Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

queeb posted:

Ok I did the sun station and inside ash twin, that was cool as gently caress

Lol got the bad ending

How'd you get to the sun station? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

queeb posted:

now I'm on to something in the Bramble

Edit: I poo poo my pants

:bisonyes:

Pretty much how it went for me too :lol:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Devils Affricate posted:

How'd you get to the sun station? :v:

i flew my rear end through the fuckin spiky plants on ash twin and took the teleporter, had to fix my suit like 3 times while standing on spike plants, is that the intended way? i made it through anyways lol

endings i got:

i took the warp core and just died with it, and got told i was dead lol, but as soon as i was pointed back to dark bramble and saw the vessel and the warp core, i resterted my loop, went and got the core asap from ash twin and took it to the vessel, then it took me a second to realize the thing in there was a waypoint machine thing. the whole eye of the universe thing was amazing.

quantum moon what was the point of it? i went to it but dont think i actually did anything at all there, just hosed about with the tower and then left, didnt really get any major reveals here

echoes of the eye finding the planet was cool, i was kind of clueless until i saw the degrees on the display on the satellite and then that clued me into the 40 degree thing so i killed myself and raced to it. Holy gently caress i did not expect this, what an amazing intro/area, i did NOT expect to drop into a loving halo type thing from that docking port. holy hell im hype for this tonight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

queeb posted:

i flew my rear end through the fuckin spiky plants on ash twin and took the teleporter, had to fix my suit like 3 times while standing on spike plants, is that the intended way? i made it through anyways lol

That's the intended "easy" way. The "hard" way is just fly your loving spaceship right up to the loving sun and jump out the loving airlock and fly through the loving corona with your jetpack and walk in the front loving door like a steely eyed rocket man. A lot of people did it that way first, though, because some people never realize the easy way is feasible (I think they tweaked this after launch)

quote:

quantum moon what was the point of it? i went to it but dont think i actually did anything at all there, just hosed about with the tower and then left, didnt really get any major reveals here

If you fully explore the quantum moon there's a neat scene that resolves one of the side stories

quote:

echoes of the eye finding the planet was cool, i was kind of clueless until i saw the degrees on the display on the satellite and then that clued me into the 40 degree thing so i killed myself and raced to it. Holy gently caress i did not expect this, what an amazing intro/area, i did NOT expect to drop into a loving halo type thing from that docking port. holy hell im hype for this tonight

Echoes of the Eye rules, at least the first 2/3 of it. Some people hate a new element that shows up later but it's a really good expansion and lives up to the base game for the most part

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

queeb posted:

haveblue posted:

That's the intended "easy" way. The "hard" way is just fly your loving spaceship right up to the loving sun and jump out the loving airlock and fly through the loving corona with your jetpack and walk in the front loving door like a steely eyed rocket man. A lot of people did it that way first, though, because some people never realize the easy way is feasible (I think they tweaked this after launch)

I will add to this and just say that it's not the easy way, although it is easier than the cool way. The easy way is to wait for the sand and just walk across the cacti. One of those things that just makes sense when you get it.

Quantum moon hint have you found all the Quantum shards the signalscope can find? The tower mentions the rules of quantum, do you know what all of them are?

Echoes of the Eye is cool as hell, enjoy

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

haveblue posted:

Oh no that is absolutely not the intended way and I kind of wish they'd make it less feasible so people have to solve the puzzle of waiting for the sand to be at just the right level to cover the cacti so you can just walk across them totally unharmed. It would also help ensure people get there later in their experience so that they can have the revelation that the sun has reached the end of its natural lifespan nice and late after they've had the whole game to think they're gonna stop the sun exploding.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh no that is absolutely not the intended way and I kind of wish they'd make it less feasible so people have to solve the puzzle of waiting for the sand to be at just the right level to cover the cacti so you can just walk across them totally unharmed. It would also help ensure people get there later in their experience so that they can have the revelation that the sun has reached the end of its natural lifespan nice and late after they've had the whole game to think they're gonna stop the sun exploding.

