Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

If you're gonna go to the expense of importing Japanese booze, you may as well make it something worthwhile like whisky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Les Os posted:

I'm on the West Side of San Antonio. Total Wine sells Kirin, Sapporo and the owl one someone said earlier. The gucci HEB has those too. There's a little early japanese grocery but it's more of the same

this is true tho

You can get Hitachino Nest white ale and Yuzu lager and Orion lager at the Spec's on De Zavala.

Randarkman posted:

16 year olds think jagermeister is good and that you're cooler if you drink beer that's made in a weird way.

Lagers are the best.

Dime-a-dozen nerd contrarians think posts like these are awesome. Beer snobbery and beer populist poseury are both stupid and obnoxious.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Clitch posted:

Beer snobbery and beer populist poseury are both stupid and obnoxious.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lotsa lovely IPAs here in San Diego

i keep my fridge stocked with crispy cold Coors Banquet as a precaution

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Ah. To be 16 again and legitimately think things like this...

I mean, Germany has only been perfecting lagers for hundreds of years, but what the gently caress do they know? Try my triple dry hopped sour pineapple IPA. That's the stuff.

I think the rise of craft brewing in America has been great for opening our eyes to the poo poo that BMC puts out, but it introduced a whole new set of issues. If I want a decent beer at a decent price, I'll just grab a Spaten or something similar.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 5, 2019

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

The Japanese beer marker is very cool I have written many articles about it.

Did you know that until 1995 you couldn't open a brewery unless you were going to produce 200,000 hectolitres? Now it's 10,000 litres.

Asahi, Sapporo, Suntory and Kirin control 90% of the Japanese beer marker.

Craft beer in Japanese is 'craftu biiru'

There are 120 craft breweries in Japan!

Craft beer makes up only 3% of the market but is growing fast!

Beer in Japan has higher tax for higher malt content so cheap beer is called 'Saposhu' and is made with 70% pea sugar.

Beer was brought to Japan in the late 1800s by Dutch traders.

Beer is Japan's most popular drink since 1950s! And their consumption is one of the highest in the world!

After Asahi releases super dry they claimed over 80% market share in a couple of years after having 10% previously.

Up until Asahi most Japanese beer drunk was western-style ales and it was drunk by old mens

Consumers loved super dry as it had a crisp flavour which cleaned the palate, and so complimented all the international, strong flavoured foods that took off in Japan in the 1980s

Hitachino is nice and one of the few Japanese beers you can get abroad. My favourite is white ale. Try their special cherry blossom brew.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Rockybar posted:

The Japanese beer marker is very cool I have written many articles about it.

Did you know that until 1995 you couldn't open a brewery unless you were going to produce 200,000 hectolitres? Now it's 10,000 litres.

Asahi, Sapporo, Suntory and Kirin control 90% of the Japanese beer marker.

Craft beer in Japanese is 'craftu biiru'

There are 120 craft breweries in Japan!

Craft beer makes up only 3% of the market but is growing fast!

Beer in Japan has higher tax for higher malt content so cheap beer is called 'Saposhu' and is made with 70% pea sugar.

Beer was brought to Japan in the late 1800s by Dutch traders.

Beer is Japan's most popular drink since 1950s! And their consumption is one of the highest in the world!

After Asahi releases super dry they claimed over 80% market share in a couple of years after having 10% previously.

Up until Asahi most Japanese beer drunk was western-style ales and it was drunk by old mens

Consumers loved super dry as it had a crisp flavour which cleaned the palate, and so complimented all the international, strong flavoured foods that took off in Japan in the 1980s

Hitachino is nice and one of the few Japanese beers you can get abroad. My favourite is white ale. Try their special cherry blossom brew.
Imagine being a weeb, but for beer instead of animated child titties.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody ever bring some beers in checked luggage, in the unpressurized section of the plane? I brought some beers over from Belgium once and they kept exploding when I opened them. I don't know if it's from being at 40,000 feet or just got jolted around too much.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

At the very least, you can drink beer until you forget you weeb over beer.

Drinking anime girls until you forget you weeb over anime girls is kind of :aatrek:

Charles posted:

Anybody ever bring some beers in checked luggage, in the unpressurized section of the plane? I brought some beers over from Belgium once and they kept exploding when I opened them. I don't know if it's from being at 40,000 feet or just got jolted around too much.

Everything involved with being in a thin upper atmosphere contributed to you beer chicanery. Also possible they were shaken, but :shrug:

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Infidel Castro posted:

Hatsune drinku

Not Skynet
Jul 10, 2012
One time in Ishinomaki I bought a beer with a sumo wrestler showing his butt on the can. That's my Japanese beer story.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

The Dregs posted:

I mean, Germany has only been perfecting lagers for hundreds of years, but what the gently caress do they know? Try my triple dry hopped sour pineapple IPA. That's the stuff.

I think the rise of craft brewing in America has been great for opening our eyes to the poo poo that BMC puts out, but it introduced a whole new set of issues. If I want a decent beer at a decent price, I'll just grab a Spaten or something similar.

