Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I have landed on there both from slowly inching forward and from getting ahead and slowing down (tried intercepting perpendicular but always crashed), but never got the achievement or got inside, because after I land when I stand up the gravity doesn't let me do anything. Which is weird, because coming in the other way I didn't notice anything messing with my movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

When it came to dark bramble and time constraints, on my final cycle run I actually just yolo’d it and flew to the ship by memory instead of going to the graveyard and planting my probe. whenever you enter a cell on dark bramble you’re always set to the same drift speed, but you’re ALSO set to the same orientation - so when you enter the nest cell, if you just float past the guard anglerfish without touching your controls, when you reach the egg cluster the seed leading to the ship will always be to your right.

You can use your computer to mark any location on your HUD once you've visited, so you can just flag up the vessel and follow the marker. Nothing tells you this and I didn't find out until after my first attempt.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a QOL feature added in a late patch, I know that's true of the campfire restart cycle now button

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Still thinking about this game occasionally after beating it a couple days ago. I was going back through some of the older posts and read about the paradox ending, and I'm glad I got it. I thought I'd screwed it up the first time until I went back and found my other self still in the core. The game over message and ending song remix had me laughing out loud.

After all my time in the game, there's one thing I think wasn't fully explained: the nature of ghost matter. I didn't even put together that ghost matter was what killed the Nomai until the ending spelled it out for me. I guess there's a kind of anti-hint in that their logs discuss every other weird thing in this solar system pretty exhaustively, but ghost matter never comes up. And there's the fact that the stuff is said to be slowly dissipating, implying that there was a lot more in the past. But just based on its name and how much there is in the Ember Twin settlement, I thought it some kind of paranormal residue of all these people dying. But it was actually just an unusually strong energy field stuck inside the core of the Interloper under extremely high pressure? How did it get there? Where did it come from? What is it? Does it have to do with the fact that the Interloper orbits around a white hole? If they existed in our universe, white holes would have a lot of very weird physics.

I don't think there are answers to those questions in the game, but I'm happy to be told otherwise. I don't want to go hunting for the messages myself, so if anyone here knows, I'd love to wrap up this last mystery.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
They said the interloper was new to the solar system, and killed the Nomai within theoretically only a few days or weeks of arriving, so the answer is "Ghost matter comes from some other solar system/universe, and it was brought here by the interloper, trapped in the core at an unusually high pressure. It was also said to kill you with cold, so I personally imagined it was kind of like super SUPER liquid nitrogen under an insane amount of pressure in the rocky core of the interloper. It flew a little too close to the sun, the mix in temperatures caused the shell to crack slightly and the pressure finished the job, completely freezing all the Nomai instantly (except for 1/6th of the iterations of Solanum). The ghost matter somehow doesn't affect water, as the Hearthians survived (and apparently if you run through it underwater while an island crashes down on Giants Deep it is also not dangerous).

That's how I sort of pictured/understood it myself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The comet blasted ghost matter all over the system, which caused the extinction of the Nomai in an instant (or at least a time scale far too short to do anything about it). Over the hundreds of thousands of years that passed afterward, the ghost matter decayed to the point where it's only present in isolated pockets, so the Hearthians were able to leave the water and start developing. Its exact scientific nature isn't critical to the plot, just its effects.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

haveblue posted:

The comet blasted ghost matter all over the system, which caused the extinction of the Nomai in an instant (or at least a time scale far too short to do anything about it). Over the hundreds of thousands of years that passed afterward, the ghost matter decayed to the point where it's only present in isolated pockets, so the Hearthians were able to leave the water and start developing. Its exact scientific nature isn't critical to the plot, just its effects.

I believe it was instantaneous. You find Nomai at their tables, work, sitting, playing.. They just all went where they stood.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A thing plot-wise that threw me was the nature of the end of the universe. I was semi-spoiled and assumed, based on the fact that it was happening sooner than anticipated, the sun station was causing the supernova. Stars going supernova doesn’t seem that common, which makes it happening everywhere seems unusual too. But I guess it was just a stylistic way of showing the universe was old?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

A thing plot-wise that threw me was the nature of the end of the universe. I was semi-spoiled and assumed, based on the fact that it was happening sooner than anticipated, the sun station was causing the supernova. Stars going supernova doesn’t seem that common, which makes it happening everywhere seems unusual too. But I guess it was just a stylistic way of showing the universe was old?

apparently it's a common theory that widespread stellar decay would occur in the final stages of universal heat death

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

apparently it's a common theory that widespread stellar decay would occur in the final stages of universal heat death

Sure, but over the course of billions of years, not a couple minutes. But then, any given sun-like star will take millions of years to go from mostly-normal looking to expanding into a red giant to collapsing, so other galactic events in this game happening on an accelerated scale isn't too surprising. On the other hand, a real-world stellar collapse and nova event is actually very fast, and may be the one thing in this game that's slower than reality.

