Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The enemy is not the angler fish

It is yourself :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Chev posted:

Also whenever you go through a gate in that zone your speed will be set to a constant, ie when you go through a gate that drops you in a fish-rich zone you don't have to touch anything, you can just wait until you're clear of the fishes. Also as a last resort you can use your probe as a decoy. But Dark Bramble's main challenge is really just being able to just wait through the fishes and resist the urge to touch your thruster controls.

I didn't know that. I thought I had to go through that gate as fast as possible then immediately stop all engine activity until I had drifted to the source of the red light. It definitely always felt like I lost a lot of speed so that makes sense in retrospect. I was 3 for 3 doing that strategy.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

precision posted:

I've only played a couple hours but I wanted to bump the thread by saying absolutely everybody should play this game, god drat

The music is like Mogwai hired a banjo player and it's the best poo poo I've heard in a game in a real long time

I picked up on this subconsciously, I started listening to Mogwai for the first time in a couple of years while I was playing this and never put 2 and 2 together until I read this post.

I played this and Obra Dinn back to back in January and I wish I could completely forget both so I could play them again now. Maybe if I drink just the right amount.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

spaceblancmange posted:

Maybe if I drink just the right amount.

Have you played Disco Elysium?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

[Electro-Chemistry - Challenging 12]: Drink 20 beers to forget everything from 2 video games

Electro-Chemistry [Challenging: Failure] - You still remember how to get to the Ash core and who everyone is on that bloody ship, also you've pissed your pants.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Not a huge surprise at this point, but Outer Wilds picked up Best Game at the Baftas. Also Best Game Design and Best Original Property.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Not a huge surprise at this point, but Outer Wilds picked up Best Game at the Baftas. Also Best Game Design and Best Original Property.

Well deserved

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is coming out on Steam on 6/18 if anyone missed that

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

This is coming out on Steam on 6/18 if anyone missed that

Thanks for the heads up! I have a few friends who were interested in the game but didn't want to bother with Epic Games Store.

I'll also probably buy it again on Steam myself, just to support the devs some more, and so I don't have to reinstall Epic if I ever feel like playing again.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm guessing Epic won't give me a Steam key...

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Considering how Epic has been pouring money into exclusive deals and extremely marked down/free games, in a desperate attempt to make their platform relevant and usurp Steam's throne at any cost, I'm gonna guess you're correct on that one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope for a Switch port

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
I'd be surprised if it made it on the Switch, half because the game runs less than ideally on systems that are more powerful than it, and half because the Switch doesn't have pressure sensitive triggers that the thrusters require, making flight less bearable than if you played on gamepad. Even if the former could be circumvented somehow, the latter is a pretty bad setback.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Flac posted:

I'd be surprised if it made it on the Switch, half because the game runs less than ideally on systems that are more powerful than it, and half because the Switch doesn't have pressure sensitive triggers that the thrusters require, making flight less bearable than if you played on gamepad. Even if the former could be circumvented somehow, the latter is a pretty bad setback.

Plenty of people played with keyboard and mouse on PC so I don't see that being an issue. Ultra precise up/down thrust is nice to have but there were no situations where I felt I needed it.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

NRVNQSR posted:

Plenty of people played with keyboard and mouse on PC so I don't see that being an issue. Ultra precise up/down thrust is nice to have but there were no situations where I felt I needed it.
I guess it WOULD be preferrable to K&M and probably could be gotten used to for general situations, but losing an axis of thrust which you can fine tune is not good for Bramble

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I just came across this while boredly flipping through the store on my PS4. I really hope it’s as charming and unique as it looks. It’s downloading right now, and I can’t wait to give it a try. It looks like adventure game Psychonauta.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not much like Psychonauts but it's really good.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hwurmp posted:

It's not much like Psychonauts but it's really good.