yeah this was an amazing reveal/moment it was really like a oh gently caress, yeah i thought i was gonna fix this but the sun is just actually hosed guess im looking for something else really enjoyed it

echoes of the eye is the eye evil? i guess dont spoil it but yeah i just found a movie theatre thing with a reel showing the eye sending out a blast and turning the entire owl race to ash, accompanied by some dope as gently caress tense music

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I only figured out the "easy" way to (base game) get to the Sun Station after I piloted my way through the sun's gravitational pull to catch and line myself up with the station and literally eject myself to the opening and frantically spacewalk the rest of the way. I also now after starting Echoes of the Eye have realized that (related to spoiler above) I could have selected it on the map and then auto-piloted directly to the sun station and I'm glad I didn't know that, because actually pulling it off - while frustrating when I failed - was absolutely exhilerating when I pulled it off.

Doing it the "easy" way later did lead to that fantastic moment when you open the emergency exit and see it go blasting out into space revealing the destroyed bridge. I imagine those who did it that way must have had a bit of a :stonklol: reaction realizing what the game was asking them to do now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

I could have selected it on the map and then auto-piloted directly to the sun station

I think the autopilot would just burn directly for it and if you didn't immediately crash into the sun because it was in the way it would get into a regime beyond what the ship's engines can handle, lose control, and then you crash into the sun. The gravity is too strong there, you have to get into an orbit and plot an intercept course by eye and I don't think the autopilot is smart enough to do that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In that case, I'm even gladderer I did it the hard way!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you autopilot to a planet on the other side of the sun the autopilot cheerfully runs you face first into the sun. No shot in hell you can autopilot to Sun Station

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I also now after starting Echoes of the Eye have realized that (related to spoiler above) I could have selected it on the map and then auto-piloted directly to the sun station

Oh, no, the Sun Station orbits too fast and on too tight a curve for the autopilot's relatively gentle thrust, it can't match orbits with it and you'll just end up far away or smashing into the sun. Pulling off reaching the Sun Station with the ship is purposely meant to be an epic feat of piloting. Congrats.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 26, 2024

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I have probably spent hours crashing into the sun trying to get that damned achievement and I still don't have it so I'm jealous of people who just get it :(

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Man with Hat posted:

I have probably spent hours crashing into the sun trying to get that damned achievement and I still don't have it so I'm jealous of people who just get it :(

Have you tried the emergency button in the cockpit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m sure I only got it because of many hours in :jeb:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah I found it really easy but, Kerbal drilled orbital mechanics into my brain

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Man with Hat posted:

You can do it! The first trick is to memorize exactly how to approach it as quickly as possible from the start of each loop and line yourself up perfectly in the same direction of orbit. Then you just have to figure out how to catch up to it without going faster than it, even if you still end up falling into the sun seconds later. Only at the end do you master the exact vertical movements necessary to smush against its roof and get out. By breaking it up piece by piece, you make it more manageable, encourage muscle memory, and even better learn how to do the later steps through your skill at the beginning.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ravenson posted:

You can do it! The first trick is to memorize exactly how to approach it as quickly as possible from the start of each loop and line yourself up perfectly in the same direction of orbit. Then you just have to figure out how to catch up to it without going faster than it, even if you still end up falling into the sun seconds later. Only at the end do you master the exact vertical movements necessary to smush against its roof and get out. By breaking it up piece by piece, you make it more manageable, encourage muscle memory, and even better learn how to do the later steps through your skill at the beginning.

I did actually look at at least two youtube videos saying more or less this and still managed to screw it up haha. Maybe I'll just play KSP for 200 hours and get back to it, that seems like good advice from the other posts in the thread :)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Jerusalem posted:

I imagine those who did it that way must have had a bit of a :stonklol: reaction realizing what the game was asking them to do now.

Can confirm.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
While undoubtedly super cool, I actually thought it was easier than ramming the core of giant's deep or surfing.

I found both those were real finicky to trigger, plus retrying each takes a bunch of setup unlike the nice quick 'burn up -> hop in ship and try again' loop that landing on the Sun Station has.

