Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I finally got around to playing this last week and I knew eventually I was going to miss something and have to look it up despite not wanting to but I didn't expect how obvious the thing I missed was going to be. I had finished a ton of stuff from getting past the anglerfish and finding the Vessel to using the jellyfish to reach the core of Giant's Deep and even getting into the Ash Twin Project - which seems like the end of the game! - but the Quantum Moon remained baffling. I found a bunch of disparate quantum stuff across the whole time I was playing, including the Tower of Quantum Knowledge, but it always seemed like I was missing a key piece of information.

Turned out I forgot to pinpoint the Quantum signal on Giant's Deep and now I feel real stupid, which is appropriate considering now I'm in a literal tutorial on how to land on the Quantum Moon. I bet there were even some logs on Giant's Deep pointing me toward the temple that I eventually forgot to follow up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pray for my aunt posted:

The trick is that I don't think there are hints about it on Giant's Deep. Seems like most people find it because "wow I wonder if there's something in that giant tornado", but other than that, there's the quantum fluctuations on the signalscope and messages in the Brittle Hollow tower that tell Solanum to go there. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I don't think there's anything at the other places on Gian'ts Deep that mention it, not even Gabbo when you ask him about landmarks.

I'd like to think I would have found it if I had remembered about the signalscope but since a whole lot revolves around Giant's Deep at the start I was still juggling a lot in my head when I went to the surface early on and just kept passing over the giant tornado and never remembered about the scope after I got around to pointing it at the other quantum rocks. And by then the "Unknown" signal I still had just constantly blended in with the other ones. Still, at least I only needed to read the literally the few sentences of a guide so the rest of that storyline is fresh.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A melancholy ending if there ever was one. Still helping create a new universe is certainly a neat way to go.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wish I was in a time loop that didn't send my memory of Outer Wilds back in time so I could play it again for the first time forever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

Okay, I must be so close to the end, but I need a little push in the right direction, maybe someone can give me a clue without giving too much away?

You’re probably missing the exact same thing I managed to miss throughout the entire game, at least when it comes to the quantum moon.

Use your scope while on Giant’s Deep and check all the frequencies and where those lead.

As for the Ash Twin I think that’s the hardest puzzle in the game and I basically discovered it by accident. I’m having trouble thinking of a way to hint at it without just explaining it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

I have found that tower on giant's deep where you have to do all the quantum puzzles. Maybe there was also an island with a quantum stone or something...? I'll revisit those places and give it some more thought, I've been playing through the game pretty slowly and may have forgotten all the details... Thanks folks

Have you managed to land on the quantum moon? That’s rule 1. Think about the other rules.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Or in my case, get the core, fly to the Bramble, manage to hit the engines too early when floating past the angler fish despite never doing that throughout the first game, die, destroy the universe forever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

redreader posted:

and about the interloper yeah I know how to detect ghost matter but I thought it was just marked by those rocks. I suppose I can take pictures of the entrances in case one of them is less ghost mattery, but they're all covered in those ghost rock things so I assumed they were all equally bad.

To get a bit more specific have you ever sent your probe over/around/near ghost matter and seen what happens?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The code you found will display automatically on your HUD when it needs to be.

Since you already looked up the quantum moon I won’t be too wordy but did you finish the quantum trials? They all touch on a point you need to get to the north poor. The lake bed on one of the Twins you mentioned also introduces another element, being in darkness (ie. turning off your flashlight) counts as “not observing” and will cause a position shift, which is important for getting to the north. I don’t think that was mentioned in the trials anyways.

Full spoiler for navigating the interloper: If I remember right you eventually end up in a cave with 3 openings to continue, all of them covered in ghost matter. One of these openings you will juuuust be able to slip through the middle without dying.. I think I’m remembering that right?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think getting inside the Ash Twin is really obscure. You're either going to notice what you need or you won't and its never going to click. It sucks but if there's one thing I would tell people to look up it's how to do that if its taking too long.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For the Southern Observatory you can get there on foot just fine but you have to get there fairly early on and the paths can be a bit of a maze.. You then find out you can’t get to the top because the walkways are broken, the intended way is to wait until it falls into the black hole and comes out at the white hole.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m going with probably because there’s a lot of stuff to remember.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s not really “extra” so much as it is a small acknowledgment of what you did.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’d call it more melancholy than anything else. It’s the end of not just your star but the end of the entire universe. Even the seemingly most advanced species in the universe could ride it out and stay barely ahead. Only thing left to do is just enjoy what you have and let the next thing take over.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RattiRatto posted:

Just decided to install this - anything I should know before jumping in?

Don't do what I did and forget about the Signalscope halfway into the game and then wonder "Why can't I find some of these things?"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RattiRatto posted:

So first couple of hours have been very enjoyable. World building very good.
After the tutorial village I managed to get a couple of times in the first moon (forgot the name) so here is a question - do not answer if the answer contains spoilers: I have died a grand total of 3 times to the sun going nova (first 2 times it was in indoor so I got very confused) and it feels this is going to be a constant but it is too a short time for me to get the hang of anything before I wake up again. Will the time between loops increase / is there a way to stop it or delay it (don't want spoilers here, just a yes/no) or do I just need to get better at piloting and stop wasting hours landing and taking off?

The thing is, you’ve got hours to waste. In game anyways.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I wish I hadn't died during my first try on this. Getting past that initial fish always felt like a crapshoot. Needed a few more practice runs.

I went back through the fish a few times and after dying the first time never had any trouble. As soon as I had the core and went back for the last time was the trip it looked like I was going to clip one so I hit the thrusters. I was probably not actually going to clip one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Colonel J posted:

Getting to the vessel on Dark Bramble is the most frustrating thing I've ever done. I died more than 5 times and each time you have to go back to the escape pod and throw the scout through the seed. I was only able to do it by getting out of my ship so I didn't make too much noise and of course ran out of fuel and wasn't able to get back to my ship in time. I shudder at the thought of having to do that again.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean but if you’re saying you have to do that to know which hole to go through there’s a very handy feature in the computer you wouldn’t be the first to miss.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Colonel J posted:

I'm talking about not making too much noise to alert the anglerfish. I'm pretty bad at it.

Oh for them on keyboard it’s harder than it should be because you’re either going full thrust or going 0 thrust. Controllers can vary the amount of thrust which lets them go slightly faster past the anglers. That said while entering the seed pod to the next area resets your velocity it reset your velocity to a non-zero amount so the trick on keyboard is to keep your hands off the thrusters as soon as the transition happens and just drift. As long as you don’t move at all you will come nervously close to the anglerfish but you should be able to just slide past them. You can book it after a minute or so after they go past your cockpit

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I will become mildly excited for this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If it is game DLC it seems likely it won’t be inserted into the original game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

My Traveler also canonically died in the belly of a fish, after 'surviving' countless way-more-epic deaths. RIP :negative:

uuuuugh that would've given the whole game such a different vibe; just thinking about Dark Bramble still fills me with sphincter-clenching dread.

...but literally nothing is as scary to me as Giant's Deep. I look forward to replaying this game some day, but holy poop I do not relish the thought of having to do that again. gently caress The Ocean, indeed. :nms:

The bramble didn’t really bug me as much as you but :same: for Giants Deep to some extent. Probably because I’ve seen stuff like the Dark Bramble many times before but a deep dark ocean, no matter how safe it actually is in the game, is always going to at least be unnerving.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You never had me, you never had your instrument.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the rock in the cave is basically just there to teach you that complete darkness counts as “not observing” so don’t focus too much on it.

Also don’t forget to check your rumors board in the ship (it has two display modes!) because that can at the very least let you know when you’ve found all the important parts of a thread in a location.

Also also just because this is the one thing I managed to forget about and it turned out to be super important remember to discover all the unknown signals on your scope.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking personally again the end of the Ash Twin is one of the few things I had to look up and I still think the clue is pretty insufficient.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

(I've gone back and scanned the remaining "unknown" signals on your recommendation, curious to see what that does!)

In my case I had found every one of them except the Quantum Temple on Giants Deep which was kind of important!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My piloting at the start of the game was way faster and aggressive (and destructive) than it was by the end of the game when I realized that you have more than enough time to do everything you want to do in a loop, with the possible exception of the rising sand at the twins and one or two paths at the hollow.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's definitely a few jumps like that but I don't think any of them are mandatory and may not even have unique information behind them. Just might be the first place you get it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Colonel J posted:

What do the colors mean on the rumor board? I'm indeed still missing a couple of things. I'm just due for a little break I think :D

Colour is just which thread that path is related to. I don’t think? there’s a way to miss any new ? threads because I think solving something will always give you something new to go find until you found everything.

If there aren’t any more paths to follow on the board and you don’t quite know what to do or perhaps more importantly why you could do it you may have just overlooked the significance of something you found earlier. Big revelations usually have big spots on the rumour board.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you care to read any (vey minor, very gently nudging) hints (and since I can't quite tell if you found what I'm thinking of yet) make sure you visit all the signals on your Signalscope but especially the unidentified ones. They will take to some important places.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

One thing I wish I’d figured out sooner is that you need to stay close to a radio signal’s source and point at it for a bit with your device to identify it. Just finding the source or landing on it is not enough. This might help you figure out what to explore next when you feel like you have exhausted your current leads.

Also this tip regarding the scope.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Technically you have all the time in the universe! The game’s universe at least.

All of them are important to visit and remember about though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, also another very useful thing that some people didn’t notice. The computer on your ship has two modes and the rumour mode, the one that doesn’t show the planets and objects, is very useful for knowing if you still have more to find somewhere!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Can I ask how specifically the scouter helped you on this one? (I've kinda got a guess, but I don't want to spoil anything by guessing wrong)

I’m also kind of curious because getting into the ATP was one of like three things I had to look up. The others being how to get to the top floor of the Quantum temple on Brittle Hollow and where to learn the quantum lessons was. The latter because I had found every other unknown signal on the scope and then promptly forgot about it :negative: It’s why my first piece of advice is to always make sure you have found all the unknown signals.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I want to say you learn basically everything of importance somewhere except of course for what the Eye of the Universe actually is but you can’t have everything.

It’s hard to recall unless you find all the related things in wick order though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

I did it. I finished Outer Wilds.

A loooooot to unpack in this. A+ game.

I think it’s fair to just assume that time just doesn’t work the same in the Eye. Also if you do remove the core and fail to reach the Vessel and the Eye in time you get a “you are dead” but for real message because you broke the loop. You get to loop anyways because you’re still playing a video game.

After the ending I think I stewed in the melancholy of it for a bit. The universe is ending, no matter where you go or what you do it can’t be escaped or stopped, not even if you’re a Nomai. It’s the universe after all.

Some form of the Hearthian story was probably repeated countless times across the universe - a species that simply had the bad luck to evolve when it had literally no chance to go further than it already had. You can see this play out in small part if you go back to Chert on the Ember Twin several times throughout a loop. He observes more and more stars dying, an impossible event in such a short time. I don’t remember if he sees anything happening in the Hearthian’s own star but he comprehends and he’s panicked. You’re a video game protagonist! Surely you can do something! Well no, you can’t. It’s the universe after all.

So what can you do when the universe is ending? Well the only thing you can do is ride it out the best you can. The Nomai, a centuries (millennia?) long quasi-nomadic wandering species, find the best place they can and pull everyone together one last time. It’s a joyous event for them. The Hearthians aren’t given that kind of scale of opportunity but, through some quasi-semi-divine providence, what they can do gather who can be found, and maybe, just maybe, start the next universe off with a song.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I don't think they had bad luck at all, in fact, they had the best luck and one of the greatest privileges of all species to have ever lived in any universe. Both in that being witness to such a universally monumental event that all intelligent-enough lifeforms must grapple with, but also getting to be one of the only species to never really fail at the mission/point of life. Almost like retiring undefeated, in a universe filled with countless losers who went extinct long before the end of the universe. What's more, they were able to "seed" the new universe with themselves in a unique way available to them. Given the circumstances, that's a miraculous way for a lifeform to carry out it's DNA's simple process or replication and survival beyond the mortal universe it arose in. Humans should be so lucky! We'll go extinct on this lovely rock before we even manage to go one day of human civilization without slavery, let alone come together to travel the stars or even begin to tackle late-universe troubles.

