Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm a stubborn motherfucker and found a way to actually climb up the broken gravity towers to Black Hole Forge. The whole time I was like "this is TERRIBLE game design, there's no way this is the intended route!" The next day I asked my friend if he got annoyed with the same part and he laughed at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I don't see why so many people have trouble with the angler fish on the way to the Vessel. You don't have to be especially careful or anything, just gun the engine as much as you can before entering the danger node and then don't touch the controls until you've safely drifted past the assholes. The sequence is a bit unnerving maybe, but requires no actual finesse whatsoever.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

GhostDog posted:

So are there actually clues to figure out how to get into the tower of quantum knowledge or is it completely reliant on having been at the right place at the right time to see the solution play out? I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky or too dense to continue with this :)

I'll try to provide some clues without completely giving the answer away. They're ordered in succession of how spoilery they are, so if one gives you an idea on how to progress, don't read the next one.

To address your question: You do need to wait past a certain time, but it's not a window of time. After this point passes, you can access the tower until the end of the cycle.

It has to do with what's happening to Brittle Hollow.

Have you tried jumping into the black hole in the center of the planet?

You're not the only thing that warps to the white hole.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Regarding the Sun Station, you absolutely can land on it just by flying your ship close enough and bailing at the right time. Your ship will almost certainly fall into the sun, though. Also, you don't have to get to the Sun Station warp before the cacti are uncovered. With a bit of finesse you can maneuver through them with your jet pack.

Two Owls posted:

What, the part of them with an obvious blue-lightning visual effect? Leave off, game.

Yeah, this messed me up too. Not only do they have a lightning effect, which in just about every game ever made translates to "this deals damage if you touch it!!", but the drat things are situated right next to a giant ball, covered in a very similar lightning effect, that actually DOES deal damage to you.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I could be totally off on this, but from what I remember, heat death of the universe was only mentioned in passing in one of the Nomai writings. I don't think it was directly implicated as the cause of the Hearthian star, or any of the other stars, going supernova. The cause for that was basically just that the universe is in a very old/advanced stage at this point, and a bunch of the older stars are now reaching the ends of their lives.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

I try to stay on the ground, but when the island itself hits the ground it's just instant death. Have I just been unlucky with physics wonkyness?

If you literally do nothing and just stand there, you'll typically survive. Failing that, you can hold Ctrl (not sure what the button is on a controller) to jetpack downward to plant yourself. Your likelihood of dying is directly related to the distance between you and the ground when the island hits the water.

[very minor spoiler] That said, I don't recall ever having a reason to get launched up with an island. It's more something that just happens if you spend too much time on one island.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Something that's been bugging me ever since I beat the game (spoilers involving the nature of Ember Twin): How did the Nomai actually live in the Sunless City? Their messages indicate that Ember and Ash Twin constantly trade the sand back and forth, so the planet filling up with sand isn't just some last-22-minutes-time-loop thing that only the modern Hearthians have to deal with (like with Brittle Hollow's implosion, which obviously only happens once). Even the Nomai signs helping you find your way there tell you to hurry before the passages fill with sand, but when that happens the city fills up with sand too. I was thinking maybe in the past they had bulkhead doors or something to keep the city sealed in, but I don't remember seeing any remnants of such things and in a game like this you'd think that would have at least been mentioned somewhere.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Just finished this last night

So I managed to do everything but the vessel last so I originally thought the interloper exploded the sun (because of the volatile crystals in it) and the fact that the sun blows up 2 minutes after it ends up flying into the sun. But according to the Nomai they found out the universe itself was dying? It made more sense to me considering the sun changes color long before the interloper flies into it, and when you talk to Chert you find out that many other stars are exploding. But it was a little strange that the Nomai were worried about the universe dying many millennia ago, but there was also still enough time for your species to evolve and start exploring space?

Still, this is definitely one of my top favourite games of all time. I haven't played a game in a long time that instills this sense of wonder, adventure, dread and fear all in one. I love it

ElBrak posted:

The messages in the ship about the universe dying are from Nomai who are still around, not the Nomai who died in your solar system.

From what I remember, none of the Nomai messages seemed seriously concerned about the universe eventually ending. It was more of just a grim musing over what they knew would eventually happen, even if nobody who was alive at the time would actually be affected by it. Makes me wonder if the game devs drew inspiration from https://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
(All endgame stuff)

I think a lot of people panic when they get to the end sequence because the track that starts playing when you remove the warp module sounds very similar to the track that plays when the sun is about to explode. But assuming you grabbed the module as soon as you were able to warp into Ash Twin's core, you should have more than enough time to travel to the Vessel at your leisure. I haven't timed it, but I think it's not even half way through the cycle by the time the sand clears.

And as someone else stated, if you've been to the Vessel before, you don't need to use your frequency tracker or your probe launcher to locate it. Just go to your ship log and mark it as your destination of interest.

There's no RNG involved with the angler fish (unless they've updated this since I last played). Everything should be a safe, straight shot, until the last part where you just get a bit of momentum and coast past the blind idiots. You don't even need to wait out the last bit of your momentum if you don't feel like it because they're not that fast, so you can just gun it to the last seed if that's how you prefer to play.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Teledahn posted:

I meant the whole thing, but I realize my issue is more with getting lost and being unable to retrace my steps than actually being impeded. Whenever I go to that planet I don't try to physically leave, instead using Gabbro's technique.

