Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

The only real logic problem this game has with its story mechanics is the orientation of the probe cannon. Since the exact Eye Coordinates that you find in the Probe Module at the core of Giant's Deep are always the same, then the direction the cannon fires after every brand fresh new game should be pointing the exact same direction since the first time the player opens their eyes in control of the Hearthian is the approximate attempt it finds The Eye, however it doesn't :( it's random every time no matter what. While it would be cool if it always faced the same direction on New Game for consistency, that would probably be a huge pain in the rear end to code in for something only insane maniacs like me would look for.

Whoops I wrote a bunch of stuff and then realized you used the words fresh, brand new game start

You can grouch the same about the Quantum Moon at the start of every loop, since by the same rules as the Eye it should be in the same spot at every loop start. Though I get that decision as a fun once since it only sometimes is orbiting giants deep and as you blink as you wake up it leaves

Zodack fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Similarly, I think there doesn't need to be any extra help. It's a combination of critical thinking, using clues you've discovered already, and testing. For me, the process was:

I know each tower represents a planet, and the dual towers has one for Ember and one for Ash. You can test the one for Ember...
Weirdly, the one for Ash has a broken roof and is the only tower that has a broken roof. I wonder why that is? Game-play wise, it hints at the period being during the sand column. To confirm, I just stood on the platform for the rest of the loop to see if there was any other point.
From there, you just need to figure out a way to stand on the platform during the sand, or touch it during that window. Obviously standing straight on it is out.
But weird, there's a small closet right next to it that keeps you safe from the sand...

a ha!

Alternatively, you could just stick your probe to it and it'll teleport into Ash Twin during the sand column window, confirming the theory as well. Sticky feet, I guess?

In my opinion from both an in-game perspective with the knowledge it gives you, and from a "this is a video game" perspective, it isn't too hard to figure out. Plus, heck, it's the last big important puzzle in the game.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

ohhyeah posted:

Xbox controller. Thanks for all the advice! The biggest thing is that everything is constantly moving; which I get is the point but I always want to stop and hover. It sounds like I just need to launch myself into the vastness of space more.

You can hold the A button to match your speed with anything you can lock on to, effectively making your ship motionless to that object.

Note you're actually adopting its speed so you can get whacked by other things near it

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
As someone who also loved the early design of the DLC, I find myself actively not wanting to trance myself into the relic worlds - or whatever they are - because I hate suspense and horror. Absolutely. The anglers were one thing because you knew they were there and knew how to avoid them but so far this DLC has been a fuckton of darkness, suspense, shadows, and one guy who blew my candle out. I can't enjoy the majesty and wonder of everything they've put together if I'm worried every second about an owlman and a sound cue giving me anxiety. Like the stealth isn't even that bad and the mechanics so far have been tight and mostly not frustrating but I simply despise having to jump at my own shadow

Also unlike the base game so far my objective seems to be to unseal a locked casket in horror town and I can't imagine what world my hearthian is living in where they think that's a good idea

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Okay I'm finally in the thick of the stealth sections proper and what were they thinking? This is atrocious - I have no idea where I am and still aren't even sure of the Owl mechanics. If they see me I'm dead? If they see me I go dark and they search and then... what's their radius? I swear I was hunted by one of these things for a while. Man, I just want to go back to exploration and putting puzzle pieces together. I'm even on less frights.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I think I beat it? I freed the Prisoner and had a nice little mind discussion about how their actions prompted the Nomai to investigate the eye. Then they walked upstairs and left a message for me that said 'get on a raft and let's go into the sunset together'. The Prisoner is gone and ostensibly my body burned to cinders a while back and theirs is a skeleton in the real world. Is that it? There were no credits but it felt open-ended enough that I might be missing something. Hard to take the raft-into-the-sunset thing any other way than "there's not much left for us here". My computer is completely full, too.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

Yep, that's the end. If you beat the regular game now the owlkin get to be a part of the new universe

Ah, huh. Well, good to know I'm not missing anything.

In that case, endgame talk:

So the point of the DLC is the Eye is... generally bad? Until it's good at your point in the story because it remakes the universe? Imagine the Owlkin not blocking the signal and the some other alien race accidentally destroying all of creation too early. Certainly at the point of the game you go to the Eye it's a good thing as all life is basically dead or dying anyhow, but before that...? I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of the exact workings of the Eye being revealed.

Has anyone tried deactivating Ash Twin and chilling on the Stranger? It can't pull you back but the Stranger is supposed to escape the Supernova.

I think the DLC for me is a 7/10. Like many others have echoed it'd be a 9/10 without the stealth and for me the ending felt kind of flat.

Though I have to say the discoveries of literally wall-clipping into another level and then doing the Matrix thing where you can see everything really put a fun spin on the dream sections. Absolutely hated the stealth parts and frightening parts - I actively found myself not wanting to explore or play Echoes like I did the base game because of how averse I am to stuff like that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Outer Wilds - Echoes of the Eye: Yes, that's the end

Are the other Owlkin just huge bastards? Why did no one thing to have a nice chat with the weird dude invading their dream world. We've obviously not hostile. You lose your lantern and they just snap your spine. Stone cold killers.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you want to try to ascribe any sort of morality on the eye, then sure I guess it is "bad" unless you're literally there at the natural death of the universe. It doesnt matter if this happenes with 200k years left in the universes natural life or 0, it has to happen at some point. But the point of the entire game is that death is a natural occurence and has to happen eventually, its ok and you should be ok with it. I dont really know why the DLC would change your opinion on the eye at all, it reveals literally no infomration other than why the Nomai only got the signal of the eye for a moment.

I guess there's something sobering about seeing the eye incinerate and skeletonize living beings. The end of the base game it felt like an inevitability - we didn't know what would happen and while it does emulate a big bang in my mind at least it was still left up to our imaginations. We saw shattered planets, but we didn't know if that was the Eye or just the natural fallout of the stars in the universe dying. All we knew is that, at some point in the far future, life returns to the cosmos. The Eye may or may not facilitate that, it might make new stars, we don't know.

The scene of the Owlkin seeing the eye dust everything and their skeletons falling to the earth felt morbid and out of place. But those are just my feelings.

Khanstant posted:

Wait, where did you see this message? When I took the elevator I was "awoken" on the way up.

If you follow the Prisoner up back to the lake, they leave their staff for you on the shore with a message you can watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This may have been asked before, but what happens if you pull out Ash Twin's core and then take a vacation trip to the Stranger? Seeing as it escapes the Supernova and all. I recall there might have been an ending about floating around in the cold reaches of space if you got out of the supernova blast in the base game.