Also, thanks for the replies about ghost matter. I had forgotten that the Interloper was a new arrival in the time of the Nomai. But I guess the exact nature of ghost matter and its origins just get to stay a mystery.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Didn't the Nomai get obliterated hundreds of thousands of years ago by the time the game started? How are their skeletons and structures still there. Also, how did they already have info on brittle hollow falling apart/the black hole?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally beat this last night, after a year of attempts stymied by this game basically being a Terror Engine

I don't think any other game is going to make it over the bar OW has set for a very, very long time. What an astonishing thing this was

mastajake posted:

Didn't the Nomai get obliterated hundreds of thousands of years ago by the time the game started? How are their skeletons and structures still there. Also, how did they already have info on brittle hollow falling apart/the black hole?

In order:

Yep, destroyed by ghost matter. IDK about their skeletons but I just assumed their tech and materials science was robust enough to survive little things like rust, corrosion and weather

As for the info, simple first-hand experience from when they first arrived. I don't recall if any of their signage indicates seeing pieces of the planet falling into the hole, though; that seemed to be a more recent development, even with hundreds of thousands of years of pounding by rocks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Question about Beginner's Luck: can I metagame the coordinates or do I have to witness that in-game as well

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ciaphas posted:

Question about Beginner's Luck: can I metagame the coordinates or do I have to witness that in-game as well

You can metagame it, that's how the speedrun does it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

plus it's basically required for one achievement

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

beep by grandpa posted:

plus it's basically required for one achievement

Yeah they’re referring to the trophy, it’s called ‘beginner’s luck’.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

right, I was trying to think out the route in my head; and having that stop in it would be a REAL tight squeeze, if it's even possible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So obviously, Outer Wilds is a really exceptional game. What stands out the most to me (besides the gut-churning terror :v:) are the eureka moments - when I see, read or hear something, and suddenly all the little mysterious pictures in my mind suddenly coalesce into a big one, which would in turn just be one of many big pictures, etc, until The Payoff.

(Like many - I imagine - my Payoff happened when I reached the Vessel. I had already been to the ATP and the PTM by then, so I had a faint inkling of the goal, but it didn't really strike home until I got in there and read the incoming message board, and saw the shape of the broken warp core; and from that, the sheer enormity of what I had to do to finish the game hit me like two brick shithouses. That moment is not something I'm likely going to forget anytime soon.)

Is there any other game that can remotely duplicate that sense of discovery? I only know of Return of the Obra Dinn, which seems a little... plodding, I guess? And the visuals I just don't like, may I be burned at the stake for my take :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 13, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love the art style of Obra Dinn, like, I love dithering effects, I even bought a filter for Blender once to apply that kind of effect to things. Still haven't bought or tried it yet though, because yeah, plodding seems o be my outside impression. I'm not a note-taker, if I look at any of my notebooks from any era of school it's about the same, a couple of lines of text and then a page of drawings done while I listened, keeping my hands busy with drawing. I'm sure solving or putting together whatever Obra is about is really satisfying, but I don't beleive in myself enough to think I'll make it over the notekeeping aspect if I can't visually/memory-ily keep track instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure if "plodding" is the right word, but it's definitely not an engaging thriller. You spend the whole game investigating the aftermath of a crisis that's already over, and while it's a layered and intriguing mystery it's a static puzzle your perspective is permanent outside of. It's still a really good puzzle game, just not a puzzle game with thumbskill checks and atmospheric terror and breadth of setting like Outer Wilds.

The best game I can think of with a similar moment when everything falls into place and recontextualizes the entire rest of the game is The Witness.

e: There are also the old school graphic adventure games, especially Riven which is built around a couple of huge world-spanning puzzles (as opposed to a large number of small localized puzzles)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 13, 2021

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any other game that can remotely duplicate that sense of discovery? I only know of Return of the Obra Dinn, which seems a little... plodding, I guess? And the visuals I just don't like, may I be burned at the stake for my take :v:

It has a lot of problems but it is satisfying enough that I would recommend Heaven's Vault. It does have a 2.5d art style that might be offputting though.

You play as an archeologist/linguist and spend a lot of the game trying to learn how to speak an ancient written language by trying to apply contextual clues or symbolic indicators and rules. It's not anywhere near as fun travelling around the game world as OW but I've put about 26 hours into it which is 1 and a half playthroughs (and there are reasons to replay unlike OW)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

I'm not sure if "plodding" is the right word, but it's definitely not an engaging thriller. You spend the whole game investigating the aftermath of a crisis that's already over, and while it's a layered and intriguing mystery it's a static puzzle your perspective is permanent outside of. It's still a really good puzzle game, just not a puzzle game with thumbskill checks and atmospheric terror and breadth of setting like Outer Wilds.

