Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just found out this is on gamepass and I'm having a bunch of fun with it. Not sure how the loops play into it but it's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I picked this game up on EGS since there's a sale on and I didn't like using the gamepad on xbox. I binged through it in 14 hours and it was great. I really love exploring and finding information about game worlds. This one is just small enough that it doesn't eventually become a slog. The very end was a bit tedious because I kept realizing I should have done something earlier and had to start over. Other than that, I had a great time. Kind of wish EGS had achievements so I could know if I was missing doing anything, but oh well. When it comes out on steam, maybe I'll buy it again to give these people more money. This game is so good. I'm also glad I made it through without looking anything up. I technically looked up how to get to one place, but I had already done it but didn't know how I did it, and waiting a few minutes for each try seemed like a waste of my time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HampHamp posted:

Ok this is my favourite game in ages, but I think I may have a bug which is stopping me finishing the game. MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS BELOW

I'm pretty sure I'm working toward the end of the game - I've used the warp core to power the vessel, and used the coordinates to get to the Eye of the Universe. The issue is, when I try and head south on the Eye of the Universe, I'll randomly get a message that I've broken spacetime, and the game will end. I can then reload a save and it puts me back on the vessel, where I can teleport to the Eye again.

Am I doing something wrong? I've tried going slowly, going quickly, using my flashlight, nothing works. I've gotten as far as a kind of crater, but it ends shortly after I step into it. Any help would be much appreciated, I've absolutely adored this game and would hate to have to look up the ending on YouTube.

That sounds like it might be a bug. I'm guessing that message pops up when two of the same object appear at the same time and maybe it's just a generic thing that looks for that condition for it to pop up. And maybe you're accidentally doing that thing, or there's a bug causing that to happen. You might want to contact them about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

You lose 0 progress for ripping the fabric of spacetime. It just kicks you to the main menu

The problem is I think he already did a thing you can't really go back from, or at least I don't know if you can go back from it. He's at the very end of the game.

Also, you unlock resting at fires after dying twice. Die twice quickly, and you can rest at fires until you're able to learn meditation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you can't figure it out, it's Z on the keyboard at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just started a new game, go the codes and got into the ship and was able to press Z to get to the rumors page. Have you tried loading the game up without your PS4 controller on to see if that's causing an issue?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Got back into the game and explored Dark Bramble Getting to the Vessel was tough, due to those three anglerfish that are RIGHT in front of you when you enter that seed! Having to go back to the escape pod, then shoot your scouter into the grave, and THEN follow the copy every time you got eaten was a bit annoying. I basically got past those three fish by pure luck. But, all the stuff you discover there is very cool. Looks like I need to get a new warp core to the Vessel. I also found the way to get into the Giant's Deep core, I've never seen these jellyfish things before this though.

It looks like you haven't finished the game yet so I'll give you a quick tip. Since you've already been through the bramble and found the ship and you've figured out you need to go back eventually, I'll help you with an easier way to get there. When you get into the bramble, head straight for the red glow. The only fish you really need to worry about is the first one, but not really even that one if you're patient. The fish only react to sounds, so if you don't thrust, they don't move. I also think you can just float right through them, or at least right through their teeth. Make your way to the red glow seed and then really thrust into it. When you get through, don't do anything, don't thrust. You can rotate around, but don't do anything to alter your course. You will slowly float past the fish and towards what I am guessing is their eggs or whatever. When you reach the eggs, you are safe to thrust. I don't know if you always have the same orientation when you enter the red glow part, but when you get to the eggs, look up and head to the white glow you see. That's the ship. You're safe to thrust as much as you want until you get to the ship. It's not tough or scary, it just takes time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Impatience is what kills everyone there.

Impatience and not knowing if the course I was on was safe was what did me in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you find the cave down there? it is quantum as well. You will need to keep pushing further into the cave, and keep quantuming past any obstacles you find. It's not anything super necessary, it just teaches you another thing about quantum objects.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The lakebed was the last thing I did because it kept confusing me and the timing there is even more hectic.

