Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, it sucks. Outer Wilds is one of those games that should be experienced by anyone who enjoys games but it's gonna fly under the radar of a lot of people because lol nobody uses Epic's store. As cool as Outer Wilds is, I doubt it's the sort of killer app that will make many people finally sign up. I don't know if the exclusivity deal is perpetual or not but if not hopefully it gets re-discovered when it gets a Steam and/or GOG release.

Its not perpetual. It will eventually come to steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I get dizzy from screens easily and being in first person while not in the ship, plus the speed at which the camera moves (I use a controller), tends to make the game difficult for me to play for more than a few loops at a time.

Any advice? I checked the options page but didn’t see anything obvious to tweak.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

With its managably-shrunk-down solar system setting, the "here's some minimal guidance, now go gently caress around" gameplay, and possible SINISTER COMET (dunno, haven't really investigated it yet), this kind of reminds me of ancient Amiga/ST game Damocles

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Finding that lone Nomai on Quantum Moon made me so sad.

Honestly, the whole Nomai narrative has always managed to make me genuinely moved. I have no idea how it's pulling my cords so well.

But drat, this game knows how to create memorable moments. Solanum calling me a friend, while I know she can only exist in that place, and then standing by to just watch the end of the system together with her... I'll probably remember this for a while.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is solanium bound to the moon for some reason? can she not come back with you?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Verviticus posted:

Since it's the Quantum Moon, you're meeting the Solanum who couldn't, or simply didn't, return to her shuttle. The Solanums who left the Moon all died millions of years ago when Ghost Matter was released into the solar system.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
that doesnt really help from a narrative sense that solanum could just come back with you. "im the version of me that says no to you offering me a ride home" is complete nonsense

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Even if Solanum could understand Hearthian, "Hey you should come back to the heat death of the universe with me" lacks a certain appeal.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't get how Solanum is alive at all, even if she survives the ghost matter explosion she would still have to be 280,000+ years old and there isn't any indication that time is weird there since the supernova can still kill you

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Even if Solanum could understand Hearthian, "Hey you should come back to the heat death of the universe with me" lacks a certain appeal.

everyone and everything she knew is dead and gone, the nomai dont seem like the kind of people that just go oh well, time to be an exposition bot

a lot of this game is good but there are a lot of things like that that are really not compelling

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hub Cat posted:

I don't get how Solanum is alive at all, even if she survives the ghost matter explosion she would still have to be 280,000+ years old and there isn't any indication that time is weird there since the supernova can still kill you

She says that she's pretty sure she's not actually alive, and I think that's all the explanation you're gonna get. :v:

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Verviticus posted:

She hypothesizes that she isn't entirely alive anymore, when you combine the "you" and "quantum moon" dialogue stones.

Edit: beaten by dmboogie

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Elenkis posted:

She hypothesizes that she isn't entirely alive anymore, when you combine the "you" and "quantum moon" dialogue stones.

Oh poo poo, I assumed you could only combine the different colored stones. :aaa:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

It's Schrodinger's cat with ghost matter substituted for the poison and the quantum moon substituted for radioactive decay

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

dmboogie posted:

She says that she's pretty sure she's not actually alive, and I think that's all the explanation you're gonna get. :v:

yeah fair enough. stuff like this is definitely the game's weakness, along with not having a fast forward button. oh well, nothings perfect

except spelunky, crypt of the necrodancer, night in the woods and pathologic 2 i guess

the first 4 hours of OW were some of the best hours ive ever played in a game though

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 10, 2019

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think there was a bit stating she thought she only got there recently.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, I thought the area's weirdness was just making things happen concurrently. That was my assumption though it could be wrong, of course

KoB
May 1, 2009
Something Im curious about. Maybe Im overthinking things

When does the the game begin? When you first wake up and see the probe fire, is that the probe that finds the Eye, activating the ATP when you happen to be next to the statue? Wasnt Gabbro already looping though? I forget.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KoB posted:

When does the the game begin? When you first wake up and see the probe fire, is that the probe that finds the Eye, activating the ATP when you happen to be next to the statue? Wasnt Gabbro already looping though? I forget.

The supernova is what activates the Project. Gabbro just happened to be within capture range of the statue on Giant's Deep, just like your character was nearest to the statue in the observatory.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

KoB posted:

The location where the probe data gets sent has a log indicating there has been 9 thousand loops, we just happened to be near enough to a statue to trigger it when the probe fired this time checked this it only starts the masks on success or an equipment failure so that first probe must have been it

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 10, 2019

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Completing the Quantum Moon does affect the ending somewhat. The only other things you need are:

The Eye coordinates, the location of the Vessel, and something very important from inside the Ash Twin Project.

I went ahead and beat it, and it looks like one other thing has a tiny effect: since I didn't go to the comet in this run, the placard about the Nomai at the end said that we never found out how they died. I'm guessing that would've been different if I had seen the ghost matter shell.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Meallan posted:

It would help if you said what entries you have so we can compare to our own entries and see what might be missing.

Though, with Sunless City I had that same problem. if you have been to the lab, to the anglerfish cave and managed to enter the temple, you might be missing one of the entries in a house to the right of the anglerfish outlook entrance. As you explore it, you'll notice one of the rooms is inaccessible since it has cacti baring your entrance. Send a scout into the room, then exit the building, fly up, and you'll see a bunch of holes in the ground where sand is falling. One of the holes will take you inside the room. The entry associated with this one is about the sun station.

