Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Is there any way to reliably make it to the hanging city very quickly?

I've been there a couple of times but it has always involved falling off and somehow sticking the landing. Would like to know if there's any other way, since you're liable to fall into the black hole most of the time.

I've tried going from the ruins of the old city via the gravity stones but the path just suddenly ended? Was it that way, or is there another?

Oh, I have also tried through the crossroads. But got lost.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks!

Now I can at least explore knowing there is a solution.

And yeah this game slaps.
Even now that I spent a lot of loops trying to find my way, I still managed to fail in new ways each time. And all of them were pretty hilarious. And terrifying.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I was definitely being too impatient because in my next trip I found my way into the Hanging City via the Crossroads. Which then led me to find the Quantum Tower and another way to the surface. Which then led me to find the little hole on the ice pole that the other user talked about.

I'm so impressed. This is just ONE planet and it's so interconnected, it reminds me of Dark Souls 1 map where eventually you would find a ton of ways to get anywhere.

I spent 3 full cycles exploring the Hanging City and drat it took my breath way. Seeing all those people who died in the middle of their normal lives. Reading all those messages and slowly unveiling their civilisation. And the whole thing with the Eye! I'm liking this sort of cosmic horror vibe to it.

Does the game just keep it up the entirity of its length? I am so impressed by Brittle Hollow, I want for other planets to feel this good.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

theblackw0lf posted:

Brittle Hollow almost gives me a Dark Souls feel in terms of the branching paths and how the level design wraps around itself. Definitely my favorite area.

edit: looks like someone else also made the association :v:

Yeah it's so well designed!! I'm so impressed.

And also, when the supernova is about to happen, and you just look outside and almost the entire planets surface has fallen into the black hole... you can just see all the paths, feeling almost like the skeleton of the city.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 6, 2019

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Haha I'm gonna be depressed when this game is over.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
It also takes longer if you, like me, spend the last minutes of each loop just staring at the supernova event.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Ember twins spoilers: Can anyone help me out with the Sunless City entries? I'm missing the forth one and I have fine combed the city (I think).

Currently I have the one for the city itself, the one about the sun station and the one that explains that the Nomai came to the solar system in pursuit of the Eye.

if anyone can at least tell me the blurb of the forth then that would be helpful, though obviously more clear indications are better.

This game is bringing the completionist in me. I want to know *everything*.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

Those three entries should be enough to mark the Sunless City complete. Have you found the Anglerfish Fossil and High Energy Lab?

Yes, I did. All entries around the city are completed, just not the city itself. Is it not supposed to have more than 3 entries?

Perhaps it's a bug?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

jjac posted:

This gave me trouble too, but turns out there's an important entry in one of the many ruined houses to the right of the anglerfish overlook door.

This was it! Thanks!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Ziji posted:

"More to explore": I have this on Sunless City, Hanging City, and White Hole Station. I swear I've been EVERYWHERE on Sunless City and White Hole Station so I am just lost as hell as to what else I could possibly be looking

It would help if you said what entries you have so we can compare to our own entries and see what might be missing.

Though, with Sunless City I had that same problem. if you have been to the lab, to the anglerfish cave and managed to enter the temple, you might be missing one of the entries in a house to the right of the anglerfish outlook entrance. As you explore it, you'll notice one of the rooms is inaccessible since it has cacti baring your entrance. Send a scout into the room, then exit the building, fly up, and you'll see a bunch of holes in the ground where sand is falling. One of the holes will take you inside the room. The entry associated with this one is about the sun station.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, it sucks. Outer Wilds is one of those games that should be experienced by anyone who enjoys games but it's gonna fly under the radar of a lot of people because lol nobody uses Epic's store. As cool as Outer Wilds is, I doubt it's the sort of killer app that will make many people finally sign up. I don't know if the exclusivity deal is perpetual or not but if not hopefully it gets re-discovered when it gets a Steam and/or GOG release.

Its not perpetual. It will eventually come to steam.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Finding that lone Nomai on Quantum Moon made me so sad.

Honestly, the whole Nomai narrative has always managed to make me genuinely moved. I have no idea how it's pulling my cords so well.

