Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

More of a lore question; how much authority does Aunt Lydia have over the handmaids? If she wants to send one randomly to the wall can she make it so, or does she have to justify (granted justification that the commanders will accept is a super low bar) why one should be executed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Do you really think they would let a woman decide if one of their rape/breeding targets gets killed?

What about the first episode of Season 2 though? That seemed like it was Aunt Lydia's decision wasn't it? They have no issues at least letting the aunts torture and/or request a handmaid get a limb amputated. The aunts seem to have a lot of power/sway despite being women, likely because they have the most contact and control over the handmaids. They even let the aunts have weapons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Having the worst luck watching the Handmaid's Tale tonight, it appears to have been completely removed from Hulu. :yikes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay so that was a weird episode. What does Gilead hope to accomplish with the plea to return Nichole? Why would Canada or anyone else in Canada bother to care? Gilead has no resources to get at Luke, remember in season 1 they commented on barely even having enough food, they were willing to sell handmaids to Mexico just to get oranges.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Also when the US agent tried to get Serena to defect during her first visit to Canada, he claimed that US scientists had found a cure to the infertility problem. (He could have been lying, of course.)

It's super frustrating to me that we've had no follow up on this. I feel that there needs to be more story points that seriously bring into question the legitimacy of Gilead and its justified existence. The leaders of Gilead should be struggling to keep the country afloat. It just comes off as massively unrealistic that the world just stands by and lets them do their own thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

Sometimes I wonder if you people are even watching the loving show.

Season 3 threw away any sense of danger, rules, and world building for a very flimsy storyline that no longer holds up. I don't have any faith that the women like Lydia are going to do a 180 and start helping bring about the downfall of Gilead. There's nothing at stake for any of the characters anymore, especially June. The show has thrown out any sense of tension or danger in a country that publicly executes people for the most minor of offenses.

enigmahfc posted:

I really liked the scene where Nick is boarding the train and all the soldiers are instantly standing and saluting him. Dude's a loving war hero to Gilead, and June and the viewer had no idea before that point, and it totally makes you see him in a new light and as I said earlier, I like making the characters complicated

No, this scene was weak as gently caress and made zero sense. It was just shoved in there because someone thought it would look cool, but was completely unearned. Just shoving in some brand new plot point about Nick is lazy.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 27, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Miranda posted:

I don’t get the hate. I love this show. I started watching it just after I had my daughter and Trump was elected. It scared the shitballs out of me and still does.

The first two seasons are great, but the ending of season 2 was a glimpse at things to come with regards to the massive drop in quality and season 3 so far has been really bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game of Thrones Season 8 level of bad is the new bar for me and it hasn’t hit that point thankfully.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Had a chance to watch the new episode. June's thick as gently caress plot armor saves the day again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

andrew smash posted:

This is considerably worse than got season 8 and I was a thoroughgoing season 8 hater

After episode 7 I have to give serious consideration to this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Already deep into season 3, might as well just keep watching it but if the end of the season isn't satisfying then i'm not going to continue onto season 4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Previously on the Handmaids Tale

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It just comes down to inconsistent bad writing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay last nights episode was maybe the first good episode of the season? It still had its problems, but like, the Lydia flashback was incredibly good and well done in my opinion. I enjoyed that part a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Let's see, if we assume they're just going to take the most miserable route in every scenario, I am going to guess that Ofmatthew is brain dead, and they keep her alive in a vegetative state as a birth pod.

ooh god yeah about that, you actually 100% called it based on the preview for next episode haha.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I thought it was awful. Are we supposed to sympathize with her for even a second? Or is it just adding more fuel to the "yes, Lydia is an awful person under it all" fire, because we already knew she's the loving worst.

I don't know who i'm suppose to sympathize with anymore. It sure as gently caress isn't June. It would be everyone in Canada, but we don't see them enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oh baby, heaven is a place on earth.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didn’t expect to watch an actual good episode.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

I'm beginning to dislike Elisabeth Moss so much in this I find myself retroactively disliking Peggy Olsen.

I just remind myself that it is the character that sucks. There is nothing wrong with Elisabeth Moss in my opinion. June is so horrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

On how Gilead will react to a hundred or so kids taking a Canadian vacation:

(note: this is the person actually writing the series. "What's it going to lead to? Ya got me, man!" Also, clearly Gilead does *not* have "100% of the US military" or there would be no rebellion.)

This is stupid though and ignores so many logistical considerations. The U.S. military is massively expensive to maintain, about 500 billion dollars a year at least. Its arsenal also covers the entirety of America, and has bases around the world. Gilead would not have access to even a quarter of the U.S. weapons and military vehicles if the maps we have seen on the show, are accurate. And then the writers are ignoring all of the staffing, and years of training, necessary to maintain this military. We've had multiple episodes that explained the world population is on a serious decline, and that Gilead is poor and hurting hard for money and resources.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BattyKiara posted:

I want to see what Gilead does to the widow of the commander who died at Jezebels. How long will they leave her alone? No way Gilead will allow a single mum, no matter previous status. So children split up and adopted by new commanders? Widow becomes an Aunt? Or is placed with a family for safe keeping?

It sounds like at best a wife in Gilead becomes a Martha once their commander dies. I mean, she was pretty scared at the thought of her husband not coming back, but only because the consequences for her would be severe. I'm really interested in the lore behind this but I doubt it'll ever be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

This show is so bad.

I was wondering if Season 4 was any better. Every single thing about season 3 was horrible, so I wasn't going to bother with season 4 unless there was a lot of praise for it in this thread. I really deep down wanted season 4 to be good though.