Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shut up Meg posted:

I get your explanation, but I still find it odd that something that is designed to be a really, really effective safe can be opened by someone with a bit of bent metal and some determination.

After the battle you'll need the ability to get soldiers out if they are wounded or dead without having to blowtorch it open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shut up Meg posted:

I get your explanation, but I still find it odd that something that is designed to be a really, really effective safe can be opened by someone with a bit of bent metal and some determination.

Here's the best pic I can find of an M60's hatches open (the stolen tank was an old M60A3):

The Loader's hatch is the one closest to the camera. You can see that it has two little levers. The one on the bottom is to secure the hatch in position - part-way open, open, locked back. The one on the top of the hatch is the lever that locks the hatch when it is closed. Same deal with the TC's hatch.

It's just physics - if you can bend that lock with a crowbar, you can pry open the hatch. Again, this isn't a big deal in combat because - well, try it and you'll get machinegunned. A tank's strength is in its armor and its mobility, not in the hatches - and like I said, you really don't want that hatch to get stuck if you're stuck inside and there's a compelling reason to get out, like a fire.

To secure a tank when it isn't in use you lock all of the hatches [Edit: except the loader's hatch] from the inside, then lock the Loader's hatch from the outside with a padlock. Tanks (like most military vehicles) don't have ignition keys, so if you want to steal a tank all you have to do is open that padlock with a pair of bolt cutters.

Because this is so easy all of the tanks on the USMC's ramp (tank parking lot, a "motor pool" in the army) are guarded by jarheads with loaded rifles, even in peacetime. Obviously the National Guard didn't follow this, which is how you end up with a stolen tank.

Edit: This is going to lead to a wave of goon-tank-theft, isn't it?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 6, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Evilreaver posted:

After the battle you'll need the ability to get soldiers out if they are wounded or dead without having to blowtorch it open

Well, that's a bit of a downer.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How do you lock all the hatches from the inside, then get out?

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

Slide under the stall door.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. You lock all hatches except the loader's hatch from the inside. Then you exit through the loader's hatch, and lock that from the outside with a padlock.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cessna posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. You lock all hatches except the loader's hatch from the inside. Then you exit through the loader's hatch, and lock that from the outside with a padlock.

Not a prob, thanks for all the good info you’re providing, and dumbing it down for us non tankologists.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Burt Sexual posted:

Not a prob, thanks for all the good info you’re providing, and dumbing it down for us non tankologists.

BRB. Going to steal a tank now

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Shut up Meg posted:

BRB. Going to steal a tank now

KILLDOZER v Tank: Wreckoning

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

eighty-four merc posted:

so next guy needs to, what, use a bigger dozer, relocate the radiator, probably install additional/upgraded cooling fans, water jets to spray the radiator fins, an intercooler, w/m injection, maybe slot the plating to accomodate the air flow, put a smaller pulley on the water pump, not get high centered in a basement, idk what i'm missing but i'm sure more improvements could get made

Next guy should probably make the top of the killdozer sloped, so that debris doesn't just sit on top and weigh the thing down.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Queering Wheel posted:

Next guy should probably make the top of the killdozer sloped, so that debris doesn't just sit on top and weigh the thing down.

You don’t make a killdozer 2.0. Killdozer is a one time thing. He knew that going into battle. :hai:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

a modern-day remake of Blast Corps would be tight as hell, there is some really impressive destruction and physics engines out there.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Queering Wheel posted:

i think that was an aesthetic choice. kind of like how a building is probably condemned the instant you take out a corner and partially collapse a roof, but he had his blast corps fun and scraped the fuckers off the map

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Don't get pissed at me for bumping this old thread kind goons, but I managed to dig up the original KILLDOZER thread in the archives.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1075649

Archives access required, of course. I gave lowtax :10bux: for Archives this morning so I could find this, and then another :10bux: for platinum just to help pay the bandwidth bills I'm sure all my lurking has incurred. So should you, if you're a real gooooon!

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Did we forget the 15th anniversary of Killdozer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Anyone willing to stan for killdozer at this point is a piece of poo poo. Anyone who didn’t stan for the killdozer myth is also a piece of poo poo.