Dark Bramble mechanics If you immediately enter and back out of a bramble node, you'll be brought back to the outside of the planet

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
On the subject of text colors, has anyone figured out what the significance is of the golden Nomai messages (as opposed to the majority of them which are silver/white)? Are those the ones that actually update your ship log when you read them?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Digirat posted:

I believe those only show up on messages from projection stones, and mean that the message was written from the other location

Oh poo poo, that actually makes a lot of sense!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Imhotep posted:

I highly underestimated this game's potential as far as like, actual scary poo poo, and thought that people were overstating how creepy it is, but it's pretty wild to see the black hole refracting light from everything, while you slide on your face across a huge landscape that's floating in space and the UI is flashing bright red because you collided with that landscape really quickly making everything more jarring.

Day9 gave the game a try a few weeks ago and practically had a panic attack from this

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jjac posted:

There's no shame in these solutions, they are totally in-character.

I've always been entering the city by finding a hole in the surface, flying under the crust and parking awkwardly on the bridge but apparently there's been a shortcut from the surface to the meltwater district all this time??

Yep, it's one of those "secrets" that the player is intended to initially find as their way out, like the cave near the gravity cannon on Ember Twin that leads to the Sunless City.

I'm surprised so many people flew their ship under the surface and up to the upside down floor near Black Hole Forge. For some reason it never occurred to me to do that.

I just brute force platformed my way up the broken elevator lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

This is coming out on Steam on 6/18 if anyone missed that

Thanks for the heads up! I have a few friends who were interested in the game but didn't want to bother with Epic Games Store.

I'll also probably buy it again on Steam myself, just to support the devs some more, and so I don't have to reinstall Epic if I ever feel like playing again.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Considering how Epic has been pouring money into exclusive deals and extremely marked down/free games, in a desperate attempt to make their platform relevant and usurp Steam's throne at any cost, I'm gonna guess you're correct on that one

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Landing mode is for chumps anyway, just sit in your seat and aim at the horizon as you descend

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fwoderwick posted:

Now I'm left wondering if I can convince someone I know to stream playing it with me so I can vicariously experience the first time feeling again...

A lot of people have mentioned this game's extreme lack of replayability, since everything is knowledge-based, but honestly it's the most vicariously enjoyable game I think I've ever encountered. Just watching people struggle to understand what they're dealing with for a while, only to eventually go "OOOOHHH THAT'S HOW IT WORKS" is so much fun. It's like a different type of replayability IMO.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
One horrible thing I can't stop thinking about : what if, by the time the sun was ready to explode, the Hearthians weren't yet advanced enough to have space exploration, but still had managed to discover the statue that the player character links with? Everyone else would just die and the universe would presumably end without another one being created, which sucks, sure--but the protagonist would be stuck in a never ending loop on Timber Hearth. There would be no hope of escaping, since even suicide would just bring them back to the start again. They'd have to remain conscious while the same 22 minutes play out literally an infinite number of times. Their only chance would be to single handedly develop some form of space travel within those 22 minutes, which... probably isn't going to happen no matter how much knowledge is accrued, since anything they build would be temporary.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Probably not. As far as I remember, the statue was brought back to Timberhearth. If they never achieved space travel, they never would get linked to a statue, so they'd just die over and over again forever.

Huh, I thought they dispersed the statues to the other planets, I guess as a safety measure in case something went wrong on just one of them. Either way, it doesn't change much; theoretically it would be possible for a being to be trapped this way, given the right circumstances. Just the fact that the Nomai were able to create what is potentially an artificial hell like this is pretty chilling to think about. It's hard to imagine a worse fate.

Also, they wouldn't "die over and over again forever." They'd just die once. Nothing in the universe is "looping" other than the information being sent back from the orbital probe cannon. Even referring to that as a loop is a bit of a misnomer.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Great game though. I really hope they make another, with a bigger solar system, bigger planets, animal life???,

This game already had more than enough animal life imo :colbert:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Wow, this question and logic actually made me realize that the weird timing requirements of the Big Event are probably explicitly done so you can't have time to attempt what you were thinking here.

Can't? I feel tempted to take on this challenge...

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Talorat posted:

If you want to do that, probably you will have to Visit the high energy lab first, open the door to the outside, THEN go to the dark bramble, as I think otherwise the path will become covered in sand before you can possibly get there.

I am additionally curious as to what will happen if you try to slot the working warp core into the high energy lab, although I suspect the answer is nothing

Yep, that would be the plan.

