Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So since I only watched the game dozens of times and never played it myself, I bought it finally and dusted off the VR headset i haven't been using for the last 7 months. It's... definitely an experience. Strangely I'm 100% okay with the flying in zero G but walking up hills makes my head hurt in VR. Strange how our brains work. That said everything feels absolutely crazy and new with this sense of depth you get in VR.

That said though... if anyone is using NomaiVR, is there a better way to equip your tools? having to pull them from an imaginary belt is slightly annoying especially for the translator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I encourage anyone who played the game and has a VR headset to give the mod a try. It's absolutely amazing how huge and real everything feels with it. I guess I'm really lucky because i have absolutely zero motion sickness flying in zero G in VR, it's more the walking on planets that gives me issues. I still have to curb my speed though and given the clunky controls of tools in the VR mod I doubt anyone could ever play the game this way as a first attempt, but it's really great for visiting places you love in the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The music thing was an elaborate long term trolling effort, I was there for all the streams.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
A lot of people never realize the scout shows a "structural integrety %" on Brittle Hollow. It can very useful to keep watch on some things.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ciaphas posted:

that brings to mind a game-mechanics question about the base game ending & one of the easter egg endings

if you jump into the ATP black hole, then on the next loop do the vessel warp & get all the way into The Hole, does the fabric of spacetime still tear apart & trigger the easter egg credits at 22 minutes? (I know it does if you make it to the planet but run out of time before you get to the south pole & make the leap. Poor Vinny, having the mood utterly destroyed like that :xd:)

Yes, it happens and it ruined at least one streamers ending.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
HUD blindness is a big issue for a lot of people I watched play this game. ( think its almost 20 different lets players over the years now)

Some of the most common things people miss:

- Being able to rotate the scout cam when placed
- Switching to photo mode (the most common one by far)
- The signalscope being able to pick up new frequencies (the unknown signal nearby is not enough to make them understand they have to use the scope)
- Ship computer being able to set waypoints to things you visited before

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The Joseph Anderson streams were pretty amazing for echoes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yes use the scout to avoid the pockets. Not everything is covered in it

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

MikeJF posted:

You don't need to launch the scout, there's a camera that will let you take photos directly to show ghost matter. (I think? It's been a while.)

Left/right on the dpad to switch. Tons of people ignore this for some reason.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Goons a year ago: more outer wilds this is the best poo poo ever.

Goons now: man this dlc sucks balls .

Personally I think it's brilliant but the execution is awkward at times.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I mean that's the point. They literally had to redesign their portraits several times cause people didn't have bad /scary enough impressions of them according to the noclio podcast with the devs.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I want to know a few things. which shards have you visited? Did you manage to land on the moon actually?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Really? I've watched over 20 playthroughs and never have seen this been an issue. You can also easily test this in several areas where objects move around, so I don't understand why it is so difficult to grasp.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks. I think it's kind of mean spirited to assume other people will have an issue just because you yourself had problems with a certain puzzle and just outright spoil it for everyone.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Inferior Third Season posted:

It can be interpreted as taking a picture makes the scout the "observer", which must then maintain line-of-sight in the same way that the character must maintain line-of-sight.

This interpretation is completely consistent with previous observed behavior of how the game universe functions, and you can easily make it all the way through the tutorial section thinking that it works this way rather than the way it actually works.

I'll admit that only a minority of people interpret it this way, but it has come up repeatedly in the thread, so I am certainly not the only one. And once you have the wrong mechanic in your head, the game doesn't really have any way of correcting your misunderstanding. You just have to do insanely elaborate setups to try and make everything fit the requirements of the faulty interpretation when you need to go to the quantum moon.

It does not make sense sadly, the Quantum objects need A conscious observer. Otherwise any object with a lens would lock in the quantum moon or quantum objects, like the orbital satellite. The important fact is that you, the player, observe the photo/image of the quantum object in place. By your logic the map satellite would permanently lock the quantum moon into place.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also 90% of the difficult puzzles in this game that stump most players can be Solved with the scout. Lakebed rock? Put a scout on it and turn around, it will teleport away with the rock. Tower of Quantum Knowledge? Scout will show integrity and let you find the tower easily after it breaks. ATP teleport? Put a scout on the teleport pad to see when the teleport window starts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just finished About Oliver's LP of the game, and boy howdy, do I have some thoughts.

But just as he concluded the last episode, he said "Maybe I'll play another game", so I check his channel, and sure enough, he just did 24 hours ago.

And it's gonna be a loving banger of a ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rnThnGKeko

Hell. loving. Yes.

You skipped him doing obra dinn as well then.