Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
Was I the only one waiting for them to jump out of nowhere and kidnap Luke/Nichole or even try something to Luke when he was on the bridge with the headphones on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Having the worst luck watching the Handmaid's Tale tonight, it appears to have been completely removed from Hulu. :yikes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure this court case is gonna be dumb as gently caress. Dumb as gently caress legal drama wasn't what I was hoping for from this season.

I said come in! posted:

Having the worst luck watching the Handmaid's Tale tonight, it appears to have been completely removed from Hulu. :yikes:

Yeah I had to go pirate stream. Not sure what's going on, it was a pain in the rear end just to find the Handmaid's Tale show page.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay so that was a weird episode. What does Gilead hope to accomplish with the plea to return Nichole? Why would Canada or anyone else in Canada bother to care? Gilead has no resources to get at Luke, remember in season 1 they commented on barely even having enough food, they were willing to sell handmaids to Mexico just to get oranges.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Honestly I expect Nichole to be returned and June to somehow end up back at the Waterfords. And then Nick gets demoted to driver again. And then June leers at the camera.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I hope all this has been fleshed out in the/a book or something and is a perfectly executed story beat because this whole thing has the potential to completely jump the shark. There is literally no reason any of this should work.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

I hope all this has been fleshed out in the/a book or something and is a perfectly executed story beat because this whole thing has the potential to completely jump the shark. There is literally no reason any of this should work.

We’re way beyond the book at this point. Season 1 was basically the book and everything else has been a departure. I don’t think we’ll see anything from the show in a book, since the author is publishing her own follow up that isn’t related to the show.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Saucy_Rodent posted:

The weirdest thing about this show is that there’s an imminent Children of Men style apocalypse but the show thinks Gilead’s existence is the worst thing about this world. Like, in fifty years, there will only be like a hundred people alive, right? Solving infertility should be everyone’s top priority.

Certainly the book suggests the problem is eventually solved.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also when the US agent tried to get Serena to defect during her first visit to Canada, he claimed that US scientists had found a cure to the infertility problem. (He could have been lying, of course.)

Since S1 though the series has taken a huge step from "we're critically short of babies, we have to turn every fertile woman into a broodmare for humanity to survive" into "we're just going to enslave women we don't like, lol". The only time there was ever a nod to the rest of the world's fertility crisis was when the Mexican ambassador visited the Waterfords (which was still in the first season). Canada apparently has no problem makin' babies.

Also this season is clearly leaning into retelling the Elian Gonzalez saga, which is a spoiler for how it'll end, I guess.

here's Canadian police taking baby Nicole

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 25, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Also when the US agent tried to get Serena to defect during her first visit to Canada, he claimed that US scientists had found a cure to the infertility problem. (He could have been lying, of course.)

It's super frustrating to me that we've had no follow up on this. I feel that there needs to be more story points that seriously bring into question the legitimacy of Gilead and its justified existence. The leaders of Gilead should be struggling to keep the country afloat. It just comes off as massively unrealistic that the world just stands by and lets them do their own thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 1 of this was just about my favorite show of that year, season 2 was great, but so far i'm just kind of :shrug: about S3. Not bad, just lacks that compelling push the first 2 had.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

It's super frustrating to me that we've had no follow up on this. I feel that there needs to be more story points that seriously bring into question the legitimacy of Gilead and its justified existence. The leaders of Gilead should be struggling to keep the country afloat. It just comes off as massively unrealistic that the world just stands by and lets them do their own thing.

I guess we'll find out more tonight, as the Waterfords are taking their crusade to DC. (My guess is they ignore any worldbuilding/exposition of how Gilead is controlling the country and just focus on lovingly CGI destroyed national monuments)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

Canada apparently has no problem makin' babies.
Didn't they touch on this last episode with Luke buying the baby supplies right before June called? He did the whole "how does anyone even afford this stuff?" to which the response "no one else needs to buy it".

Lum_ posted:

Also this season is clearly leaning into retelling the Elian Gonzalez saga, which is a spoiler for how it'll end, I guess.
Holy poo poo, the kids name was Nicole? This is so on the nose.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
I think the American agent said they were making progress on infertility, not that they had cured it.

At some point they need to cure it, right? The point of Gilead isn’t actually saving the world, it’s enforcing patriarchy. Part of this story needs to have Gilead push forward in spite of everything.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Holy poo poo, the kids name was Nicole? This is so on the nose.

Uh, no, that was my snarky relabeling. Elian Gonzalez was a Cuban boy whose mother died in 1999 while trying to get a leaky boat to Florida, his father stayed in Cuba and was very pro-Castro government, and he and his Miami-based anti-Castro government family feuded messily until the courts ruled in the father's favor and SWAT teams had to storm the house to return him to his father in Cuba. It was very much a political circus with both wings of the family fighting in the media and Handmaid's Tale seems to be going in the same direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli%C3%A1n_Gonz%C3%A1lez

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Didn't they touch on this last episode with Luke buying the baby supplies right before June called? He did the whole "how does anyone even afford this stuff?" to which the response "no one else needs to buy it".