Regardless, you need all three to reach maximum Feldspar levels :cool:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haveblue posted:

I’m sure I only got it because of many hours in :jeb:
:same: understanding what "go faster to go slower" in orbit-ese actually means and how that interacts with altitude made all the difference

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any other games out there where you have to interact with semi-real orbital mechanics?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Outside of Kerbal Space Program, which is basically Orbital Mechanics: The Game, I can't think of any. There are some games that have inertial movement, but most are at a scale where gravity never comes into play since you're always in deep space, or they just cheat and give you more or less inertial controls like Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky and probably others)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“Realistic” spaceship games tend to be ultra-hardcore simulators that aren’t actually any fun. KSP is the only one that tries to find a middle ground between fun and realism

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Are there any other games out there where you have to interact with semi-real orbital mechanics?

If you're looking for something simple/casual, Osmos is a 2D game that does a lot of fun stuff with orbital mechanics. Unfortunately, only certain levels include gravitational forces (about 1/4 of the game IIRC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAsFGaPfGOk&t=10478s
(should be timestamped at 2:54:40 for a good example)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

queeb posted:

haveblue posted:

Just thought I'd mention there's actually an even easier version of the "easy" way. Get to the Sun Station teleporter on Ash Twin ASAP in the cycle and you can just safely walk through the hallway because the sand is high enough to cover the cacti.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Devils Affricate posted:

Just thought I'd mention there's actually an even easier version of the "easy" way. Get to the Sun Station teleporter on Ash Twin ASAP in the cycle and you can just safely walk through the hallway because the sand is high enough to cover the cacti.

Yeah that's the intended way but one of the cool things about this game is that whatever solution you end up using is correct. There is no wrong answer if it gets results.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah that's the intended way but one of the cool things about this game is that whatever solution you end up using is correct. There is no wrong answer if it gets results.

:dukedog: Wrong method? Right method? Sun's gonna explode either way

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

echoes been aimlessly exploring the halo, then found a reel showing i can remove a lantern and enter behind a portrait, found a room full of dead owlpeople what the fuuuck

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

queeb posted:

echoes been aimlessly exploring the halo, then found a reel showing i can remove a lantern and enter behind a portrait, found a room full of dead owlpeople what the fuuuck

The one that truly disturbed me (and I may just be completely misreading things) was the corpse that appeared to have died clawing at the restraint holding its body in place, rather than being placed there postmortem :tinfoil:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The dlc, with the vr mod, on an edible is not for the faint of heart, but it is simply imcredible

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I feel incredibly grateful and fortunate that I have extremely good vr stomach cause whew trying to raft

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ive poo poo my pants multiple times

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jerusalem posted:

The one that truly disturbed me (and I may just be completely misreading things) was the corpse that appeared to have died clawing at the restraint holding its body in place, rather than being placed there postmortem :tinfoil:

Have you beaten the DLC yet? I want to say stuff but don't know what's safe to say, lol

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jerusalem posted:

There are a few corpse poses that are repeated a few times; it's not particularly noticeable until you go through the three areas scrutinizing them closely, as I just did. Are you talking about this one? There are at least two of this one. I don't think it's supposed to be clawing at its restraint, though - it more looks like its hand is just resting there. It's hard to tell in that screenshot but the hand isn't wrapped around the restraint; the thumb and forefinger make a little circle and it's just kinda resting its wrist on the restraining band/harness thingy. And if that's not the one you're talking about then idk what you're talking about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Have you beaten the DLC yet? I want to say stuff but don't know what's safe to say, lol

Not yet, hit a busy period and haven't had much of a chance to play anything, unfortunately.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

queeb posted:

ive poo poo my pants multiple times
and you thought the anglers were bad :v:

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
What's the intended way to get into the black hole forge? I have been there twice before but almost immediately fell into the core of the planet, both times.

Would appreciate a vague hint please. If the way to get there is the way I've been doing it, I don't really enjoy the wait

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trip Hazard posted:

What's the intended way to get into the black hole forge? I have been there twice before but almost immediately fell into the core of the planet, both times.

Would appreciate a vague hint please. If the way to get there is the way I've been doing it, I don't really enjoy the wait

Hmm, how have you been doing it so far? So we can judge where you need the vague hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
I've been going to Ash twin and waiting for the tower to be revealed, then bouncing directly there