Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Really? I always kept dying when I tried going there.

It'll lose lava level during the cycle there's exactly one scan inside about the lantern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think the Core rupturing during their exploration was not a coincidence, but there's no evidence

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Welonz LP is very good.

Even though I backseat raged once or twice

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

There's no need to fix that, that's its intended behavior. Careening you into the sun I mean.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, it's just part of the hearthian low tech mindset. Everything you do is kinda barely tested, your ship is like 50% wood, 30 stolen tech and 20% actual good looking space ship.

They had to cut corners, the autopilot is just a fancy feature no one *really* needs.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Why is this person considered a friend? I would not play my instrument with this person, would you?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lamare posted:

Replaying the game by watching someone who never played is pretty drat awesome.

By some insane RNG, he realized super early that the probe launcher was shooting at different direction every cycle (it shot straight towards Timber Heart), which made him :aaa: for a little while :v:. The theories he made up for that were awesome and is honestly the best part of this game..

Share with the class please

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Phssthpok posted:

I wonder whether flying into the sun gets easier as the sun gets bigger.

If you plan to die, yes. The Sun Station actually goes really early on the second sun expansion.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Watching other people play is the only way to relive that 'first time' experience. :(

Who else is worth watching besides Joe Anderson? Sips quit after the first 2 hours because he has got no ability to see context, clues, prompts or to maintain situational awareness.

Materwelonz was mentioned previously here and did a good play through, even if she got stuck on some things o I tried screaming through the screen at.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, it didn't click for me so far either. The weird auto walk and the feeling of being on rails is really not my thing so far. Do tell me more if you continue playing it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

haveblue posted:

The comet blasted ghost matter all over the system, which caused the extinction of the Nomai in an instant (or at least a time scale far too short to do anything about it). Over the hundreds of thousands of years that passed afterward, the ghost matter decayed to the point where it's only present in isolated pockets, so the Hearthians were able to leave the water and start developing. Its exact scientific nature isn't critical to the plot, just its effects.

I believe it was instantaneous. You find Nomai at their tables, work, sitting, playing.. They just all went where they stood.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Talking about OW-like games earlier. OW is still the best by far but drat if Heaven's Vault doesn't have an incredible soundtrack (maybe even better than OW):

https://open.spotify.com/album/5xe5y2e2Z1tBy6H3fvGWxt

I wanted to love heavens Vault but the 2,5D , the weird on rails walking, and the boat stuff made me not wanting to play it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If you haven't investigated The Interloper, you should do so.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Interloper indirectly answers your Nomai question.Spoilers follow for that. On Timber Hearth you

Learned that Ghost Matter recedes and was once way more plentiful. When those 3 young Nomai investigated the Interloper the core shattered, maybe not even through their fault and Ghost Matter instantaneously flooded the Solar System. It's why all the Nomai you find died on the spot mostly unaware.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

beat this a while back, it loving rules, wish I could erase my memory of it, etc.

does the Giant's Deep quantum tower actually have something preventing you from going to it easily? that was like the first thing I did after a couple loops just doing flybys and landing on the Attlerock. I know the tower's in the middle of that enormous hypercane, but as I recall I flew through it with no speedbumps. is the wind supposed to push you away or something?

No, you can enter it at any time by getting in from above.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I tried getting into it but the on rails gameplay, the presentation and the travel stuff put me off.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I watched an LP that never found Solanum cause they gave up on the Moon.

The Ending is very different if you don't get that and doesn’t hit as hard.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I... Did the whole thing without encountering a single hostile owl in the dreamscape.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I found the breach, found how to make the raft fall through the world, found out how to not get woken up and accidentally left my lamps radius.. So I could solve the puzzle pretty easily from the cinder island fire

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Programmers hate him!

I talked to someone else and I kinda feel robbed but I didn't like the darkness all that much. Was this cause I did parts of it after The dam breaks and their lights get extinguished? I did the hidden gorge flame, the first area and cinder islands more or less

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You have to wait for the dam to break to be able to do the music hall, it's not possible to sneak past the owliens in the house while they're still alive. The other two are at least designed to force you to sneak around owliens in the dark.

Gotcha. Shame, but the darkness and feeling lost part I really disliked anyhow.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Yknow, I was thinking about how I was expecting (DLC spoilers) to at some point be able to translate the owldudes' language, but now that I think about it, how much writing (as in written words) was there in the DLC? Besides the ship logs, was it all just the breadcrumbing to the radio tower, the log by the satellite, and that's it?

All the descriptions like "airlock 1" and all place names are in owlarian, but it's at best half a page of untranslatable text.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's hard to see what they could have done once they committed to never cutting off the player's interaction with the world and never ending a loop in any way other than death, supernova, or reaching the Eye. You can definitely make an argument they should have broken that rule here just because so many people are being confused/let down but I understand why they didn't.

Just make the last vision display a "fin , thank you for playing echoes of the eye" in owlarian that slowly gets translated, then reality breaks and the loop restarts.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Frankston posted:

I thought the DLC was hot loving garbage. Thanks for reading my post.

Yeah, I kinda didn't like it, either.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Goons a year ago: more outer wilds this is the best poo poo ever.

Goons now: man this dlc sucks balls .

Personally I think it's brilliant but the execution is awkward at times.

I love the base game but the DLC doesn't hit the same way,i dunno.

The owlks are inherently a bit antagonistic and I don't care about them at all, compared to the Nomai whom you can trace back. I low-key bawled meeting Solanum cause it was a culmination of a journey we took together, me tracing back their steps.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 28, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I mean that's the point. They literally had to redesign their portraits several times cause people didn't have bad /scary enough impressions of them according to the noclio podcast with the devs.

I guess. But that kinda makes me not connect to them. They're a spook to me and wholly not interesting. A game mechanic without character.

I guess that's the intention,but it made the dlc very videogamey, to sound even dumberer

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 28, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I mean I never actually saw them doing above things..cause i was pretty much staying as far away as possible. I'm glad y'all liked, but in my opinion it was exactly what I not wanted.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I... don't see the similarities at all, sorry. Not even the scan visor similarity, they're just the broadest sci fi tropes.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I just wanted to chime in, in saying I didn't like Echoes of the Eye. Like at all. Really upsetting,I know

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I hope you go to prison for this.

I think the Owlks not having a decipherable language was a huge mistake in making them not relatable to me, despite the good visual storytelling. I also hated the ringworlds more rigid loop that left no freedom (I would have liked to stop the event inside it)

Plus, I dislike darkness. A lot.

Also I'm already trapped in a prison of my own make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah I disliked the DLC too.