Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Criminal Minded posted:

That's just called "the median." "Median average" is a brain-teaser of a contradictory phrase.

Not really. The mean, median, mode are all types of averages. Just like a square, triangle and rectangle are all types of shapes. It's a little weird to say it's a triangle shape, as opposed to, it's a triangle, but it's not wrong. But in general usage, people say "average" when they mean mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

sweet thursday posted:

Vince Young's wonderlic test is always a classic

It’s sad that I thought this was actually real.

Instead he got either a 6 or a 12 (sources vary), which is not much better.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

kazr posted:

It's like the mean but in the middle

Pawg From Produce posted:

You list all the values from highest to lowest and take the one in the middle. Reduces the effect of outliers.

I know what the median is ya dummies. I just haven’t heard it ever referred to as a “median average” since average typically refers to the arithmetic mean. But since mean along with median and mode are all measures of central tendency I guess calling them all types of averages colloquially is not fully wrong???

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So the athletes are significantly smarter than the OP?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
They all get assigned personal tutors for each class too. Pretty nice perk I wish I had.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Burt Sexual posted:

They all get assigned personal tutors for each class too. Pretty nice perk I wish I had.

We all should have grown up better at football.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ruggan posted:

I know what the median is ya dummies. I just haven’t heard it ever referred to as a “median average” since average typically refers to the arithmetic mean. But since mean along with median and mode are all measures of central tendency I guess calling them all types of averages colloquially is not fully wrong???

The average median is if you took all the medians but put them on an average. Like the median median, you get the middle value of the average of the medians. Do you understand now?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
you can't work out 3.5 times a week

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Cubone posted:

you can't work out 3.5 times a week

Yea, if you work out every other day

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Kazak posted:

Yea, if you work out every other day

It's only possible to work out 3 times a week. How can you do half a workout!!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pawn 17 posted:

Easy. You work out 7 times every 2 weeks.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

All Brains and No Muscle? Lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

kazr posted:

The average median is if you took all the medians but put them on an average. Like the median median, you get the middle value of the average of the medians. Do you understand now?

Yes, I understand what layering aggregations is. No, that still doesn't make sense in this context. GPA is a single value per individual, and so at the team level you only get a median or a mean. There is no average of averages or average of medians at play here.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Uhhhhhh

Vols bitch

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Not bad but not great either

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ruggan posted:

Yes, I understand what layering aggregations is. No, that still doesn't make sense in this context. GPA is a single value per individual, and so at the team level you only get a median or a mean. There is no average of averages or average of medians at play here.

Shut up, nerds

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ruggan posted:

Jfc shut up about this math poo poo, we’re here for football and athletic scholars.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dang that deserves some kind of reward maybe they could pay their athletes

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

M.C. McMic posted:

At first I thought it was funny. Then I realized they're student athletes, and there's probably like 100 of them, counting the practice squad and whatnot.

A 2.89 GPA isn't all that surprising. That's what?... a low "B" or high "C" average? That's for a bunch of guys who basically live in the gym and on the football field. Also, the guys on scholarships had basically zero academic requirements to get into UT.

I mean, if they tweeted out that their team had a 3.2 average GPA, I feel like people would be like, "holy poo poo," or they'd just launch an NCAA investigation.

It's just a tone-deaf tweet.

Why tweet at all about a football team's GPA, it's like tweeting out the band's average 40 yard dash. Of course its going to look real bad and is better left unsaid

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

1redflag posted:

Shut up, nerds

Burt Sexual posted:

Jfc shut up about this math poo poo, we’re here for football and athletic scholars.

see you in class tomorrow - coach says any grade is ok as long as we win

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrrj0076E9U

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Burt Sexual posted:

When I was a TA and had student athletes the athletics department also kept close tabs on their grades, emailing to check in every couple of weeks and asking how to "help" a student athlete succeed if their grades started to flag (not difficult to read in between the lines on that)

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What's a normal rate for non athletes? Just under a 3 for Texas seems good? Ancedottaly my experience was athletes basically get all the cheats and to pass, but they're bumped up to passing, not a 4.0

That said free poo poo included the free tutoring by subject (optional), get out of class, take exams on the road proctored by the team (which means open book, that's how I passed my final physics course), priority early class registration and the important poo poo... basically every frat will give you full cheating help if asked.

