Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It kind of sounds like you're on the starter planet? Wish I could see what you meant, the only blue wibbly things i remember don't kill you unless you get launched weird and it's not really the wibbly things fault is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

I only got stuck and had to google one part, and it wasn't the part people are talking about above me.

loving tower of quantum knowledge.

I am not a patient man, and it was the second last missing piece I was doing before exploring the ATP, so sitting around for 15 minutes to have it fall into a zero G environment wasn't really on my radar. I had already been to the quantum moon shrine and seen it talk about the other locations and entanglement/visibility, and this one seemed like the last part sequentially so I got caught thinking that there had to be some quantum method of getting into it. I didn't really catch on that the "important" parts of Brittle Hollow were also falling into the black hole and it wasn't just random chunks of rock. I never paid much attentiont to the scouts structural integrity or w/e percentage thingy and even when I spoiled myself on it it was still kinda not that useful because it wasn't super linear or time based, it just jumps in big intervals whenever a volcanic chunk hits the area

That was actually one of the first things I found in the game once getting off the home planet. I was still getting the hang of flying around space and trying to not crash into the sun or whatever, before I even learned about the 22 minute loop, I kept dying before then and/or living and thinking I ran into a patch of ghost matter before noticing the sun asplode and putting 2 and 2 together. Anyway, wound up close to that weird white hole distortion and figured why not try going there, wouldn't let me in, but I noticed the chunk of the tower and explored it. That was the first moment of the game for me when I realized, like, the greater story I could discover here. It was still a long time before I figured out how to get on the moon, however. Can't tell you how long I spent on the quantum moon locator thingy trying to get clever with solving it from there without all the quantum tricks learned yet haha, just that it exists and there's something about a special location.

Ironically, it was also one of the last things I discovered in the game in that I found it while it was still in Brittle Hollow! Because it was oriented different, took me a while to even recognize the place and I kept looking for some secret way to get up the tower. In retrospect, that's actually a really cool set-up they created that I just stumbled into backwards.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

It’s on Giants Deep. On two of the islands. Platform with a blue spirally lines coming up.

Yes I have my spacesuit on. It’s not ghost matter.

I think maybe you mean what I kind of treated as landing pads for my ship, they have downward gravity fields to keep your ship stable if the island gets rocketed into space. I think you might be dying on them by standing on them for a long time because the gravity is heavy on that planet, and the gentle field of the landing pad still gives you enough rope to slam yourself dead into the ground once going from zero-g in space, back to 2x on the planet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

Just realized another way this is a horror game - every time the cycle ends everything probably gets hotter and hotter, resulting in searing pain in the last seconds before the nova brings the merciful release of death. And then the cycle repeats, and you remember every second of pain.

I like to think the body would stop feeling anything before pain got unbearable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Re: The Nomai fate We don't actually find out about the other Nomai do we, only the fate of this particular group of headstrong wildcards? I mean, I guess we know they go extinct like all life in the universe, but other than that, seemed like the Nomai would still be out there kickin' it in various solar systems out there.

Speaking of species, what's up with the player-species? Glad the Nomai met our ancient ancestors and didn't turn out to be like, a "creator race" that found froggies and turned em into people. Seems like a lot of unanswered questions, and I suppose they aren't important, but I can't help but wonder how our species evolved, procreates, build their tech, etc lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right, but I mean, prior to that moment there are presumably an infinite number of living civilizations in the infinite universe, subtracting of course civilizations at the rate of supernovas per minute as universe "end" approaches.

Darox posted:

They're grouping together to watch the universe die.

They're also there to sing that song that seeds/starts/creates/becomes the universe!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Just lol if you didn't mash your ship into wherever you needed to go inside brittle hollow. It may have been built of wood, but that thing is remarkably sturdy.

It didn't occur to me to even try this until near the end of the game when I was trying to clean up log entries. Finally found a dang camp that way.

Oxxidation posted:

if you're referring to solanum, then she's not actually there. no one is there, except you. the campfire is just the Eye reacting to the protagonist's fondest memories and using them as the seed that germinates the new universe

you can argue that it's a distinction without a difference, but i think it really enhances the sense of melancholy in that final scene

fair enough, I do tend towards the latter interpretation in this case. I also am not sure it's just melancholy there, there was the equivalent in joy/hope as well. Plus some other feelings, it was a really complex feeling I got in my chest, brain not knowing to cry or smile or laugh or scream but it hit a lot of existential notes for me

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 1, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can never keep track of the terms for 3d movement, but is that yaw thing what it is when you like, try to manipulate something in 0 g, like the Vessel computer/puzzle if you go there before getting the power core to turn on gravity? you end up sliding hopelessly around while trying to move the little orb while wanting to :float" in place.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

This game is neat.