I meant the art style and the way it projects a mood. I don’t expect the games to be similar.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not the same mood as Psychonauts either.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I mean, I get what they mean though, the game has a sort of quirky vibe from the start, but definitely gets darker and weirder when you’re not around other Outer Wilds members/you’re not on Timberhearth. But I mean, I can’t think of too many other games that also have a similar camping + sci fi aesthetic and both Psychonauts and Outer Wilds have that. But yeah it’s very different gameplay wise, don’t expect anything to be similar, as there won’t be any of the following: collectibles, power ups/abilities, linear story telling, cutscenes, combat, discrete levels... basically it’s unlike most other games, even walking simulators which also don’t have any of the above also don’t have wild physics puzzles and the ability to fly from one planet to another and land and get around, let alone space flight period. If there are any ‘walking simulators’ with space flight, let me know (I’m not hating on walking simulators btw, I like Dear Esther, Everybody’s Gone To the Rapture, What Remains of Edith Finch, etc).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I just came across this while boredly flipping through the store on my PS4. I really hope it’s as charming and unique as it looks. It’s downloading right now, and I can’t wait to give it a try. It looks like adventure game Psychonauta.

Extremely jealous and excited for the journey that awaits you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah this game whips rear end, please post updates. 2019 was a great year for games i wish i could mind-erase and play fresh again

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

beep by grandpa posted:

Extremely jealous and excited for the journey that awaits you.

Thank you. I love this kind of quirky, unusual game.

luxury handset posted:

yeah this game whips rear end, please post updates. 2019 was a great year for games i wish i could mind-erase and play fresh again

Sure. I like to share.

I love the game’s atmosphere. Finding my comrades chilling on the planets is a great experience. I think the game does a very good job with scale. You can get from body to body easily, and the planets are small enough to explore the surface without feeling overwhelmed, but they are plenty big once you start getting under the surface and/or into buildings.

I actually think the main loop mechanic is kind of boring and redundant. All it seems to do is interrupt me when I’m in the middle of something, and make me waste my time running back to my ship and head back to wherever I was when it happened. I feel like there are plenty of hazards out there without the loop mechanic. Maybe it comes into play and becomes more important at some point, but so far it doesn’t feel very purposeful.

I’m a little bit lost at the moment. I’ve spent a lot of time inside the Ember Twin. I’ve found a lot of clues, but I can’t seem to complete the things the clues hint at. Today, I’m going to make a concerted effort to get at some of the things that are supposed to be on the twins. I feel like getting the guy with the harmonica is kind of key, but I tried flying to him, and I’ll bet you can guess what happened.

It’s a good game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Thank you. I love this kind of quirky, unusual game.

Sure. I like to share.

I love the game’s atmosphere. Finding my comrades chilling on the planets is a great experience. I think the game does a very good job with scale. You can get from body to body easily, and the planets are small enough to explore the surface without feeling overwhelmed, but they are plenty big once you start getting under the surface and/or into buildings.

I actually think the main loop mechanic is kind of boring and redundant. All it seems to do is interrupt me when I’m in the middle of something, and make me waste my time running back to my ship and head back to wherever I was when it happened. I feel like there are plenty of hazards out there without the loop mechanic. Maybe it comes into play and becomes more important at some point, but so far it doesn’t feel very purposeful.

I’m a little bit lost at the moment. I’ve spent a lot of time inside the Ember Twin. I’ve found a lot of clues, but I can’t seem to complete the things the clues hint at. Today, I’m going to make a concerted effort to get at some of the things that are supposed to be on the twins. I feel like getting the guy with the harmonica is kind of key, but I tried flying to him, and I’ll bet you can guess what happened.

It’s a good game.

The quest log in your space ship is a really really good way of getting ideas on where to go and what to do

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I think the real purpose of the loop is to keep you from getting too invested in any given run. If you smash your ship into a thousand pieces or get horribly lost in some alien cave system it's no big deal, it's pretty quick to get back anywhere - or to just go somewhere else entirely.

