Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aphex- posted:

yeah the third recipient of the ash twin project, first being you and second being the traveller on Giants Deep, is the probe cannon. that's why you see three nomai statues lit up when you see the inside of Ash Twin. every loop it gets new coordinates and shoots off a probe somewhere else in the universe to try to find the eye. When you visit the probe module it says it's been sent off around 9000 times so far.

And once you get inside the Probe Tracking Module, what can you see?

A Nomai statue.

although its eyes aren't lit :pseudo: dev oversight? Or maybe there's just another statue on the Probe Cannon that I can't find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oldstench posted:

Just finished. Great game. Loved the ending. I hope that this is successful enough to cause more designs of a similar sort. I've always wanted Rendezvous With Rama in videogame form and this is as close as I'm going to get that isn't the text adventure or that FMV thing from the late-'90's.
Holy poo poo, that would be amazing. Giant's Deep is good proof they could do the ocean part.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Hwurmp posted:

And once you get inside the Probe Tracking Module, what can you see?

A Nomai statue.

although its eyes aren't lit :pseudo: dev oversight? Or maybe there's just another statue on the Probe Cannon that I can't find.

I assumed that the statues are just for uploading and downloading memories from people based on the lore for them. I think the probe launcher itself can just directly transmit to the ash twin project

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cnidaria posted:

I assumed that the statues are just for uploading and downloading memories from people based on the lore for them. I think the probe launcher itself can just directly transmit to the ash twin project

Yeah, I figured that the last statue corresponded to the last Nomai; the one you meet on the Quantum Moon.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Kraftwerk posted:

It aged and reached its natural lifespan. You’re witnessing the heat death of the universe.

What is like to know is what triggers the probe cannon to start firing

The nomai had the sun station and Ash twin project linked up properly to send a firing message back 22 minutes in the event of a supernova...even though the sun station isn't what caused the supernova. Instead, all the nomai we're wiped out in the blink of an eye by ghost matter on the Interloper. Fast forward however many years, with the sun dying of heat death...

Regarding the masks and statues, as someone mentioned, one is the probe, but the other six were only set to activate when the probe found the Eye (in this case, the 9353 time). The Nomai had it set up so their statues would link with the closest being on the probe's success or eventual failure, so they would know their mission was complete and could disable the project.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 8, 2019

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I decided to jump back in to see if I missed anything and I'm glad I did. One of the things I found was a neat and fun feature on your ship. There's an eject button! Even though it's mostly there as a gag, I tested it out and there's actually a section late in the game where it's pretty useful.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Petit Gregory posted:

I decided to jump back in to see if I missed anything and I'm glad I did. One of the things I found was a neat and fun feature on your ship. There's an eject button! Even though it's mostly there as a gag, I tested it out and there's actually a section late in the game where it's pretty useful.

They put a ton of detail and interactivity into the ship for no reason other than making it a believable object

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i just noticed how similar this game's story is to Rain World and it's honestly incredible to think about how similar the two games are and yet so completely different

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I don't know why I'm in this thread because the only game(s) where I've ever been more afraid of spoilers is Metal Gear Solid, but I saw the anglerfish, and it's the first time in years I've been genuinely terrified in a game. It didn't help that everything was spatially hosed, and when I backed out as fast as I could I was suddenly way further out than I should've been? Haven't been back there since.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 8, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
lol, I think I just found an easter egg: once the sun starts to turn red giant, around the time of Interloper's apoapsis, there's a Voyager-looking probe passing near Giant's Deep.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

I don't know why I'm in this thread because the only game(s) where I've ever been more afraid of spoilers is Metal Gear Solid, but I saw the anglerfish, and it's the first time in years I've been genuinely terrified in a game. It didn't help that everything was spatially hosed, and when I backed out as fast as I could I was suddenly way further out than I should've been? Haven't been back there since.

Gotta go back eventually. :getin:

grate deceiver posted:

lol, I think I just found an easter egg: once the sun starts to turn red giant, around the time of Interloper's apoapsis, there's a Voyager-looking probe passing near Giant's Deep.

