Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I played the alpha demo of this years ago and I've loved it ever since. I really looked forward to this and just finished it a few days ago, and it was just as good as I'd hoped. Amazing game.

In regards to the strange physics of the game, (ending spoiler) Ignoring the fact that it's a game and obviously there's going to be some scaling issues, I kind of think of it as the laws of the universe presumably changing when someone observes the Eye of the Universe and creating a new Big Bang. You can see that in the ending screen with the universe seemingly having inverted gravity, shells of planets surrounding miniature stars, etc. Things are different, and don't really map out to the way OUR physics work, even before the 'reboot.' It half makes me want to have a sequel, even though that isn't really the point of the ending, just to explore that new solar system.

Interesting piece of trivia, this game was helped produced by Masi Oka, the dude that plays Hiro the time traveler from Heroes. Mobius Digital is his company. I thought that was a really neat connection what with the time loops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Triarii posted:

Pretty sure the length of 22 minutes was because that's how long the probe would take to spot the Eye, if fired in the right direction. Then it sends its result back in time 22 minutes and the probe cannon fires again if it didn't find the Eye, or breaks the loop if it did.

Not sure how they would have figured out that number, exactly. They'd have to have some idea of how far away the Eye was while not knowing what direction it's in.

They did, actually. You can see that in one of the probe modules, there's a model showing a sphere indicating that the Eye was within a certain radius of the solar system, but they didn't know WHERE exactly it was within that radius, hence sending the probe out in every direction through looping. I think there may have also been some message scrolls backing that up, but I don't remember where.

That being said, I'm pretty sure 22 minutes was the most amount of time they could get from the energy of a supernova. Even the power of the sun wasn't enough to send anything further back than that. They correctly guessed 22 minutes because.. I guess they knew exactly how much energy they would get out of it? Not sure.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I fuckin loved this game and I'm not ashamed to admit I used cheat engine's speedhack for the last few bits, especially for drifting past the anglers. Didn't ruin it for me, but I do think they should have included an in-game way to pass the time faster.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
When the Nomai split off into different teams, I don't think that was intentional at first. They came to the solar system and then crashed into the Dark Bramble, which captured their Vessel and forced them to send out escape pods to different parts of the solar system. It seems like they were actually cut off from each other for a long time and ended up developing their own cultures for a little bit before reconnecting with each other.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Ending spoiler: I think it depends on how the Eye of the Universe works. Is entering the maelstrom of the Eye what causes the Universe to finally end, which would make it impossible to stop the sun project anyway? Or would the universe end regardless, and entering the Eye just creates a new universe afterwards? What happens if nobody enters the Eye when the universe dies? Or will someone always inevitably be drawn to the Eye every time?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
On Brittle Hollow at the end, the Black Hole Forge screwed with me pretty bad because I was almost certain that I had to go to the Vessel, grab the busted warp core and bring it to the Forge, recharge it by bringing one or two of the black hole/white hole cores in the High Energy Lab ALL THE WAY over to the Forge, plug in the warp core somehow and like, send it back down into the black hole to recharge it or something, and THEN bring it back to the Vessel to power it. It seemed like such an obvious solution, and I spent a bunch of loops trying it out. In a way I kinda feel like it would have been better that way? It just felt like it made sense. But also it was so difficult to actually do in 20 minutes, and probably impossible because of the Anglers slowing things down so much. I actually figured out bashing my ship against the gravity field at the top in the process of trying to trim off as much time as I could.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I felt like a big doofus when I realized I could just walk through the cacti after a bit after carefully jetpacking through it like a dozen times and only succeeding less than half of my attempts

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Ah I guess I thought it had more significance than that...am I crazy or doesn't it crash into the sun at some point? I guess that may be related to the sun dying?