I'll give this a shot, and thanks man. Next time I'll post my lore entries to get a better understanding of what's missing. I am still kind of lost on a lot of stuff and haven't found my way to the Black Hole Forge, Sun Station, or found a way to get to the Vessel without the Anglerfish eating me. I have theories about a lot of stuff but can't seem to find any sort of way to solve it on my own, but I am trying haha. Like for example the white hole station is entirely too confusing for my brain to process how I am supposed to travel from it to anywhere but Brittle Hollow. I have tried everything but it seems the ONLY place that the station can target is Brittle Hollow so idgi.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ziji posted:

I'll give this a shot, and thanks man. Next time I'll post my lore entries to get a better understanding of what's missing. I am still kind of lost on a lot of stuff and haven't found my way to the Black Hole Forge, Sun Station, or found a way to get to the Vessel without the Anglerfish eating me. I have theories about a lot of stuff but can't seem to find any sort of way to solve it on my own, but I am trying haha. Like for example the white hole station is entirely too confusing for my brain to process how I am supposed to travel from it to anywhere but Brittle Hollow. I have tried everything but it seems the ONLY place that the station can target is Brittle Hollow so idgi.

White Hole Station hint:

The White Hole Station can only teleport you to Brittle Hollow. However, you might be able to find the same teleporter technology elsewhere.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I finally decided to try heading to Dark Bramble and ugggghhhhh. An area where you can't see anything and it constantly sounds like a monster's about to jump out and eat you? gently caress.

Can someone just spoil me on what I should expect in this area? I thought this game was chill but now I don't want to explore anymore. :(

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

dmboogie posted:

White Hole Station hint:

The White Hole Station can only teleport you to Brittle Hollow. However, you might be able to find the same teleporter technology elsewhere.

I found what seemed similar on Ash Twin, but I forget the reason I couldn't do Sun Station (only place I hadn't been besides Quantum Moon). I just figured out how I'm supposed to get to QM, hypothetically, but not Sun Station. I guess the journey continues lmao. I also realized I haven't found the Quantum Shard on Ash Twins yet so I gotta figure that out too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Probably a dumb question but (major spoilers) The interloper's core detonating is what coated the solar system in ghost matter and wiped out all the Nomai in an instant, but why did the protagonist's species (forget their name atm) not also die out? There doesn't seem to be any life at all in the solar system other than them left (and the jellyfish and anglers I guess). You clearly aren't immune to ghost matter since touching it kills you. I know your people were non sapient lizard things at the time but still.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I finally decided to try heading to Dark Bramble and ugggghhhhh. An area where you can't see anything and it constantly sounds like a monster's about to jump out and eat you? gently caress.

Can someone just spoil me on what I should expect in this area? I thought this game was chill but now I don't want to explore anymore. :(

Honestly it's not too bad provided you use your signalscope and scouter.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Giant anglerfish that make loud noises and eat you.

Good news: they're the only hostile monster in the game.

Bad news: you do need to explore the bramble.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hint 1: There's information elsewhere in the game that tells you how to avoid the anglerfish.

Hint 2: There are a total of two things you'll want to find on Dark Bramble, both of which involve following different signalscope signals. Dark Bramble is a place where you want to know what you're looking for before you go in.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Probably a dumb question but (major spoilers) The interloper's core detonating is what coated the solar system in ghost matter and wiped out all the Nomai in an instant, but why did the protagonist's species (forget their name atm) not also die out? There doesn't seem to be any life at all in the solar system other than them left (and the jellyfish and anglers I guess). You clearly aren't immune to ghost matter since touching it kills you. I know your people were non sapient lizard things at the time but still.

Just a guess that isn't supported in the game but maybe ghost matter doesn't penetrate water, or isn't lethal underwater. Your species was aquatic at the time, so that might've saved them (along with the jellyfish).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Triarii posted:

Just a guess that isn't supported in the game but maybe ghost matter doesn't penetrate water, or isn't lethal underwater. Your species was aquatic at the time, so that might've saved them (along with the jellyfish).

That makes a lot of sense actually, haha.

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012

Two Owls posted:

With its managably-shrunk-down solar system setting, the "here's some minimal guidance, now go gently caress around" gameplay, and possible SINISTER COMET (dunno, haven't really investigated it yet), this kind of reminds me of ancient Amiga/ST game Damocles

That's the exact same impression I got when I saw the comet going into the sun and as Damocles was one of my favourite games growing up it makes sense that I'd fall in love with this one.

Also today I learned that roasting marshmallows will completely heal you if you're wounded. Was climbing around Brittle Hollow with next to no health and took a marshmallow break. Instant recovery.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Game seemed great until I got to the Twins. Game should be called the Outer Waits.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Watch the devs release a patch to fast forward time, only it fast forwards random intervals, and sometimes it will just jump straight to the supernova

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

GhostDog posted:

Game seemed great until I got to the Twins. Game should be called the Outer Waits.

It is the worst part in a good game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's like five minutes you impatient rear end goons

fukken Veruca Salt standing at the Nomai gates all I WANT IT NOWWW DADDYYYY

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
I've probably spent more time waiting for loading screens in Destiny 2.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm a stubborn motherfucker and found a way to actually climb up the broken gravity towers to Black Hole Forge. The whole time I was like "this is TERRIBLE game design, there's no way this is the intended route!" The next day I asked my friend if he got annoyed with the same part and he laughed at me.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Man, I'm not looking forward to (super spoiler)taking out the warp core from Ash Twin and bringing it to Dark Bramble. It's bad enough you have to wait half the loop to warp to the core, then you have to navigate the single worst spot in the entire game (those three anglerfish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Man, I'm not looking forward to (super spoiler)taking out the warp core from Ash Twin and bringing it to Dark Bramble. It's bad enough you have to wait half the loop to warp to the core, then you have to navigate the single worst spot in the entire game (those three anglerfish)

Just gun the engine a bit before you enter the seed pod thing where the 3 fish are. Then, just drift past them. As long as you make no noise until you are ~500m away from the exit, you'll be fine.