Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Hwurmp posted:

There's one important thing I never noticed until right near the end: the Signalscope has a zoom function. Get it out whenever you want to look at something far away.

That's one of the first things Chert tips you on about. You can use it to zoom in and look at all the stars going supernova nearby, if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah I missed that bit when I was talking to him, and if there's ever a tooltip for it I didn't see that either :saddowns:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Minrad posted:

That's one of the first things Chert tips you on about. You can use it to zoom in and look at all the stars going supernova nearby, if you want.

Supernovas discussion - I've been thinking about this specifically for a few days now, the whole part where you discover that the Numai found out that all the stars in the universe are dying, and soon. It's really interesting to think about how a new species, just starting their own space exploration, finally going out into the larger universe only to realise that they've come about and evolved at the end of time, all the stars are dying and there's not long left for anything. It's haunting and not something that I've seen explored before.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just want this week to end so I can spend all weekebd playing this game.

How long is it btw?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just want this week to end so I can spend all weekebd playing this game.

How long is it btw?

I am not at home to check for sure, but I easily have 10+ hours over the past few days and I'd say there is still so much I KNOW I haven't done yet, and who knows how much I don't know is out there. The game is longer if you mess up or get stuck, shorter if all the puzzles and stuff click with you.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
It also takes longer if you, like me, spend the last minutes of each loop just staring at the supernova event.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was swimming around Giant's Deep at the end of my very first loop, so I didn't even see what was happening. I thought the nova noises were just more weather noises, and when I died I figured the currents had ripped the ship apart or some tentacled horror from the deep had gotten the drop on me.

But Giant's Deep is completely the wrong planet for that. :cthulhu:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It took me about six loops to actually survive to the supernova, I kept flying my ship or myself into things at speed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Party Boat posted:

It took me about six loops to actually survive to the supernova, I kept flying my ship or myself into things at speed.

It took me about that long to make really, really, REALLY sure I couldn't land into the thing orbiting the Sun.

I mean, it may be possible, with some fancy flying, but I certainly couldn't.

Edit: Spoilered, just in case.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fat Samurai posted:

It took me about that long to make really, really, REALLY sure I couldn't land into the thing orbiting the Sun.

I mean, it may be possible, with some fancy flying, but I certainly couldn't.

Edit: Spoilered, just in case.

You can get there another way, but yeah I tried that a few times too haha.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My first death was disappointing as I think it was bug related. I was walking towards the ruined gates on the starting planet and I just keeled over with "condition critical" or something.

Even more disappointing, the game doesn't save until your first death so I had to replay the intro portions twice because I quit but I don't think the timer starts until you get the launch codes as I was playing for ~30 minutes beforehand. Only lost about 10 minutes but still it nullified the impact of the main game just a little when I furiously rush online to search "how to save the loving game" and get smacked with the main conceit up front.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Beat the game, really enjoyed it. I'm curious what happens when you miss the (QM spoilers) Sixth Location

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 6, 2019

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
^^^ Your spoiler tag is wrong.

I'm stuck. I can't figure out the timing between the Twins. I think I need to get to the High Energy Lab for a charged core and into the tower on the Ash Twin with all the cacti inside, but both require the perfect amount of sand to be added/removed to get to their respective locations. I can't get the timing down. If I wait on Ash Twin for the tower to become accessible, the HEL is impossible to get to. If I wait for the HEL to open up, then I can't get into the tower. I'm so confused.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
You don’t need to visit both locations in the same loop.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3

Fat Samurai posted:

Beat the game, really enjoyed it. I'm curious what happens when you miss the (QM spoilers) Sixth Location

Ending spoilers.
Solanum isn't around the campfire & you don't see the insect people at the bottom right on the after credits scene.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

General non spoiler question - is there a specific order things have to be done in, or do all the pieces fit together eventually? I feel like I spend time exploring one thing without making a terrible amount of progress, and I"m not sure if it's because I'm loving with something I'm not meant to be able to access yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Everything fits together sooner or later. There are only a handful of things you have to actually do in the end--everything else will lead you towards those.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skyl3lazer posted:

General non spoiler question - is there a specific order things have to be done in, or do all the pieces fit together eventually? I feel like I spend time exploring one thing without making a terrible amount of progress, and I"m not sure if it's because I'm loving with something I'm not meant to be able to access yet.

most locations merely exist to tell you interesting stories or to give you hints you don't technically need to have if you can figure things out yourself. sometimes they do directly interact though or the information is mandatory and not something you can guess on your own

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
Though, generally speaking if you feel like you've been loving around with something for too long without making progress, moving on to something else could give you a hint or just give you a new perspective on it.