Yeah, I noticed this. But it’s definitely the first time it’s been brought up in a while.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Well, it got addressed last night after a fashion, with High Commander Stabler's brood of 5 stolen kids being the ultimate power move in Gilead.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The scenes between June and Aunt Lydia in this week's episode straight up looked like a Vermeer (or Odd Nerdrum) painting.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
This show has had a lot of hosed up visuals and plot points that have made me literally have to turn off the show and pick it back up later, and I have told my wife that I can't handle more than one episode at a time.

That said, NOTHING hit me as hard as that final scene in DC. Seeing the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial desecrated and seeing that farce of a prayer service being led from (as far as I can tell) the very spot where MLK stood for his I Have A Dream speech just destroyed me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you compare season 1 to season 3 it's a completely different story, from visuals to actual storytelling. And Elisabeth Moss's acting is awful. Her lines are awful.

But I love a dumpster fire and look forward to the continual collapse of this show.

E: Like suddenly Aunt Lydia thinks handmaid abuse is Too Far! :lol: this is the chick that beats their asses constantly. She lit a whole bunch of them up just for June being an idiot. She tried to get them to kill Jeanine, personally. But oh goodness, she doesn't want them ~silenced~. Except for the fact that she constantly kicked their asses into silence and preached it to them throughout season 1 and season 2. It's like the show can't keep their characters straight and it's incredible how bad it is

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 27, 2019

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Aunt Lydia has been breaking down emotional a lot lately. It's pretty obvious that she is mentally getting to the point that she can no longer rationalize her actions. Her line about, 'if I can help only one person' or something like that is obviously what she tells herself to rationalize her actions, but that's not cutting it anymore, if it ever truly was.

A main recurring theme of this season and the last is it's not afraid to let characters be complicated and messy and not just straight forward good/bad (even though they obviously lean hard one way or the other).

Sometimes I wonder if you people are even watching the loving show.

This season has been better than season 2, not as good as season 1, but there are still a few episodes left for this season so we'll see.

I really liked the scene where Nick is boarding the train and all the soldiers are instantly standing and saluting him. Dude's a loving war hero to Gilead, and June and the viewer had no idea before that point, and it totally makes you see him in a new light and as I said earlier, I like making the characters complicated

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

how did nobody have any idea? the guy had a high ranking position in a propaganda master's house. Of course he was some war hero or super supporter or some poo poo.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
It makes no sense. They've introduced Commanders in the past as OG revolutionary leaders IN THE EPISODE WHERE NICK WAS INTRODUCED AS A MINOR HENCHMAN OF THE EYES. It's like there isn't a story bible for this series, just random "wouldn't it be cool" moments ("dude, let's take handmaiden torture UP TO ELEVEN!!1!") that don't hold up to scrutiny (such as June's near constant plot armor where she's now free to tear into Serena Joy in public at the top of her lungs)

I really don't think they have any idea where they're going with this, just playing it by ear like Battlestar Galactica did.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

how did nobody have any idea? the guy had a high ranking position in a propaganda master's house. Of course he was some war hero or super supporter or some poo poo.

Ah yes, the high ranking position of chauffeur and dogsbody. What was the line? ‘Low status, hasn’t been issued a woman?’ It’d be downright crazy to have put any stock in the entire first season depiction of the character.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

Sometimes I wonder if you people are even watching the loving show.

Season 3 threw away any sense of danger, rules, and world building for a very flimsy storyline that no longer holds up. I don't have any faith that the women like Lydia are going to do a 180 and start helping bring about the downfall of Gilead. There's nothing at stake for any of the characters anymore, especially June. The show has thrown out any sense of tension or danger in a country that publicly executes people for the most minor of offenses.

enigmahfc posted:

I really liked the scene where Nick is boarding the train and all the soldiers are instantly standing and saluting him. Dude's a loving war hero to Gilead, and June and the viewer had no idea before that point, and it totally makes you see him in a new light and as I said earlier, I like making the characters complicated

No, this scene was weak as gently caress and made zero sense. It was just shoved in there because someone thought it would look cool, but was completely unearned. Just shoving in some brand new plot point about Nick is lazy.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 27, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I always had the impression Nick was pretty hot poo poo and we're given a few clues suggesting as much in earlier seasons, such as the brief scene of him talking to his Eye supervisor in season 2. I also always thought there was a big contradiction between his position in the Eyes and his willingness to help June, him being some former top operator who now feels guilty about his prior actions would explain it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It took my by surprise for sure, but it 100% makes sense that a former hot-poo poo soldier with half a brain in his head would end up as a secret police attached to a family that's fallen under scrutiny. It's a relatively simple, somewhat cushy job that still has a lot of importance - perfect for "we want this soldier to keep working for us but we can't keep sending him to the front non-stop"

Also I don't see Lydia switching sides anytime soon. She's starting to crack, sure, but she's a true believer, and the reason she loses it over the mouth rings thing isn't because she thinks they've gone too far, but because she believes she can make the handmaidens perfect for Gilead without resorting to that kind of thing. The show has repeatedly demonstrated how quickly her sympathy for June dissipates.
It's not like giving Emily a clitorectomy or cutting out Janine's eye caused her to even raise an eyebrow. The mouth rings are not too barbaric for her, they just don't gel with her particular brand of discipline. "No dear, I don't think all handmaids should be silenced" bullshit, anytime Janine opens her mouth out comes Mr. Cattle Prod.