The best game I can think of with a similar moment when everything falls into place and recontextualizes the entire rest of the game is The Witness.

I can't tell to what degree I spoiled this game. I played it for a few hours when it came out, started noticing the environmental puzzles, really cool and beautiful. I think I got frustrated with some puzzles and never wound up returning, ended up watching some videos on it. Joseph Anderson or someone like that, saw some of the secret ending stuff and the hour-long lectures with puzzles in them. I can't actually remember the final "point" but I vaguely remember it being a "huh, cool" in an art-school critique-day sort of way, but also kind of jerk-off hand-motion at the same time, which, I guess the former encapsulates already in a way.

Talos Principle I got further into and was closer to unraveling for myself... but I lost GamesPass and my progress and honestly re-solving puzzles is more frustrating than doing em the first time for me, too much blending of memory and losing track of did I do that or uncover this or do I just remember it from last time.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Subnautica has a bit of the magic. Not so much with the puzzle solving, but it has a similar sense of discovery and apprehension.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Subnautica was great too - and yeah, for exactly the same reasons. I can't wait for <0 to be finished

The Witness I haven't played at all, so I'll look it up. Same with Heaven's Vault :cheers:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Subnautica has a bit of the magic. Not so much with the puzzle solving, but it has a similar sense of discovery and apprehension.

Yup, I've just started playing this and it's definitely go that ol' feeling. especially when I discovered the huge green gun/building :aaaaa:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If you liked that feeling in Outer Wilds of "it's a metroidvania, but all the upgrades are to your brain instead of to your character" then The Witness has a ton more of that.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Triarii posted:

"it's a metroidvania, but all the upgrades are to your brain instead of to your character"

whoa

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I also consider The Witness to be on goat tier with OW.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Triarii posted:

If you liked that feeling in Outer Wilds of "it's a metroidvania, but all the upgrades are to your brain instead of to your character" then The Witness has a ton more of that.

Toki Tori 2 does this as well, it's a metroidvania/puzzle platformer where you start with all your abilities and just need to learn how things work. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Outer Wilds or The Witness but I remember it being pretty fun.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kiranamos posted:

I also consider The Witness to be on goat tier with OW.

i dont like how it was advertised as a puzzle game that would not waste your time, and then the latter half contained countless examples of really egregious deliberate meanspirited time wasting

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

outer wilds is one of my fav video games of all time and the witness i fell off of HARD after a few hours, and after spoiling myself on the late game stuff i'm glad i didn't stick with it. there's a great joseph anderson video about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Futaba Anzu posted:

i dont like how it was advertised as a puzzle game that would not waste your time, and then the latter half contained countless examples of really egregious deliberate meanspirited time wasting

This. The Witness has some interesting puzzles, but there are some that are so obtuse that I ended up looking up youtube videos of the solutions because I had no idea what I was supposed to even be solving. And it all leads to a very disappointing ending. There are also some bonus puzzles that are completely stupid. Like one where you have to watch a 30 minute long video for something to appear in the video that allows you to solve a puzzle. It's just as dumb as Braid, which was made by the same guy. It sucks because there are some really interesting puzzle concepts in it, they just get run into the ground and become tedious before you're done with an area.

I started playing The Witness and The Talos Principle at the same time. I started out thinking that The Witness was innovative and interesting and that The Talos Principle was pretentious garbage, and my opinion of the two completely swapped by the end. If you want a fun puzzle game, I highly recommend The Talos Principle.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 14, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The witness is the 2nd place game of the decade

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Even as a Witness-liker, I wouldn't recommend anyone try to 100% it. Fortunately there are "core" puzzles and then much more optional ones, and most of the absurd bullshit that I can recall was in the optional puzzles.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Witness is a puzzle game that actually gets worse the deeper you look into it. Everything at the top layer and then the next layer down is fantastic, but the deeper you go the more it just starts stinking like doo doo

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
The Witness is cool and I liked all of it, even the puzzles with the video clips.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

The Witness is cool and I liked all of it, even the puzzles with the video clips.

The only one I didn't like was the bonus puzzle in the ship with long drawn out times on the sound because I'm basically tone deaf and the regular sound puzzles were already bad enough. Everything else was good.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Arrhythmia posted:

The only one I didn't like was the bonus puzzle in the ship with long drawn out times on the sound because I'm basically tone deaf and the regular sound puzzles were already bad enough. Everything else was good.

Everyone hates that ship puzzle.

Time to post my fave The Witness video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJC62t4JfA

(Spoilers, obviously)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I disliked The Witness after 6 hours and turned to hating it and tossing it after watching a video that summarized the ending. Not only did the game not provide any music but it left me thinking I am actually incapable of enjoying music since apparently I can't even differentiate between musical tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Giants deep is terrifying.