Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This game is neat.

I have named my ship Jitterbug.

I think I've cleared most of Ember and a bunch of Brittle. And a few other bits on the others.

I do really wish that my cockpit just faced 'down' like the landing camera permanently.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

There are also only a couple of places where you need to worry about showing up at the right time, and most of those are late rather than early.

Eh, there's quite a lot on Ember Twin early on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think there's really anything that requires you to rush. Everything I can think of has some part that requires you to wait for sand to rise or fall.

The bottom areas of sunless city and the cave at the very bottom where you learn about standing on quantum objects require rushing. The latter in particular was brutal, at least for me.

And yeah there's a lot of other bits that require waiting for the right time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man I'd kill for longitude system on the landing planet ball display in my ship.

Or a compass when I'm not in landing mode. Also a 'down' that points to the planet's core so I know when I'm horizontal.

A horizon ball in my ship that indicates the ecliptic plane of the star system would a be real nice little convenience too when i'm swinging about trying to locate planets.

A clock would be super convenient. (they probably debated that one for a while before deciding it put too much pressure on us). Maybe I can just have a stopwatch on my computer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 6, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also my ship needs a hammock. :colbert: it's the one thing missing to make it properly cozy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking though the patch notes, it's interesting to see what they've adjusted over time.

So that's why y'all keep talking about 9,000 probe launches, they only changed it to 9,000,000 launches/time loops a few weeks ago. That number blew me away when I saw it and realised how much had played out, it's much better this way.

I'm glad I started playing after the clear hints about ash twin core teleport alignment were put in the forge.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 8, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What happens if you remove the core and wait inside the Ash Twin Project?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, if it took on the order of 9000 to find it, then less dramatic measures could have been used.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the Sun station states it's been ~2800 years since the Nomai. Of course, who knows what year they use - are there any other indicators for the use of year?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 10, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat, yeah, I knew I remembered a 28. Thanks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would assume the Nomai would use their own years rather than a different one on every body.

Re: the skeletons, don't forget many are in weird environments and also the local bacteria may not be adapted to eat Nomai bone very well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Nomai and have genders btw (Hearthians don't)

And it seems like by and large names that sound masculine in English are feminine to Nomai, and vice versa.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure I'm the billionth person to say this, but having an endgame based around being suuuuuper slow and patient and creeping pace in a game centered around a ticking clock time limit is an... interesting choice

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, what is the gold dish at the back of your ship meant to be. I always bugs me - it's like there was some pickup mechanic that never got used?

EDIT: Oh derp, it's the hatch cover!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 10, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Krazyface posted:

Nah, nah. The project works like this:

The probe cannon requires a ton of energy to fire-- in fact, it can only fire if the sun goes nova. The Nomai set up the whole system, and it sits dormant for 280 000 years. Eventually, the sun goes nova, the cannon fires a probe, it finds nothing, and sends a message to the ATP computer telling it that the coordinates it tried are no good. The ATP sends this info back in time.

Not quite. The probe system doesn't need much power and is perfectly self-sufficient with its own power source. The supernova is needed to power the time machine. There's just no point in firing off the probe unless the time loop is active, because your chances of finding the eye are literally less than one in a million.

The cycle is: when the sun goes supernova, the time machine channels that energy to send all its current data in a transmission back in time 22 minutes. Any time the Ash Twins Computer receives a transmission from the future, it selects a new trajectory that hasn't been tried in any past loop and instructs the probe cannon to fire that way. If the project is malfunctioning or if it's succeeded in finding the eye, it activates the statues so that there'll be cross-time-loop manual operators to take care of any issues.

In theory it wouldn't necessarily need the statues, since as soon as the probe finds the eye they'd just shut the sun station down right away in that same loop, but the statues were a safety precaution in case fixing things up takes more than a few minutes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 10, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love the writing for the Nomai. "Did you have to build a model to explain that to me?" "It'll be useful! And I wanted to build a model."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YOU CAN PICK THINGS ON YOUR COMPUTER AND MARK THEM ON YOUR HUD? :psyduck:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dulkor posted:

I’m pretty sure the probe that found the eye is the first loop, because when I got into the control room the successful iteration was about 30-50 below the number of total probe launches.

yeah, the statues were set up to link with the nearest person only when it found the eye (or something went wrong). In theory, it finds the eye immediately before the statue first looks at you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, when the Scout goes weedleeedleeedleing by at the end, I'm taking that as more than just a easter egg. I'm assuming that the signal older than the universe that the Nomai picked up were signals used by the people from the previous universe who landed on the eye and kickstarted our universe, and that one day our scout will serve the same function, leading beings from this new universe to the eye to kickstart the next one.