There's only one real part of the game where a solution is poorly explained.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Observe how things react over time as well. Not everything is a race to get there very fast and get started. Sometimes time is on your side.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

corn in the bible posted:

most locations merely exist to tell you interesting stories or to give you hints you don't technically need to have if you can figure things out yourself. sometimes they do directly interact though or the information is mandatory and not something you can guess on your own

I guess my specific question is more useful (black hole planet)

I'm trying to get to the tower of quantum knowledge and there's a broken wall-thing that I cant get past. I'm mainly wondering if I'm just missing a puzzle solution or if I can't even access this atm and I need to come back later with other tools/knowledge/etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skyl3lazer posted:

I guess my specific question is more useful (black hole planet)

I'm trying to get to the tower of quantum knowledge and there's a broken wall-thing that I cant get past. I'm mainly wondering if I'm just missing a puzzle solution or if I can't even access this atm and I need to come back later with other tools/knowledge/etc.

you can't climb up there as it is. think about what you know about the planet and maybe you'll figure out what has to happen for you to get in there. if not, try exploring and see if you can figure it out later

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I played the free version of the game several years ago and thought it was cool as hell so I was very pleasantly surprised to see Outer Wilds made into a full commercial game with a real studio behind it. I binged it over the past few days, finishing it last night and drat it's fantastic from beginning to end. It's really impressive how the puzzles get you thinking and experimenting so you feel real clever whenever you figure stuff out but nothing is the sort of obscure "how was I ever supposed to figure that out?" kind of stuff that videogame puzzles have a bad habit of becoming. And of course, the fact that you can organically explore and solve stuff in almost any order with it all feeling natural is pretty incredible. The worst thing I guess I could say is that sometimes it can be slightly annoying waiting for something to happen (Ash Twin and Brittle Hollow's quantum tower being chief offenders) but compared to the poo poo literally any other game makes you deal with that's nothing.

Everyone who enjoys videogames at all should play Outer Wilds.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Just finished this game and I'm absolutely blown away! Now I'm kinda sad there's no more exploring to do.

A few things that made me go :aaaaa: :

At Ember Twin I was messing around in the High Energy Lab and I accidentally caused a time paradox after removing a warp stone mid experiment. Even got a special game over message out of it.

Sometimes after a violent death your character gasps and rapidly blinks their eyes while waking up. Well one time after the final blink, the Quantum Moon appeared in the sky.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Petit Gregory posted:

At Ember Twin I was messing around in the High Energy Lab and I accidentally caused a time paradox after removing a warp stone mid experiment. Even got a special game over message out of it.

How did you pull this off, because holy poo poo I have to see it for myself

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I find this game fills me with an insane amount of existential dread.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Hwurmp posted:

How did you pull this off, because holy poo poo I have to see it for myself

Hint:
What was the purpose of the experiment? What phenomenon were the Nomai trying to observe?

A bit more spoilery hint:
If you get the timing just right...

Answer (if you want to be spoiled):
Shoot the scout into the mini black hole and remove one of the warp cores right before it enters it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

End-game question:
I've entered the Ash Twin core, gotten the warp core, made it to the vessel, attached the new warp core, put the eye coordinates in. I activate the warp device and...get teleported outside the ship? What am I doing incorrectly?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Petit Gregory posted:

Hint:
What was the purpose of the experiment? What phenomenon were the Nomai trying to observe?

A bit more spoilery hint:
If you get the timing just right...

Answer (if you want to be spoiled):
Shoot the scout into the mini black hole and remove one of the warp cores right before it enters it.

WORTH IT

Oldstench posted:

End-game question:
I've entered the Ash Twin core, gotten the warp core, made it to the vessel, attached the new warp core, put the eye coordinates in. I activate the warp device and...get teleported outside the ship? What am I doing incorrectly?

