Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Next week we get Aunt Lydia backstory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I can't find a good screenshot of it, but I think when June was to go fetch Darwin's book, there was another book below it, written by Lawrence himself.
Did I see this right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:lol: serena's gonna end up with a "miracle pregnancy" after she gets nicole back and/or she decides to run off to canada.

Also, all these pointless hangings where no one can see them is stupid.
E: :lol: june should be dead 35 times over this season. Her plot armor is stronger than any I've ever seen before. Holy poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 3, 2019

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

screamin and creamin posted:

Nothing of any consequence happened this week.

This is the whole loving season. The whole thing is wearing thin because I think the more time we spend with Gilead, the more it’s continued existence doesn’t make sense in 2019 (or whatever year it is, but basically present or near future). Unless the show pivots hard to the fall of Gilead, I’m over it.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
So when do we finally see Twisted Sister at Carnegie Hall?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jai Guru Dave posted:

So when do we finally see Twisted Sister at Carnegie Hall?

No no no we'll go to Carnegie Hall for an Event and June will have some daydream flashback to that time she went to Carnegie Hall as an editor for whatever reason and she saw men flirting with a waitress and she should have known then THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL!!!! and then it turns into a mass blessing for a bunch of handmaids that aren't pregnant yet. It's a mass ceremony! Horrors! Nightmares! Fred and Serena are placed right beside Lawrence! Politics! Bad things! It cuts to Canada where Samira somehow falls for another prison chick! The show shrieks how progressive it is as two lesbian characters make out! It intersplices with June getting raped! Sex! Rape! Sex! Rape!. June and the Lawrences return home! June is chastised for her behavior with whatever her new market buddy's name is because I can't keep these people straight, who even are half of these characters?! New market buddy is hanged for her lies about June's attack even though literally everyone saw it! close up on June's face as she smirks and internalizes some bible verse about how vengeance is bad but no it's actually good, and edgily adds in "fuckers" at the end while she does that weird cringe-smirk thing she does.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode sure was an episode of TV that I watched

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I loving hate this show and I want it to end. I actually hope that while that happens, everyone in it loving dies except for the gay Canadian government guy who used to vacation in the US with his husband. Both he and his husband can live.

Seriously. The only other show that has had as many episodes leading up to a reveal (that I assume will be as horrible) is Designated Survivor. But that show magically kept me interested for the first 10 or so episodes.

I shall now check out THT subreddit because I hate myself. I will admit that I'm a bit biased to all of this because I actually know. a lot about (non-fictional) Canadian immigration law but OMG YOU CANNOT EXTRADITE A BABY. IT'S CALLED REPATRIATING. And no, Canada does not return refugees to places where they are at risk of cruel and unusual treatment even if they have committed crimes.*

* I will admit that it's a little bit more complicated than that but the current theory on r/THT is that now that Moira and Emily have been arrested they will be extradited. Which is so crazy and I'm happy to go into detail about Canadian refugee law but I understand that it's not really worth it because, you know, fictional universe here. But seriously, extradition is a complicated process that does not just begin and end bc one country says so. It is for people facing/convicted of criminal charges and, although possible, Canada does not make a habit of returning people to countries where they would be at risk of cruel and unusual treatment.

I'm not sure whether I hate THT show or subreddit more, actually. Maybe they can both just die.

luscious fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 4, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there is an inadvertently fatal circularity to the show's logic. one of gilead's great crimes is to reduce women to their reproductive function, to making children. the heroic concern of the female protagonists, meanwhile, in response to this great crime, has been.. to focus endlessly on their intimate relationships and their children to the exclusion of almost any other concern.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

luscious posted:

I loving hate this show and I want it to end. I actually hope that while that happens, everyone in it loving dies except for the gay Canadian government guy who used to vacation in the US with his husband. Both he and his husband can live.

Seriously. The only other show that has had as many episodes leading up to a reveal (that I assume will be as horrible) is Designated Survivor. But that show magically kept me interested for the first 10 or so episodes.

I shall now check out THT subreddit because I hate myself. I will admit that I'm a bit biased to all of this because I actually know. a lot about (non-fictional) Canadian immigration law but OMG YOU CANNOT EXTRADITE A BABY. IT'S CALLED REPATRIATING. And no, Canada does not return refugees to places where they are at risk of cruel and unusual treatment even if they have committed crimes.*

* I will admit that it's a little bit more complicated than that but the current theory on r/THT is that now that Moira and Emily have been arrested they will be extradited. Which is so crazy and I'm happy to go into detail about Canadian refugee law but I understand that it's not really worth it because, you know, fictional universe here. But seriously, extradition is a complicated process that does not just begin and end bc one country says so. It is for people facing/convicted of criminal charges and, although possible, Canada does not make a habit of returning people to countries where they would be at risk of cruel and unusual treatment.

I'm not sure whether I hate THT show or subreddit more, actually. Maybe they can both just die.

yeah no please do I have a notepad ready for 2020, thank you

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...
Why do people watch shows that they hate so much?

