Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I am way more interested in how the world and Gilead actually functions economically and socially than I am about June's story. Also about history and what actually created the decline in birth rates.

Plus all the stories of others. I really liked the POV of the characters pre-Gilead showing their development and motivations. Also the shorts of June and her mom and so on showing how Gilead came to be. At least there was some Janine pathos toward the end. I hoped she would stay with the militia group to leave the thread open-ended instead of her going with June, which meant she was certainly going not do that and then die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I noticed early on they do these super long shots of June crying and at first its emotional but as it drags on and on and on it just becomes maudlin. Five straight minutes of her banging on the window of a car.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I just want an episode with some flow charts

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

fart simpson posted:

you’d be one of seven people actually watching it at that point.

yea. what else is new?

SirPablo posted:

Gilead has a super powerful military. Also computers are basically no where to be found.

yea how do they support it? Is it all battery and green energy/nuclear-based? Even the planes? Long distance transport of supplies is all by mag-lev trains somehow? how do they build and maintain all of this without supply lines and industry? Who are their engineers and other experts? Not letting women do this stuff is a huge brain drain already!

I have so many questions!

Vanderdeath posted:

I just chalk that up to "Gilead has more nukes than every other nation combined" so they can and will get away with heinous crimes against humanity.

Also, that was my impression. They are willing to use nuclear weapons at the drop of a hat and they have most of the young men brainwashed and on their side. Whereas older military/intelligence people would tend not to go with them and would stick with the US or form their own country.

They suspended the constitution using a terrorist false-flag but there are so many other details of the events surrounding that that I want to know. They could tell that story through other character flashbacks.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the only justification I can think of is that June has several "allies" among the commanders and all the smart commanders except the one economics dude are dead. So Nick and the rest of the commanders know who she is but they don't disseminate the information out of fear she could become a symbol or martyr or it's always someone else's problem, like the aunts or Nick and his crack team of henchmen.

Do they know for a fact it was her who did the plane of kids?

Also, it's outright said the working class of Gilead doesn't buy into Gilead as a country or their crazy beliefs at all but goes along with it because of the potential consequences if they don't.

If I have to invent head canon like this it is terrible writing because absolutely they'd be passing out pictures of her just saying she is a criminal and keep on the look out. like wtf

wtf is up with Chicago? none of it makes sense.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I don't need detailed TED talks about the economics of Gilead or schematics of the wind-powered military installations ]

I just want some flow charts. the barest explanation on how the economy works. Even star citizen has that.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
There was one episode where they show the working class for a bit. I assume doctors are among it, if maybe more important or "wealthy." The working class live in apartments, mostly, and do all the actual work, including the laundry.

June hides in the apartment of one guy (who may know who she is but def knows she's a handmaiden) and she discovers he is Muslim. He protects her but then he and his family go to church and don't return so she bails.

Ironically, only the little people are required to go to church. The commanders and their wives and children don't have to. Handmaidens and aunts have their own thing, obviously. Idk about marthas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Fred's dead. They bashed him in the head.