But drat, this game knows how to create memorable moments. Solanum calling me a friend, while I know she can only exist in that place, and then standing by to just watch the end of the system together with her... I'll probably remember this for a while.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

GhostDog posted:

So are there actually clues to figure out how to get into the tower of quantum knowledge or is it completely reliant on having been at the right place at the right time to see the solution play out? I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky or too dense to continue with this :)

To try to give away as little spoilers as possible:

This game has a lot of emphasis on the passage of time. The 22 minutes loop means the devs manage to put a lot of emphasis on how the environments change as time passes by, and run out. A lot of planets have things that are happening to it over time, and sometimes they are the key to solve puzzles.

Have you played Majora's Mask? This game runs with the similar theme of needing to know what events happen during the game period, to then be able to manipulate stuff to your advantage.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
This game was so overwhelming to me. I recall so many moments where I would just stand in one place, looking at what was happening, or why it was happening.

When I first managed to get into the tower of quantum trials, I spent a better part of 2 minutes just staring at the hugeeeeee wall of water surrounding the little island I had landed on.
There were many such moments in the game.

Basically it really did make me feel like an adventurer, and an archeologist. This game really captures that wonder of finding new things, of seeing sights never before seen.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 16, 2019

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Personally, I only felt that the Ash Twin (and the ending bit) needed the fast forward. So while I can understand the people saying there's a stark contrast between the game and the finish, I didnt think it was 2/3 vs last third, more 28 hours versus 22 min x times it took to get the ending sequence right. Even then I wasn't super pissed off, I ended up just reading something while I waited, but obviously that's less than ideal for a section you might have to repeat a few times.

I thought the dark bramble was fine. I think people get frustrated because they dont realize You're not supposed to move at all when you get to the red seed. the ship will slowly go past the fish. But obviously that section becomes more frustrating when you're in the end bit.

So if there are any devs watching SA, my tips would be:
- Make the Ash Twin Project puzzle a bit more clear.

- Make it so that people don't have to wait before retrying the end sequence. Maybe an auto save when you remove the warp core? I know it goes a bit against the concept of the game over in this game, but it also could help people not come out of this wonderful game feeling so frustrated.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

geeko55 posted:

By the end, the whole system felt so comfortable and known to me in a way a lot of exploration games don't manage. Nothing felt poorly thought out or without purpose, and it was so good to uncover all the little secrets, and awe-striking to piece together bigger mysteries. With all the mysteries known, the entire solar system's design is seriously impressive. Like, I'm kinda bummed out here; there's so few games that truly feel like an exploration like this game does.

I felt this a lot, too. I was so happy to find every single piece of knowledge, partially because every piece was either an integral part of the puzzle, or a cute detail about the Nomai. Most were both.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Pulsarcat posted:

I absolutely loved the characterization of Nomai.

spoilers in regards to who they were

Every time I picked up a new bit of information about them I was expecting the hammer to drop, that this is the one that revealed how they destroyed themselves and doomed the solar system, the one that would make this yet another alegory about the "Hubris of man and his science!"

Ending spoilers : It's funny, at first when I discovered that their project at the sun station didnt doom them, that what killed them all was nothing less than a coincidence, I was sort of disappointed. I had swallowed the "they caused the sun to supernova" red herring so hard and it was already such a whoa moment for me, that discovering the subversion felt futile to me.

But then I thought about it, because this game had me thinking about it a lot, and went through the ending, and realized that what I had thought of was such an inferior story.

There's nothing wrong with following troupes, or following convention, but in a story like this, about space and the universe and about death and even the death of everything... this futility really became poignant.

There is something unbelievably tragic about a species dying with nothing they could do about it, not having even accomplished their goal. There is something tragic about how the hearthians are just now discovering the mysteries around them, but they will never live past those 22 minutes of the game loop, and there is no way to fix this.

It reminded me of a quote from a book I really like, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro:
"We all complete [die]. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through, or feel we've had enough time."

Meallan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 2, 2019

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

youcallthatatwist posted:

Nooooooo my save disappeared :( anyone know if there's any way to deal with that?

It still exists in the game's files, turns out. My PC crashed while I was playing so I figure it must have gotten corrupted somehow

How far along were you?

I cant give you advice on the technical side, but if you dont mind losing the log of what you had discovered until now (and remember well the plot points), then you can continue playing as if nothing had happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Sankis posted:

I love the fact that the messages left by nomai children look sloppier than the ones made by adults. Also it makes me extremely sad.

I didnt notice that... God, I need to replay now that I know all these things about the game, probably would notice a lot more details.