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
I like the show. There are frustrations, lots of them, but it’s more good than bad. Yeah, I was mad when June didn’t just go to Canada. But Bradley Whitford doing the Bradley Whitfordest Bradley Whitford in the history of Bradley Whitford? Hell yeah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game of Thrones Season 8 level of bad is the new bar for me and it hasn’t hit that point thankfully.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Had a chance to watch the new episode. June's thick as gently caress plot armor saves the day again.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

I said come in! posted:

Game of Thrones Season 8 level of bad is the new bar for me and it hasn’t hit that point thankfully.

This is considerably worse than got season 8 and I was a thoroughgoing season 8 hater

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

andrew smash posted:

This is considerably worse than got season 8 and I was a thoroughgoing season 8 hater

After episode 7 I have to give serious consideration to this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That episode was real bad.

Way to blow your scrap of information about your daughter, June. No plan at all it seems. Was she just going there to look at her?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PostNouveau posted:

That episode was real bad.

Way to blow your scrap of information about your daughter, June. No plan at all it seems. Was she just going there to look at her?

Well, to look at her daughter and endanger a bunch of other people.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

u brexit ukip it posted:

Well, to look at her daughter and endanger a bunch of other people.

They need to do away with insane mothers who send their babies to Canada because these babies can't fight back. It was on the news this mroing a mother in Gilead who missed her kid, they are sending th babby back to D.C. too lady Waterford. my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots.

It's great if the writers base a show on an old meme.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

screamin and creamin posted:

They need to do away with insane mothers who send their babies to Canada because these babies can't fight back. It was on the news this mroing a mother in Gilead who missed her kid, they are sending th babby back to D.C. too lady Waterford. my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots.

It's great if the writers base a show on an old meme.

does that mean season 1 was literally "how handmaid get pragnet"

because if so, now I love the show again.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Okay, I am sticking with the show so far and I'm more positive on it than much of this thread, but Jesus this last episode has gone way too loving far with the plot armor. And with the pattern of June acting irrationally, other people suffering the consequences, and her not learning a single goddamn thing. It would've been a better show if she had gone to Canada, because it would have been free of the conceit of having to keep her alive and doing acts of resistance while Gilead puts up with it because ???

I don't care about consistency in terms of "how does Gilead's economy function" etc because who cares, but in a dystopian story I do care about the consistency of "you're in a totalitarian system, you act up, you get punished". And it works for everyone except the main character for no real reason.

Edit: also I thought we were going to find out more about Nick, but nope, so the question still stands of how the hell did he get promoted instead of killed what the gently caress

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Cory Snyder posted:

Why do people watch shows that they hate so much?

I actually don't hate the show. I just hate the writers at times. I loved most of seasons 1 and 2 and have really enjoyed parts of season 3.

I want to like the show as much as I did for most of seasons 1 and 2. I think that it can go interesting places when it's not bogged down with the most bullshit of bullshit. Unfortunately so much of it seems to become bullshit of bullshit.

I actually have no problems with jumping ship. I have stopped watching a lot of shows and ditch out on books on a regular basis as well. I just want to like this show again and keep thinking "well maybe next episode..."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Already deep into season 3, might as well just keep watching it but if the end of the season isn't satisfying then i'm not going to continue onto season 4.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Same. I've started skipping scenes left and right. I was hooked by a tense, claustrophobic thriller. Now it's like an Adventure/Horror where the plot armor's so thick it's turning into just Adventure.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

I said come in! posted:

Had a chance to watch the new episode. June's thick as gently caress plot armor saves the day again.

June is the Deadpool of handmaids

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

God this episode was awful. I'm glad we're in the cycle of "the Waterford love each other again but a dark looming secret will surely tear them apart...again"

Also very cool of June to be so oblivious that she blames the black handmaid for that Martha's hanging instead of, y'know, herself, for unsuccessfully roping the Martha into her plot armor bubble

e: I did think it was neat how the others formed a screen around June and the other handmaid (ofmatthew?) when they were fighting but jesus gently caress, there was a cop car right there, that was infinitely more stupid than the shouting match at the Lincoln Memorial.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 5, 2019

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Dang it I’m starting to feel extremely frustrated with this show again. I don’t want redemption arcs for the villains, I wanted someone to drop a bomb on that dance party.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I think this season Nicole will be returned to Gilead then the only possible way out for June is to take down the whole society which will be season 4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Previously on the Handmaids Tale

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

remigious posted:

I wanted someone to drop a bomb on that dance party.