When you say "activate the warp device," do you mean the one behind the warp core or the one inside the coordinate input?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Here's a neat little detail regarding one of the other explorers. You know how the guy at Ember Twin will comment on the supernovae? Well, if you talk to him about halfway through the loop he will start getting really worried since he's seeing dozens of stars going boom in the sky. Note, bigger spoilers ahead. Talk to him again towards the end of the loop and he'll have figured out that the universe is ending and that the sun is about to go supernova. He'll rightly freak out and refuse to discuss anything. Here be endgame spoiler. In addition, after finding the Vessel and the message from the other Nomai about the universe ending you can tell the explorer about it at any time in the loop and just ruin his day.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

WORTH IT

When you say "activate the warp device," do you mean the one behind the warp core or the one inside the coordinate input?

I roll the big ball that activates the coordinate input device back to the other side of the warp core and it opens a portal. Am I doing it wrong? The only other switch I see is in the middle of the coordinate input device itself, but it just raises the coordinate input device.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Oldstench posted:

I roll the big ball that activates the coordinate input device back to the other side of the warp core and it opens a portal. Am I doing it wrong? The only other switch I see is in the middle of the coordinate input device itself, but it just raises the coordinate input device.

You have to leave that ball where it is, and raise the ball that's in the centre of the coordinate blocks that you just filled in.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Aphex- posted:

You have to leave that ball where it is, and raise the ball that's in the centre of the coordinate blocks that you just filled in.

Yay! I'm dumb.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just finished. Great game. Loved the ending. I hope that this is successful enough to cause more designs of a similar sort. I've always wanted Rendezvous With Rama in videogame form and this is as close as I'm going to get that isn't the text adventure or that FMV thing from the late-'90's.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Really really loved this game, and happy to see its own thread now. When everything comes together and you start understanding how the time loop was kicked off and how it works, it was an absolutely sublime feeling. Plus all the neat small touches, like blinking showing two slits for the two pairs of eyes.

I was confused for the longest time because the Nomai were all "oh no, the Sun Station isn't going to work at all!" and wondering where they all went. Wasn't until the Interloper that I actually put everything together, and that the time loop got kicked off specifically because our sun went supernova on its own. And then I was like, "oh, the four-eyed amphibians mentioned in the geyser vents are us!"

However, why was the universe dying in the first place? Chert sees a whole bunch of stars going supernova.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

f#a# posted:

However, why was the universe dying in the first place? Chert sees a whole bunch of stars going supernova.
I'm pretty sure the universe dying is just a natural phenomenon, there is a log in the observatory(?) talking about how the stars are drifting apart and we just happened to start space faring at the end basically

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

f#a# posted:

Really really loved this game, and happy to see its own thread now. When everything comes together and you start understanding how the time loop was kicked off and how it works, it was an absolutely sublime feeling. Plus all the neat small touches, like blinking showing two slits for the two pairs of eyes.

I was confused for the longest time because the Nomai were all "oh no, the Sun Station isn't going to work at all!" and wondering where they all went. Wasn't until the Interloper that I actually put everything together, and that the time loop got kicked off specifically because our sun went supernova on its own. And then I was like, "oh, the four-eyed amphibians mentioned in the geyser vents are us!"

It aged and reached its natural lifespan. You’re witnessing the heat death of the universe.

What is like to know is what triggers the probe cannon to start firing

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ending spoilers: Seeing all the galaxies go up in blue light was a punch in the guts

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NOW I know why I never noticed the Signalscope zoom--99% of the time I was using the ship's scope, which doesn't have it. See everyone I'm not retarded really

Kraftwerk posted:

What is like to know is what triggers the probe cannon to start firing

The Ash Twin Project uses the power of the supernova to send a firing order 22 minutes into the past along with all its collected data. It's written on the wall inside the Project.

Fat Samurai posted:

Ending spoilers: Seeing all the galaxies go up in blue light was a punch in the guts

:same: times a million. my god it's full of stars

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Hwurmp posted:

The Ash Twin Project uses the power of the supernova to send a firing order 22 minutes into the past. It's written on the wall inside the Project.

yeah the third recipient of the ash twin project, first being you and second being the traveller on Giants Deep, is the probe cannon. that's why you see three nomai statues lit up when you see the inside of Ash Twin. every loop it gets new coordinates and shoots off a probe somewhere else in the universe to try to find the eye. When you visit the probe module it says it's been sent off around 9000 times so far.