Also, what platform are you playing on? Maybe you need to reinstall the game or you're having other issues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Then go down there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Once you find out in-game how long the loop lasts, it should show the current time when resting instead of the number of minutes you're resting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My issue with trying to land there is that I'm trying to station keep with the sun station but then the game decides that it's time to fling my ship out past the hour glass twins. I'm able to use my thrusters to stay near the station for a while but the game decides that's enough and forces me away. It would make sense if I were on an elliptical orbit, but I'm going the same speed as the station.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I prefer it on PC compared to xbox where I first tried it. I couldn't get the fine control I wanted with a gamepad. I grew up with mouse and keyboard and that's what I'm used to. PC gives you the option of whatever control scheme you want. Also, PS4 has the save deleting crash bug that might have been fixed but I've still seen things about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This waiting at campfires... it's not the same as meditating to end the loop, right? Is it something you activate on a campfire? How did I miss this if so?

Waiting at campfires unlocks after dying twice. You go up to it and press whatever the button prompt is (I think it is R on PC). It goes to a screen with a timer on it and you let it run for however many minutes you want. Meditating just goes straight to the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

Did they patch in achievements to the PC version yet?

Epic store doesn't have achievements. Whenever it comes out on Steam it will probably have achievements.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Really? I always kept dying when I tried going there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^ There's a trick? It was the same as anything else for me.

1. Yes, I obsessed over reading all the text I could, so the in game rumors thing pointed me there
2. No, I did it accidentally once but didn't know why it worked and had to look it up later
3. Yes, because the first one I used had a bunch of text explaining it
4. I did, but I never got that far so I don't know what the difference was

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Infocom style hints!

1.Is there a way you can keep it on screen even when you're in landing mode?
2.There totally is.
3.Maybe you can be looking at two things at once?
4.Take a picture of the quantum moon with your probe and it won't disappear as long as the picture is displayed.

I don't think this works because The probe camera goes away when you go into landing mode. You don't need to do landing mode at all, just fly into the moon slowly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't forget that there are two maps, there's one where it's just the planets, and one where it's a red string diagram showing connections between a bunch of things. I used that second one because it really helps you figure things out a bit more easily and remember that some things are connected. You could even post a picture of your clue map and we could probably nudge you in a direction that gives you something new.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's only a few minutes. You can beat the entire game in 10 minutes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree do not read any spoiler text unless it is in response to something you specifically asked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I will also add that, especially in this game, just someone mentioned an area you've been to isn't a guarantee that it won't spoil something for you. I finished this game and then a few months later came in this thread and learned I could go somewhere I didn't realize and got some new info for the rumor board. Don't risk ruining this game for yourself, because there's so much to explore and find.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Got this on Steam today and almost got mad and refunded because I couldn't save and had to get the launch codes twice.

Killed myself in space and now I'm good.

Does it matter that I ignored the NPCs when I had to get the launch codes again? I also didn't do the Zero G cave thing.

What do you mean you had to get the launch codes twice? Like you got to the launch codes but then exited the game before the loop ended? If nothing saved from the first time you played, you might have some info missing from the rumor board, but you don't have to do anything you don't want to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You eventually get an option to just end the loop you're on, which is like saving.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Landing with the ship just takes practice. And most crashes end with you just having to repair the ship and it's good as new. I know the game says 'gamepad recommended' but I couldn't get my brain to wrap around using a controller. I switched to keyboard and I can land just fine. I guess I'm just used to kerbal space program.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

I think I've hit that wall in DB. Resisted the urge to mouse over that blacktext or look up spoilers so I'm just going to slow the game down a bit and hang out in Timber Hearth for a bit while I think about it.

If you've hit a wall, then go somewhere else. Check your information board and see where else you can still explore. You don't need to guess at anything, the game has information on how to do everything you need to do. Well, except for the one thing in spoiler text above. I don't know if there's anything in the game that specifically mentions what you're supposed to do there. It's more of a "Well this thing does this, and that's like that, and doing this does that, so maybe I need to do this other thing" and then you've got it. I did it on accident my first time, had no idea what I even did, couldn't get it to work again and just looked it up since I had already "discovered" it once.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like they patched the game and that's a new one. They changed around the black hole forge raise/drop room. Used to be there were some stairs down the side of the room, now there are stairs in the back of the room and the top is closed off. I'll leave that as a hint.