There's no connection, really. It first showed up during the Nomai's time, the core burst and killed them all, and now it's just been orbiting around harmlessly ever since. It crashes into the sun because the sun is expanding because it was already dying.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

luxury handset posted:

you are making it to the correct spot. you just don't know what to do when you get there. standing around won't solve the puzzle

remember, why is this cave important? what did the nomai describe finding there?

you should come back later after you learn more about the behavior of quantum stuff

you're on the wrong track here - teleporters are paired and cannot be retargeted. teleporter movement is important, but every teleporter set is fixed

For a more substantial hint, standing around WILL let you solve the puzzle. What matters is where you're standing. There's several areas in the game that you should probably get to first before trying this one, though, since it's a culmination of a couple of different concepts.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
The loops have no consequence for anyone in the main timeline since relatively speaking, they never experienced it. However, there are still millions of loops in which the Nomai of those particular loops would have (hypothetically) experienced the sun going supernova. From their perspective, they had to experience that terror every time, even if they KNEW it was planned for, that their lives didn't matter in the grand scheme. They're still the ones who would have had to die in that loop for the sake of the versions of themselves outside it. They were still conscious entities.

Edit: Obviously this doesn't matter as much since their plan didn't work until it was too late for them to experience it, but you could argue it for the Hearthians, who don't even have a reason to suspect what's about to happen.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 16, 2020

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Regarding the Nomai, did we ever find out what caused them to mistake the Dark Bramble for the signal from the Eye? Was it just that the real signal was intercepted by a random seed, which caused it to appear to be coming from the Bramble?

I don't remember ever seeing a reason behind how that happened.
I don't think the signal was originating from Dark Bramble, they just lost track of the signal once they warped into the system and then got caught in the Bramble somehow (possibly they warped INSIDE the Bramble when they entered the system, or very close to it.)

beep by grandpa posted:

I don’t think those Nomai would have experienced millions of anything since the statues are only designed to pair its memory link with a living being only at the exact moment it found the Eye, not at the start of the very first cycle. They knew better lol.

Time travel is weird and cool and requires a 300 IQ which I don’t have but I imagine if everything worked as planned it would be experienced something like this:

“ok we turned everything on, we have the sun station primed to fired in 60min (picking this figure arbitrarily) and the probe cannon will fire 22 minutes before that”.

At some point they would have already previously paired the probe data module or whatever with the statue and would have seen the spooky voodoo poo poo. They would set up the ash twin project, probe cannon and sun station to fire all in sequence and would sit around for a while and if it all worked, right as the cannon fires, they’d watch their probe tracking module’s attempts go from 0 to 9,000,003 in an instant and the Nomai closest to the statues would pair a few minutes after firing, pull the Eye coordinates knowing that it worked, shut off the sun station, punch in the coordinates and go safe mode reboot the universe.

It gets tricky if the paired Nomai don’t stop the sun station for whatever reason and get marshmallowed a few times before they figure out how to turn it off and end the loops they are now conscious of. If that happens, I think all of the above happens the same way except the 9 million number is slightly higher and instead of experiencing the statues pair with them, during whatever attempt they do successfully get the sun station disabled, all of the paired Nomai just remember the supernovas/pairing happening while not necessarily experiencing any of it ever actually happening in the linear perception of time- these are just memories. I’m not sure if the others even see the statues do anything in that timeline lol.

My head hurts. Game good.

What I meant was not that they would have experienced millions of loops, but that each loop had conscious entities that would have had to experience the sun going supernova. None of those memories would be preserved, but it would still happen to THOSE Nomai in the loops, even if the ones outside the loop never experience it.
I'm arguing my point badly. I think what I mean to say is that it's still at least slightly cruel to inflict that fate on some other version of themselves that will never survive. The main version will never experience it, and technically speaking, each iteration of them will only experience it once with no memories carrying over, but imagine being that version of you that knows you aren't going to make it and that from your perspective, the world is about to end. That's a little bit sad to me.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, it's this. A very key piece of evidence is that if you never went to the quantum moon, Solanum won't be there in the ending, because you never met her.

I prefer to think of it as them being quantumly alive through your conscious observation at the end rather than not being real, the same way that Solanum is alive in the sixth location. It feels more fitting that way, like they're really there with you in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
That takes TOO LONG. Just slow down enough that you can either fix your ship when you crash, or you can crash into something that won't break your ship! That's the Timber Hearth way.