Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it possible to get yourself killed by asphyxiation or blunt-force trauma after crossing the point of no return? On the surface of the Eye.

If you die on the Eye, but before actually going into the vortex, the game will put you back at the vessel right after warping, and if you had done something that would've softlocked you into a 'loop' of game overing then those flags are removed. Once you are inside the vortex fall damage is disabled and trees are everywhere in the Eye so you can't asphyxiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They didn't emerge where they'd intended to, and popped out in the middle of the bramble instead. My assumption is that the space warping of the Dark Bramble simply messed with their warp drive and pulled them inside.

Also remember the Vessel captain demanded they jump immediately, because he was afraid they'd lose the signal soon, which to be fair they basically did, not even letting them alert any other Nomai. I assume, that meant they jumped before verifying the coordinates they were punching in wasn't inside some kind of spatial anomaly that happens to be bigger on the inside and might, potentially, gently caress with however a black hole warp device works.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Greader posted:

It got brought up a while back, but it is a really neat thing

I also heard that after doing that, you can jump into the black hole a second time and get a slightly different result, but I forgot to test that one to see whether that is true or not

It's true, but it's pretty minor in terms of dialogue. They, (you?) do have a response to manually landing on the Sun Station though.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 23, 2020

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this only if you've done it those particular loops or at all during your expedition?

I'm not sure unfortunately, I don't own the game and the wiki only says you need to have done it. But, it does place it under the second loop or later category so maybe it only cares that it happened?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

Some thoughts (spoilered because of references to the base game, not because I think random speculation needs spoiler tags):

We don't know what, if anything, the deal is with Ghost Matter. Other than maybe being literally formed from Nomai souls?

We know the Interloper brought Ghost Matter from outside the system, or at least a very high concentration of it and that the Nomai made no mention of finding anything like it elsewhere and the specific log detailing them exploring the Interloper didn't describe Ghost Matter by any name beyond calling it "...some form of exotic matter." I'm of the opinion that it's some kind of weapon that got lost in space and the comet formed around it.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mastajake posted:

So does anything interesting happen if you bring a picture of the quantum moon into the room with the pictures of the solar system? Cause those would potentially conflict, right?

If you mean the observatory then no; the picture of the quantum moon there does not count, sadly.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

they 100% all know they’re dead; they all consciously chose to let themselves rot away in the simulation instead of having a ‘real’ life. so even if they don’t have a ‘sense’ of being dead, i doubt any of them ever planned to wake up

It's debatable that they intended to let their physical bodies die, even if all of them being sim-side at once is pretty suspicous, but considering we find some ghost matter even inside the Stranger it didn't matter once the Interloper entered the system.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

i dunno it's technically ambiguous how long it took between the prisoner freeing the signal and the Nomai showing up, but i find it hard to believe any of the strangers were alive by the time they got there

like they'd either have to have 1. astonishingly long lifespans or 2. be raising countless new generations of children on a spaceship they hate being on

I guess it does depend on how fast the eye signal 'travels' seeing as the Prisoner didn't seem to have left the signal on for very long before being found out. That's definitely one thing the slides don't really bother conveying even when showing things that should take longer than they appear to, like the slide showing the only time something affects the realworld from inside the simworld.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Shwoo posted:

The protagonist definitely seems to think that there was a huge gap between the Prisoner turning off the cloak and the Nomai receiving the signal. Their slideshow shows the owl aliens' bodies decomposing and the trees in the Stranger dying before it get to the signal still going through space.

There had to at least have been a gap for Dark Bramble to explode, the Hourglass Twins to lose their water, and Brittle Hollow to sprout some ice caps from someplace, but it's not clear how long those things would actually take.

Oh, i hadn't even noticed the different states of the planets in the earlier slides.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Goodguy3 posted:

Thats what I thought too because I didn't advance the slide. My reaction was to kind of start panting and just rush out of the room, and just kind of stand there while my friend who was watching tried to make sense of it.[/i] Since it was so early, and therefore we knew nothing about what was going on, I was already kind of jumpy going into it. It's kind of frustrating to watch in hindsight, haha...

Then the dam broke

Whenever I think of that I just remind myself how wonderful it was to see your first reaction to the supernova.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

My personal favorite Cool Thing moment is still in the High Energy Lab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJfTYwtkWlE&t=10430s

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Need a little hint (I've been avoiding spoilers so forgive me if this is in the thread already)
I've freed the prisoner via the 3 'hacks' and gone outside the jail after the mutual visions and seen his vision of the player and him on the raft together. I'm not sure what to do next. I've gone up the elevator in that zone, but there doesn't seem to be anything to do or interact with. I've also used the raft to go to the island and back to the 'glitched' water, where I can go to one of the forbidden libraries and get access to the main 'simulation' areas. I thought that there might be a clue in the 'fourth' zone with the sarcophagus, but I went there and looked in the portholes, but didn't see anything different.

It seems like there should be a way to turn off the jamming of the Eye, or something, but I'm not sure where to go next.

You're done. They destroyed the controls after The Prisoner used them, there was never anything you could do about that. Besides, who would even receive the Eye's signal in the time the universe has left?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Finally finished the DLC, loved it, cried just like the first time I beat this weird space game. I've got a question about the DLC and the motivations of certain characters, and sorry if this was covered in the hundred pages of this thread I need to catch up on.

Specifically, why were the Owlks so single-minded in their purpose to go to the Eye of the Universe? So they discover the eye's signal and in the slide reel we see all the Owlks gather and start adoring the thing. There were shrines to the Eye on the stranger, so I assume they built an entire religion and such around the eye. But my question is, what did they see in the Eye that drove them to a level of devotion where they were willing to raze their entire planet just to make a ship that would let them live closer to the thing? The Nomai went to the eye because something about the signal told them that the Eye was something older than the universe and they wanted to check it out. But just seeing something really really old wouldn't, in my mind, justify the impulse to destroy your own home and make it into a whole religion. The Owlks have that unique way of scanning and communicating involving visual images, so maybe they saw something about the Eye's incredible creative potential and only after parking next to the thing did they realize that going into it would destroy the universe before creating a new one?

Maybe I've talked myself into an answer, but I'm curious what other people think and if the devs have ever offered any insights anywhere about this.

The Owlks only got part of the message, they knew the eye would destroy the universe but never got the portion that said it would then create a new universe, I think that part is shown when you finally free the prisoner. This is why they were so enraged and dismayed that they sealed the eye off and it was only through the prisoner briefly opening it that the Nomai found the signal, which then disappeared due to the Owlks re-sealing it and the prisoner. As for why they converted their entire world, I think the game never mentions exactly why, but I suppose it could have been some kind of weirdness involving their tech and culture, the Owlks seem to not like leaving their planet, despite clearly having the tech, is the impression I got so they decided to bring their world with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Your timeline is wrong. They don't see the universe dying until after they've destroyed their home planet. That's why it's tragic.

I didn't say they got that before they destroyed their homeworld.