I have named my ship Jitterbug.

I think I've cleared most of Ember and a bunch of Brittle. And a few other bits on the others.

I do really wish that my cockpit just faced 'down' like the landing camera permanently.

I never used that camera at all, there was something that felt natural to me about basically ramming into planets and then j/k break hard at the last moment and flip up a little and then ground-pound flat. It was also a joy to jump out of your ship without a proper landing, or even while it's still skidding. Sometimes you're never coming back for it anyway.

Shout outs to ice-skating on the comet. If you've never tried it, it's a blast to slide around the ices parts picking up speed, then do a tiny jump to do a really long/fast jump/orbit. Careful not to fly off, lol, but even that's fun. The orbit jumps can happen on several places and it's always fun and very Mario Galaxyish. I ruined a few finals runs by just goofing around doing orbit-jumps and then flinging myself away or splat into something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Eh, there's quite a lot on Ember Twin early on.

I immediately decided this would be the last place I crash into, it's just so obviously interesting and cool looking. I eat meals the same way, clean up the boring stuff and save the bulk of the best for last.

I wound up there earlier than expected and revisited many times after without a clear objective. I think it was only my second spelunking visit where I even realized oh poo poo, the sand IS visibly rising, I'm not just imagining poo poo as I frantically explore.

I have the path to the city down by heart, could do it with my eyes closed, and somehow always forgot the secret easy way in till after I took the long. I think the timing was mostly fine, even as a super slow comber, but like most just was a little "bleh" about the hurry up and then wait segment. First time getting there I was convinced I was just missing a trick or path, or just needed to blast through the sand wall at the right speed and angle. Wound up dying punctured to death thinking maybe I can hump my way over the cacti and then patch up. I wonder if there's any speed-runner type trick or glitch to get through there early.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u83MU8zlOGc
This isn't a record speedrun, but this early bramble segment has me cracking up with these anglers.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 6, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I watched the fastest Shipless% category speedrun this morning and was really impressed by it and had a great lmao at using the scout launcher as an infinite boost tactic/balance your fuel resource management. Lots of really cool tech in this run- though I wish I could see what the eye looked like after clipping out of the Vessel at the end.

Holy smokes, never even realized that was a trick! It's especially funny to see them have to accelerate/de-celerate using them to safely land places. My mouth popped open a little bit near the end when he clipped through the thing! Speaking of, I never got the chance to explore the museum at the end, I saw there was inky void to step out onto but for whatever reason I wound up advancing the story without even testing if they let me jump out of the eyeseum.

Double Punctuation posted:

Also see this Sleepless (read: Deathless) run that gets a particular ending. It does quite a few things you might not expect.

This one is super dope too! I actually myself found the spots on the icy version of Q moon where you can clip through the level. Some fairly large noticeable rips in the level geometry, and the ice version was my initial moon condition visit so I explored it the most. I wound up ejecting myself from the atmosphere though when I did my clip-through shenanigans. I'm also assuming the reason they visit dark bramb first is because without sleep it's the best use of that "dead air" time?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 7, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The basic melody they play on the banjo or whatever is enough to make me feel that weird feeling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you think about it, the total destruction of the universe saved them from watching their homeworld crumble under the twisted growth of the dark bramble plant.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phssthpok posted:

Can I get a hint?

The high energy lab has extra warp cores and can direct energy into pairs of them.
The advanced warp core looks like it might fit in the twin-core socket.
Is there enough time to get the damaged warp core from the vessel and bring it to the high energy lab and back?

Wow, this question and logic actually made me realize that the weird timing requirements of the Big Event are probably explicitly done so you can't have time to attempt what you were thinking here.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phssthpok posted:

It would be pretty cool to be able to operate the Black Hole Forge and High Energy Lab for their original purposes. There is some kind of manipulator at the front of the Forge that looks broken. I tried putting empty warp cores into it and then lowering it into the black hole.

Did you ever do the thing there to get the secret/easter egg?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I did the whole thing backwards. My first trip around the galaxy, that thing wound up being one of the things I first explored I was sure the white-hole thing would kill me if I got close, but it was passing by a planet or moon I was on and got so close I couldn't help myself. I flew to it, and I think the quantumn tower had just arrived because I blinded myself trying to bloop into the white hole, and when I turned around this big fancy structure was there. Went inside, discovered a bunch of stuff that was all news to me, noted to keep any eye out for quantum stuff and then I took off and died in a mysterious rash of ghost matter (took me several loops to figure out the sun exploding thing, just kept thinking I got unlucky).

The best part of doing this backwards is, much later in the game, when I had already solved it but was just hunting errant computer logs, I spent almost a whole loop on Brittle Hollow trying to figure out how to get up there past the broken gravity walls. I forgot I had already explored the place properly but was convinced the log I needed was in there somewheres somehow! Turns out the last log I needed is actually something I keep meaning to do and go back to, black hole forge! Never been inside it, always slip off when I try to manually jump in, but I know I just gotta do a teleport thing instead. OR clever ship stuff but thats a one-way ticket to white hole station.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I went unda da sea once, and when I came back up, my ship was nowhere to be seen, so I slowly got back to the surface, saw that my ship seemed to be in the atmosphere, waited for it to come back down, and then had my favourite death of the game: Crushed to death by floating island.

Parking ship the ash of Ash Twin is also a sure bet for some funky ship action. Shout outs to the more-than-once my final runs aborted because I parked my ship too close or in a weird spot and it ended up flung into space or crashed on Ember twin

Fwoderwick posted:

And unrelated but I was super surprised when the final way to solve the cycle didn't involve going to all of the planets via the ash twin teleporters. I was convinced it was going to be a mad dash between them all as they were unearthed one at a time and having to do something at each location.

In the end, sitting on your hands for 5 minutes (or snoozing at the camp fire for the first 4-5) was a bit anti-climactic, but things sure do escalate from there .

I had a similar though at one point, but I also figured that it would involve gathering/rallying all the astronaut pals. Actually for quite a while I thought part of the game loop would be discovering places and clues while checking back in to them. I think I noticed new dialogue options opening up as I found new messages and stuff and extrapolated too far. It is still worth talking to them as you uncover more though!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 20, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chev posted:

Well no, cause you can still do it with time to spare by going the signal way.

Before they added campfire-time-passing it was also something somewhat productive to do given the timing of things. Watching speedruns it seemed many of the earlier versions did that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Looked them up and yeah, most are pretty obscure things I never would have thought to do myself. Kind of amazed that slamming into Giant's Deep at 15,000m/s apparently still isn't fast enough to break through the current beneath the surface. I flew way the hell outside the solar system and then accelerated back towards it for like ten minutes straight and still just bounced off the current same as always. Doesn't seem to work if I'm in the ship or if I bail out before hitting the planet and let momentum carry me. Either you need to time it so that you spend half the cycle backing out of the solar system and the other half accelerating so that you hit the planet right before the supernova happens or it's just buggy.

I somehow failed all three of my attempts to either just zoom out of the galaxy or crash into giants deep core. Part of me really wants to go 100% it, but spending 22 minutes not really doing anything just isn't a great motivation to fire it back up. I also can't get two of the harder model-lander achievements. I've even tried watching guides on how exactly to hit the sun or land on moon, but just never been able to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Imhotep posted:

Joseph Anderson streamed the entire game blind and it was a good watch, he picks up on things surprisingly quickly, definitely a lot faster than every other streamer I’ve seen play it https://youtu.be/pf26m0pSijI

Hahaha he died in the tutorial too. I actually re-did the entire first day twice my first blind attempt. First time I yeeted myself into fall damage like he did, the second time I actually got into some tunnels or internal areas and died somewhere underwater. At the time I thought I hit a patch of ghost matter or something. Then my third try I finally actually went to where you're meant to go and unlocked my infinite lives. I actually died from phantom ghost matter a few times after that, until realizing the 22 minute timeline thing.

OH man, this playthrough is a blast to watch. Man gets lost in D Bramble, narrowly missing the intended sentry-pod tracking. Then he leaves Bramble and lands on Interloper, on a crash course with sun... but doesn't land or stay.drat, I wanna watch my friends pla ythis.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 20, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's also consistent in that you start over with the game over (the late-game version had an option added to not do that). I did the little kids scope game twice, but on my third I skipped them and I didn't get their scope unlock until near the end of my run, thinking maybe it had something to do with a mystery I hadn't solved yet. It wasn't but their frequency has a few interesting moments.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I managed to do it without this, but I think basically any situation where you are doing it, you just have to accept that it's a one-way trip. Your ship is going to drift away no matter what you do.