I *literally* said the exact thing to my wife. I paused the show and said "you know what this party needs? A bomb"

At least the daughter is gone now so we should hopefully see poo poo ramp up, but we're at the mid point so count down to season finale where something happens*

* that doesnt ultimately matter in the end. Unless its Mr. Waterford getting done dirty :wink: by his boss, but this show is so dumb now they may not even realize they're telegraphing the chemistry and instead the real drama is 'she cant get her daughter back afterall cause waterford is all about that promotion and she'll turn to june again for help getting out of the country so she can be with her daughter'

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Its probably been asked by now but what are the borders of Gilead? East coast up to the Canadian border and West to Chicago? Why aren't people escaping to florida? What's going on in Texas?? How did they take New York, fuhgeddabouit?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Its probably been asked by now but what are the borders of Gilead? East coast up to the Canadian border and West to Chicago? Why aren't people escaping to florida? What's going on in Texas?? How did they take New York, fuhgeddabouit?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I got curious and googled the map they show:

It's hard to tell but the light red areas are "Districts under conflict" and only the dark red is "Rebel-occupied areas."

OTOH, Chicago is firmly within a blue zone, so there's obviously a disconnect there. Overall I think the conflicting sources is interesting, but I still think that they've got a strong enough military to be putting pressure on Canada, with Europe watching on from afar.

Also part of New England is considered a rebel-occupied area, but if you look close it's marked as New Gilead so :iiam:

Although as has been noted, the show isn't always consistent with this map, and the details of the 'revolution' (with nuclear war, even) are mostly unclear.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

season finale where something happens*

* that doesnt ultimately matter in the end.

That's the problem. This show had one too many somethings that didn't matter. In retrospect I think it was the bomb at the commanders' meeting. A nuke in the ballroom at the end of this episode would have resulted in everyone emerging with lots of crossed band-aids at the beginning the next one.

I'll believe that anyone of importance died after they show their body in two pieces. Three each for the Waterfords.

I really don't mind June's plot armor, but everyone else's. Someday a tell-all book will come out by the producers in which they'll explain that all principal actors were able to negotiate five-season contracts with a no-kill-off clause and no less than eight close-ups per episode for June and Serena because Hulu needed its first hit.

I realize June isn't going to become Sarah Connor, but there are still so many places the writers could take this show if they'd let June be a little intelligent and weren't so afraid to shake things up a little by introducing some interesting characters. I'm seriously wondering if the script was found among Phyllis Schlafly's things and written to show how women like June are dumb and inconsequential.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Unfortunately for June et al, everyone who could pick up a g-g-gun without getting the vapors apparently joined the Gilead crew, so the only weapon for the #resistance is clenched teeth and angry stares.

They've got a whole network of Marthas in the households of Gilead's most powerful men but I guess none of them ever looked down at their kitchen knife and thought, hmm I could put this in that dude's throat no fuckin problem. (apologies if somebody actually did that at one point, it's been a while)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm not really sure what people want this show to be. For me I'm happy with the June and Waterford character drama we're getting, I don't need this show to be Game of Thrones or Westworld.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn’t mind June and Waterford character drama if it wasn’t dumb as poo poo and breaking every established rule the show set up

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm not really sure what people want this show to be. For me I'm happy with the June and Waterford character drama we're getting, I don't need this show to be Game of Thrones or Westworld.

The Waterford/June melodrama schlock felt played out over a season ago. Their scenes are now the worst part of the show and suffocate everything else interesting that they try to do. So I would like them to shift main focus on other characters and stories, put more focus on world building or even retool the premise completely and turn this into a resistance show. Otherwise I'm probably out soon.

(Don't get me wrong, I liked season 1 and the premise and "enjoyed" watching it. But there is only so long you can watch a one trick pony without getting bored and annoyed.)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

At least for me the problem began with season 2, and how completely bland, repetitive and uninteresting the June-Waterford thing became. I mean yeah, the glares, etc. have high production values but geez Louise at the actual writing. So naturally I was kind of excited at the start of this season, since we got the completely deranged Himmler commander instead of Fred, Alexis Bledel's PTSD was interesting, and there were even fleeting moments of pondering how Gilead at large can function as a society. And then a few episodes in not only do they hint that June would maybe possibly go into cahoots with rape-engineer Serena, but they use this cunning twist to bring us right back into the Waterfords being needlessly sadistic back-stabbers for June to glare at. Again.

Still gonna keep watching though :(

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I just get serious lost vibes, like now that they're way beyond the books they're rudderless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Pham Nuwen posted:

Unfortunately for June et al, everyone who could pick up a g-g-gun without getting the vapors apparently joined the Gilead crew, so the only weapon for the #resistance is clenched teeth and angry stares.

They've got a whole network of Marthas in the households of Gilead's most powerful men but I guess none of them ever looked down at their kitchen knife and thought, hmm I could put this in that dude's throat no fuckin problem. (apologies if somebody actually did that at one point, it's been a while)

Uhh apparently Chicago and about 50% of the country is full of people who are shooting at Gilead and people are also blowing themselves up in suicide bombings.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I just get serious lost vibes, like now that they're way beyond the books they're rudderless.

We have a plan, we have a plan, we have a plan!

Whoops turns out we didn't have a plan.