how you’re getting the warp core from the Ash Twin Project to get to the Eye, which you can ordinarily only do about 10 minutes into the loop.

My plan for that is to go back and get the launch codes starting the timer once I've met The Prisoner and Solanum

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

blastron posted:

General question: when you skip starting the timer, how does the game handle things like the sand flowing on the Hourglass Twins?
It just doesn't start. I think Brittle Hollow never breaks either.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nth Doctor posted:

EOTE:

Joseph anderson does it at the end here somewhere towards the end of stream 3. He also goes to the vessel tho, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultevcFIulk

Also I found a bunch of cool concept art for echoes of the eye on art station https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qQZX2N

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NxnkA5

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WKRkAX

I think there’s more than this even, if you search echoes of the eye on art station you’ll find it

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 13, 2022

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

bop bop perano posted:

Joseph anderson does it at the end here somewhere towards the end of stream 3. He also goes to the vessel tho,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultevcFIulk

Thank you for this, I went ahead and watched his base game and DLC playthroughs. The base game playthrough was worth it, IMO.
I'm annoyed at how much of the DLC he skipped and refused to go back and check out. Especially when he gripes about open questions that the content he skipped could answer. Even moreso that he refused to go back to the Eye after meeting both The Prisoner and Solanum.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Videogames is playing EotE on his Twitch and it's just absolutely delightful watching how quickly he catches onto stuff. It's also cool seeing the updates to some of the more esoteric solutions to make them clearer.

Anyone got any good stream recs for the DLC? Watching people experience that initial sequence of satellite angle -> what is that -> what is THAT -> holy gently caress what is this -> dam bursting is my favourite hobby.

Honestly, the timing on the dam breaking the first time is one of my favourite pieces of game design ever. Waiting for the satellite angle means that it's well underway by the time the player gets in and dropping them directly down in a boat means they're unlikely to spend a lot of time scrutinising the area around them and see it leaking. Instead they're going to head to the first little village area and explore for a few minutes until they get swept away, every time. I've seen multiple people caught out directly on the bridge which makes me wonder if they made a specific effort to try time it that way.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The Joseph Anderson streams were pretty amazing for echoes.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Organza Quiz posted:

Anyone got any good stream recs for the DLC? Watching people experience that initial sequence of satellite angle -> what is that -> what is THAT -> holy gently caress what is this -> dam bursting is my favourite hobby.

There's a guy named Bricky who did a good playthrough around the time it came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Abqi2faGoo

Not too familiar with his stuff besides that but his playthrough was one of the best I saw at the time. It can be kind of frustrating to watch people play games like this when you already know all the solutions and you're seeing someone fail to pick up on the hints. His run was the best I saw in terms of actually paying attention to everything and using all the knowledge presented to keep making steady progress.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Annapurna is planning to release a free "upgrade" of the game for PS5/Xbone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLsGviaDhIg

Alas, no update for the Switch release yet.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Does anyone have any recommendations for blind playthroughs with which I can vicariously relive my first experiences as this game is uniquely unreplayable? I've already watched Melonz and Joseph Anderson.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Have you seen SA’s own Video Games’ run? https://m.twitch.tv/videogamessa/home I loved it, personally.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I recommend CarlSagan42's run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxowWUanj64

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for blind playthroughs with which I can vicariously relive my first experiences as this game is uniquely unreplayable? I've already watched Melonz and Joseph Anderson.

I'm a fan of Holly Hollowtones' playthrough, if you don't mind what are basically just unedited multi-hour recordings of Twitch streams. It also has someone who has already played the game co-commentating, who takes a very hands-off approach to avoid spoiling Holly's playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEOx-P2tTNs

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SirSamVimes posted:

I randomly hit Bricky's LP of Echoes of the Eye, and I'm enjoying it so far. He's smart enough to pick up what the game's putting down, and often has neat theories that make complete sense based on the information he has. I presume his playthrough of the base game is similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPWtsqArM-M

Otherwise seconding Hollowtones, and our own Jade Star streamed it as intermissions from XCOM 2, with GuavaMoment alongside as the experienced co-commentator. Pretty good, if you can stand him constantly pronouncing Nomai as Naomi. He is aware and is doing it to torment. e: Also he has a camera pointed at his cat that he switches to occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deq7XIX_rWg

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All of this is appreciated. I had actually dismissed the carlsagan guy when browsing because of the terminal case of Youtuber Face that his Outer Wilds thumbnails have.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am really humbled by your posts, Mastajake and Organza Quiz.

I had been letting the DLC settle for a while before I returned here to post about it but it was so touching to see you recommend and enjoy my gaming :)

I have had this whole DLC at the forefront of my mind lately because I am playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I see its DNA within Outer Wilds but so many generations removed.

I waited to play Echoes until this year just because the experience of the base game was such a highlight I was genuinely worried to tarnish it. It sounds silly but the whole of the base game was something that, as I posted tons about here, had me on a whole different level to how I usually play and feel about games.

My fears were unnecessary. This DLC is probably the best DLC I have ever played - managing to meaningfully impact the main game while acting as a complete standalone. It does not matter what this team does, it excels at whatever is being attempted.

I fell in love with the game again - head over heels. And after beating the DLC was convinced to play through the main game one more time. I was concerned because I could barely remember what to do but luckily, despite an issue getting the balls in the ship to work, I managed to immediately redo the whole of the base game in time for an even more touching ending.

I was in tears again, a complete wreck. There has not been a game that I can think of that pierces my heart the way this one does. I adore it. :shobon:

This DLC was inventive and incredible. Learning about this new species and the sadness of what happened to them was a mystery that unfolded in just the right way. They were not good but also not bad. Their misguided fears caused them to doom the Nomai but it was unintentional. I feel a little sorry for them. The smart stuff with the digital world was awesome. I accidentally did one of the glitches way earlier in the game before learning about them and thought I had broken it. The timeloop ran out at that moment so I just accepted I got lucky that the game did not need a restart. Wonderfully silly moment :)

This DLC and its base game is one of the masterpieces of video games and evidence that they can be art. I love everything about it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The DLC is really excellent overall but imo it has a hump in the middle that comes after the initial joy of discovering and exploring the ringworld fades and before you truly understand the dark world. There's this period of fumbling around where you don't realise that each dark world segment has one specific goal so you think you're looking all over for clues like you do with every new area in the game, and the game just isn't giving you any. It feels like you're missing something and it's frustrating and weakens the enjoyment until you think to peek at the light when you attempt to open the vault. Once you do that and it gives you a puzzle to solve which leads to tangible goals which lead to you understanding the nature of the dark world the DLC goes back to being great, but there is definitely a rough patch there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Luneshot posted:

I'm a fan of Holly Hollowtones' playthrough, if you don't mind what are basically just unedited multi-hour recordings of Twitch streams. It also has someone who has already played the game co-commentating, who takes a very hands-off approach to avoid spoiling Holly's playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEOx-P2tTNs

this has been a really fun watch. holly's laugh is real infectious :3: