Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The expiring Epic store coupon convinced me to spend it on something even though I've just used Epic as a free game repository so far, my god I'm glad I did that. What an incredible game this is. I hope the Steam release will give it a newfound spike of attention, because god does it deserve it.

The truly remarkable thing with it is that concrete progression is normally a very important thing to me; unlockables, achievements, and the like. This game kept me hooked even though it has none of that, almost all of the progression is through knowledge alone. A perfect example of that is the back entrance to Sunless City. It's literally just a hole that leads right to the door, no one-way doors or anything. But unless you leave through it you'll have no idea it's there since it's so easy to pass over.

And they used that gradual doling out of information absolutely masterfully with the Sun Station. I went most of the game seeing how nice and conscientious the Nomai are. Then I find that the Sun Station isn't merely a tad iffy like I thought, but that they were going to blow up the sun, and I felt betrayed not only by the Nomai, but by the writers, for turning the story from something enjoyable into a story of science gone wrong, a cliche that never fails to bug the hell out of me. Then I found the truth of it, that not only did the station not even work, but that if their plan had gone off correctly the Sun Station would technically never be used. And at first I felt relief at that, but then it dawned on me that, if the Nomai weren't responsible, that I couldn't stop it. There was no doomsday machine to heroically turn off. There's just such a wonderful mixture of emotions throughout this whole game.

The one thing I wish the game had was more dialogue options with the other Hearthians, it feels weird I can barely tell poor Hornfels anything. The best conversation in the game is with yourself. Also, Chert playing the drums while having their mental breakdown is a little... jarring. Maybe it's a good coping mechanism.

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Some questions about everyone's least favorite ash twin puzzle and how they did it(endgame spoilers, obviously):

Did you know the thing you needed for the vessel was in there?

Did you figure out how to warp inside on your own? Did you do it intentionally or by accident?

Did you know how the warp pads work? (not only does it need to line up with "a target" but you also need to touch the pad at some point during that window)

Did you play before or after the 1.04 patch that added more hints? (IIRC, wording was changed at white hole station texts, murals were switched between the time loop experiment room and the black hole forge, and more text was added... I think the glowy pulsing effect on the warp pads was added in that patch too)

Plus waiting around is a huge pain in the rear end am I riiiiight???

I can't come to any real conclusion because I played the game completely out of order, but I'm curious to hear how much of the difficulty was a specific red herring-type distraction or just not seeing an optional text entry somewhere.

1: Yes, though I saved it for last in all the other options I suspected like the Forge and Sun Station. I remember being annoyed I couldn't do drat near anything in the Forge, since it took me ages to actually get there (I put off Ash Twin for most of the game).

2: I had to look it up. I was convinced the answer was to wait until the very end, after all the sand drains over, since thematically it would be so striking to escape the supernova by a hair into a chamber that's immune to it. It just had to be the answer. That the actual answer is to just stand under a bridge was sorta disappointing, honestly. And obnoxiously it comes so close to teleporting you at the end, but like 10 seconds before Ember Twin goes over you the nova blows you up. I honestly wondered if the answer was to somehow take advantage of the 0.0001 second warp delay to buy enough time.

3: I didn't really understand why the Ash Twin teleporter would warp me downward unlike all the others, but I assumed it did something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

Wait, what does the new hint tell you, exactly?

That one final puzzle was tough to get but they need to be careful cause if someone finds that location too early it'll ruin the plot for them.

There's a discussion on the wall in the Black Hole Forge that tells you there's a 5-second window for using the teleporters (with a moving diagram next to it that teaches it visually and there's a new scroll of a Clary and Poke argument that mentions how both Ember and Ash Twin's alignment point is between the two.

I think it's a really big push towards the ATP solution, but anyone who manages to get to the Black Hole Forge has probably got a pretty good handle on things already.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 22, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best look you can get at the pre-bramble planet is when the quantum moon is orbiting it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Cause from the player's perspective, that's it. That's the story. Your memories are never sent back in time so you would have no recollection of anything happening beyond that. But more importantly, since you're dead whenever The Eye is located, the statue would pair with one of the guys in the observatory instead of you so you would never be aware of anything beyond the loop you were in, most likely forever.

Somewhere there's an alternate universe where Hal gets statue linked and has to learn how to fly a spaceship and get to the eye themselves, all while saving their best friend from dying in the same stupid way at the start of every loop.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Apropos of nothing but one of the coolest moments of my playthrough was about halfway through, when I was piecing together the Ash Twin Project and then realized I could use a projection pool to watch inside the Ash Twin core at the end of the loop. What a moment when the music ends and the warp core is unveiled and fires up. I hadn't figured out how to actually get in there yet, but it was a finally a real glimpse into this massive mystery.

...god, of course that would work.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Mobius_Games/status/1387531995568214016

Mobius themselves confirming something's coming. :dance:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1403096364616019968

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

outer wilds is such a complete package I don't want to let myself get too hype - I'm thinking it might just be an asset/reference to outer wilds in another game or something

The focus on the Eye sigil feels way too significant to just be an easter egg. At the same time, though, the architecture there doesn't make any sense in the Outer Wilds universe as we know it - the sigil is specifically a Nomai thing, but that doesn't remotely look like one of their buildings. It looks more like it's Hearthian but that doesn't make any sense so I'm intrigued as hell now.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I am enjoying the good parts of the DLC very much and have already noticed some interesting thematic things which I'll talk about when I'm done. That said, I do hope they tone down the segments people are complaining about because whoof. If your biggest issue with the game was the time limit pressure and having to constantly redo procedures to get back to where you were, this... goes even harder on that stuff lol.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I'm almost done and think it's been great so far and ties in well with the base game. I especially like how it starts with something as innocuous as the satellite tower and reveals itself from there. Minor spoilers while being as vague as possible:

Most of the complaints seem to be that they don't like the stealth sections and that the areas where they take place are too dark. Without giving anything away, I don't see how anyone is getting caught in these sections unless they're deliberately trying to do so or they're like me and get past the stealth sections and then get caught at the end when they don't know what to do next. This isn't Splinter Cell or something where you have to plan your routes or anything like that, the actual mechanics of the stealth are relatively mindless. As for everything being too dark, the areas are small enough that getting lost hasn't been an problem for me.

The issues I'm having are all just a matter of taking everything I've learned and trying to put it together to figure out exactly what the game wants me to do. Much the same as the base game when you're going around the solar system doing everything you need for the final run, but confined within a single area. The base Outer Wilds is in the top five games I've ever played and unless there's something terrible I haven't reached yet I think the DLC holds up to its standard of quality.

I genuinely have no clue how you can see those sections are "relatively mindless". I'm trying to do the canyon manor now and it's absurd. In Splinter Cell you can actually see where you're going, but in this there's a ton of difficulty just finding your way around these maze-like rooms in low light vision, let alone the complete pitch blackness you need to avoid getting spotted by an owl. And the owls WILL see you, because their placement and behavior is really outrageously aggressive - they don't actually wander around like you'd expect, they're parked in front of an important chokepoint and patrol a couple feet away and then turn 360 degrees around, then patrol back. Actual stealth games almost never have guard behavior that aggressive. And I'm having this much trouble even though I accidentally discovered the away-from-lantern-night-vision trick, which apparently the game tells you about AFTER this stealth section?? The manor is absurdly labyrinthine even with the luxury to scout it out.

While writing this post I realized that I can bypass the canyon manor's stealth section entirely via the invisible bridge or the raft elevator, in which case my question changes from "why is this so difficult" to "why is this not IMPOSSIBLE to force the player to look for those other solutions, like the concert hall does".

Also they REALLY should let you define controls for the device specifically. Needing to hold bumper buttons is not comfortable.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 30, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Once I figured out that trick it was smooth sailing (I'd done the tower well village earlier, as far as I can tell that's the only actual mandatory stealth sequence). The solution for getting past the underground lake bell bridge is so drat good.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There are, off the top of my head,

- Artifacts in the small ruined hut, to the right of the space dock entrance you end up at when beelining to the stranger from spawn
- Artifacts in the artifact test chamber at the hull breach
- 1 artifact across the canyon from there, in the movie room

there's probably more that I skimmed past a dozen times without noticing because usually one of the first two were the ones I grabbed

The test chamber also has some of the 2nd-iteration closed-off artifacts in a crate in the corner. Using one at a fire... works about as well as you'd think.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

What happens with the power thing in the bridge room by the dam? After the lights flicker the solar panels engage and it seems like the station is drawing more and more power. Is that why we don't die in fire, because the station rockets away with the power generated from the supernova?

Nailed it. The Stranger actually starts moving away the moment the solar panels engage, speeding up drastically once it finally explodes. You can watch that display the whole loop and it shows the progression:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're wondering about new NPC dialogue, the only new ones I could find are for Gabbro and Hal, both of which are triggered pretty early on in the DLC.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

I just watched a slide of a space deer man clip himself out of bounds during a map load transition as an intended viewing experience and essential game mechanic and something about him being unanimated made me lose my poo poo. I don't care what happened before now. This dlc is amazing.

It's so loving good lmao

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zodack posted:

Okay I'm finally in the thick of the stealth sections proper and what were they thinking? This is atrocious - I have no idea where I am and still aren't even sure of the Owl mechanics. If they see me I'm dead? If they see me I go dark and they search and then... what's their radius? I swear I was hunted by one of these things for a while. Man, I just want to go back to exploration and putting puzzle pieces together. I'm even on less frights.

A tip: the only stealth sequence you actually need to do is the tower's dream.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 1, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

The dam is probably very old but has been static for so long. When the mechanisms of the station react to the changing sun the vibrations probably induce the already weakened structure to cascade. I believe you can see water start to leak through only after 6 minutes.

It's absolutely this. You can see the dam's physical integrity by attaching the probe to it, and it's at 100% until the sails open up which jolts it enough to start a leak and the physical integrity's steady decline. What really gets me is how thematically appropriate it is - the whole game is about looking to the future, even one you won't be alive to see, but the owls stand in complete opposition to that. They became so afraid of the future and death that they closed the eye off from the universe. In spite of the future they decided to spend eternity wallowing in the past, but they knew the sun would eventually explode so they set their ringworld up to automatically blast them to safety and keep their eternal nostalgia going. But their own safety measures ended up backfiring and wiping them out, instead (except for the canyon guys I suppose, though they're about to be a whole lot lonelier). I'd pity them if they didn't also doom their one defiantly inquisitive companion to an artificial hell.

beep by grandpa posted:

A fun, unexplained thing to think about regarding the end reveals are how much time takes place between the appearance of the eye to the owls and our game? We all know it's like ~250k years between the completion of the nomai sun station and now, but it's unclear how long ago the owls first saw the eye before they left their planet to pursue it. Was that the eye's first appearance? From their slides, that thing seems to make a big show out of itself when it appears.

Were the owls the only space-faring civilization at the time to see it? Did the Nomai not see it when it first appeared because they were out of its range? Or, and I believe this is likelier the case, could the Eye's first appearance have long predated the nomai space-faring/entire existence? I imagine it took considerable time to harvest one's entire planet to build a spaceship out of it and fly (NOT warp) to another system to build a giant dang 'mute' button for the Eye, so foreseeably there could have been many different races that COULD have detected its signal, but there's no evidence showing anyone else came by- the stranger could have been orbiting our solar system for a million years or more for all we know.

I am also amused that- at least from my interpretation of one of the owls' slides, the universe reaching a certain age is when the Eye seems to reveal itself for anyone to go press the reset itself button, kinda like a "hold the X button to skip cutscene" appearing in games :laugh: Or, drat, it could be something even more dire- like maybe instead of time, its appearance could be based on how many living space-faring civilizations remain like a 'continue?' system since seemingly no one else was around to come for the Eye besides the Owls during its debut karaoke night

According to the Nomai the eye's signal predates the birth of the universe so I assumed the slide reel is mistaken and it was just always giving off the signal and the owls were one of the earliest to detect it, and they happened to live extremely close to the Eye's system so they could get there and block it off before anyone else noticed. Who knows though, since the Nomai don't really explain how they know the signal is that old (and really, HOW could they know that outside of somehow getting a detector outside of the boundaries of the expanding universe, which... okay maybe the Nomai know enough magical science to pull that off).

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now that I think about it, The Prisoner must have also had the same fear of death as their kin since they could've just blown out their fire at any point, and it was our visit that finally broken them out of it. It explains their hesitance of joining the band at the end even further.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 2, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

:hai: Just the changes made from that option were more than enough. If that was just the default I doubt I'd even have complained.

It doesn't even, like, nullify the frights all that much either. I'm watching a streamer who played with that setting on and he turned around to reveal a fully lit owl that was standing silently behind him and it was a bigger jump than anything I got with it off, since in that situation they'd scream at you instead..

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zodack posted:

So the point of the DLC is the Eye is... generally bad? Until it's good at your point in the story because it remakes the universe? Imagine the Owlkin not blocking the signal and the some other alien race accidentally destroying all of creation too early. Certainly at the point of the game you go to the Eye it's a good thing as all life is basically dead or dying anyhow, but before that...? I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of the exact workings of the Eye being revealed.

The way I see it, the Eye doesn't truly take effect until everything dies out and the universe is completely empty. Recall the part where you're walking around the forest with all the galaxies floating around that slowly wink out one by one. It's only when they're all gone, and the forest is in pitch blackness, that it truly starts to be a force of creation. The Eye is the ultimate instance of the macroscopic quantum phenomenon, and if the quantum rocks can only move when nobody is looking, it implies that a quantum universal birth can't begin until NOBODY is looking.

It's definitely meant to be ambiguous, though. Whether the owl's vision is of The Eye taking effect early or is just a pessimistic interpretation of The Eye waiting until everything dies is left for interpretation. I'm very much a "The Eye is benevolent" kind of person so I'm of the latter opinion.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly everyone should just finish the game again after going through the DLC. I feel like calling it some "minor changes" is doing it a disservice. It's the emotional payoff to the storyline and further enhances the best moment of the base game - it was more than satisfying enough of an ending for me. At least watch a youtube of it.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

there was a good period of time between "finding that clue" and heading back into the next cycle where I was sitting there thinking okay how do I die near a fire, the only one with any hazards is the flooded one, am I going to have to wait for the dam to break? how can I run myself out of oxygen faster? is there a way to take off my space suit? before I remembered "oh right fire" right as I was landing, thank christ

This not only happened to me too, but I got a brainblast to check the artifact prototype lab and when I found the version 2 that explodes I was certain that was the answer and was patting myself on the back for my cleverness.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 4, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

It totally ruins its pace by making you play interminable hide and seek in the dark, which completely undermined any of the catharsis of the ending for me. Much in the same way, that this DLC grinds to a halt to play hide and seek in the dark, but on the opposite side

I didn't see that as playing hide and seek at all, you have the signal locator pointing you to every single one and the ""puzzles"" are all just turning your light off and on which is the same quantum mechanic you're well versed in by that point. That whole sequence isn't like, a game, it's more like a vigil going over the core themes each of those characters represented and how they've left an impact on the player character and thus, the next universe..

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Speaking of that buildingHow did that ghost matter get in there? This is a time when I really wish there was some way to translate that writing, either as a mechanic or a new game plus where you have the knowledge or something. Did the owl deer find rocks with ghost matter in them and then it exploded when the interloper did? Or what? There's no real reason for there to be ghost matter on that ship. The reels were cool, but I wish we could have gotten to know individuals by reading their texts.

The stranger was here and all its inhabitants dead long before the Nomai or the interloper got here, so the ghost matter explosion would've peppered the stranger as well. The weirder thing is that there's so little of it, honestly, though the constantly running river probably helps.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

(Full DLC spoilers) One thing that popped into my head: The ship log refers to the slide reels with the VR glitches as "error reports". I can imagine someone going "I set my lantern down and walked away from it and the graphics glitched out, plsfix", and also "I jumped off the raft during loading and clipped out of bounds, plsfix", but I'd like to see the guy who submitted the "I activated a bell alarm tower, but the dead guy in the next cubicle didn't wake up, plsfix" bug report.

And just like real life, they didn't actually listen to QA and launched with the bugs intact. And they probably put the fixes on their roadmap but then all the devs went to sleep forever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I believe there is some weirdness that happens, but I can't remember specifics. The GDQ speedrun might've talked about that because they clip out of bounds after getting the launch codes which prevents the timer from starting.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
They just released the final planned patch. Really curious what some of these changes are. https://www.mobiusdigitalgames.com/news/patch-13-is-now-available

quote:

Outer Wilds and Echoes of the Eye Patch 13 is now available! This is our final planned major patch, so we’ve filled it with lots of polish, bug fixes, and some new features on all platforms. Any future patches will be smaller and focused on specific areas, features, or major bugs.
Patch 1.1.13 Changes:

Gameplay​

Significant changes to Starlit Cove level design
Playing Echoes of the Eye no longer requires a photographic memory
Numerous revisions to visual clues and ship log entries pertaining to "the bottleneck" in Echoes of the Eye
Echoes of the Eye's conclusion now significantly less subtle
Added a distracting way to exit a certain cove after it's filled with water
Moderate revisions to Shrouded Woodlands level design
Added a wine cellar to the Endless Canyon
Improved public transit between two islands beneath a starry sky
Buffed reaction times during certain dark sequences
Changes and bug fixes to certain behaviors in the Starlit Cove
Fixed a softlock caused by jumping out of a grave
Player character no longer gets stuck when walking slowly up or down stairs
Ship autopilot now obeys the first law of thermodynamics
Cracked down on two violations of the Rule of Quantum Imaging
Meditation is now a valid path to quantum enlightenment
Improved logic for “Rigidbody,” "Sleep Wake Repeat," and “You'll Never Take Me Alive!” achievements
Various fixes for collision meshes hindering player movement
Various minor sfx/audio fixes
Various minor UI fixes
Various minor gameplay fixes

Art & Visuals

Improved depiction of a flight trajectory in Echoes of the Eye
Added a new mural to a burned building in Echoes of the Eye
Removed a mural and added a rug in the Cinder Isles Tower (it really ties the room together)
Added and improved narrative-related art to support design changes
Improved water traversal VFX in Echoes of the Eye
Improved shader and meshes for a technology found in Echoes of the Eye
New stair climbing animations in Echoes of the Eye
The Party House loft now gets more popular over time
An important quantum corpse can no longer be seen changing states
Swapped the material on certain plant pots for historical accuracy
Improved the presentation of a rooftop easter egg
Texture fixes to Hearthian sky shutter satellite
Slight lighting improvement on certain types of crystals, ice, and glass across the game
Fixes for gaps and seams
Rock fixes
Various minor visual bug fixes

Tech

Added alternative method to reset input bindings, see our Support Page for details
Added a calibration screen for the Gamma setting
Disable Screen Prompts settings now behaves more as expected
Fixes pausing the game catapulting you into the options menu under certain circumstances
Fixes HUD markers showing up in the wrong location at less common aspect ratios and resolutions
The player should no longer be able to steal an important artifact (it does not, in fact, belong in a museum)
Distant versions of planetary bodies should behave more as expected
The player should no longer unexpectedly encounter rogue Brittle Hollow fragments
Fixes the player getting jostled mid-transit when recalling a ship from a moon
Fixes the player waking up in strange places in certain circumstances
The player can no longer be seized in conditions that didn’t make sense
Extensive input fixes
Various UI fixes
Minor optimizations across the solar system

Text & Localization

Improvements to readability in some languages
Fixed text color inconsistencies with certain messages
Updates to the credits
An easter egg now loads better in some languages
Fix for some missing characters in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
Minor text fixes
Minor fixes to localizations

PC Only Changes

Updated default PS4 controller mappings
Added a indicator for unsupported controllers
Added a default file for secret settings
On the Windows Store version, save files no longer get wiped when switching from Game Pass Windows PC to Cloud-supported platforms (Xbox, etc)

That’s the End of This Update
Thank you all for your bug reports and kind messages! We have updated our support page with solutions and workarounds to some remaining issues. As always, you can reach us via email to report any issues.

Thanks for your support and keep exploring!
Mobius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu4FxwHenIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBpa_gkCHN4