Also, my previous info is now wrong. The game now does give you information do to everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can't accidentally get there because it is a multi planet puzzle. You have to go to the hanging city, raise the forge, then head all the way back to ash twin. By the time you make the connection between the two, you're probably far enough along in the game that you're ready for that info anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

If there is it might not have come in the version I played last year. Would love to see if it you know where it's located- that way if I recommend more friends play it and they get stuck I can point em to it.

The game was patched since I last played it. There is now a new rumor in the black hole forge that explains why it works that way. The twin planets count as one body and, for warping purposes, their center is between them. So in order to warp down, their central point has to be above you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sonel posted:

If this was about finding the log for the Ash twin Alignment map I would rather just be told where it is. Spent a few hours trying to find it with no luck.

Look at my last post before this one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CRISPYBABY posted:

Super minor hourglass twins lore related comments below:

I would have liked to see what it looks like when the ash flow reverses and goes from the Ember Twin to the Ash Twin (as Chert mentions it does), but I guess that's a different 22 minute snapshot. Also (unless I missed it), I would have liked to see some info on why the ash is flowing between the planets in the first place. I guess "they're intertwined planets in a strange orbit directly beside the sun subject to strange gravitational phenomena" is kind of a reason, but it would have been cool to see some Nomai logs about it. The guys on Giant's deep built tornado protection chambers, but the Ember Twin squad seemed to kind of ignore the whole ash column of death thing aside from the RUN QUICK TO THE CITY messages along the path from the distress signal.

I really wanted to see more about this. How exactly did they live there if the sand was constantly filling up their city? When you go in there, the sand fills up everything, and there's nowhere to go but up. So how did they survive here with the sand constantly going back and forth every 20 or so minutes? Maybe it's just a limitation of how the rising sand works and in the game's reality, their structures protected them from the sand, but it just seems dangerous to live somewhere that can crush you with sand when you are caught unaware.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Had no idea that’s what they do. Why am I dying if I stand in them?

Do you have your space suit on?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They mentioned Giant's Deep and islands, I assume they are talking about the cyclone chambers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

It’s on Giants Deep. On two of the islands. Platform with a blue spirally lines coming up.

Yes I have my spacesuit on. It’s not ghost matter.

Is it one of these things?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 25, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Those are for landing your ship in places that might go to space or are in space. So you don't have to worry about your ship floating away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Lore question:

Why does the probe launcher keep firing in random directions even AFTER the probe computer knows the location of the Eye? Shouldn't it have stopped once it found its goal?

late game stuff: the probe launcher is programmed to fire in a random direction and the probe is programmed to report back what it finds. It's likely they didn't program it to stop when it found something because it wouldn't really matter. If the sun station had worked, they would wake up back in time, and check the logs, see it worked, and then stop the sun station. If the probe launcher had already fired again and broke, oh well, not like they need to use it again anyway. There's no reason to program in a log check when you want as much time as possible for the probe to find the eye.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's how life works though. There's no story or plan to how your life will go. Sometimes you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and you die for no reason. It happens all the time. It's a big issue going on in the news right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

dmboogie posted:

The Nomai didn't have anything to do with the Interloper ghost mattering them all to death, didn't they? It was going to happen, one way or another; the only thing their expedition changed was that a few of them got a horrifying warning about what was about to happen to their entire people.

They didn't. They saw the interloper was coming into the star system and went to go check it out. I'm assuming that being heated by the sun is what caused the core of ghost matter to explode and spread the ghost matter around the system. All the logs showed was that the two nomai were examining the core and that pressure was building up inside. Maybe it's possible their equipment could cause it to rupture, but I think it was just they happened to be there right when it happened. Their curiosity might have gotten them lost in this system, but all their curiosity did this time was cause two of the nomai to die a little bit sooner than everyone else. There was nothing that could be done to save them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure once you get past the first cycle, it saves whenever you quit.