The one time I managed a safe, chillish landing I spent a good bit of time poking around inside and when I tried to leave realized my ship was long gone. Diving into sun was one of my favourite deaths, but I do wish there was a way to parkour across the gap on debris alone like I tried before diving.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is that playthrough completely blind? I tried watching a few after I finished the game myself to see how other people would approach things and they almost always seem to have someone who's looking at chat and having major parts of the game spoiled to one degree or another. Would have been fun to see Day9 play through it but he couldn't get very far due to (presumably) thalassophobia freaking him out on Brittle Hollow and Giant's Deep.

Yes, it's blind and he minimized chat so he wasn't being spoiled or lead by them. I also went looking for playthroughs after beating it and while some speedruns are always fun to see of a game you've beaten, I never really found a good video of someone's blind playthrough. The chat is actually kind of funny in the light of him not seeing it and kind of getting a little glimpse of other peoples' experiences. Like people freaking out when he goes into Dark Bramble. A lot of people I think either got lost or swallowed up their first time in there. I actually made it in and out of there safely my first trips before running into any of the big fish.

This is a really good vicarious playthrough of the game if you're still chasing that old Outer Wilds dragon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Triarii posted:

:lol: my god, I'm dying

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingYummyGrouse4Head

Edit: Embed doesn't play for me, here's a link https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingYummyGrouse4Head

Edit: Cool I fixed it

That moment was hilarious. This one less dramatic but still amusing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf26m0pSijI&t=15666s

He's at 1% integrity, standing exactly where he needs to, even has a probe up there for good measure... then kills himself with a gravity catapult into wall.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's an interesting approach for that, I know it's not the "intended" way to do it but I'm kind of curious if there's a way to pull it off in a way that lets you survive the "landing".

I tried myself quite a few times (despite the tower being one of the first places I accidentally explored) and I don't think so. It's just too high up of a thing to swing into with barriers hanging down and the angle/momentum you get. It's also kind of a tricky area because you think of so many weird tricks to get up there that aren't meant to work and don't. I mean, I tried so hard and so long to get up there not realizing I'd already been lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVS2_l7OnvM&t=1632s

Just another funny moment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

saltylopez posted:

Been watching his stream video of this on youtube over this week. I'm 2 and a half hours into his second stream (so over 6 hours total of playing the game) and the funniest thing to me is how quickly he puts together some really complex parts of the plot but doesn't seem to recognize at all what the music means.

Yeah, it's a really obvious clue, like, a huge part of why I initially figured out the time loop. After so long even if you didn't notice it, you'd think your brain would and you'd start to get a little anxious since pavlop poo poo, right?

Chat is amusing to watch when he gets to the quantum moon. First because he almost had it right on one of his first attempts, just took too many pictures instead of leaving up a static image of the moon, so they were excited when he finally got the knowledge to get there... but lacked the other clues. However he "brute-forced" it by getting through some weird geometry skipping the "sixth location rule" steps. Chat lost it. I myself did something similar, a lot of the various q-moons have wonky geometry you can clip through or whatever and I got to Solanum a similar way my first time. However it felt wrong so I left and then re--read my logs and did it properly. I think figuring out the "darkness" trick is just too easy to stumble on for anyone to get upset about skipping. Granted, the puzzle to learn that trick is great and I hope he still does it. Playing with quantum rocks and launches is just fun anyway. However, like, stumbling blind into the moon tower, the obvious thing to do are to mess with the only two controls you're given inside of it. Close door, off-lights is just kind of what you do when tinkering around in there.

Near the end of the second stream video, he spends like an hour trying to land on the sun station. Only parts I skipped through so far, b/c its as frustrating to watch as it was when I spent an hour trying to same poo poo.

Oh, other random moment from the second stream: He gets into the ember-twin interior caves, sees the cave marked like "WATCH OUT MONSTER IN THERE" and he excitedly rushes in all ready... then stops, sees the cave staglmites and a cave opening making what looks like spooky teeth... and he laughs and walks away without actually investigating where that cave hole leads. Like, he's assuming it's just a little environmental joke but he's so confident in that he doesn't even go and look to see if there's anything interesting to peep through the spooky cave opening.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, watching this highlights how many ways you can go about figuring stuff without the intended exposition discoveries.

So far the biggest contrast between his and Is playthrough he was totally underwhelmed when he discovered the coordinates for the eye of the universe. When I got there I was blown away excited, I had assumed that the search for the eye was just a fools' errand, but when I discovered the coordinates it was like "holy poo poo, it's real and I'm gonna find a way to go to there!!!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha just started that part 3 stream. So much sun determination. Losing my mind a bit at him at the ATP teleporter. Mans just so rarely uses his scout.
This coward wouldn't take the ATP core!! Just some weird kvetching from someone who charged into the cave monster ready to die.