In the context of the Outer Wilds, which is really the best context for something that takes place in Outer Wilds :v:, and on a philosophical scale yes the Hearthians specifically are impossibly lucky. As channeled by Chert I just think if you asked them if they would like to maybe sort of kind of possibly influence the development of the next universe or just keep on existing for a while longer they’d probably go with the latter. There’s of course no choice in the end so it’s bad luck followed at least some part of good luck.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VideoGames posted:

So the probe is a conscious being? Or am I just leaning too much on those words? That is what confused me. The conscious being. I guess I did not think of the orbital probe as a conscious being. this is why I went back and forth!

This is my mistake. Apologies!

Also got a spiffy new avatar courtesy of the chat thread :D So wonderful :D

I think you are. It seems like you’ve got the big picture outside the stuff you haven’t done yet so don’t get bogged down too much in the details. They can come out later (by clicking on the mass of spoiler boxes across the last few pages!)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shwoo posted:

Hey, if the Nomai had succeeded, what would it have been like to be in a loop where the statues didn't pair? The project doesn't seem to have been a secret, so they'd have to know that the sun was about to explode and kill everyone. At least in the actual game, Chert was the only one outside the loop who noticed.

It doesn't. After you warp, the sun is visible out the front window of the Vessel as a large orange star, and you can watch it blow up from there or from the surface.

The Nomai in the system died from the ghost matter explosion thousands and thousands of years before the Hearthians came along. The attempt to purposely blow up the sun had just failed when everyone was killed so all the equipment they set up to harness the supernova’s energy was still active. That equipment was still waiting when the supernova occurred naturally. Once the “first” supernova happened 9 million + loops ago it kicked in.

What Chert was seeing over the course of a loop was dozens of other observable stars also going nova. That’s not something which should happen, unless the universe was ending (the universe was ending).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1stGear posted:

the way you get into the ash twin project is kind of lame

I don’t think it’s lame but I think the hint they give you just isn’t quite enough but then again VG got it without looking it up so maybe I’m the problem.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dodgeblan posted:

I too was completely bowled over by this game!

There's so much sci-fi that try's to do the encounter with the cosmic truth, and that cosmic truth is LOVE but it's basically never worked for me. Outer Wilds does it and makes it feel incredibly profound. I don't know how they pulled it off when no one else can but they're god drat geniuses.

In the case of Outer Wilds its more of love of knowledge. Not just the potential of knowledge - lets call this kind of knowledge "quantum knowledge" - but the actual act of going to something, observing it, and collapsing the state of that knowledge into something tangible and knowable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Velius posted:

I'm playing this with my 10 year old, and we're taking turns finding things out. I'm kind of hitting a wall, though, in that I really don't know what to do about the following:

1. Deep Getting through to the inner core. I can get down below the currents, I've found Feldspar and his little hidden jellyfish, and got the hint they're insulators. But I can't do anything with them to get through, if I touch them they zap me, if I use the ship they zap the ship. I'd love a non-spoilerific answer to whether it's just fiddly controls and I'm supposed to just do something very precise with a hitbox, or if there's more to it that I'm missing, so I don't lose my mind.

2. Dark Bramble. Feldspar suggested I probe around to avoid randomly running into anglerfish. I know the Vessel and escape pod 3 are on the planet somewhere, but it certainly seems like my probes do nothing but warp back to Feldspar's house. I'm assuming I'm missing something here as well, like needing to launch them from certain spots (the nodes between warps seem like a possility).

Could I get some non-spoiler tips on these?

1) so if you can’t use the ship with the jellyfish what else could you use? Where does the insulation usually go to protect another thing?

2) I’m not sure what you mean with the probes. Probes will warp back to you. He just means that you shouldn’t blindly head toward a point of light while in the Bramble but instead send a probe toward one to see if it’s safe or not.