:kimchi:

f#a# posted:

Regarding the masks and statues, as someone mentioned, one is the probe, but the other six were only set to activate when the probe found the Eye (in this case, the 9353 time). The Nomai had it set up so their statues would link with the closest being on the probe's success or eventual failure, so they would know their mission was complete and could disable the project.

But the whole point of the memory statues was so the Nomai could keep going through that 22-minute loop until they managed to Do All The Science and locate the Eye. Then they'd abort the Sun Station's firing, stop the supernova, and terminate the loop.

That doesn't explain why the Timber Hearth statue only activates for our explorer, though. Unless it's a simple case of them being nearest to the statue when the failsafe is triggered, or it's just more quantum fuckery.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 8, 2019

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Ember twins spoilers: Can anyone help me out with the Sunless City entries? I'm missing the forth one and I have fine combed the city (I think).

Currently I have the one for the city itself, the one about the sun station and the one that explains that the Nomai came to the solar system in pursuit of the Eye.

if anyone can at least tell me the blurb of the forth then that would be helpful, though obviously more clear indications are better.

This game is bringing the completionist in me. I want to know *everything*.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Meallan posted:

Ember twins spoilers: Can anyone help me out with the Sunless City entries? I'm missing the forth one and I have fine combed the city (I think).

Currently I have the one for the city itself, the one about the sun station and the one that explains that the Nomai came to the solar system in pursuit of the Eye.

if anyone can at least tell me the blurb of the forth then that would be helpful, though obviously more clear indications are better.

This game is bringing the completionist in me. I want to know *everything*.

Those three entries should be enough to mark the Sunless City complete. Have you found the Anglerfish Fossil and High Energy Lab?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

grate deceiver posted:

Wow! I found this on my very first loop and then got really irritated when I couldn't ever find it again! I eventually decided that I'd accidentally caught up to my own launched Scout or something. Nice to know it was real.

Ending Spoilers: If you accidentally lose your scout by firing it into the Eye of the Universe, it does a little flyby in the New Universe scene!

Senethro fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2019

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not sure it's been discussed, or how widely known it is, but I discovered a way to get a game over very early in the game.

Just kill yourself before getting the coordinates and activating the statue, like for example when you test out if you can jump down the geyser hole in center of the town

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

Those three entries should be enough to mark the Sunless City complete. Have you found the Anglerfish Fossil and High Energy Lab?

Yes, I did. All entries around the city are completed, just not the city itself. Is it not supposed to have more than 3 entries?

Perhaps it's a bug?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ymgve posted:

Not sure it's been discussed, or how widely known it is, but I discovered a way to get a game over very early in the game.

Just kill yourself before getting the coordinates and activating the statue, like for example when you test out if you can jump down the geyser hole in center of the town

Haha I did this my first time playing. I saw that the practice ship could go pretty deep down those and thought "hey I wonder what's down there?" and then I drowned.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just noticed that the characters' dialog changes once they realise that the sun is dying. Haven't checked all of them, but Chert was pretty bummed :(

Can anyone give me some tips on how to get inside high energy lab in ember twin? Even if I bolt it right from the start, my path gets blocked at some point. I guess I need to follow the glowing cable, but after a while it disappears under the sand and I see no way of going forward.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

Just noticed that the characters' dialog changes once they realise that the sun is dying. Haven't checked all of them, but Chert was pretty bummed :(

Can anyone give me some tips on how to get inside high energy lab in ember twin? Even if I bolt it right from the start, my path gets blocked at some point. I guess I need to follow the glowing cable, but after a while it disappears under the sand and I see no way of going forward.

If sand is covering the power cable, it sounds like you're still not getting there fast enough. Are you entering the Sunless City through the rockslide near the Gravity Cannon?

You can follow the cable for a while but eventually it'll disappear into the rock wall. At that point, there'll be a winding passage on the right. You should be able to pick up the cable again soon.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Meallan posted:

Yes, I did. All entries around the city are completed, just not the city itself. Is it not supposed to have more than 3 entries?