It seems appropriate that in the end this game is telling a fragment of a much larger cycle.

and if you didn't lose your Scout at the end you doomed everyone good job

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 15, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

luxury handset posted:

any suggestions for the best way to get my non xbox gamepad to work with outer wilds? i've seen approaches to use a mod or use a ruby script to remap the in-game driver

Are you using steam? Steam has a remapping system that can hook many controllers into Xbox bindings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

Regarding the Nomai, did we ever find out what caused them to mistake the Dark Bramble for the signal from the Eye? Was it just that the real signal was intercepted by a random seed, which caused it to appear to be coming from the Bramble?

I don't remember ever seeing a reason behind how that happened.

They didn't emerge where they'd intended to, and popped out in the middle of the bramble instead. My assumption is that the space warping of the Dark Bramble simply messed with their warp drive and pulled them inside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Part of the issue is that you don't want people solving the problem until quite late. That's why they've decided to put the new heavy hints inside the Black Hole Forge - it's a location that people almost always get to towards the end of the game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I was talking about the latest version of the game (Jun 19th) which revised the text in the forge to straight up say "both of the teleporters for the twins align based on the line between the two planets"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 19, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The selfish part of me wants a sequel set in the Blackrock system of Gloaming, the place that the Nomai found that was a stable haven.. The rest of me knows that this is all done and over and that's the best package.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sininu posted:

I have a trouble with the endgame...

I'm trying to get the warp core from the Ash Twin Project but I can't get out! The warp pad doesn't work!

I think there's a thing where if you shoot your Scout onto the pad it uses up the exit charge, did you do that?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You kind of do have one, actually!

except when I wanted it most, when I was drifting slowly through the Bramble..

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like the fact that their solution to certain errors was just too make it so that everything moves but you. When you jump, instead of applying an upward force to you, it applies a downward force to every single physics object in the game and they all independently leap downwards and fall back up.

It's common to invert the reference points like that in graphics calculating but I've never heard of it done to a physics sim with forces and momentum and the like.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing is that everything in the game is a physics object. The devs deliberately built it that way (they talk about it in some behind the scenes stuff - the NoClip documentary is worth checking out).

Eh, though, it would have been trivial to abstract an an object placed into your ship out of existence in the physics sim and just have it locked onto you ship object until it's picked up. I'm sure it's a design decision.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 20, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The nature of the game means it's always stimulating every physics object every tick anyway, because the whole solar system is a dynamic physical system. So the overall number of calculations is unchanged.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

at one point I went 'I'm just going to look at the poles of each planet since there often seems to be stuff there'. Found the back door to Feldspar before I went through the proper way, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you've been to the vessel once you can mark it on your computer and it'll lead you through the direct route without having to go to escape pod 3

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The 'actually' comes in the form of the giant looming sun you're plunging towards.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Teledahn posted:

...Where? I don't recall any.

Giant's deep when the islands plunge back into the water

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kiss me Pikachu posted:

Not using autopilot led me to discover you don't need to slow down at all when travelling to Giant's Deep, the water will take care of it for you provided you don't slam into one of the islands at interplanetary speeds.

Go fast enough and you can actually penetrate the currents layer, although you have to be going really fast. Nets you an achievement.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And remember, if you can't figure something out after a while, go try something else! Many of the puzzles in this game are based on knowledge you get elsewhere.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I found the back door to feldspar before the front door, after I decided to take a look at all the north+south poles of all the planets because they all seemed to have something significant

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe give the tower on Giant's Deep another run-through if it's been a while.

And for your other issue, check over the Black Hole Forge on Brittle, make sure you've read everything there and remember it, there's some conversations there that might get you started.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do you remember what the code represents? It's not just a password.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Incidentally, as far as brute force solutions go, you can get into Giant’s Deep’s core without using the twisters by just ramming the planet at comicallyhigh speeds, which I did by accident one time after doing it the right way earlier

There's an achievement for it, isn't there?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's funny about how the amount of enjoyment I get about hearing other people's stories and experiences as they play this game is so much more than any other game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

When it came to dark bramble and time constraints, on my final cycle run I actually just yolo’d it and flew to the ship by memory instead of going to the graveyard and planting my probe. whenever you enter a cell on dark bramble you’re always set to the same drift speed, but you’re ALSO set to the same orientation - so when you enter the nest cell, if you just float past the guard anglerfish without touching your controls, when you reach the egg cluster the seed leading to the ship will always be to your right.

You can use your computer to mark any location on your HUD once you've visited, so you can just flag up the vessel and follow the marker. Nothing tells you this and I didn't find out until after my first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The moment I realised there wasn't a bottom I freaked the hell out, I'll admit.