Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Beat the game last week, went back in last night cause I hadn't explored all of the Sunless City. There was an update to the game and I suddenly had more to explore at The Sun Station, Black Hole Forge, and the freaking White Hole Station. Near as I can tell it's just a few more lines of text better hinting at how to get into Ash Twin's Core. Mostly things about how warp points don't have to go to another celestial body or to one they're actually lined up with.

Didn't realize the game starts after the probe cannon finds the Eye until I read this thread, although I think some of the text says something like the Ash Twin Project will turn on upon success otherwise the Nomai would've had to wait through all those 9000+ loops, so I should've figured it out. Knowing that I was able to go back to where that count is and find out how many times I had died/been supernova'ed/meditated before the end of the game: 37.

Chalk me up as yet another goon that thought the end goal was going to be stopping the supernova. So much of what I was reading and the order in which I was reading it for a good portion of the game made it seem like the Sun Station was sapping energy from the sun and probably causing it to go supernova early. Especially just from observing the sun, it goes through the last parts of a stars life really quickly so it didn't seem natural at all until I read some stuff that said as much, and then later on I spoke with Chert right before the end of a loop which I just hadn't for the longest time. This of course made a lot of other things super confusing, like how could the Nomai set this up, then die, and it'd take 200k+ years, but the loops only started recently. I thought maybe the sun was outside of the loops for a bit and also that until the explosion happened there were living Nomai on the cannon in the loop still (the third mask that's lit up when projecting to Ash Twin), hadn't even occurred to me that it was all automated until I was on the loop where I visited the Sun Station and the Ash Twin core, which I basically found by being stubborn about figuring out where all the warps go.

Anyway having to come to terms with the ending being the inevitable end of everything and beginning of a new universe (plus my lost scout) really was something.

Oh, someone was asking about the sands on the Ember Twin earlier and the Sunless City. I'm pretty sure the answer is those big doors did have it sealed completely but being that it's a few hundred thousand years later erosion has broken through. This is a bit evident with the ruined bridges along the equator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I binged some LPs after playing the game and it's fairly interesting to see how much players can vary in their approach and understanding of the game. Some will try to clear a whole planet before going to the next, some will go to every planet for a bit immediately often gaining a lot of insight all at once if they remember what they read, and basically all of them suck at flying their ship. The ship and the jetpack are easier to use with a controller, they're just full force with a keyboard, and that was the main source of those woes but there were like 1 or 2 that were just super poo poo at it and every landing was followed with repairs if not a totaled ship. Two died in the tutorial before getting to the observatory, that was funny.

I did the same thing with Return of the Obra Dinn, it's amusing watching others work out stuff in different ways, although in both cases it can be super frustrating if they're just. not. getting. it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
My first death was the end of the first loop, after launch I decided to check out the Interloper and decided incorrectly upon arriving near it that you couldn't land on it, got distracted by the white hole, found WHS, then the loop ended while I was wandering around Brittle Hollow's north pole.

My stupidest death was forgetting to put on my space suit, but landing near another hearthian such that their trees made it okay...until I wandered a bit further away and suffocated. Also testing out the eject button killed me.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Krazyface posted:

The only advice I'd give to new players is that this game has no upgrades; the starting equipment is all you're ever going to get. When you start the game, a part of you will really want to get in the spaceship ASAP, but you have to ignore that part of you and do all the tutorials, so that you understand your gear fully. It'll save you time and frustration in the long run.

Well, there is one semi-upgrade: meditation. Although I guess the update to the campfires makes that less important.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
:same:

I think a good portion of the thread thought the same thing until you get there and a few other places and things become clear.

I've watched a lot of streams and LPs of this game and some people stumble across this quickly, one person figured it out in the first loop because Chert will confirm it if you talk to him right before it happens. It's also happening everywhere while you're playing, there's a bunch of supernovas going on in the sky and at a certain point there will be noticeably fewer stars, which can be a bit of an indicator for how much time someone has left. One streamer left the game unpaused on their first loop while they read off donations and chat comments, and I just sat there watching the sky while time ran out.