At least he figures out the music.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 22, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He did a good job, at one point he seemed to leak that he made the cue but then appropriately failed to respond to it many times after still.

I will say watching him view the finale was really unsatisfying, but the ending itself still made me tear up in the same weird way it did when I played. I think a big part of him missing the point of the end was that he never at any point realized the universe was ending. Which is odd, he even engaged when some of the NPCs who talked about it and I think he even watched some of the supernovae.

edit: He explains his disappointment a little better, he was expecting some straightforward science answers to little things from this teenyverse. I still think him not grokking the death of the universe itself was a big component regardless of the physics of teenyverse, death of the universe is... universal.

I didn't realize he was such a meme-boy. Watching this stream after having only ever seen his long-form critiques, it was kind of a trip. A memeboy dragonkin lol

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 22, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I don’t know the guy, but it very may well be that it’s his audience that loves the memes and he is playing to them, wisely.

It truly is brilliant.

That post probably came off more judgemental or negative than I meant. Seems like a good bunch, on-the-fly fanart is pretty cool and he obviously knows his audience well. Very often he would predict chats reaction despite not seeing it and getting it exactly correct. What I meant was more along the liners of seeing your teacher at in public at an event or whatever and seeing a different side of them that you usually didn't.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I was thinking the other day how unfortunate it is that Outer Wilds is the type of game that sequels and subsequent titles from the developer can almost never live up to. As the quality of a game increases, the chance of its successor being a disappointment asymptomatically approaches one, and Outer Wilds is a very good game.

Yeah I went to look up their older games to see and it was kind of a surprising jump from their previous work. Super curious what they'll do next. They can't really do this trick again but with like a different gimmick or puzzle I don't think, though I think there's plenty of room for different games in the same kind of teeny-verse physics and that is something they've been interested in before with a 2d mobile game with gravity/orbit physics it seems. Some of the great things about it though are design considerations and philosophy that would benefit whatever they make next so I'm not going to expect "better" but I do hope to see these principles played out in other forms

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love the art style of Obra Dinn, like, I love dithering effects, I even bought a filter for Blender once to apply that kind of effect to things. Still haven't bought or tried it yet though, because yeah, plodding seems o be my outside impression. I'm not a note-taker, if I look at any of my notebooks from any era of school it's about the same, a couple of lines of text and then a page of drawings done while I listened, keeping my hands busy with drawing. I'm sure solving or putting together whatever Obra is about is really satisfying, but I don't beleive in myself enough to think I'll make it over the notekeeping aspect if I can't visually/memory-ily keep track instead.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

I'm not sure if "plodding" is the right word, but it's definitely not an engaging thriller. You spend the whole game investigating the aftermath of a crisis that's already over, and while it's a layered and intriguing mystery it's a static puzzle your perspective is permanent outside of. It's still a really good puzzle game, just not a puzzle game with thumbskill checks and atmospheric terror and breadth of setting like Outer Wilds.

The best game I can think of with a similar moment when everything falls into place and recontextualizes the entire rest of the game is The Witness.

I can't tell to what degree I spoiled this game. I played it for a few hours when it came out, started noticing the environmental puzzles, really cool and beautiful. I think I got frustrated with some puzzles and never wound up returning, ended up watching some videos on it. Joseph Anderson or someone like that, saw some of the secret ending stuff and the hour-long lectures with puzzles in them. I can't actually remember the final "point" but I vaguely remember it being a "huh, cool" in an art-school critique-day sort of way, but also kind of jerk-off hand-motion at the same time, which, I guess the former encapsulates already in a way.

Talos Principle I got further into and was closer to unraveling for myself... but I lost GamesPass and my progress and honestly re-solving puzzles is more frustrating than doing em the first time for me, too much blending of memory and losing track of did I do that or uncover this or do I just remember it from last time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Talos Principle had all the puzzling difficulty of a kongregate flash game. Did not like that one at all.

Maybe I'm not understand what kongregate flash game difficulty is, but I thought the puzzles in the game were pretty dang good as far as I got. I especially liked when puzzle-solving involved doing things in other areas a certain way. I remember spoiling one of the like, secret-bonus world-type puzzles and I was going for the right solution just in a way that would never work.

