Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Just picked this up, loving it so far.

Is there a trick to get the signalscope to switch to the "unidentified" frequency whenever you get an "unidentified signal detected" popup? Half the time when I get that popup and pull out the signalscope, I can only select frequencies I've already found, which isn't helpful. But every now and again I pull it out and suddenly I'm on the "unidentified" frequency, which gets identified when I find the signal. What's the trigger?

EDIT: I'm a moron, the most recent case of this turned out to just be one of the Outer Wilds guys. Apparently they count as unidentified until you shove the signalscope in their face. :rolleyes:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I finally decided to try heading to Dark Bramble and ugggghhhhh. An area where you can't see anything and it constantly sounds like a monster's about to jump out and eat you? gently caress.

Can someone just spoil me on what I should expect in this area? I thought this game was chill but now I don't want to explore anymore. :(

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So I found some information in Ember Twin about how anglerfish are blind. Is there more to learn about avoiding them or is that all I'm going to get? Dark Bramble terrifies the poo poo out of me and I'd rather not spend any more time there than I have to.

As far as I can tell, my objective on Dark Bramble is twofold: find the escape pod, and fire a scout into the seed on Timber Hearth and then use it to guide me to some kind of anglerfish skeleton. Hopefully I'm not missing anything else.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Is there any way to get to the Black Hole Forge beyond warping in from Ash Twin? I'm getting kind of fed up with it after I hosed up after getting there twice. The first time I didn't get off the warp pad in time and ended up teleporting right back to Ash Twin five seconds later, and the second time I tried to drop into the Forge and missed. Is there some easier way of doing it? Because the way I have takes way too long.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Are you raising it up from the control panel in the Hanging City first?
Not even knowing that that’s a thing you can do explains a lot :doh:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Count me in as another person who loved the first 2/3 of the game and then couldn't bring myself to finish. It's not even so much that doing later tasks is tedious, it's that loving them up incurs such a large time penalty. The game rewards exploration, but punishes experimentation, because it's way too easy to get separated from your ship or end up stuck somewhere, and then you've got to wait around for another 10-15 minutes to try whatever you were doing again. If the penalty for loving up wasn't so huge, the game would feel a hell of a lot better.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe try not being bad?
gently caress off with this poo poo. Platforming I can handle, but god forbid I gently caress up by having less than perfect information in a game that encourages exploring with less than perfect information.

I'm talking about trying different ways to get past the anglerfish in Dark Bramble without having the clue that gives you the solution. I'm talking about warping to the Black Hole Forge on Brittle Hollow without realizing that you can't get into it unless you've done something elsewhere in the city first. I'm talking about knowing the way to the High Energy Lab on Ember Twin but having to start the whole loop over because you didn't realize exactly how fast the sand rises and now you can't get in.

Every one of those things takes anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to do, and if you gently caress it up then you have to do it all over again. Is it hard? No, but that poo poo is annoying and tedious. If you want to sit on your lofty gamer throne and spout "git gud" at me, fine, but I've got better things to do with my time.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Krazyface posted:

If you talk to Gabbro (possibly after finding certain pieces of info, I'm not sure), they can teach you how to meditate. It adds an option to the start menu that lets you skip ahead about 20 minutes.
That doesn't help with having to fly back to your destination and/or wait around every time you want to try something again, though.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Honestly it's probably just that the game doesn't bother to save during the tutorial, and then when you get out into space the game just kind of assumes that you'll die immediately because you do something like land on a planet and then go outside without putting on your suit first. A thing that I definitely did not do, no sir.

I definitely had times when I was playing where I hosed something up and was like "nope, I'm done playing for now" and quit out, and the game still saved. So I think you can only run into this problem if you quit on your very first voyage.

You should know that you can't "quicksave" in the middle of exploration though. If you quit you'll just end up back at the starting point when you reload, but you'll keep all the knowledge from the previous run. So that might be something to keep in mind if you have kids and sometimes need to unexpectedly quit. That said, you'll never have to worry about needing more than... well, let's just say 22 minutes at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

I am 66 minutes into Heaven's Vault.

It's not quite clicking in the way Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds did but I am still intrigued enough to continue.
Heaven's Vault didn't grab me as hard as Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds too, but the language deciphering was fun as hell. My only complaint is that there are one or two places where you could conceivably figure out a word with what you've learned, but the game won't let you do it because you haven't found a previous word that's related directly enough. That was pretty rare though.