Perhaps it's a bug?

This gave me trouble too, but turns out there's an important entry in one of the many ruined houses to the right of the anglerfish overlook door.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Meallan posted:

Perhaps it's a bug?

Can’t remember if that’s the one missing, but there is one from the lights, building in the top right, the lower floor is full of ghost matter. Also, on the buildings in front of you, from the lights, you can drop down through one of the sand holes and end up in an otherwise unreachable area. Send a scout in beforehand to help you find it.

You may have to leave the light off so you can use an elevator hole, can’t remember exactly

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

If sand is covering the power cable, it sounds like you're still not getting there fast enough. Are you entering the Sunless City through the rockslide near the Gravity Cannon?

You can follow the cable for a while but eventually it'll disappear into the rock wall. At that point, there'll be a winding passage on the right. You should be able to pick up the cable again soon.

ok, so I was probably taking a longer path through the crashed pod and the caves. I'll check it out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

ok, so I was probably taking a longer path through the crashed pod and the caves. I'll check it out.

If you get there really fast, there's a part where you'll have to wait for a sandpit to fill up and walk across. Trying to jump through the falling sand will just get you dropped into some cacti.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 8, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

God drat, getting into the probe cannon is a pain.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

jjac posted:

This gave me trouble too, but turns out there's an important entry in one of the many ruined houses to the right of the anglerfish overlook door.

This was it! Thanks!

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
So, I just found out that your ship has an eject button which I think you can only access using free look. I have no idea how it would ever actually be useful, but it was a neat thing to discover.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lol I think it’s really funny fig backers are hidden on a satellite outside the solar system when most games would put them on a wall or someplace obvious.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Azathoth256 posted:

So, I just found out that your ship has an eject button which I think you can only access using free look. I have no idea how it would ever actually be useful, but it was a neat thing to discover.

I found it to be a useful speed boost when floating past the anglerfish in the red section of Dark Bramble.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Petit Gregory posted:

I found it to be a useful speed boost when floating past the anglerfish in the red section of Dark Bramble.

I can see that as a good emergency option. It's probably better to ditch your ship entirely at that point though.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Just picked this up, loving it so far.

Is there a trick to get the signalscope to switch to the "unidentified" frequency whenever you get an "unidentified signal detected" popup? Half the time when I get that popup and pull out the signalscope, I can only select frequencies I've already found, which isn't helpful. But every now and again I pull it out and suddenly I'm on the "unidentified" frequency, which gets identified when I find the signal. What's the trigger?

EDIT: I'm a moron, the most recent case of this turned out to just be one of the Outer Wilds guys. Apparently they count as unidentified until you shove the signalscope in their face. :rolleyes:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm not certain but I think you just have to get closer to the signal.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Looking for some more direction or hints.

Black Hole Forge: What the hell do I do to get here? I have been trying for days and I can't figure out what I'm missing. I've tried hanging around White Hole Station thinking maybe something pops up there and I get on it but nope. I am lost as hell.

"More to explore": I have this on Sunless City, Hanging City, and White Hole Station. I swear I've been EVERYWHERE on Sunless City and White Hole Station so I am just lost as hell as to what else I could possibly be looking for.

Cacti, Ghost Matter, Anglers: Not so much looking for a spoiler but is there a special plot thing to grab to get rid of them? Especially the cacti are infuriating haha. Anglers I am generally able to avoid but getting to the Vessel has been a journey.

Also, if anyone has any just like "nudges" to give me toward anything that's kind of out of the way I'd appreciate it. I've seen spoilers about easter eggs or cool poo poo they stumbled upon but I didn't want to hit it for fear of spoilers.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ziji posted:

Black Hole Forge: What the hell do I do to get here? I have been trying for days and I can't figure out what I'm missing. I've tried hanging around White Hole Station thinking maybe something pops up there and I get on it but nope. I am lost as hell.