I remember a few puzzles that relied heavily on these tight timings and maneuvers else you'd blow up by some bomb orb, some of those were frustrating because you'd have to re-do tricky parts you'd already successfully done, every time you failed.

drat, now I wanna finish it but is there any way to transfer xbox gamespass saves to steam? have no idea why i even played it on gamespass considering how long ive owned it on steam

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

You find out about the time loop a maximum of 22 minutes into the game. It isn't a spoiler at all.

First time I played the game, I died right around 22 minutes in from falling damage after blasting myself with a geyser. I didn't have any clue what kind of game this was, I spent a lot of time practicing the model spaceship thinking those would be the actual flight controls and doing the radioscope game with the kids. I died and posted something about how it was a nice little 22 minute game, not realizing that would be normally an acknowledgment of the game's loops. After gaining loop immortality, it was still a few loops in before I realized the sun was exploding. Just thought I was dying from running into ghost matter or was just otherwise doing something deadly at that moment anyway. The trailer also spoils the nomai connection, like, you can find out without ever leaving the starting planet but whatevs, if it hooks more people that way so be it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Several pages back there was discussion about the floating-point problem. What would it look like or mean to have a computer or program that just did the numbers correctly all the time? Is it the sort of thing that just wouldn't be a sensible trade-off for a program that needs to run in real-time and track shitloads of different things, or is the kind of thing where you start needing some kind of scifi computer the size of a solar system or bigger than all the universe together? If our reality is a computer simulation, what would their computer look like to run us (alright, I reckon we can't know the physics of our sim-creators' universe, if they have such a thing, but what would it look like if we made an accurate simulation of our our universe?)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The universe isn't infinite though, larger than what we can observe, but there's a limit on the size and it's unlikely we are near wherever the center is. Plus, if there's floating points it's not accurate, I'm curious what an accurate simulation would require or if it's possible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay hell yeah, now we're talking. I want the whole dang numbers and we set the experienced time speed for the idiots in our sim so we can take as long as we need for every frame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shwoo posted:

You can't save until after you get the launch codes and leave the museum, but I think there's a second thing you have to do after that before the game will save. You can't miss triggering it, since it'll happen on its own about twenty minutes after you get the launch codes, but it's kind of weird that quitting the game won't save it before then, with how much time you can spend just exploring the village before getting the launch codes.

I think after saving is triggered, you can quit from the menu and it'll work like a normal save.

lol yeah, my first play-through in the game I died naturally from slamming into the ground after taking a geyser jump, about 22 minutes into the game. Never went to the museum. On my second new game, I went to the museum, but I didn't do the hide-n-seek game with the kids and I didn't remember to pick back up their radio signal until nearly the end.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're pretty close! One thing about the probe It's not broken or stopped, it keeps firing, if you went back to probe tracker next time you played, it would be big number(+X) since you last checked, depending on how many loops since then.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did they add achievements?! I just looked at my list, curious which one I got first (something about eating burnt marshmallows). Last I played I remember there were one or two achievements I missed, but didn't feel like grinding out after trying so many times. One was crash into giants deep with speeds you can only get by freak chance, or by going 11 minutes out of the solar system, then accelerating all the way back to giants deep and hoping its in reachable orbit when u fly back in. Another was just leaving the solar system by boosting away for the entire 22 minutes... that one was just boring after I had already basically done that, just not long enough and then i jumped out of my ship for fun and it wasn't fun. Then a couple more, land on sun station or land the model lander on something hard, idk. Now I look and there's a whole 18 achievements I got locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

[/spoiler]
After the ending I think I stewed in the melancholy of it for a bit. The universe is ending, no matter where you go or what you do it can’t be escaped or stopped, not even if you’re a Nomai. It’s the universe after all.

Some form of the Hearthian story was probably repeated countless times across the universe - a species that simply had the bad luck to evolve when it had literally no chance to go further than it already had.

I don't think they had bad luck at all, in fact, they had the best luck and one of the greatest privileges of all species to have ever lived in any universe. Both in that being witness to such a universally monumental event that all intelligent-enough lifeforms must grapple with, but also getting to be one of the only species to never really fail at the mission/point of life. Almost like retiring undefeated, in a universe filled with countless losers who went extinct long before the end of the universe. What's more, they were able to "seed" the new universe with themselves in a unique way available to them. Given the circumstances, that's a miraculous way for a lifeform to carry out it's DNA's simple process or replication and survival beyond the mortal universe it arose in. Humans should be so lucky! We'll go extinct on this lovely rock before we even manage to go one day of human civilization without slavery, let alone come together to travel the stars or even begin to tackle late-universe troubles.