Relatively minor quality-of-life hint: You can unlock the ability to reset the loop at will. You get it from talking to the explorer on Giant's Deep.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

The quest log in your space ship is a really really good way of getting ideas on where to go and what to do

Yeah. I refer to it frequently.

NRVNQSR posted:

I think the real purpose of the loop is to keep you from getting too invested in any given run. If you smash your ship into a thousand pieces or get horribly lost in some alien cave system it's no big deal, it's pretty quick to get back anywhere - or to just go somewhere else entirely.

Relatively minor quality-of-life hint: You can unlock the ability to reset the loop at will. You get it from talking to the explorer on Giant's Deep.

That was actually the first significant thing I did, on like my second loop. I use it occasionally, but I get involuntarily looped more often.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game was such an insane joy. 10/10 gave me the space feels

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

That was actually the first significant thing I did, on like my second loop.

Likely not on the second because he doesn't figure it out until the third, an amusing worldbuilding detail.

NRVNQSR posted:

I think the real purpose of the loop is to keep you from getting too invested in any given run.
It also enable the whole clockwork universe mechanics, including the more irreversible bits of level design (and the time-based designs in the first place) and the ability to plan ahead.
(And that's leaving aside how thematically important it is to the game. As many things, the loop is really multi-purpose and very well integrated in a number of ways)

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 5, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Chev posted:

Likely not on the second because he doesn't figure it out until the third, an amusing worldbuilding detail.

It also enable the whole clockwork universe mechanics, including the more irreversible bits of level design (and the time-based designs in the first place) and the ability to plan ahead.
(And that's leaving aside how thematically important it is to the game. As many things, the loop is really multi-purpose and very well integrated in a number of ways)

It took me a minute to understand your spoiler. I think I get it, now. I didn’t mean I did “thing” on my second loop. I meant that I found the person who teaches me to do “thing” and selected the appropriate dialog item on what I believe was my second loop.

I also just did something silly. I floated around in space until I located the quantum moon, then very carefully approached it, so as not to let it out of my sight, which took a while. Then, I switched to landing mode, and guess what happened.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

that happens to everyone

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and at the same time it doesn't happen to anyone

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

I also just did something silly. I floated around in space until I located the quantum moon, then very carefully approached it, so as not to let it out of my sight, which took a while. Then, I switched to landing mode, and guess what happened.

I remember the first time that happened to me.

It was in the original tech-demo alpha version. I did it about seven times.

Man I wish i still had that thing sitting around, the full game is different in a lot of ways.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

It took me a minute to understand your spoiler. I think I get it, now. I didn’t mean I did “thing” on my second loop. I meant that I found the person who teaches me to do “thing” and selected the appropriate dialog item on what I believe was my second loop.

Infocom style hints!

1.Is there a way you can keep it on screen even when you're in landing mode?
2.There totally is.
3.Maybe you can be looking at two things at once?
4.Take a picture of the quantum moon with your probe and it won't disappear as long as the picture is displayed.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Infocom style hints!

2.There totally is.
4.Take a picture of the quantum moon with your probe and it won't disappear as long as the picture is displayed.

Yep. I went to the Tower of Quantum Knowledge before I found the object in question. In my head, the change between looking out my window and switching to the landing camera was instantaneous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Infocom style hints!

2.There totally is.

I don't think this works because The probe camera goes away when you go into landing mode. You don't need to do landing mode at all, just fly into the moon slowly.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Why bother with landing mode? Just fly headfirst into everything. You have a jetpack too so if your ship is not entirely upright you can still get back on board.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think this works because The probe camera goes away when you go into landing mode. You don't need to do landing mode at all, just fly into the moon slowly.

Oh yeah, you're probably right. Just entering atmosphere will do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There isn't a lot of room but you can safely switch to landing mode once you're inside the clouds

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just smh if you don't violently crash land every single loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Landing mode is for chumps anyway, just sit in your seat and aim at the horizon as you descend