Also, the Swiss diplomat specifically mentions nobody has hosed with Gilead because they have a ton of military power. Imagine the current US military, except all the psycho fundamentalist militias have joined up with them now too. Even in today's world I think Canada would back down from an actual military conflict with the US.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also, the Swiss diplomat specifically mentions nobody has hosed with Gilead because they have a ton of military power. Imagine the current US military, except all the psycho fundamentalist militias have joined up with them now too. Even in today's world I think Canada would back down from an actual military conflict with the US.

The fact that Nick is being dispatched to oversee street fighting in Chicago (along with maps showing the entire West Coast and much of the southeast under rebel control) rather diminishes the narrative of a militarily powerful Gilead.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lum_ posted:

The fact that Nick is being dispatched to oversee street fighting in Chicago (along with maps showing the entire West Coast and much of the southeast under rebel control) rather diminishes the narrative of a militarily powerful Gilead.

I disagree, especially since they showed a lot of stuff immediately pre-Gilead last season. If they seized power in DC/the northeast and pushed outward from there, it makes sense that the west and south aren't under their control yet, but it also makes sense that they must have a hell of a military if whatever factions remained loyal to the US didn't immediately crush their coup attempt.

I also don't see what reason a diplomat would have to lie to a nobody when confronted over why the rest of the world doesn't just storm in and restore normalcy. Gilead has to have at least a world-stage-level military force, plus I'd have to assume they control at least some of the old US' nuclear arsenal as an additional deterrent.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I got curious and googled the map they show:

It's hard to tell but the light red areas are "Districts under conflict" and only the dark red is "Rebel-occupied areas."

OTOH, Chicago is firmly within a blue zone, so there's obviously a disconnect there. Overall I think the conflicting sources is interesting, but I still think that they've got a strong enough military to be putting pressure on Canada, with Europe watching on from afar.

Also part of New England is considered a rebel-occupied area, but if you look close it's marked as New Gilead so :iiam:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The writing and atmosphere isn't nearly as tight as it used to be but I'm still watching.

Lum_ posted:

My assumption is the rebellion started with military and law enforcement elements that didn't accept the coup.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So do they take the rings out if you get knocked up or did they magically invent a cure to morning sickness?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So do they take the rings out if you get knocked up or did they magically invent a cure to morning sickness?

There's always a much worse option in Gilead.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

"Man, we keep loosing babies and handmaid to asphyxiation.... weird"

Oh yeah, I guess they just eat smoothies once a day. Exactly what makes healthy babies.

Remember when the creators said they could do this show forever?

I hope hulu cancels it so we get some closure, cause this just sucks.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

"Man, we keep loosing babies and handmaid to asphyxiation.... weird"

Oh yeah, I guess they just eat smoothies once a day. Exactly what makes healthy babies.

Remember when the creators said they could do this show forever?

I hope hulu cancels it so we get some closure, cause this just sucks.

Wow it's so rude of them to come to your house and force you to watch it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Wow it's so rude of them to come to your house and force you to watch it.

Denies us a good ending and decreases rewatch value.. :colbert:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
If I want to see an endless succession of misery and betrayals, I don't need TV for that.

Everything is just totally stagnating. There's a vague hope of this and that, and bam! back to the Waterfords. I get that they're both played by such wonderful actors, but they should let June kill them and hire other wonderful actors, kinda like what good shows like the Sopranos did. Don't be afraid to whack a few main characters once in a while. That thing with Nick is also some real bullshit. Did you know the Martha in the Waterford household is really the grand chancellor of all aunts? Ooh, sorry, I gave away an important plot point.

Every episode, I'm hoping to see June finally go Sarah Connor from Terminator 2 with the baton and the syringe full of bleach, but the problem this show has is a little similar to that "V" show ten years ago: When the decisive battle finally starts, it's all over for this show, so they're either never going to get there or make that the last episode after they got cancelled. So the future is going to be intense close-ups of June and Serena stomping on our faces, forever.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I don’t get the hate. I love this show. I started watching it just after I had my daughter and Trump was elected. It scared the shitballs out of me and still does.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The hate is mostly because the main character is taking and getting away with some insane risks. June yelling at Serena in a public place like that would have been absolutely unthinkable in the first 2 seasons.

The book ended where the first season ended, and the writers just aren't Margaret Atwood-level writers and their original plots are having trouble keeping the unique tone they had from the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
That’s fair. And yeah the staring into the camera is a bit much. But it still gets into my drat soul. The thought that this isn’t out of the realm of possibility? Maybe being a woman with a newborn daughter with Trump having just been elected....
I thought Atwood was involved in this latest season?