Hey man I ain't disparaging swill. I'll drink swill any day. But I know its garbage, and I embrace the garbage.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The Japanese make some good whiskey now too but they price it at liek $250 the cocky bastards

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ah. To be 16 again and legitimately think things like this...

I'm glad I'm not still 16 and thinking lager = macrobrew

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I just miss going to a shop next door and buying a tall can for a dollar.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Under Doug Ford's wise counsel, buck a beer dream is real!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Hitachino also has maybe the best logo in beer; i love that little owl dude

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
All beer is good. Except for IPA that dumb assholes add lactose to and stick the word "milkshake" on the label WHAT THE gently caress

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Charles posted:

I once brought a few bottles from Canada to Australia, and the bottle of IPA clearly leaked since my clothes were wet and smelled like a pine tree. However the cap was still sealed, bottle didn't break, very little liquid was lost, and the beer was still fully carbonated. Dunno how that worked.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I just looked it up to double check but the luggage hold is also pressurized just like the rest of the plane, and I think at like .5 bar or .8 bar or something that is equivalent to 10,000 feet, that goes for the whole fuselage. Now weather or not it's heated down there is another one. It might get really frickin' cold down there and freezing of beer will pop the top or cause a leak or even shatter the whole drat bottle! :wth:

edit: according to one source it still doesn't get below freezing in the cargo hold.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 6, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a goon whose family runs a brewery was my secret santa gifter a number of years ago and they couldn't figure an easy way to ship booze internationally so if a UK brewer decided it was too much trouble i have a feeling the average goon will too

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

I drank Chang beer for a whole month in Thailand and make fun of "craft" beer all you want but the variety is great.

Not around here. 10 years ago when the craft beer biz was just taking off the varieties coming out were incredible, but now it's just IPAs with various weird poo poo added in.

it's never a flavor that successfully overcomes the nasty IPA flavor. I'm not making any of these up, some of the flavors I've seen have been Tangerine IPA, strawberry milkshake IPA, a coconut orange sprinkles IPA, and of course, every brewer makes a double IPA. And that's sprinkles, as in what you put on ice cream.

I love variety, but all of these taste like various different types of puke.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

I just looked it up to double check but the luggage hold is also pressurized just like the rest of the plane, and I think at like .5 bar or .8 bar or something that is equivalent to 10,000 feet, that goes for the whole fuselage. Now weather or not it's heated down there is another one. It might get really frickin' cold down there and freezing of beer will pop the top or cause a leak or even shatter the whole drat bottle! :wth:

edit: according to one source it still doesn't get below freezing in the cargo hold.

I've successfully checked an entire suitcase filled with nothing but beer on a plane, twice. Each time I put every can in a freezer bag just to be safe, and each time none of them burst.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's a dedication to beer i will never have

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

fakeaccount posted:

I've successfully checked an entire suitcase filled with nothing but beer on a plane, twice. Each time I put every can in a freezer bag just to be safe, and each time none of them burst.
Can might be the key. Bottles have all sorts of ways to fail.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

If you don't enjoy a crisp, clear lager with a reasonable abv then what are you even doing

Sapporo is a great beer

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

fakeaccount posted:

Not around here. 10 years ago when the craft beer biz was just taking off the varieties coming out were incredible, but now it's just IPAs with various weird poo poo added in.

it's never a flavor that successfully overcomes the nasty IPA flavor. I'm not making any of these up, some of the flavors I've seen have been Tangerine IPA, strawberry milkshake IPA, a coconut orange sprinkles IPA, and of course, every brewer makes a double IPA. And that's sprinkles, as in what you put on ice cream.

I love variety, but all of these taste like various different types of puke.

The hazy/juicy IPAs that have been getting popular lately are really good tho

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

You have to be careful to buy the imported stuff not the cheap crap that's brewed locally under licence.

Usually the cans are a safer bet but check the packaging.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I just woke up in the middle of the night and ate lima beans out of the can.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
combine green and red herbs

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Is this the SA goonmeet thread?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm going to take the apparently controversial position that both macro brew lagers and micro brew IPAs can be delicious.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
turns out they all get ya drunk

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

I'm going to take the apparently controversial position that both macro brew lagers and micro brew IPAs can be delicious.

Hell yeah

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I had a japanese beer once at a japanese cafe. It had, like, a wave or a sea scene on the label or some poo poo. It tasted slightly of saltwater. It was wonderful and I never found it again. goodbye beer. I miss you.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Try some Sawa sawa sake or some umeshu.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Hey man I ain't disparaging swill. I'll drink swill any day. But I know its garbage, and I embrace the garbage.

I wondering what you think lager means.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Colonel Cancer posted:

Under Doug Ford's wise counsel, buck a beer dream is real!

What good is that when the shops close at 9 pm and are only far away in commercial zones? I want cheap beer in a 24/7 convenience store next door to my house.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bitmap posted:

I had a japanese beer once at a japanese cafe. It had, like, a wave or a sea scene on the label or some poo poo. It tasted slightly of saltwater. It was wonderful and I never found it again. goodbye beer. I miss you.

A lot of mexican beers are greatly improved by adding a little bit of salt. Pacifico, which is similar to Corona but actually good, is one example that comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bitmap posted:

goodbye beer. I miss you.