Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

I'm not mad about the pricing because the updated mac mini exists. The Mac Pro just isn't for consumers and that's fine by me. :shrug:

I mean, the updated mac mini is insanely priced as well. Also, tends to get uncomfortably loud. Also, it's okay to want products made for you instead of some hypothetical other user that would be perfectly served by this machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can anyone on the iOS beta (or macOS, I guess) tell me if they allow emails to be "shared" now? I had to switch from Mail to Spark because Mail for some reason has no easy way to open the Share Extension/Actions to make reminders or notes and what not. Spark is pretty great, but I'm getting really annoyed at it because my badge counters don't update on time like Mail does, and for some reason they don't let you disable push notifications while keeping badges.

On iOS, not from what I can see, but I could be wrong. I didn't realize how nice that would be.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Over There posted:

On iOS, not from what I can see, but I could be wrong. I didn't realize how nice that would be.

So on iOS 12, the only way (as far as I know) to bring up the Share/Action extension on an email is to tap the reply button, then print, then it creates a pdf that you can 3D Touch, and then you can share it into other apps (save to Dropbox, make a reminder, etc etc all actions that I assume aren’t special edge cases).

So yeah, it’d be pretty nice to not have to do that (without giving some other company, as much as I like their software, full unfettered access to my email accounts).

gregday
May 23, 2003

At $999, I'm going to start calling it the Grand Stand.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lambert posted:

I mean, the updated mac mini is insanely priced as well. Also, tends to get uncomfortably loud. Also, it's okay to want products made for you instead of some hypothetical other user that would be perfectly served by this machine.

Yep. There is no GPU on that thing even, it’s such poor value compared to the equivalent NUC. And those upgrade prices... £540 to go to 1TB £540 to go to 32GB.

It remains the case (as for 10+ years) that most potential (and many actual) Apple desktop users would prefer an xMac (desktop CPU, mini tower, 2 GPU slots, upgradeable ram/SSD) over anything they sell.

This would also make Macs an option for anyone who wants to game.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

wooger posted:

Yep. There is no GPU on that thing even, it’s such poor value compared to the equivalent NUC. And those upgrade prices... £540 to go to 1TB £540 to go to 32GB.

It remains the case (as for 10+ years) that most potential (and many actual) Apple desktop users would prefer an xMac (desktop CPU, mini tower, 2 GPU slots, upgradeable ram/SSD) over anything they sell.

Yep, would love an Xmac. Of course, they're never going to sell one. Looking at small cases like the Dancase A4 or a Streacom DA2, quite small cases are possible while still retaining full-size GPU support.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

wooger posted:

Add RAM on your own and use Thunderbolt for external storage.

I've never understood the fascination with having massive storage in the new (post 2015 really) Apple products. Get what you need for programs, OS, and maybe a current project, and expand the rest via TB3.

That's not how a PC works obviously but that's the best way to make Apple devices work.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Add RAM on your own and use Thunderbolt (or, more likely, the 10GbE) for external storage.

I've never understood the fascination with having massive storage in the new (post 2015 really) Apple products. Get what you need for programs, OS, and maybe a current project, and expand the rest via TB3/NAS.

That's not how a PC works obviously but that's the best way to make Apple devices work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't hate the trashcan if they didn't market it as a mac pro. They should keep it around and call it something else.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

wooger posted:

If you wanna do any sort of iOS/macOS/iPadOS(!!!) development, it's generally your best bet if you don't want to spend ~2k+.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only people with opinions on Mac Pro pricing that Apple cares about are the people in various purchasing, procurement, or business expensing departments who need to sign off on the purchases. They don't care about some random person on the internet or whether a developer at Twitter thinks it's too expensive or not because the former isn't their target and the latter isn't who's gonna be footing the bill.

A huge amount of vfx and cgi production is done by contractors, both freelance and smaller teams. This is prohibitively expensive for them compared to a solution where they can just slot more quadros into their system for their viewport/simulation rendering as their needs suit.

There are big gargantuan sweatshops too, but they are also typically contractors and have thinner margins than you’d think. Don’t you IT guys like, do cost-benefit analysis stuff on big purchases?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Depends on the toolset. A lot of VFX is done on Linux which makes Macs not even an option. At least for big studios. I can see them in medium to small studios doing edit and sound work. No one is going to be working on big budget VFX on a Mac. It’s not that you can’t but the industry is already neck deep in proprietary tools that are designed for whopper PC workstations running Linux.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

eames posted:

Haha, Apple knows.

Screenshot taken from a video of the WWDC demo setup where they recreated a "video studio workflow room" with ingest-, editing-, coloring-, rendering-stations, etc. All the work stations were Mac Pros and then they briefly panned to this in an unlit corner...

That is absolutely hilarious.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Depends on the toolset. A lot of VFX is done on Linux which makes Macs not even an option. At least for big studios. I can see them in medium to small studios doing edit and sound work. No one is going to be working on big budget VFX on a Mac. It’s not that you can’t but the industry is already neck deep in proprietary tools that are designed for whopper PC workstations running Linux.

Yep. The person I had in mind when I wrote that post created the matrix bullet dodge effect, and as you say, it’s wall to wall Linux in her office.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Add RAM on your own and use Thunderbolt for external storage.

I've never understood the fascination with having massive storage in the new (post 2015 really) Apple products. Get what you need for programs, OS, and maybe a current project, and expand the rest via TB3.

TB3 enclosure = extra cost and ugly wires, obliterating any benefit from having a mini case. The base price for all these things should include 1TB at least.

This is a thing on Mac due to lock-in + laughable upgrade pricing for storage, not because it’s superior or sane. And it’s not a thing on PCs because a 1TB M2 NVMe SSD is ~$200.

There’s is no benefit to a laughably small SSD other than cost savings for Apple (and gouging people into playing $500 for a <$200 upgrade).

eames
May 9, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

That is absolutely hilarious.

another pretty ironic cameo in the background of this video :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8CGZEpmFq0&t=74s

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So when AMD has a 64C/128T EPYC processor with USB4, can Apple switch their pro products to that?

Ahahahaha... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Expect the next update to the mac pro some time in 2025, going by historical precedent.