And yeah, I'm 99.9% sure there's absolutely nothing you can do with the advanced warp core in the High Energy Lab.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think a lot of people hear the end-game track that starts playing when you remove the ATP core and misinterpret it as being the supernova track because of the similarity, and start rushing way harder than necessary. Assuming you grab the core as early as possible, you should have enough time to complete the whole run with 10~ minutes to spare. Even if you miss the first or second pass of the sand column you'll have plenty of time to take it slowly through Dark Bramble.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
A few days ago I was hanging out with an old friend whom I had mentioned this game to several times. I told him it's pretty much a masterpiece, and that he and his girlfriend need to get it because they'll absolutely love it (we have a lot of similar taste in games) and it's available on Steam now so you don't have to deal with that Epic exclusive poo poo anymore. I was meticulous in making sure not to spoil anything, only giving abstract descriptions of the nature of the game. I had even offered to buy it for him, but he refused, saying he'd definitely check it out.

Anyway, fast forward to when we're hanging out. I mentioned the game, asking if he's planning to pick it up soon. He goes "Oh yeah, Outer Wilds. Eh, I just went to the wiki and read about everything. It honestly doesn't sound that interesting, especially now that I know the ending, and how the whole supernova gimmick works."

I wanted to loving strangle the guy.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
While I'm not going to drop the dude as a friend over a video game, you can bet your rear end I won't let him live this one down. In the long run, I'm sure he'll forget about most of it within a year or so, since reading about it obviously wouldn't leave as much of an impression as actually playing the game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bought this, this looks really great so I'll try to avoid spoilers, I'm really bad at controlling the ship, I accidentally stumbled unto the missing harmonica player where he told me to follow a vine but when I got to the 'end' of that the planet rotated in a way that through me outside of it and then I died and now when I try to fly back there again a big fish eats me, maybe I should go faster!!!

Could you be a little more specific? Dark Bramble shouldn't be flinging you around in any way while you're exploring it.

Also, regarding controlling your ship better (in response to the person a few posts above) the absolute best tip I can give is to liberally use the "match velocity" feature. Autopilot is convenient for covering long distances, but it's not going to help you maneuver. The landing camera, in my opinion, is more trouble than it's worth. It'll show you the ground you're trying to land on, but all of your flight inputs are rotated on a -90 degree pitch. When landing, just descend while aiming at the horizon. Also, try to familiarize yourself with your ascend and descend thrusters. If you're only operating on the WASD plane, you're going to have to combine rotational movement to go in all directions.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Slum Loser posted:

Oh and hunt achievements, but I think I'm going to give up on doing the sun station landing. I can match pace and even maneuver into the space between the two structures about half the time, but it's impossible to leave the ship due to gravity and bailing out tends to also result in eventual flailing death when I hit those broken bits to stop, or a weird short-lived sun orbit if I miss. I guessing I'm just a bit slow unbuckling and reorienting because I had some close calls, but I don't want to frustrate my memories of this game by falling into the sun another 50 times. In my mind I'm an ace pilot now and Feldspar would be proud.

Most people accomplish this by using the emergency eject button, which launches you out through the front window of your cockpit. Your ship will be destroyed in the process, of course, but it's doubtful you care about that in this situation.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Martman posted:

Yep I definitely did this too, still dunno how I was supposed to get there.

I seem to be very dumb smart at this game. No KSP or other sim experience but I'm very stubborn!

You just use the warp from Ash Twin.

Speaking of stubborn, I originally got up there by carefully platforming up the geometry of the broken elevator. It was pretty annoying and obviously not the intended solution, but gently caress you, game, I did it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I recommend CarlSagan42's run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxowWUanj64

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I brute force platformed my way up the broken elevator purely on foot because I'm stubborn and kind of an idiot

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

queeb posted:

God Ive been to so many places. Explored ember twin and did the sunless city, landed on the quantum moon but don't know what to do with the tower I found, explored ash twin and played with the teleporters there but I'm not sure what to do, did dark Bramble but that just told me how to get to the core of giants deep which I did already.

I feel like I'm circling around the next step which has to be something with the ash twin project

There's definitely a lot more in Dark Bramble than just the clue for how to get to the center of Giant's Deep. When in doubt, you can always look at your ship log to see if a certain point of interest has more to explore.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

queeb posted:

Ok I did the sun station and inside ash twin, that was cool as gently caress

Lol got the bad ending

How'd you get to the sun station? :v:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Are there any other games out there where you have to interact with semi-real orbital mechanics?

If you're looking for something simple/casual, Osmos is a 2D game that does a lot of fun stuff with orbital mechanics. Unfortunately, only certain levels include gravitational forces (about 1/4 of the game IIRC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAsFGaPfGOk&t=10478s
(should be timestamped at 2:54:40 for a good example)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

queeb posted:

i flew my rear end through the fuckin spiky plants on ash twin and took the teleporter, had to fix my suit like 3 times while standing on spike plants, is that the intended way? i made it through anyways lol

haveblue posted:

That's the intended "easy" way. The "hard" way is just fly your loving spaceship right up to the loving sun and jump out the loving airlock and fly through the loving corona with your jetpack and walk in the front loving door like a steely eyed rocket man. A lot of people did it that way first, though, because some people never realize the easy way is feasible (I think they tweaked this after launch)

Just thought I'd mention there's actually an even easier version of the "easy" way. Get to the Sun Station teleporter on Ash Twin ASAP in the cycle and you can just safely walk through the hallway because the sand is high enough to cover the cacti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Outer Wilds but with Kerbal physics, for the true enthusiast