I was in marching band, not even football and got all but the frat support and free tutors.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I did have a class with our kicker and remember this prof who have a class speech about how he was on tenure and he wasn't going to let people skip the midterm for extracurricular activities.

It was p. funny and a lot of people were confused. It was even better when he was wrong.

Football runs schools.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
All frats don’t have tutors or connections inside. All football D1 at least, do.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I was in the same class as casey clausen who was Tennessee’s qb in college and he never showed to class once

He beat Florida in the swamp though so the free grades are justified

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My college would be so greatly improved if the D1 athletics program, the money it makes the University, the exposure it grants the school, and the desirability to draw more students to it was given to another school.
All of the revenue brought in by those programs and the effects they have? Garbage. It's annoying that people I don't have to interact with don't come to my classes to not get the education I am.
Now, of course what I'm REALLY concerned with is the athletes themselves, obviously, and how they are being treated so unfairly by the system. That's why denying them access to these Universities by cancelling these programs all together is also beneficial.
Can't you see how much this benefits everyone here?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

college football is a great excuse to get drunk at 11am

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

This is ridiculous. A particle accelerator in Alabama?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Uhhhhhh

Vols bitch

no gently caress you!!

Also most of them go pro in something other than sports, haven't you seen the NCAAs propaganda commercials in support of amateurism?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pawn 17 posted:

See the above discussions about averages.

God drat, I think the Texas Longhorn football team might be smarter than you are.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Big Beef City posted:

My college would be so greatly improved if the D1 athletics program, the money it makes the University, the exposure it grants the school, and the desirability to draw more students to it was given to another school.
All of the revenue brought in by those programs and the effects they have? Garbage. It's annoying that people I don't have to interact with don't come to my classes to not get the education I am.
Now, of course what I'm REALLY concerned with is the athletes themselves, obviously, and how they are being treated so unfairly by the system. That's why denying them access to these Universities by cancelling these programs all together is also beneficial.
Can't you see how much this benefits everyone here?

I surely see how it benefits the boosters and the university’s administration. Not sure how much it helps the kids who don’t go pro and end up with significant injuries and a worthless degree. Maybe we could just pay the athletes for their services at a competitive rate instead of telling them we are giving them the privilege of being enrolled in a university they aren’t even really attending.

E. vvv okay, yea, agreed.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 5, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

1redflag posted:

I surely see how it benefits the boosters and the university’s administration. Not sure how much it helps the kids who don’t go pro and end up with significant injuries and a worthless degree. Maybe we could just pay the athletes for their services at a competitive rate instead of telling them we are giving them the privilege of being enrolled in a university they aren’t even really attending.

Change 'instead' to 'and give' so they can still keep the degree for whatever worth they're able to give it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

college football is a great excuse to get drunk at 11am

10am central

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Big Beef City posted:

Prove that this University inflated these students grades.
Not just 'well if course they did' because you're mad about sports.

You realize given how endemic cheating and special classes and tutors and pressure on professors is in college sports that the burden of proof is on them to prove they didn't give the athletes special privileges. Right?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

sweet thursday posted:

Vince Young's wonderlic test is always a classic

Thanks for posting this so I didn't have to!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s this kind of thinking that made a 2.7 GPA a record high for scholars in America

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Guys, guys, sports medicine is a very difficult subject.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

See the above discussions about averages.

God drat, I think the Texas Longhorn football team might be smarter than you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

It was active for 2 days, and then it was locked. One guy was being stupid and potentially trolling with a forum full of people calling him an idiot and a moderator locked it within 48 hours because it had devolved into nothing but people calling the one bad poster names.

It's really weird to see it constantly brought up as some sort of "hahaha dumb jocks" story considering what happened. Like either it's one really dumb person or it's a thread full of people falling for some bad bait, the latter of which ironically is what everyone who references it seems to be doing.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 5, 2019