Hint: The technology showcased at White Hole Station is they key to reaching the forge.

More specific hint: Try poking around the Ash Twin.

quote:

Cacti, Ghost Matter, Anglers: Not so much looking for a spoiler but is there a special plot thing to grab to get rid of them? Especially the cacti are infuriating haha. Anglers I am generally able to avoid but getting to the Vessel has been a journey.

Nope. Just gotta move around 'em.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ziji posted:

"More to explore": I have this on Sunless City, Hanging City, and White Hole Station. I swear I've been EVERYWHERE on Sunless City and White Hole Station so I am just lost as hell as to what else I could possibly be looking for.

Also, if anyone has any just like "nudges" to give me toward anything that's kind of out of the way I'd appreciate it. I've seen spoilers about easter eggs or cool poo poo they stumbled upon but I didn't want to hit it for fear of spoilers.

BHF: Did you raise the forge? After raising it up I just got in my ship and flew up in there, the anti-grav floors kept the ship up there.

Ghost matter is just a puzzle you gotta figure out. Go up/around it typically. You cant get rid of any of these. There are hints for anglers in the game. Cacti dont hurt you if theyre under sand hinthint.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Ziji posted:

"More to explore": I have this on Sunless City, Hanging City, and White Hole Station. I swear I've been EVERYWHERE on Sunless City and White Hole Station so I am just lost as hell as to what else I could possibly be looking

It would help if you said what entries you have so we can compare to our own entries and see what might be missing.

Though, with Sunless City I had that same problem. if you have been to the lab, to the anglerfish cave and managed to enter the temple, you might be missing one of the entries in a house to the right of the anglerfish outlook entrance. As you explore it, you'll notice one of the rooms is inaccessible since it has cacti baring your entrance. Send a scout into the room, then exit the building, fly up, and you'll see a bunch of holes in the ground where sand is falling. One of the holes will take you inside the room. The entry associated with this one is about the sun station.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

KoB posted:

BHF: Did you raise the forge? After raising it up I just got in my ship and flew up in there, the anti-grav floors kept the ship up there.

Ghost matter is just a puzzle you gotta figure out. Go up/around it typically. You cant get rid of any of these. There are hints for anglers in the game. Cacti dont hurt you if theyre under sand hinthint.

Something that took me embarrassingly long to figure out about ghost matter

It's not necessarily everywhere the crystals are. Your scout can show you exactly where it's concentrated.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

gently caress, the game just ate my save. Started it up and it asked me to enter a profile name like I had never played it before and I only have the option to start a new game. I think I was pretty close to done too - only missing thing I had left in the rumor map was the Ash Twin Project.

Anyone know what actions actually affect progress or endings or whatever, so I can just skip ahead to where I was? I'm guessing talking to the Nomai on the quantum moon was important, and obviously there was getting the Eye coordinates from that probe cannon module.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

Anyone know what actions actually affect progress or endings or whatever, so I can just skip ahead to where I was? I'm guessing talking to the Nomai on the quantum moon was important, and obviously there was getting the Eye coordinates from that probe cannon module.

Completing the Quantum Moon does affect the ending somewhat. The only other things you need are:

The Eye coordinates, the location of the Vessel, and something very important from inside the Ash Twin Project.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
It's really a shame that they went with the Epic Game Store instead of Steam. I personally don't really care but I've tried to get numerous other people to play this and almost all of them were turned off immediately by it not being on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Oldstench posted:

It's really a shame that they went with the Epic Game Store instead of Steam. I personally don't really care but I've tried to get numerous other people to play this and almost all of them were turned off immediately by it not being on Steam.

Yeah, it sucks. Outer Wilds is one of those games that should be experienced by anyone who enjoys games but it's gonna fly under the radar of a lot of people because lol nobody uses Epic's store. As cool as Outer Wilds is, I doubt it's the sort of killer app that will make many people finally sign up. I don't know if the exclusivity deal is perpetual or not but if not hopefully it gets re-discovered when it gets a Steam and/or GOG release.